Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird idle /shifting through gears after replacing all the PVC hoses?

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

Re: Weird idle /shifting through gears after replacing all the PVC hoses?

would have been a little surprised if the TTLR fixed it..

I've never replaced a MAF on a 119. I think my total of good used MAF's is up to around 14 now.

The only thing I have found BBA good for is R129 soft top modules. Tried them on some other bits some years years ago with unsatisfactory results.

jono
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

While you are in there looking at the ETA, adjust the linkages and check the throttle cable for any broken plastic pieces.
    Make sure that there is no binding up at the ball joints and lubricated them.
    Check fuel pressure regulator while engine is cold and then after it warms up. Also, inspect the rubber line to the FPR.

Ok I ordered a different ETA so lets see if that helps.
    Over the weekend when I swap the "new" ETA" I will check those things. Not 100% on how to do them yet but I will do some research. If it doesn't work I might take it to the dealership and see what they say.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Alex89 View Post
    Ok I ordered a different ETA so lets see if that helps.
    Over the weekend when I swap the "new" ETA" I will check those things. Not 100% on how to do them yet but I will do some research. If it doesn't work I might take it to the dealership and see what they say.
    What is the source of the "new" ETA and what is the datecode?

Source is Ebay and date is 04M01...
    Can the air temp sensor be the cause, since the car acts funny once it warms up?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex89 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-19-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Source is Ebay and date is 04M01...
    Can the air temp sensor be the cause, since the car acts funny once it warms up?
    Air temp sensor (IAT) shouldn't cause this. Since the module swap didn't change anything, Jono may be correct about the ETA. It will be very difficult to diagnose further without a digital scanner to show live data.

So after putting a "new" ETA, car now does not surge in P and N, but idles at 1600-1700 in P and N...That has to be stupid ETA than...right?

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

you sure you have that linkage hooked back up correctly? ASR/CEL lights on?
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)

How can I be really sure?
    Maybe I will play with it and see what happens...so if idle is high, should I try to unscrew it some more and extend it?

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

does the throttle arm sit against the stop @ idle. You can visually check.

FWIW, I don't think the dealership will do much if anything for you.

*ooo, 2000 posts....only eventybillion before I catch GSXR!*
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

gsxr (4 Weeks Ago)

Congrats on 2k posts haha

So I can run the car without the air filter housing?Let me check now. I know that when I put the new ETA, everything looked fine. Does the throttle arm tense when the car is in P or N?

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

sure, all day...some of the Early cars are a little sensitive to the air blowing over from the fan but it's Rare IME>>

arm should rest against the stop, that's where the idle contact switch hits.
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

Alex89 (4 Weeks Ago), gsxr (4 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The throttle linkage MUST be adjusted per FSM or it won't idle properly (and may trigger codes). No ASR light though since it's a non-ASR E420.

Jono is right, first thing to check is if the lever on the ETA is resting against the stop at idle; if not adjust the linkage.

I just checked...it is resting against the stop.
    How to adjust it per FSM? What is FSM?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

FSM = Factory Service Manual.

Index: http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/M.../119index.html

Instructions for non-ASR M119: http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/M.../30-1010EB.pdf

19. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Alex89 (4 Weeks Ago)

Thx, that was fast.
    Everything looks good, linkage is at the stop and has 2-3mm free play before throttle starts opening, just like before when the car was ruining normal.
    This is driving me insane, not sure what to do but I will check codes again and just take it to the dealership...I tried few local places that are familiar with the car but everyone refuses to work on them. I can just go and replace parts all day long but its not working... Maybe they can detect something with live data even though I doubt its something serious now that the car just idles high and does not surge...

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

I'd be real surpsied the dealership has anyone left that Knows these. Guys like Klink are rare in that regard IME!

Plus, they're going to want to sell you a new ETA and a new TTLR...plus a Lot of other stuff just to get started.

How far are you from Titusville?

