PDA

View Full Version : Another sign of the decline of the brand

Prime
11-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Posted by a reliable source on another forum:

After the first of the year, Mercedes-Benz vehicles must meet certain criteria to be eligible for Roadside Assistance. Vehicles currently under any Mercedes-Benz warranty – New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Extended Limited Warranty, Certified Pre-owned Warranty – still qualify and so do vehicles that are out of warranty “if” that vehicle is regularly serviced by an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership. What qualifies as serviced by a dealership? A single transaction of at least $100 during the 18 months prior to the Roadside call or “if” the vehicle was purchased directly from an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer by the current owner prior to January 4, 2011.

What this means is Mercedes-Benz vehicles that are no longer under warranty and are not regularly serviced by an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership, or not purchased directly from an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership are no longer eligible for Roadside Assistance. So, those complimentary services such as jump-starts, tows to a dealership, flat tire changes, etc. are basically being phased out for MB owners that don’t occasionally visit the dealership for service.

gerryvz
11-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Not a surprise, but a sad state of affairs for MB owners in the US. I've been sort of wondering what took them so long. It was such a nice perk for MB ownership (though little-known among many owners, particularly of used and vintage cars).

I've had AAA for the last umpteen years so have always used them (well, I think two or three times in like 15 years, a couple of times my wife actually) and IMHO AAA is better, plus they provide a free tow if you need that.

I did use the MB service once about 10 years ago when the 450SEL 6.9 I once had ran out of gas on a Sunday afternoon in northwest Portland, sort of in an industrial area, about 5 miles from my house back then. The MB service wagon came within 30-40 minutes and gave me a free gallon of gas to get me home / to the nearest gas station.

It has always been a nice PR thing for MB owners and something that MBUSA could hold up against competitors like Lexus, etc. as something of value and that was unique for MB owners particularly. No longer.

Thanks for the info on this. Guess I'll never be eligible for this as none of my cars have seen the inside of an actual MB dealer service department for at least 10 years.

Cheers,
Gerry

gsxr
11-18-2010, 12:07 PM
My cars all end up at the dealership for alignments. I don't trust any place else to get MB alignments done properly. The dealer has always gotten the alignments done right, for - drumroll please - $100 even. Bummer I don't get them done every 18 months though!

:5150:

gerryvz
11-18-2010, 03:18 PM
There are a number of decent shops with Hunter machines around my area (and also a couple in Portland) that know how to set up MB alignments correctly. Dealer is always a safe place for this, but you can get by with a knowledgeable indy alignment shop too. The main thing is demonstrated Benz familiarity. Going rate by my local Hunter-equipped shop is $125 for a Benz alignment.

Cheers,
Gerry