PDA

View Full Version : brabus w124

lowman
05-16-2016, 06:03 PM
does anyone know..if the brabus w124 cars got new vin numbers when built at the brabus factory?

thinkin about the 6.5 Brabus w124..

500AMM
05-17-2016, 03:56 PM
Hi Stefan,
I don't think so. I have been close to the only Brabus 6.5 (W124) we have here in Norway, but I've never seen any specific VIN# on it. Brabus give them a specific build # engraved on a plate put in the engine bay, IIRC it is on the airfilter box. I can check it in my photo archive tomorrow.

05-17-2016, 04:27 PM
does anyone know..if the brabus w124 cars got new vin numbers when built at the brabus factory?

thinkin about the 6.5 Brabus w124..

Hi Lowman,

I can confirm that Brabus DID NOT issue a new VIN to all 4 of the W124 Brabus 6.5 conversions. You can see the VIN for BODO'S former 6.5 on the BRABUS website for BODO's former 6.5. Also the case with mine.

They place a plaque on the Airbox with the BRABUS Engine number, engine size, valves and signature of engine assembler.
There are a few other service and fuel related plates/sticker around the car as well.

cheers

PS: Norway Brabus 6.5 is based on a 230E chassis that was modified into a 500E. Check its VIN as I am sure its not 124036

lowman
05-17-2016, 05:24 PM
Hi Lowman,

PS: Norway Brabus 6.5 is based on a 230E chassis that was modified into a 500E. Check its VIN as I am sure its not 124036

hey there
thank you very much.The reason for me asking was because of this particular car in Norway.and i discussion about the car going on,.and i can confirm that it is NOT a 124036 vin number..its 124023 vin number..
or at least that is what the DMV (or equal to the DMV i guess) tells when checkin the numberplate.

thank you :)

500AMM
05-18-2016, 10:13 AM
Hi,

So youíre in discussion about the Brabus, that sounds interesting.:thumbsup2:

I checked the information on this car some years ago in the main DMV register here in Norway, which has no public access, but only on request. This is a rebuild car, but the present owner is not here on the forum so I like to stay loyal and not post further details about the rebuilding. But the car is mainly a 500E, VIN# 124036 1B 486565 and the rebuild was approved at 25.08.1997 and has been by the present owner since 2000. The present owner did the the Brabus conversion around 2003-5, and I have a photo of the Brabus engine number plaque on the airbox.

Iím sure this rebuild was done to save the insane import tax we have here, which was even worse back at that time, but luckily decreased from 2005 on. And I slightly think this car was rebuild of the same technician that rebuild my Limited. And if so I wouldn't worry about that job. The car was also test driven by Brabus prior to the conversion, but I guess you know this already, Stefan. I can send over the info I have on it, just text/call/email me.

:checkeredflag:

PS. The enclosed image is of Ahmads car showing the Brabus engine number plaque on the airfilter box.

gsxr
05-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Strange this is a very early chassis (B486565) but appears to have the late-style ETA connector, if you look in front of the CAN box...?

:blink:

05-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Strange this is a very early chassis (B486565) but appears to have the late-style ETA connector, if you look in front of the CAN box...?

:blink:

No no no Dave, they were talking about the Norway Brabus 6.5 (744 Silver, 230E rebuild) .. The picture posted above is for the 1994 Almandine BRABUS 6.5. This picture BTW was taken back in early 2007.

gsxr
05-18-2016, 11:32 AM
AH! Got it, thanks.

:doh:

gerryvz
05-18-2016, 12:24 PM
AH! Got it, thanks.

:doh::jelmerian:?

mercepor
05-18-2016, 01:35 PM
It's quite courageous to modify / rebuild a 500e chassis from a normal w124....
imho

500AMM
05-18-2016, 05:01 PM
It's quite courageous to modify / rebuild a 500e chassis from a normal w124....
imho
It is the opposite way - a regular W124 was used as a donor car, normally with a totalled front end. Next it was sent an application to DMV to repair that car by replacing the front end + upgrading the car to 124036 spec's. The authorities hard stamped all parts to be replaced to keep full traceability and for final inspection of the build. The donor car had to be 10 years to avoid additional tax due to the increased engine displacement, power and weight.

Another way to come around the import tax, was to replace the entire chassis on a regular W124 + upgrading to 124036 spec's.

Both of these methods are now closed, but it is possible to apply for rebuilding cars on a general basis. Too much details to bring in about this, but the tax savings was huge, and I mean HUGE! :buggin:

lowman
05-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Hi,

So you’re in discussion about the Brabus, that sounds interesting.:thumbsup2:

This is a rebuild car, but the present owner is not here on the forum so I like to stay loyal and not post further details about the rebuilding. .

yes i agree,i did not mean to be "illoyal " either..so but i was just interested in what the story was..especially it says 230e ,and a 230e vin number on the "DMV" (biltilsynet)..

takker :)

Taxi Driver
05-19-2016, 10:29 PM
It is the opposite way - a regular W124 was used as a donor car, normally with a totalled front end. Next it was sent an application to DMV to repair that car by replacing the front end + upgrading the car to 124036 spec's. The authorities hard stamped all parts to be replaced to keep full traceability and for final inspection of the build. The donor car had to be 10 years to avoid additional tax due to the increased engine displacement, power and weight.

Another way to come around the import tax, was to replace the entire chassis on a regular W124 + upgrading to 124036 spec's.

Both of these methods are now closed, but it is possible to apply for rebuilding cars on a general basis. Too much details to bring in about this, but the tax savings was huge, and I mean HUGE! ☺

Arnt, what kind of a system do that Car hating Norway have??? if all this was a clear R.O.I. just wonder? How much IS 124 036? Roger

bing
05-20-2016, 03:33 AM
but it is possible to apply for rebuilding cars on a general basis. Too much details to bring in about this, but the tax savings was huge, and I mean HUGE! ☺

I'm guessing that it was SO huge that it was still economical to rebuild and go through the trouble of satisfying your local DMV?? Wow! Proper car haters the Vikings, eh Roger! :)

Taxi Driver
05-20-2016, 04:27 AM
I'm guessing that it was SO huge that it was still economical to rebuild and go through the trouble of satisfying your local DMV?? Wow! Proper car haters the Vikings, eh Roger! :)

Things WERE better in the "Viking Vessel Days" (look at us now) nothing to be proud of,,,,,Bing,,,,*doh* did you fill up the Tunnel w Concrete?