I can't say I agree w/ the lack of serious in regards to the high idle...what ever is wrong is going to whack out a Lot of stuff. Nothing in this car is an island...

jono
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

Alex89 (4 Weeks Ago)

I m maybe 2h away from Titusville, not too far, why?
    Yea you are most likely right about the dealership.

I just read codes and got

Pin 6, code 13

Pin 7, codes 2,5,6,and 11.

I erased the codes and ran car for a min but no codes came back...will have to test drive it for few minutes.

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

Pierre Hedary is up there, these aren't his forte Exactly but he is thorough and otherwise Very well informed with older mercedes.

Codes are kinda Meh, this car needs time on SDS with someone that is familiar with what should be going & has known good modules to test with ideally.
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

Alex89 (4 Weeks Ago)

Hm I just looked the guy up, pretty interesting. I will give him a call and see if I can work something out with him so he can take a look at the car. Thx for the suggestion!

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

mention me when you call, won't hurt...
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta

Of course...do I say Jono from e500 or Jono from GA, how would you like me to represent you?

I just got a call from the dealership, they found a EGR valve to be leaking. Can that be a problem?
    It sucks that other place didn't catch it.

Anyone has link on how to replace it, so far I am not having luck finding instructions on m119. Is that the one between the distributors that's held by 2 hex bolts if I remember correctly, next to few wiring harness connections?
    Last edited by Alex89; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:25 AM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I just got a call from the dealership, they found a EGR valve to be leaking. Can that be a problem? It sucks that other place didn't catch it.

Anyone has link on how to replace it, so far I am not having luck finding instructions on m119. Is that the one between the distributors that's held by 2 hex bolts if I remember correctly, next to few wiring harness connections?
    EGR valve problems are really, really rare on the M119. I am curious how exactly it is "leaking". If it's the vacuum side, and it's only a partial leak, this may not cause ANY problems whatsoever. I'm really suspicious about this being the root cause of your issues.

Anyway - the EGR valve replacement is very simple, 3 bolts and it pops right off the intake manifold. It can be a little difficult to access the bolts. Yes, it's the round metal flying saucer on the passenger side of the intake, near the temp sensor wiring up front.

I'd want to confirm it's definitely the cause of your problems before buying a new one (probably $$$). Or get a used one and swap it on.

I know, it s weird because I would think the first vacuum test would show it since its right there.

Thx, I know exactly where it is now and I will replace it and see what happens. I will pick up the car soon and ask where is it leaking exactly.

Fun fact; they quoted the part at $320 and labor at $220 to replace it ($540) . I see the new part one is $200 online.

Also, what are the correct ETA bolts... I know its M6 something. Mine took a nice beatings since I replaced ETA 4x and last time I tightened it pretty hard just in case, so I would like to change the bolts.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If the EGR valve diaphragm won't hold vacuum, the engine will run perfectly, but you'll get a CEL due to the valve not opening. The valve is normally closed and requires vacuum to open. About the only way it can cause problems is if the valve is either stuck open, or has debris blocking the seat so it can't fully close. A quick test is to apply vacuum, then yank the hose off and you can hear the valve snap closed. With the valve removed you can see the open/close action on the workbench. A new valve is $200 from Naperville and you can change it yourself in less than half an hour... IF you really need it:
    https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...ve-0011407660/

The ETA bolts are MB # 914152-006000 and $3/ea list price, and I believe they have thread lock compound pre-applied. The torque spec in the FSM is freakishly high and I think it's a typo. You shouldn't need to have them super tight if the gasket surfaces are clean and the gasket is intact.

Attached Images Attached Images

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

I replaced an EGR valve Once on a 119...no running issues but wouldn't pass emissions....

IDT this is your issue.

clean up the old ETA bolts, a dab of locktite and snug em up. You'll be good to go.
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta

Thanks for the bolt info, I will order some just in case.

Yea based on what you say it looks like its not EGR. I will look for a used cheap one to see if it helps but not sure what else to do...

Can it be engine wire harness? I might change it again.

