Thread: Sealant for both Oil Sump Pans

Sealant for both Oil Sump Pans

Sorry for new thread but cant find definitive answer.

For the upper pan, On WIS, it says I should use a sealant at the back part towards transmission end.
    I found that the sealant mentioned here is just clear RTV sealant. Sorry I dont have the WIS document with me to provide part number.

It seems very odd to me to use RTV sealant on a thin paper gasket. If I use RTV at just the back part, I feel i need to use something on the other parts also otherwise it wont be even.

Should I seal on both sides of the gasket or just on the block side as the WIS document implies?

For the smaller oil pan gasket, I normally would use some blue hylomar which I always use for water pumps etc. Its a non setting sealant designed for gaskets.

What works for you guys?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Sealant for both Oil Sump Pans

Jay, for the paper gasket to the block, I think the clear RTV is meant to be used at the junctions of block, oil pan, and rear cover (rear main seal carrier). Good question about if it's on both sides or not. Klink or Jono might be able to shed more light on this question.

For the lower sump gasket, I've always had mixed results, and since the OE gasket is already coated I'm not convinced blue Hylomar does a darn thing. You could use your favorite 'hardening' sealant (Right Stuff or OE black equivalent, RTV, etc) between the metal pan and gasket but I would NOT use anything (besides Hylomar, if desired) between the gasket and block. It would be miserable trying to clean off residue from the upper pan. I torque in a pattern, in stages, and go back and re-torque a couple more times after a few heating / cooling cycles. I still end up with some being dry and others weeping very so slightly.

I have used the blue hylomar and if nothing else it keeps the gasket from moving.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Thanks all. I have ordered the sealant advised for the timing case cover A002989472010.. Conflicting information on whether this is the best stuff, but ill use it on the flat surfaces to the block. Will use a bit of Mercedes black sealant where it mets at top heads.

0029894520 is the sealant listed for upper pan.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jaymanek For This Useful Post:

nocfn (3 Days Ago)

500E Terminus Illuminatus DerFuror's Avatar

I'm late to this dance, but 1.5 years ago during Operation Leak Elimination, I used Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket #3 to seal my lower oil pan & many other fluid contact surfaces. No leaks to this day.

Been using it for generations. Very versatile & effective product.

Just don't tell the kids that it's chocolate syrup. You'll get in big trouble.
    " Destination ???, It's the ride that takes you there! "
    1993 500E W124.036 040/271
    1965 220b W111.010 Heckflosse

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DerFuror For This Useful Post:

daantjie (1 Day Ago), jaymanek (2 Days Ago)

E500E Guru

Gasket is to take up variation in the machined surface and the stamped metal pan. You can use a different gasket material than OE, and you can use different sealants with or without a gasket. When we discuss sealants, how permanant do you want it?

Maybe Dave you should use one of those o-ring sealed aluminum pans. They will crack if you hit something hard... but they won't leak.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by samiam44 View Post
    Maybe Dave you should use one of those o-ring sealed aluminum pans. They will crack if you hit something hard... but they won't leak.
    Does anyone even make one for the M119? With the upper sump sealing surface having those long channels between bolt holes, I'd think it would be difficult to produce a lower pan that sealed with O-rings. I've seen them for the transmission though, they are nifty (and $$$$!).

Attached Images Attached Images

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (1 Day Ago)

You do not need any sealant on either surface. I could see maybe putting a small dab at the rear main seal cover contact point but you really do not need any. Or you could use the black goo that we use on the newer engines in place of the gasket entirely on the upper pan. I can say that I curse anyone that uses sealant on the lower pan. I mean it and your family.. It is not needed and all it does is create, at best a giant cleaning project the next time the pan comes off. I am cursing you now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whipplem104 For This Useful Post:

RicardoD (2 Days Ago)

Haha thanks. I used some hylomar on the small lower pan... I always do but thats easy to clean off and doesnt set hard.

For the larg upper pan, The factory instructions state to use some of their own RTV silicon at the back end. I think im going to follow these instructions.

Im also thinking of using some RTV at the timing case to head gasket area? I dont think the head gasket looks like it will seal itself without assistance, especially around the bolt holes?

I will use the correct orange stuff for the timing case to block mating surfaces.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaymanek For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Day Ago), nocfn (1 Day Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by whipplem104 View Post
    I can say that I curse anyone that uses sealant on the lower pan. I mean it and your family.. It is not needed and all it does is create, at best a giant cleaning project the next time the pan comes off. I am cursing you now.
    I've run into that several times on M119 valve cover gaskets, and had similar sentiments. Gooping RTV on rubber valve cover gaskets makes no sense at all... I at least understand the desire on the lower oil pan, as I've had more than one end up with tiny seepage even though I did everything as carefully as possible. Last one I did (forget which engine) I tried the blue Hylomar on the lower pan gasket and some oil still snuck past, but that might be due to the Red Line oil; I learned on the diff covers that Hylomar can't keep Group IV/V synthetics from eventually leaking.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

jaymanek (1 Day Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by DerFuror View Post
    I'm late to this dance, but 1.5 years ago during Operation Leak Elimination, I used Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket #3 to seal my lower oil pan & many other fluid contact surfaces. No leaks to this day.

Been using it for generations. Very versatile & effective product.

Just don't tell the kids that it's chocolate syrup. You'll get in big trouble.
    +1 That stuff works like a charm. I usually coat the gasket I'm using with it sparingly. Never failed me.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to daantjie For This Useful Post:

sheward (1 Day Ago)

@gsxr, I think I used gasgacinch the 500E oil pan gasket, how did it hold up?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to omegabenz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (22 Hours Ago)

Oh don't get me started on valve cover gaskets and sealant. I have thought about just telling customers they need to buy a new one for 4-500 dollars. You can never get the new gasket to stick in correctly if you do not get it clean.

If you are having leaking issues on the oil pan then there is something wrong. I have done that job hundreds of times and never had one leak. Either something else like the oil level sender is leaking or the pan is warped or damaged surface.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to whipplem104 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (22 Hours Ago)

After the metal oil tube project, 5-6 years ago, I was having trouble seating the passenger valve cover gasket.
    Even though I had been taught by this site to be patient and keep working, the mechanic coated it with some sort of sealant to "make the gasket stick".
    They were nice enough to let me use their shop. I was, and still am, a novice and they were trying to help, but I will have to deal with that gasket the next time I do the job.
    Lesson learned.
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trae For This Useful Post:

gsxr (22 Hours Ago)