Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weird idle /shifting through gears after replacing all the PVC hoses?

Re: Weird idle /shifting through gears after replacing all the PVC hoses?

Thanks for posting/sharing all this. A lot of can learn from it. Hope you solve it soon. I think you'r almost fixed it.

Congrats! I was following this thinking, "its got to be something to do with the linkages he removed." I say that because I recall when I did mine, I did have to think about how it all went back together. Luckily I was taking pictures as I went along so could refer back to them.

As to the wires, I always use magnecor leads.
    I am thoroughly pleased with them, have them on every one of my cars.

For the M119 you cannot really use the oversize options. You have to go with the thinnest black wire they offer. The blue and red just dont fit in the channels.

Im sure you can get them easily in the states.

https://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

The model number I ordered was 8738.

Thx, I hope I fix it all soon and this forum was amazing help as always, as well as gsxr's constant company and advice!

I took some pictures too in the beginning but not of the linkage connection in the back since you cant see it unless you move the throttle cable to open the butterfly on ETA (as if you were pushing the gas pedal), that's the only way you can see it. Once I moved it I zip tied it so it stays accessible in the back.

It would look nice to put the red wires on, it would spice it up a little. I will think about it, thx for the suggestion!

But just to "summarize" it so far...My surging idle was because of a bad ETA. Once I got a good ETA, surge stopped but the idle was high because my ETA linkage wasnt connected correctly on the back side, where the firewall is.

Now I have a weird stutter when idling and if I rev the engine and RPMS start going down it kind of chokes/stutters but it stops and goes back to barely noticeable stutter at idle. I think that's the wires or maybe car needs to adjust or re learn or something,...I might try to take it for a short drive around the block before I change the wires again.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Alex89 View Post
    Unfortunately wires did not work out very well. Car is hesitating slightly and one popped off when I cranked the car...Connection seems to be pretty weak.
    Attachment 72387 Attachment 72386
    That is BIZARRE. I've never seen Beru boots with clip-on connections!! Must be a cost-reduction thing; the older Beru sets all had threaded connections as seen in the other thread. The wires should never "pop off" when you crank or start the engine, if this happened, they are under too much tension. The coil wired need enough slack to move around as the engine twists under load.

It would look nice to put the red wires on, it would spice it up a little. I will think about it, thx for the suggestion!
    The red wires for sale in the other thread require you to buy all the boots separately, which is not a big deal, just expensive.

But just to "summarize" it so far...My surging idle was because of a bad ETA. Once I got a good ETA, surge stopped but the idle was high because my ETA linkage wasnt connected correctly on the back side, where the firewall is.
    Glad you got that sorted. You tried multiple ETA's, correct? Did you only have 1 defective, or more than 1?

Now I have a weird stutter when idling and if I rev the engine and RPMS start going down it kind of chokes/stutters but it stops and goes back to barely noticeable stutter at idle. I think that's the wires or maybe car needs to adjust or re learn or something,...I might try to take it for a short drive around the block before I change the wires again.
    That may be related to the wires, or it could be something different... you'll need to get the wires sorted first. I think you could reconnect the new Beru wires, reduce the slack at the coil boots, and make sure everything is nice & snug... then chase down the choking problem. A different set of new wires isn't likely to fix this.

Yea I was surprised at the connections also. But today I snugged all the connections and started the car and did the whole reset procedure for ETA, just in case, and car was great. I think it was stuttering yesterday since I didnt have the IAT sensor hooked. I drove the car for almost an hour today and it ran perfect. I am so happy but also I keep always thinking that the coil wire will pop off at any time and leave me stranded. So I dont know if I should replace them or keep current ones.

Yes I had one bad ETA and now I have a spare working one too. I might sell it or just keep it in case "new" one goes bad. I also keep getting bad brake lamps switch code so I replaced it today also and the code is gone and brakes are good. They were acting up a little when I am barely moving or slightly moving when parking. They felt weird but not anymore. So car should be great now. Lets see what happens.

Thx again everybody for all the help! I am sure I will be back here since I want to change lower harness, and few other things in the future too haha. There isnt too much info on the lower harness replacement so I will try to take detailed pics if I ever decide to do it myself.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex89 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (01-22-2018), Hakie (01-22-2018), Jlaa (01-21-2018)