I just noticed something when I picked up the car. When the car is warm and I put it in P or N, it starts revving. I shut it off and turn it on, it does not rev, but as soon as I turn the heat on it starts revving, I turn the heat off and it idles high constantly but does not rev, so I turned the heat back on again and it started revving again.

When I picked up the car I asked for a technician and he pretty much told me he is not sure its EGR but that's where "we have to start" and than do another smoke test, long story short they are useless unless I have 5k to spend on trying to fix it their way.

I really dont know what else to do...Maybe I will change EGR, another harness and go from there...Any recommendations?

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

dealerships Suck w/ these....with a few very Limited exceptions.

Check grounds, I still don't trust that ETA. If your upper harness shows Zero signs of degradation I doubt that's the problem.

HVAC having an influence I start to wonder about voltage...
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta

36. The Following User Says Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

I will check grounds and all the wires that I can. I just dont know where to start anymore.

I drove the car yesterday for 15min or so and rpm started surging when I slowed down at the parking lot, going about 5-10 mph...When I shut the car off and start it it doesnt suge, like some kind of commuter resets. And if I put it in D than back to P or mess with the AC/Heat it starts acting up...And when it revs and goes to the highest point before it drops its sounds like its hitting something or it clicks and rpm goes back down and when it goes back up I hear it again and it goes down...when I hear the click it shakes the car very little...I have no clue...

I just pulled codes again and got:

Pin 7, code 2 - So many things

Pin 16, code 13- Coolant temperature sensor interupt

Pin 19, code 6- Idle speed control inoperative

Pin 30, code 8 - Voltage supply circuit 15R

I keep getting new and random codes...Its making me believe its wiring harness...Or some ground somewhere like Jono said...
    Last edited by Alex89; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:05 AM.

So after putting a different ETA, that works, car doesn't surge anymore but has high idle. At cold start its at about 1100 but after it warms up it goes to over 1500.
    I drove the car for few days after erasing all the codes and no codes have come back. This morning car hesitated to start and after it started warming up I kept hearing some sound almost like a far away bass on a stereo and it started almost chocking lightly.

I ordered CPS, and sparkplugs (003-159-68-03) that I am going to change as well as take out EGR out and clean if possible. Another weird thing I noticed is that if I am going 5mph car has a small lurch as if I had a blown tire, or someone was pressing throttle very slightly.

After that I will try to change NSS and check valve if I can locate them both. Possibly get another ETA and maybe the ECT.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex89 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Check adjustment on the throttle rod that connent to the ETA. Now yours is surging, so it’s a longshot, but I had high idle after R&R:ing the whole intake manifold. Half a turn on one of the rod ball ends could make the idle switch turn on and off. I’d check, just to make sure.

Just press the arm on the ETA to the rest stop with a screwdriver. If it stops surging, bingo.

Takes 10 minutes, cost is zero.
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doolar For This Useful Post:

Alex89 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Thomas is correct, triple-check the linkage adjustment.

You are nearing the point where you will be unable to diagnose further without a digital scanner. Have you considered investing in a Chinese SDS?

It stopped surging after I put the working ETA. This thread helped me a lot (https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7377). I have 2 spare ETAs.The one that was in the car wasnt buzzing when the key was on and was giving me crazy codes. So when I put the buzzing one back in, I am not getting any codes and idle does not surge its, just high when the car gets hot. It starts at 1100 or so but after few min it goes up to over 1500rpm.

I will try to mess with the arm but why would the idle go up when the car get hot? I dont thing thats the arm/linkage issue but I will try, like you said its $0 cost. Can it be the ECT sensor?

I never thought about buying Chinese SDS but maybe I will end up doing it. One local Mercedes shop has it so I might go to them before I buy one.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The non-buzzing ETA is likely DOA. You can do a quick test to confirm it's not totally DOA by plugging it in to your car with the linkage in the idle position, and turn the key on. The ETA should make all the usual clicking / buzzing noises. If not, it's DOA. The only complete test is to actually install the spare unit on the car and drive a few hundred miles with it and verify it works normally. An in-between test is described by Klink in the HOW-TO section here (thanks Jlaa for finding this!).

