Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: OWNER - a777fan (E420)

Re: OWNER - a777fan (E420)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    The upper / center chain rail guides look fine. However! They can look perfect, until you try to remove them... that's when you find out if they are OK or not. The plastic "fingers" should flex easily and allow removal intact. Usually what happens is, the fingers snap off because the plastic is fossilized. The fingered clips are cheap ($10 each or something?) and I would replace them while you're in there. Generally no need to replace the main plastic piece the fingers clip on to. Be careful, if the top fingers snap off, the 2 bottom fingers can break and fall into the engine... extraction can be a chore. It's probably difficult to see, but use a flashlight and eyeball the inner guides below the intake adjusters, make sure the tops & bottoms are still present.

Your engine looks unusually clean inside, btw. The PO's must have either used synthetic, or changed dino religiously. Given the complete lack of the typical brown varnish, I'm suspecting synthetic. Either way, that is a nice surprise!

Thanks Dave, I think I have resigned myself to replacing them, even if that means waiting for more parts :/

And yes! I was really surprised by the cleanliness inside. The original PO did use synthetic right from the get-go, but there were quite a few years in the 00ís where I have no records. I guess they kept up the regimen! Iím pretty happy with the finding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My rebuilt ETA showed up today! Used Don at RFC electronics, and canít say enough about him. Great service, quick turn around and good pricing.

Heís quite thorough with the rebuild as well, taking each one on a test drive before shipping it back.

Woot!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

gsxr (23 Hours Ago), JC220 (22 Hours Ago), nocfn (1 Day Ago), TerryA (22 Hours Ago)

Can you share the good pricing with us and what kind of warranty you got?
    Terry

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

nocfn (22 Hours Ago), sheward (20 Hours Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    Can you share the good pricing with us and what kind of warranty you got?
    Sure Terry, I donít think that would be breaking any rules. The rebuild was $279. Here is a snippet of our convo where Don talks about what is included:

ďGood Morning,

We open up the unit to make sure there are no fatal flaws (cannot rebuild)

Then we began the clean up of the unit cosmetically

Remove /replace the damaged harness

Using the test stands, we check/repair/replace the following as needed:

Micro switches
    Printed circuit board
    Potentiometers
    clutch mechanism
    DC motor
    All seven electrical circuits

After repair-- unit is mounted on a vehicle and taken for a test drive

All OK--unit is packaged carefully and shipped to customerĒ

Don also included a new OE ETA gasket, which I thought was a nice touch.

He works exclusively through ebay, handle Ďat-hiker1í, which i think makes things a bit more complicated, but not prohibitive. I reached out to him via ebay email, we talked about what I needed, and he then posted a specific auction with a buy-it-now price. I then shipped off the unit via USPS flat rate medium box. Shipped the unit on Saturday, it was back on my table friday. The rebuild comes with a 3 year warranty, although I do not have the specifics on what exactly that would cover.

Don also will sell you a refurbed unit outright if he happens to have one in stock. The price difference for my non-ASR eta was $100.

I donít know if the prices are similar for you ASR guys, or if there is an upcharge. Don will respond very quickly to any queries!

Dan (LWB250 here) has also used his services.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (17 Hours Ago), sheward (15 Hours Ago)

OWNER - a777fan (E420)

Ok. So after many attempts with the MB classic center, I am thinking about giving up on trying to source replacement zinc coated cap bolts for the intake re-assembly. All of the EPC PN seem to have been superseded by others which are different bolt types and even materials.

Anyhoo. Finding zinc coated metric thread cap bolts in small qtys is a bit tough. I went to my local fastener supply today, and while he didn’t have zinc coated, he did have stainless.

I’m a bit worried about galvanic corrosion, so did some research this morning that leads me to believe that I can use stainless fasteners into aluminum with little risk, as long as the stainless is not Martensitic 410 type. I have attached some info from fastenal for reference.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article%20-%20Corrosion.pdf

Has anyone used stainless fasteners into an M119 head? Is so, any issues to report?

EDIT: here is another nerdy fun link about SS.

http://www.ssina.com/download_a_file/fasteners.pdf

EDIT 2:

This is turning into a fun little adventure. I didn't realize the torque specs for the manifold were so high! 28Nm from the intake to the heads, and then 25Nm between the top and bottom manifolds. Sheesh.

Unfortunately the A2-70 stainless bolts I picked up today aren't going to cut it. According to this website, in M8 form, which these bolts are, their max torque strength is only about 22Nm.

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/basics.htm

The original fasteners in these locations are 8.8 grade, which has about 18% more tensile strength than A2-70 stainless. Its a bummer, cause these guys are beauties!
    Last edited by a777fan; 14 Hours Ago at 03:50 PM.

Testing out the spark plug wire resistances:

1. 1.92 kohm
    2. 1.92 kohm
    3. 1.84 kohm
    4. 1.74 kohm
    5. 6.77 kohm
    6. 3.15 kohm
    7. 1.75 kohm
    8. 1.86 kohm

5 and 6 seem a bit high, no?