PDA

View Full Version : need2speed lives again!

need2speed
12-02-2015, 04:05 PM
need2speed lives again!

Glen
12-02-2015, 04:12 PM
WooHoo...congrats Dean!
Pix please :-)

gsxr
12-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Neeeed details!!! C63, it seems? Black series maybe?

:drool5:

Allgonquin
12-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Do tell!

7delta
12-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Teasing isn't nice[emoji51]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

need2speed
12-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Crappy phone pic will be replaced soon. Run-out 2015 Edition 507, last and I hope best of the might Mercedes V-8.

Peterwissner
12-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Congratulations Dean! Awesome car, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

carreraboy911
12-02-2015, 09:38 PM
nice ! side by side pic with the 036 is mandatory :D

Glasgo_Chris
12-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Great looking car! Enjoy

need2speed
12-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Congratulations Dean! Awesome car, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

Hi Peter, we'll have to meet up this Spring for the requested side-by-side pics! Hope all is well with my old girlfriend ;-)

need2speed
12-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Interesting comparison of weights and dimensions. They are pretty close!

Roma_500E
12-03-2015, 02:24 AM
Wow ! that is the awesome V8 track car ! drives sounds and pulls amazing ! Congratulations ! The best color choice to me !

TerryA
12-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Dean,

Congradulations!! That looks like one "BADASS CAR". I like your choices. White looks "AWESOME".
Use the WHIP to HELL w/ the TICKETS.

Do you plan on running it in the SilverState sometime?

Great looking car have fun w/ it.

gsxr
12-03-2015, 08:49 AM
How about Mojave Magnum in April 2015? Couple folks are thinking about that... myself included...

:124fast:

need2speed
12-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Dean,

Congradulations!! That looks like one "BADASS CAR". I like your choices. White looks "AWESOME".
Use the WHIP to HELL w/ the TICKETS.

Great looking car have fun w/ it.

Yes Terry, that is the plan. Much easier to obtain race-specific mods for this one! Weischers has a bolt-in cage...

need2speed
12-03-2015, 08:55 AM
How about Mojave Magnum in April 2015? Couple folks are thinking about that... myself included...

:124fast:

Dave, that would be awesome to field a 500eboard team for some event but in April I will be travelling. Don't know about the Mojave Magnum, will check it out.

gsxr
12-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Dave, that would be awesome to field a 500eboard team for some event but in April I will be travelling. Don't know about the Mojave Magnum, will check it out.
Dean, I did the standard Mojave Mile back in 2012 along with Jano, and it was a blast. The Magnum event is 1.5 miles. Here's a link to our escapades:
http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627

See post #60 for pics & video. Requirements for car & driver are relatively moderate if your speed will be under 200mph. Over 200, it gets complicated.

:roadrunner:

need2speed
12-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Dean, I did the standard Mojave Mile back in 2012 along with Jano, and it was a blast. The Magnum event is 1.5 miles. Here's a link to our escapades:
http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627

See post #60 for pics & video. Requirements for car & driver are relatively moderate if your speed will be under 200mph. Over 200, it gets complicated.

:roadrunner:

Cool, it was fun to revisit that thread. Be a great chance to test the Race Start feature, although the hot shoes say they do better without it. One consideration is the travel involved so we like to participate in the longer events to make it worthwhile. The Silver State is a week-long gala!

need2speed
12-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Wow ! that is the awesome V8 track car ! drives sounds and pulls amazing ! Congratulations ! The best color choice to me !

Thanks! Normally I'm one to scoff at discussions of color choice but this was very appealing and maybe even sealed the deal. I had a poster on my wall as a teenager of a 911 Targa in white with black trim and have always lusted after that combo. Now I'm leaning towards de-badging as well...

gsxr
12-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Cool, it was fun to revisit that thread. Be a great chance to test the Race Start feature, although the hot shoes say they do better without it.
Oddly enough, a hard launch does little if anything for peak trap speeds, and the officials frown on wheelspin at the starting line. A hard launch helps ET's at the dragstrip, but the standing mile / 1.5 mile trials don't provide you a time, only a speed. You can have data acquisition boxes / recorders in the car if you want to get ET's, G-forces, or other info. Pretty likely your new ride would be somewhere in the 170-180mph range in the Magnum, would you ever hit those speeds at the Silver State?

One consideration is the travel involved so we like to participate in the longer events to make it worthwhile. The Silver State is a week-long gala!
I totally understand the ROI thing... it's further away and only 3 days total. The main attraction to this event is that you are basically allowed to run up to 200mph (if you have the power to get there) without a cage, fuel cell, or most of the other crap that Silver State Classic requires for friggin' 135mph (the SSC rules are way over-cautious, IMO - should be exemptions for cars capable of 155mph from the factory, like all E500E's for example).

:tumble:

need2speed
12-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Oddly enough, a hard launch does little if anything for peak trap speeds, and the officials frown on wheelspin at the starting line. A hard launch helps ET's at the dragstrip, but the standing mile / 1.5 mile trials don't provide you a time, only a speed. You can have data acquisition boxes / recorders in the car if you want to get ET's, G-forces, or other info. Pretty likely your new ride would be somewhere in the 170-180mph range in the Magnum, would you ever hit those speeds at the Silver State?

I would probably stick with the Grand Sport class which as a tech speed (upper limit) of 165. The next level gets you to a tech speed of 180 mph but also requires fire suppression and fuel cell. For rally participants they also run a one mile top speed event with 3 runs.

I totally understand the ROI thing... it's further away and only 3 days total. The main attraction to this event is that you are basically allowed to run up to 200mph (if you have the power to get there) without a cage, fuel cell, or most of the other crap that Silver State Classic requires for friggin' 135mph (the SSC rules are way over-cautious, IMO - should be exemptions for cars capable of 155mph from the factory, like all E500E's for example).

Yeah, it can be frustrating and they are becoming more strict since I started. OTOH, they are the longest-running open-road rally and have too much experience with bad accidents and fatalities. The event organizer lost her son on the course a few years ago. Now with your comment on "cars capable of 155mph from the factory", the factory isn't any help either. There is an exemption in the rules as follows; "Cars with factory built or factory reinforced roll structures may be allowed in the Grand Sport Division. They will be evaluated on a per car basis. The decision of the Event Director will be final." Before I had the custom bar fabricated I approached M-B, explained the rally and its rules, and requested manufacture specs for the roll-over structure of the W124.036. I received a letter back stating that M-B would not endorse any speed contest and therefore would not comply. In the face of that, I can appreciate the rally organizers shouldn't stick their necks out either.

Peterwissner
06-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Hi Dean,
Was just looking around the site and found this, I must have missed it the first time, and wasn't on much last year. We did a major back yard relandscape that took the whole summer. Anyway, Bruno (aka need2speed) is still great. It seems I've managed to get a new marker light installed that is going to stay put! Took a nice drive out to Canmore last weekend. Maybe we can meet up this summer in Red Deer and get the side by side pic requested?