So you have a normal idle when cold, but the idle speed increases when hot? I didn't see that in your posts. It should idle at ~1000rpm for a minute or two after a cold start, then drop to ~750 in P/N, and ~600 in gear. If it never drops below 1000 even when warming up (few minutes after a cold start), that isn't right. It's pretty unlikely to be the ECT, but you can measure / test the ECT (B11/2) with an ohmmeter. PDF attached. Only the 4-pin ECT affects the engine management.

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks I will check this ETA as described by Klink.

Yes, car now idles right around 1000 when started cold but after 2-3 minutes it goes as high as 1500 in P/N. After I drive it and get the car really warmed up and put it in P or N it goes to almost 2000 rpm. What can that be?
    I never posted this because it just started happening when I put another ETA few days ago. The one ETA I used before wasn't buzzing (not working right) so car was surging and giving me few codes.

After few days of driving (with a "good" buzzing ETA) I didn't get any codes just high idle as described above. Only new issue that happened was that the car hesitated to start (on a 3rd day) and than it started chocking after few minutes in P. Similar chocking also happened first time when I put that buzzing ETA for the first time but it was only when I put it in D, as soon as I would put it back in P it was fine, but after a short drive it went away and didn't re appear until 3 days later but now it chocked in P (not D) . Its just so confusing to me.

I am going to test ETA as mentioned, check linkage, try to change few parts and if that doesn't work I might get the diagnostic tool, or take it to that guy Piere Hardany. Its just amazing how this problem can be such a pain.During my research I see there are so many threads out there about similar issue but almost nobody comes back to post the solution or if they even figured it out.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I just realized the Klink test procedure is specifically describing the process for ASR vehicles. It's essentially the same for non-ASR, with the exception that non-ASR ETA's will have more resistance when moving the linkage by hand, as it is not drive-by-wire like the ASR ETA is.

Your high idle sounds kind of like an intake leak, but the smoke test should have found anything seriously hosed up. I'm starting to run short on ideas; this is where the Chinese SDS (specfically, HHT-Win) helps as you can view live data. The catch is, unless you know what values to expect, that may not be a lot of help. Why is why E500E owners should also own a 400E420, and vice-versa. (kidding! partly.)

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (1 Week Ago), doolar (1 Week Ago)

Yea I had 2 smoke tests.... I will try some of the things above and report back if I have any success. Maybe I just had that luck to buy all the crappy used ETA's and all it is is a good working ETA...idk...

Hm...When I got home tonight, car wouldn't start. I had to jump start it.
    Starts up at like 1400 but after 20sec it goes down to about 1000.

But I noticed something weird. Under driver side distributor, car was making sparks, sounds like trying to light the lighter and every time it would spark, car would choke. I turned it off and will open it tomorrow to see what is going on.

Where the red circle is where I see the spark
    Inked20180112_194940_LI1.jpg

Second one is a close pic of the burnt spot from the spark...Pic is sideways, I just cant turn it the right way when I post it here for some reason. It should be turn counter clockwise.

11.jpg
    Last edited by Alex89; 1 Week Ago at 07:49 PM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

That appears to be failed ignition wires shorting out! How old are the wires? The light gray color makes me suspect they are Bosch aftermarket, if so, those have very fragile insulation. You'll need to inspect all the wires closely in that area. Any time the spark shorts to ground you'll get a misfire. If the wires are old and/or damaged, you're probably going to need to replace them.

This is probably not related to your high-idle issue though. Another thought, are you certain your tach is accurate? And that it isn't showing 1000rpm when it's actually 600rpm or something?

Just FYI - I bought new OE wires from MB last year, and they were also grey.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Ok I was wondering what was back there other than wires, I guess nothing. I am trying to find ignition wires but I cant find OEM ones, I see aftermarket ones. What is the part number?

I think tach works bc it starts at 1500, goes down to 1000 after very short time and when I put it in D or R it goes back down to about 650 which should be normal...After a longer drive when the car warms up, when I shift to D or R (having to go through N) car revs to 1500 (just bc I shifted to N) before it brings it down to normal 650 but with some noticeable shaking.

