PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Ceramic Brakes - Are they worth it?

need2speed
02-18-2016, 11:14 AM
I feel like a kid in a candy store; so many tasty bits available for the C63! I was reminded of carbon ceramic brakes yesterday while walking through a parking lot and spying a frickin gorgeous E63 Wagon with the tell-tale yellow calipers and dark grey rotors; although hard to spot under a thick layer of road grime :-0 Anyone know what the E63 owner would have paid?

Racing Brake provides a CC upgrade for the C63 using Black Series calipers that saves 25 lbs over my stock set-up with 2-pc rotors. But I've heard its noisy and not suitable for daily driving. I'm also looking at their conventional 2-pc kit up-sized to BS dimensions. Saves only 12 lbs total, but at 1/4 the cost of their CC package, it seems like a relative bargain. My question is, would the increased braking force resulting from a move to 390/360 mm from 360/330 mm be significant?

Glasgo_Chris
02-18-2016, 01:19 PM
Dean,

I have no experience with the carbon ceramic brake options on the Mercedes Benzes - I don't believe they were available as an option until 2011 or 2012 on MB's? My last AMG was an 08 S63 which it was not available then. Regardless, I always get PCCB on Porsche's and have 0 issues with them. They have a slight squeal at the very end of a stop, but I love them. A positive of having carbon ceramics is if you do not track the vehicle, you will never need to replace your rotors again - which we all know the steel brakes for AMG benzes (especially variants equipped with the Performance package) costs an arm and a leg. I imagine it would be costly however to add ceramics to your c63 if it does not already have them. On the Porsche's it is cheaper to select the option when you are building a car than to add them. A used set of Gen 2 Carbon ceramics for a Porsche run 7-9k

Best Regards,
Chris

alabbasi
02-18-2016, 01:24 PM
I checked the price of ceramic rotors for an 05 CL65 that I almost bought and they ran for $1000 / rotor. I see many of these cars getting converted in the future.

KarlC
02-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Chris I see you have a 08 Cayenne Turbo, I need to do the Pads and Rotors on mine soon, what would you recommend ?

I have been told Hawk HPS Ceramic Pads and Zimmerman Rotors are a good way to go. 08 CTT have an odd brake size as you must know.

Dean sorry to be off topic here, but the 500E Board is where all the smart car guys are !

Glasgo_Chris
02-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Pm sent Karl

KarlC
02-19-2016, 12:11 AM
Pm sent Karl

Thx but I did not revive one

Recover the 2nd one and replyed thx

need2speed
02-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Dean sorry to be off topic here, but the 500E Board is where all the smart car guys are !

No worries, my friend. Having spent more time at MBWorld lately, I know what you mean ;-) Unbelievable how much vendors rule the roost, and they aren't expected to back-up their claims. Tee hee, one profile being those who "rent" their rides from the finance company and use their cash flow to buy accessories and upgrades. You see the waves of interest beginning with buying the new widget to asking how to fix it and then selling it.

SG-Motorsports
02-20-2016, 03:50 PM
I did a complete carbon ceramic conversion at the dealership for a customer with a 2014 E63 wagon that does a lot of track days. It was just under $20k for the complete set-up with labor. Cost of the option when building a new wagon was just over $11k. So quite a bit more to retrofit after the fact. Keep in mind, it's not just as simple as swapping out rotors. The calipers are also different with different size pistons. The pads are a much different compound. Then you have a lot of computer coding to due so the vehicle knows to compensate for increased stopping distances and ESP traction events as well as ride height calculations for much less rotating mass and unsprung weight.

The first MB to get carbon ceramic brakes was the SLR McLaren, and those brakes were very touchy. They did NOT work well when cold but were obviously awesome once at temp. They also were VERY noisy. However these brakes have advanced significantly in the past few years and now are at least as good as steel brakes when cold, and are unbelievable when at temp. They also have almost no noise anymore. We now have several customers that get them and never have complaints.

It is true that if you don't track your car, the rotors will most likely last forever. Even with extended track use they last an extremely long time. On the vehicles at the AMG Performance track days, the carbon rotors last about a year, where as the steel rotors were being replaced every other day. These cars see a massive amount of track miles!

I checked the price of ceramic rotors for an 05 CL65 that I almost bought and they ran for $1000 / rotor. I see many of these cars getting converted in the future.

That price of $1000/rotor is for the standard 2 pc. steel rotors with the aluminum center hat. Almost all of the modern AMG cars with the 2 pc steel rotors are about $1000/rotor. The carbon ceramic rotors are about $3200/rotor. The '05 CL65 was not available with carbon ceramic brakes, so unless it was an aftermarket retrofit, it simply had the 2 pc steel rotors.

need2speed
02-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Keep in mind, it's not just as simple as swapping out rotors. The calipers are also different with different size pistons. The pads are a much different compound. Then you have a lot of computer coding to due so the vehicle knows to compensate for increased stopping distances and ESP traction events as well as ride height calculations for much less rotating mass and unsprung weight.

Thanks, I didn't think of this. It would follow that the conversion would make more financial sense for those models with CC brakes available as an option, then the software upgrades are known. For aftermarket kits, I would have to determine if they address this!