PDA

View Full Version : Lower wiring harness issues

Russell R Coe
09-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Something to keep on the records regarding the lower wiring harness.

My starter went out a couple of weeks ago, luckily I was just leaving my work when it happened and had access to another vehicle to use. I do not have the tools to do this job myself so had the car flat bedded over to my Indy for the replacement. All is well and good, I get the car back the next day and was driving to work and all on the sudden while I m driving along the starter motor engages, WTF. Once again luck was with me and I was only 1 block from the mechanics shop.
He is baffled at what could have happened, but says he will order another starter motor at no charge to me, and check out what is going on with it all. He did some diagnostics running wiring from the ignition switch down to the starter, and while he was moving all this around he moved the harness and Bingo the starter engaged. I ordered a new lower wiring harness while he removed the old, and the pictures attached show you what a state it was in. Without pulling this old harness out, and from looking at the ends while still in the car everything looked fine, but alas it was not.

Here is part of the famous $5,000.00 in deferred maintenance that Gerry is talking about with these cars. If it has not been changed, and Im thinking regardless of mileage this is what your lower harness will look like inside the sheathing. My car has 230,000 mile on it, so I consider myself pretty lucky that I got this far before this happened.

Klink
09-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Something to keep on the records regarding the lower wiring harness.

My starter went out a couple of weeks ago, luckily I was just leaving my work when it happened and had access to another vehicle to use. I do not have the tools to do this job myself so had the car flat bedded over to my Indy for the replacement. All is well and good, I get the car back the next day and was driving to work and all on the sudden while I ‘m driving along the starter motor engages, WTF. Once again luck was with me and I was only 1 block from the mechanics shop.
He is baffled at what could have happened, but says he will order another starter motor at no charge to me, and check out what is going on with it all. He did some diagnostics running wiring from the ignition switch down to the starter, and while he was moving all this around he moved the harness and Bingo the starter engaged. I ordered a new lower wiring harness while he removed the old, and the pictures attached show you what a state it was in. Without pulling this old harness out, and from looking at the ends while still in the car everything looked fine, but alas it was not.

Here is part of the famous $5,000.00 in deferred maintenance that Gerry is talking about with these cars. If it has not been changed, and I’m thinking regardless of mileage this is what your lower harness will look like inside the sheathing. My car has 230,000 mile on it, so I consider myself pretty lucky that I got this far before this happened.

Permanent starter engagement is actually one of the more common symptoms of a disintegrated lower harness. No starter engagement is also one of the most common. Both intermittently happening on the same car, but obviously at different times is also not uncommon. Those lower harnesses are a menace, and they do occasionally cause significant additional damage. When you can see they have started to disintegrate, they need to be replaced ASAP. Just saying that for the benefit of others. I'm glad nothing much worse happened with yours. That situation in inexpert hands can turn into a Car-B-Q...

:bbq:

gerryvz
09-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Well, you're a bit under your $5K allotment...for now. But it builds back up again fast :)

Thanks for sharing.

KarlC
09-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Here is part of the famous $5,000.00 in deferred maintenance that Gerry is talking about with these cars.

This of course has to be true with ANY 20+ year old car that has not been thoroughly maintained. The nice thing about W124s is that they where built so well in the fist place, they should not need as much maintenance and repairs along the way.

Stevester 500E
09-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Generally, these MBS are built like a brick house.
What makes them prone with issues are thinks like wiring harness . .

So what would you guys say are weak point of the 500e?
With my little experience it would be:
Harnesses (biodegradable junk)
ETA (biodegradable junk)
plastic cam oiler tubes
strut bushings
transmissions (I say this because I have hear of people having issue with sub 100K mile cars and my un-taken care of ford explorer lasted to 178K before issues, and the Ford trannies don't have the greatest reputation either).

Any others have a 500e weak point list or deferred maintenance item list?

I have to replace my lower harness before my car goes haywire.

Stevester 500E
09-17-2014, 06:45 PM
oops, I just saw this thread:

First 500E. Parts availability, typical faults, what to look for, reliability etc (http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6512).

Cancel my questions