I checked my distributor caps and wires earlier today and one was Bremi (I think distributor caps) and another Bosch(Wires). I will have to double check. Previous owner changed distributors and rotors (less than 2 years ago) but I dont think he did wires.

MB OE spark plug wires -Q-4-15-0036
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

55. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

Alex89 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Thanks for the part#, looks like I will have to order some...Or some aftermarket ones. Any good aftermarket ones, if I dont have to spend $400 I would rather not ...

These are the 2 distributors I checked today...Are they bad, they are less than 2 years old but not sure if the bad wires messed it up?

20180113_113558.jpg20180113_113543.jpg

What I find odd is that the weird idle started after replacing breather hoses.
    Have you checked the hose that hooks up to the side bottom of the eta?

Yes I did, that one was replaced with a new one also.
    I thought that my idle got bad because I moved my original ETA(from 94) to replace that hose. It still might be ETA as far as I know, I think I will try yet another used ETA.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Thanks for the part#, looks like I will have to order some...Or some aftermarket ones. Any good aftermarket ones, if I dont have to spend $400 I would rather not ...
    Your caps look ok, and it will be hard to condemn them until you replace the defective wires.

See the last few posts on this thread for wire info. The Beru kit is what I'd buy, and may still be available from some vendors:
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258

I wouldn't buy any of the other brands shown at PartsGeek, but the blue NGK set looks interesting - never seen those before.

60. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Alex89 (1 Week Ago)

Thx! Will Beru be ok, will it fit if its shorter??

I got another ETA to try and spark plugs, not 003 159 68 03 since I got the email back they are not available. I got Bosch ones. I will get wires too and see what happens after I replace all 3 things.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Thx! Will Beru be ok, will it fit if its shorter??
    Beru should be fine. The lengths may differ slightly from stock, and the wires are not labled with cylinder numbers, so it usually takes some trial & error to get the proper wires to each cylinder. Might take an hour or two. No Zip-ties should be required, the wire routing is stamped in the bottom of the X-shaped tray. Excess length should be looped at either end so that it will not interfere with the plastic covers fully seating. See thread linked below; post 38, 48, and 64:
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1313

I got another ETA to try and spark plugs, not 003 159 68 03 since I got the email back they are not available. I got Bosch ones.
    Whaaa? Which vendor said 003-159-68-03 are not available? I just bought some a few weeks ago. The OE Bosch 003-159-67-03 are NLA from Mercedes, those #67 Bosch plugs were superceded to #68 which are made by Beru. You can still get aftermarket Bosch F8DC4 though. Just avoid the FR8DC resistor types.

I will get wires too and see what happens after I replace all 3 things.
    I am curious what brand of wires are currently installed, and if they are the early type (plug boot with rubber upper half and 90° wire ) or late (plug boot with plastic upper half, usually orange color). Check the brand name on the plug boots, wire, and cap boots. There may be a mix of brands.

Ok hopefully I wont have any problems figuring out wiring, can I really mess it up if, for example, I put wire from plug 1 to plug 2? I will go ahead and order it those Beru wires you sent (https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19..._wire_set.html) .

mboemparts sent me an email they they are unavailable. So I got aftermarket Bosch F8DC4.

My current wires are "Bremi 13222", it says on distributor cap boots. Distributor caps are Bosch. Pretty interested in seeing what spark plugs I have in there.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Ok hopefully I wont have any problems figuring out wiring, can I really mess it up if, for example, I put wire from plug 1 to plug 2? I will go ahead and order it those Beru wires you sent (https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19..._wire_set.html) .
    Don't get the wires mixed up, but if you do, most likely you'll get a quite unpleasant misfire and very rough running. If the existing wires are routed properly you can change 1 at a time and select the closest length; but since the current wires are already aftermarket, it's hard to say if the last mechanic did it right or not.

mboemparts sent me an email they they are unavailable. So I got aftermarket Bosch F8DC4.
    BS. The plugs are available. If you only ordered plugs and nothing else (or, a few other small/cheap parts) they were probably blowing you off as they would lose money shipping that order free. Especially if they didn't have any in stock, which is unlikely, but possible. EDIT: MBoemparts shipped the plugs after all, despite the email stating otherwise - see post #116 below.

