Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: Lifting a 400E

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Lifting a 400E

    Does every V8 W124 have heavy duty springs? I want to lift my 400E an inch or two to clear some all terrain tires, but I can't find a way without running an unsafe amount of shims or cutting and welding the spring perch. Any ideas?

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jord For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

  3. #2
    E500E Guru nocfn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kingwood TX
    Posts
    3,049

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    I think the profile should be reduced, not make this a 4x4 but just me.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

    1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

  5. #3
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    I think the profile should be reduced, not make this a 4x4 but just me.
    I already have a lowered W124 truck, a stock ride height 400E, and now I want a slightly lifted off road toy 400E.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jord For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

  7. #4
    E500E Guru nocfn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kingwood TX
    Posts
    3,049

    Lifting a 400E

    I understand....
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

    1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

  9. #5

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Id say either make or buy some aluminum/urethane spring spacers

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to S70/2 For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

  11. #6
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    19,033

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    There may be different springs available that would raise it up. Have you checked the Euro EPC? There should be no need to cut or weld spring perches!


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

  13. #7
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    There are Mercedes ‘India’ spec springs available for the w124 chassis. They are tougher and high lift springs for India roads. The India spec also included a metal sump guard plate along with other additional engine cooling system parts.

    It sounds like that is your best route. There is no other safe way to raise it IMO
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1987 w124 200 E36 AMG Project car - ongoing 1990 w124 300E-24 Fully Restored
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project
    2007 w211 E220CDI Avantgarde Daily Driver
    Parted out myself- 95 C36 AMG / 95 E250D / 98 w124 India E220

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (2 Weeks Ago), wf758 (2 Weeks Ago)

  15. #8
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    I'll search around for india spec springs.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  16. #9
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    I'll search around for india spec springs.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    For the front springs in particular there may not be V8 ‘off the shelf’ India springs. But you could use the colour codes to select the heaviest duty spring. (Biggest motor + all options such as A/C etc) I am not sure how much extra (if any) the V8 motor weighs over say a m103. It would be best to use EPC and order these springs new to ensure you get correct ones - cor at least close as can be (V8). Finding good used India springs will be almost impossible!

    Also- Usually 124’s come with 2 bump pads from factory. A little extra height might be gained on top of the India springs by fitting the maximum bump pads (4x bump up front - 3x bump rear) when replacing the springs. And at the end some further swapping of bump pads might be needed to get it sitting level
    1987 w124 200 E36 AMG Project car - ongoing 1990 w124 300E-24 Fully Restored
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project
    2007 w211 E220CDI Avantgarde Daily Driver
    Parted out myself- 95 C36 AMG / 95 E250D / 98 w124 India E220

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

  18. #10
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    For the front springs in particular there may not be V8 ‘off the shelf’ India springs. But you could use the colour codes to select the heaviest duty spring. (Biggest motor + all options such as A/C etc) I am not sure how much extra (if any) the V8 motor weighs over say a m103. It would be best to use EPC and order these springs new to ensure you get correct ones - cor at least close as can be (V8). Finding good used India springs will be almost impossible!

    Also- Usually 124’s come with 2 bump pads from factory. A little extra height might be gained on top of the India springs by fitting the maximum bump pads (4x bump up front - 3x bump rear) when replacing the springs. And at the end some further swapping of bump pads might be needed to get it sitting level
    Idk how I'd fit 4 bump pads in the cup. 1 23mm bump pad just about pushed the spring out of the cup.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jord For This Useful Post:

    gerryvz (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

  20. #11
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    19,033

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    I'm assuming your stock springs are #39 front and #12 rear.

    Based on the wire dimensions, I think swapping to a #23 front and #21 rear may provide a decent lift. Another possibility would be the #31 fronts (Cabrio "tall" springs).

    Also, the spring pad should be completely enclosed withing the spring perch, except for a few mm poking out the bottom. If a "23mm bump pad just about pushed the spring out of the cup", something ain't right.

    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    JC220 (2 Weeks Ago)

  22. #12
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    I'm assuming your stock springs are #39 front and #12 rear.

    Based on the wire dimensions, I think swapping to a #23 front and #21 rear may provide a decent lift. Another possibility would be the #31 fronts (Cabrio "tall" springs).

    Also, the spring pad should be completely enclosed withing the spring perch, except for a few mm poking out the bottom. If a "23mm bump pad just about pushed the spring out of the cup", something ain't right.

