Thread: How the H#@$ do you get plug wires through to the drivers side cap under PS pump?

How the H#@$ do you get plug wires through to the drivers side cap under PS pump?

Replaced the single wire last time that failed but had a sudden miss develop and #2 wire has bought the farm. Was driving her home and had a noticeable miss suddenly. When I puled the covers saw nothing but put it back together fired it up and it was obviously arching down the side out from under the boot on 2 at the cap. checked the wire and yep tiz completely showing open so--. Want to replace the entire set now but how much do I have to take off the front of this motor to get access to run the wire set under the PS pump on the drivers side? No way on earth they will go under the pump like it is and that was why I replaced just the cut single last time. Have a new full set on hand so those of youse guys who have done this one help a brudder out. Whats the drill here?
    PS my dumb snapped the end off the overflow fitting on the radiator when I leaned on it hidden by a fender cover while I was messing with the drivers side cap. FCP shows a replacement fitting here https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ng-17110419132 for under $2.00 but how does it come out of the top of the radiator so I can replace it and not eat a radiator??
    Last edited by Ascension; 1 Week Ago at 09:58 PM.
    "Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." Frederick Douglass

Re: How the H#@$ do you get plug wires through to the drivers side cap under PS pump?

Want to replace the entire set now but how much do I have to take off the front of this motor to get access to run the wire set under the PS pump on the drivers side? No way on earth they will go under the pump like it is and that was why I replaced just the cut single last time.
    The wires don't run under the p/s pump -- they run behind the p/s reservoir, which is removed in the picture. You can see the edge of the black plastic cross-over tray in the pic just below and to the left of the intake cam.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by emerydc8; 1 Week Ago at 02:14 AM.
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emerydc8 For This Useful Post:

Ascension (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: How the H#@$ do you get plug wires through to the drivers side cap under PS pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    FCP shows a replacement fitting here https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ng-17110419132 for under $2.00 but how does it come out of the top of the radiator so I can replace it and not eat a radiator??
    You press the fitting out the top from the inside. Or, stuff a rag below it and force the broken bits of tab down into the rag. Either way isn't too bad but you will need to drain some coolant out.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Ascension (1 Week Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago)

Use a 7mm, if I remember correctly, box end wrench from the underside to help collapse the tabs and lift the fitting out. It works so much easier than anything else I found to get it out of the radiator.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roadster27 For This Useful Post:

Ascension (1 Week Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by emerydc8 View Post
    The wires don't run under the p/s pump -- they run behind the p/s reservoir, which is removed in the picture. You can see the edge of the black plastic cross-over tray in the pic just below and to the left of the intake cam.
    So easiest way is to pull just the reservoir? I can assure you there is absolutely no way they go through the gap between the head and the reservoir without taking a real chance in damaging the boot to wire connections by pulling and twisting on the boots as they just don't fit through that space.
    "Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    You press the fitting out the top from the inside. Or, stuff a rag below it and force the broken bits of tab down into the rag. Either way isn't too bad but you will need to drain some coolant out.
    Cool can handle that thanks guys! Now just have to find time to dive back into the thing when the weather is decent!

So easiest way is to pull just the reservoir? I can assure you there is absolutely no way they go through the gap between the head and the reservoir without taking a real chance in damaging the boot to wire connections by pulling and twisting on the boots as they just don't fit through that space.
    I've taken the wires off a few times and don't think I had to remove the reservoir. Are your wires the type that unscrew from the 2K resistor that goes over the spark plug? You could unscrew the resistor and pull them thru.
    Last edited by emerydc8; 1 Week Ago at 11:10 PM.
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

Quote Originally Posted by emerydc8 View Post
    I've taken the wires off a few times and don't think I had to remove the reservoir. Are your wires the type that unscrew from the 2K resistor that goes over the spark plug? You could unscrew the resistor and pull them thru.
    No they are not. The gap is way to tiny to pull the boots through under the reservoir without damaging them. Managed to get the one before through but it was an ordeal and had to fight the heck out of it. Wondered if the tray would come down but looks like on this car there is no choice but to pull the reservoir, Needed to pull it at some point anyway as has been drooling a little fluid around that short line since I have owned the car so--. Now to find the time when we have decent weather--( open car port no garage).