My current wires are "Bremi 13222", it says on distributor cap boots. Distributor caps are Bosch. Pretty interested in seeing what spark plugs I have in there.
    Bremi boots does not necessarily mean a Bremi-branded wire set. Check the plug boots too, and the wires themselves. I'm not a big fan of Bremi as they are not OEM for any Mercedes ignition components.

I noticed in your pictures that the plastic separator/holders for the plug wires seem to have been replaced with a zip-tie at one place, and, that the wires may be chafing against sharp metal (green highlights).

What do these areas look like (more pictures) after removing all the plastic covers in the way?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

66. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Yea I will go one by one and hope for the best ... Thx.

You might be right since I only ordered spark plugs and I can see how they can say "screw him" since my last order was just ETA screws that had to come all the way from Germany.

Yea I will check the plug boots too and report back. Its dark now. Next weekend(at the latest) I will change ETA, wires and spark plugs and see what happens. It would be amazing if stupid idle gets fixed haha.

Jlaa I will take some pics tomorrow and I need to do some research to see how it should look so I can re wire them right.

68. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex89 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

I replaced the spark plugs today and when I pulled the old ones out they looked pretty bad plus they were the wrong ones, Bosch FR8DC resistor ones!
    Also, GSXR you were right, wires were Karlyn at the spark plug boot side and Bremi at the distributor side, how come? How does that happen?

Now waiting on wires and ETA to see what happens, I am secretly hoping that my idle will get fixed with new wires and fresh, correct, spark plugs .

I noticed that some spark plug wires go to the same side distributor cap and some dont, is that normal?

Dirty spark plugs...
    20180115_160848.jpg
    20180115_160941.jpg

Karlyn...
    20180115_155901.jpg

Area where wires were causing a spark. Went for a short drive and car would hesitate under acceleration, just confirms the wires are bad...

20180115_160647.jpg

70. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex89 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago), Hakie (4 Days Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I replaced the spark plugs today and when I pulled the old ones out they looked pretty bad plus they were the wrong ones, Bosch FR8DC resistor ones!
    Also, GSXR you were right, wires were Karlyn at the spark plug boot side and Bremi at the distributor side, how come? How does that happen?
    I've seen this too. From what I can tell, there are only a couple of mfr's that produce the boots and wires; some third parties then mix & match brands when building wire sets. I don't like the Bremi as they don't use the crimped wire ends with threaded fittings. From memory, I believe the Karlyn boots also cannot have the wires unscrewed like Bosch or Beru.

Now waiting on wires and ETA to see what happens, I am secretly hoping that my idle will get fixed with new wires and fresh, correct, spark plugs .
    If your idle is fixed, that would be fabulous, but I have a bad feeling there will be no change in idle RPM.

I noticed that some spark plug wires go to the same side distributor cap and some dont, is that normal?
    Yep, that is normal. IIRC each cap sends 2 wires to one bank, and 2 wires to the other. Make sure to reference the thread mentioned in post #109 above, you should be able to get your wires routed as neatly as shown in the photos with the red wires. Note that Glen's engine shows the late style plug boots, and my photos sh ow the early style. The routing is slightly different for each under the plastic cover over the plugs. The routing is identical in the X-tray and at the caps.

Oh I see, I didnt know you can separate it and mix it that easily. I already got my wires today (ordered 2 days ago).

I know its a long shot of it fixing my idle issue but I was jut dreaming a little. That thread is great, hopefully I will make my wires look like that too.

Something strange happened. After mboemparts told me spark plugs 003 159 68 03 are unavailable, I just got them in the mail today...Not sure how does that happen. My main dilemma now is if I should put those in or keep the aftermarket ones, is there really a big difference. I like the ones I got today,they have nice MB logo and from Germany. Other ones are from Russia.

73. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex89 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (6 Days Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Something strange happened. After mboemparts told me spark plugs 003 159 68 03 are unavailable, I just got them in the mail today...Not sure how does that happen. My main dilemma now is if I should put those in or keep the aftermarket ones, is there really a big difference. I like the ones I got today,they have nice MB logo and from Germany. Other ones are from Russia.
    Oh WEIRD! I wonder what happened. There shouldn't be a big difference, I'd leave the Bosch Russia plugs in there for now. Keep the new OE Beru for your next plug change in 25-30kmi.

Tonight I got to work on changing the wires for a little bit...The post you sent was very useful.
    Just to confirm,its a silly question but... as long as cylinder #/ spark plug wire goes to corresponding distributor cap #/ connection I will be fine, It doesnt matter which wire itself is as long as it fits?

After my 5th wire the lengths are not matching that closely anymore. But I will continue tomorrow. Also, the furthest right coil wire was chopped in 3 places since it was going under the distributor plastic cover. That's probably the one shorting out.

76. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex89 For This Useful Post:

Hakie (4 Days Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Tonight I got to work on changing the wires for a little bit...The post you sent was very useful.
    Just to confirm,its a silly question but... as long as cylinder #/ spark plug wire goes to corresponding distributor cap #/ connection I will be fine, It doesnt matter which wire itself is as long as it fits?
    Correct.

After my 5th wire the lengths are not matching that closely anymore. But I will continue tomorrow.
    It might get worse when you get to the 7th and 8th wires. You may even need to go back and swap out some you had already installed. BTW, can you post a photo of the wire set you got? Maybe the package with 1 loose wire if they're not all installed yet?

Also, the furthest right coil wire was chopped in 3 places since it was going under the distributor plastic cover. That's probably the one shorting out.
    That reminds me - where the 2 coil wires exit the plastic cover above the power steering pulley, make sure they are tied up and routed such that it's impossible for them to move out of position, and rub against the pulley edge. The plastic housings which bolt to the head, and the covers which go over the top, both often have broken tabs so things won't snap into place properly. If they are busted, you can still buy new ones from MB. Last I checked it was ~$75 for all four of them. Since your car is low miles, maybe the originals are still serviceable.

Wire length worked out pretty well. It looks sooo much better now but not as neat as the ones in your thread, but still no need for zip ties.
    Here are the pictures of some wires before I put them on.

20180119_135300.jpg 20180119_134939.jpg 20180119_134945.jpg 20180119_135406.jpg 20180119_135445.jpg

Unfortunately wires did not work out very well. Car is hesitating slightly and one popped off when I cranked the car...Connection seems to be pretty weak.
    20180120_150009.jpg 20180120_150000.jpg

I put the old coil wires in just to test it out and it was even worse, car was barely running. So I think I will need different ones. I am even thinking about OEM Mercedes ones just to be sure.

All this is not that big of a deal because I found what the problem of my high idle was. Its almost embarrassing to say but it was a stupid ETA LINKAGE! You guys did tell me multiple times and I always checked and it looked good at the ETA side. Today I went to turn and adjust it and with barely any pressure it popped and got lose, the whole linkage arm came off. So my linkage was barely attached on the back side and when I went to turn the ETA side, it just popped loose. It was a pain snapping it back in place since there isn't too much room in the back where the firewall is. Tall magnet and 2 long screwdrivers did it. It was amazing relief when I saw the idle so low, it was around 600-650. I was so happy. (Not sure why picture is upside down)

20180120_132903.jpg

Before I fixed the linkage, car wouldn't react until I depress the throttle half an inch or so, it was obviously delayed and I thought that's how it suppose to be but it was always suspicious. Now car reacts as soon as I touch the throttle.

I am so ready to be done with this issue and enjoy the car again. Will post what happens after I change the wires again, and hopefully its not anything else. Car kind of shakes and stutters now when rpms go down and sometimes when its idling but not very noticeably.

79. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex89 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Days Ago)