    I'm sorry but the #23/#21? You mean spring shim thickness? Or are you talking about spring numbers. I always thought there were just two springs, heavy duty with a blue dot, and sport springs with a red dot.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jord For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

  24. #13
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    19,033

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    I'm sorry but the #23/#21? You mean spring shim thickness? Or are you talking about spring numbers. I always thought there were just two springs, heavy duty with a blue dot, and sport springs with a red dot.
    Those are spring numbers. The part number format is always 124-32x-XX-04. It's easier to refer to the 2-digit code for various springs. See PDF file here:
    http://124performance.com/docs/mb/W1...ring_specs.pdf


    For each spring number there is also a red & blue stripe version, the blue version is a few mm longer than the red version, but otherwise the same wire diameter / number of coils / etc for the same part number. MB specs a thicker pad for red vs blue to achieve the same ride height.
    http://124performance.com/docs/mb/W1...nt_stripes.pdf

    The part number is stamped on the last section of the bottom coil, often covered in dirt, sometimes covered in paint and difficult to read.

    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

  26. #14
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Those are spring numbers. The part number format is always 124-32x-XX-04. It's easier to refer to the 2-digit code for various springs. See PDF file here:
    http://124performance.com/docs/mb/W1...ring_specs.pdf
    Sweet! Thats very helpful information. I'll do more research on which spring would be best. Thank you!

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  27. #15
    Junior Member HansPanzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Would it be unsafe to cut off the edges and attach a #1 shim on top of a thicker shim, as long as the thicker shim is the one touching the spring? I'd imagine with basically an additional 8mm rubber spacer, there would be still plenty of space in the cup.

    I had to fit a #4 shim on the front of my 300CE with H&R springs. it was rubbing significantly with 17" Aero 1 wheels and #2 spring pads.

    I debated lifting my Green E320 Wagon, and thought I would cut off the edges of the top smaller pad and then glue it with flexible glue to the pad below it.
    Last edited by HansPanzer; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:44 AM.

  28. #16
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    2,453

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    You could make a spacer

  29. #17
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    I have these, but they wont fit between the coils, even when the spring is uncompressed.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

  30. #18
    Senior Member kwontumspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    199

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Not sure your timing on this build but there's a guy in Asheville that has a lifted 300D. He said he used all OEM parts with very little custom work needed but he did have to R&R his axle shafts apparently due to more stress from the increased angle. The impression I got was that it had been lifted for a while. If I run into him again (we frequent the same watering holes) I'll get more specifics on what he used as parts. I'd say it was at least a good 2-3" higher than I'm used to seeing, measuring from top of tire to fender lip so it may very well be these "India" springs.

  31. #19
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by kwontumspeed View Post
    Not sure your timing on this build but there's a guy in Asheville that has a lifted 300D. He said he used all OEM parts with very little custom work needed but he did have to R&R his axle shafts apparently due to more stress from the increased angle. The impression I got was that it had been lifted for a while. If I run into him again (we frequent the same watering holes) I'll get more specifics on what he used as parts. I'd say it was at least a good 2-3" higher than I'm used to seeing, measuring from top of tire to fender lip so it may very well be these "India" springs.
    If I could do it all with oem parts that would be ideal.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  32. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts
    184

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Springs from a w126 might be worth a try in the front. They are stiffer and very long as well as the same diameter. Not sure because I've never tried, but it may lift it quite a bit. You could then cut to fit. Just an idea....

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to SG-Motorsports For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (1 Week Ago)

  34. #21
    Member a777fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    92

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Those are spring numbers. The part number format is always 124-32x-XX-04. It's easier to refer to the 2-digit code for various springs. See PDF file here:
    http://124performance.com/docs/mb/W1...ring_specs.pdf


    For each spring number there is also a red & blue stripe version, the blue version is a few mm longer than the red version, but otherwise the same wire diameter / number of coils / etc for the same part number. MB specs a thicker pad for red vs blue to achieve the same ride height.
    http://124performance.com/docs/mb/W1...nt_stripes.pdf

    The part number is stamped on the last section of the bottom coil, often covered in dirt, sometimes covered in paint and difficult to read.

    Thanks Dave! You’ve answered a lot of the questions I’ve had about the various spring combos and designations I have seen in EPC.

    Is the blue is quoted as ‘tall’ as it has a higher spring constant than the red? IE- compresses less under load than red, since that photo shows the total length of unloaded springs to be opposite the description? Or is there something else going on in that photo?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (1 Week Ago)

  36. #22
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by SG-Motorsports View Post
    Springs from a w126 might be worth a try in the front. They are stiffer and very long as well as the same diameter. Not sure because I've never tried, but it may lift it quite a bit. You could then cut to fit. Just an idea....
    I thought 126 springs were too wide.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  37. #23
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Thanks Dave! You’ve answered a lot of the questions I’ve had about the various spring combos and designations I have seen in EPC.

    Is the blue is quoted as ‘tall’ as it has a higher spring constant than the red? IE- compresses less under load than red, since that photo shows the total length of unloaded springs to be opposite the description? Or is there something else going on in that photo?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blue is heavy duty and compresses less.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Jord For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (1 Week Ago)

  39. #24
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    2,453

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    I'd take a spring pad to a local gasket/rubber shop. We have one in Ft Worth which is excellent. Tell them you want a 3/4 90 durometer rubber spacer. Use with 4 nib factory parts and go. All this will make alignment interesting...

  40. #25
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    19,033

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Is the blue is quoted as ‘tall’ as it has a higher spring constant than the red? IE- compresses less under load than red, since that photo shows the total length of unloaded springs to be opposite the description? Or is there something else going on in that photo?
    Let me clarify... the ONLY difference between blue & red springs is the length. Everything else is identical. The PDF file I linked to back in post #13 isn't super clear on this, but a blue spring is roughly 5mm longer than a red spring, and that is why the EPC specs a 5mm thicker spring pad for a red spring of the same part number.

    Also, you cannot specify red or blue when buying new springs. You'll get whatever part number you ordered, in a random color, then you use the appropriate thickness spring pad to compensate.

    Hope this helps a bit!


  41. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (1 Week Ago)

  42. #26
    Member a777fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    92

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Let me clarify... the ONLY difference between blue & red springs is the length. Everything else is identical. The PDF file I linked to back in post #13 isn't super clear on this, but a blue spring is roughly 5mm longer than a red spring, and that is why the EPC specs a 5mm thicker spring pad for a red spring of the same part number.

    Also, you cannot specify red or blue when buying new springs. You'll get whatever part number you ordered, in a random color, then you use the appropriate thickness spring pad to compensate.

    Hope this helps a bit!
    Sure does. So for us humble shadetree types, we’ll have to order springs, see what color arrives, and then order the appropriate pad...?

    If you want to do things to spec of course... :devil:

  43. #27
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    19,033

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Sure does. So for us humble shadetree types, we’ll have to order springs, see what color arrives, and then order the appropriate pad...?
    100% correct, and the same applies to master dealer techs, even Klinks!!


  44. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (1 Week Ago)

  45. #28
    postwhore posterchild Klink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Abstract Plains, USA
    Posts
    3,669

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Sure does. So for us humble shadetree types, we’ll have to order springs, see what color arrives, and then order the appropriate pad...?

    If you want to do things to spec of course... :devil:
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    100% correct, and the same applies to master dealer techs, even Klinks!!

    Sad but true...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

  46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago), nocfn (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

  47. #29
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Dont judge me, but I bought a set of 23mm spring pads for the front and managed to fit the spring booster between the coils. Also added a spring pad to the bottom of the rear spring





    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  48. #30
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Next will be new shocks and shock towers with a possible spacer for the shock tower.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  49. #31
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    It did raise the ride height quite a bit from when I first got it. Also will be doing this upgrade to the rear shock that someone has done to their Lemons race car because I will be towing with this car and dont want to cut the all terrain tires with the quarter panel lip.




    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  50. The Following User Says Thank You to Jord For This Useful Post:

    S70/2 (1 Week Ago)

  51. #32
    Member a777fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    92

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Nice man! And very unique. Possibly the only time i’ve ever seen anyone want to ADD ride height to these things :thumbup:


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  52. #33
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    19,033

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    One must ask - what is the intended use for the increased ride height?


  53. #34
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    One must ask - what is the intended use for the increased ride height?

    To fit a set of 215/70/15 off road tires. To make a more aggressive version of this:



    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  54. The Following User Says Thank You to Jord For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (1 Week Ago)

  55. #35
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Before and afters. That's a 27" test fit tire. The body has lifted from 6.5" of the front of the skirt to 10" and the rear has gone from 6.5" to 9.5"

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

  56. The Following User Says Thank You to Jord For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (1 Week Ago)

  57. #36
    Senior Member Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Starke Florida
    Posts
    138

    Re: Lifting a 400E

    Hmm, it showed the pic as a broken link.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. Front corner of hood lifting / bouncing under way
    By IslandMon in forum Body Shop
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-19-2016, 10:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •