Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: 300e Sedan, early-mid 90's; low mileage; well maintained

Senior Member stevenstevensteven's Avatar

WTB: 300e Sedan, early-mid 90's; low mileage; well maintained

Hoping to find a new daily driver.

I'm approx 75mins north of San Francisco, and would like find a vehicle that's within same day driving distance. If anyone has any leads, I'd appreciate letting me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

TerryA (12-23-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: WTB: 300e Sedan, early-mid 90's; low mileage; well maintained

I don't have any leads, but I'd highly recommend a 1993-1995 model only, to get the M104 engine with HFM electronic injection. The one exception is the 1993 300TE 4Matic which retained the M103 engine (the 4Matic was not offered in 94-95).

Even better, any year 400E/E420, as the fuel economy is almost the same as the 6-cyl, but you get a bunch more power and more standard equipment.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

mercepor (12-23-2017), TerryA (12-23-2017)

Steven: +1 on Dave's comments. We have a 94 E320 which is my DD. Have owned it for 8.5 years. Mileage now @ 225K. The M104 is a great engine. As noted the ignition and fuel injection is all electronic, no distributor. Engine management is flawless. Our car never stalls, hesitates or hiccups.

You will likely not have an easy time finding what you're looking for however. Any low mileage, well maintained example will probably belong to a dedicated MB owner and not for sale. Don't be afraid of a high mileage car if its been well maintained. But again such an example will be a rare find.

Don't know if you're a DIYer but keep in mind these cars require up keep and an indy shop is a must if you don't plan to work on it yourself. Many MB dealers don't want to work on these old models anymore. Indy shops by me are now around $105 per hour for labor.

Good luck.

Regards,

Peter Weissman

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geraniumtr For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-23-2017), TerryA (12-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenstevensteven View Post
    Hoping to find a new daily driver.

I'm approx 75mins north of San Francisco, and would like find a vehicle that's within same day driving distance. If anyone has any leads, I'd appreciate letting me know.

Thanks in advance.
    If you are considering a wagon I have a nice 1994 E320 blk / blk available. Located near John Wayne airport so fly down and drive home

Jeff
    "Nice Things Cost Money" - Oskar Schindler

8. The Following User Says Thank You to captruff For This Useful Post:

TerryA (12-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    I don't have any leads, but I'd highly recommend a 1993-1995 model only, to get the M104 engine with HFM electronic injection. The one exception is the 1993 300TE 4Matic which retained the M103 engine (the 4Matic was not offered in 94-95).

Even better, any year 400E/E420, as the fuel economy is almost the same as the 6-cyl, but you get a bunch more power and more standard equipment.
    I don't have any experience driving or working on the M104, but I must say I'm curious. I've learned so many tricks of the trade re the M103, I've been kinda nervous about making the leap, as I hate having to rely on an external mechanic, and with work and kids I don't have the time to invest in DIY like I once did.

I would love to have the extra power of the 400. How fun.

Quote Originally Posted by geraniumtr View Post
    Steven: +1 on Dave's comments. We have a 94 E320 which is my DD. Have owned it for 8.5 years. Mileage now @ 225K. The M104 is a great engine. As noted the ignition and fuel injection is all electronic, no distributor. Engine management is flawless. Our car never stalls, hesitates or hiccups.

You will likely not have an easy time finding what you're looking for however. Any low mileage, well maintained example will probably belong to a dedicated MB owner and not for sale. Don't be afraid of a high mileage car if its been well maintained. But again such an example will be a rare find.

Don't know if you're a DIYer but keep in mind these cars require up keep and an indy shop is a must if you don't plan to work on it yourself. Many MB dealers don't want to work on these old models anymore. Indy shops by me are now around $105 per hour for labor.

Good luck.

Regards,

Peter Weissman
    Glad to hear the positive comments on the M104.

I'm definitely a DIY'er. But when I lived in the big city (San Francisco), I had a few Indy's that I could rely upon if I got into trouble or didn't have the time. Now, I'm about 90mins north, in Sonoma County's wine country, and haven't located an Indy that I trust (not saying they aren't up here, just haven't had time to investigate).

And yes, I think you're right about not being too focused on low mileage. From time to time I see a person approximately 80 yrs of age driving a well maintained, low mileage, and always garaged W124. If I can, I stop them and give them my card, and let them know that if they ever want to sell their car to give me a call. I figure maybe I will get lucky and get one of those gems. The best I ever saw was a Brown 1992 300e with 24,000 miles at SF Mercedes repair in the Mission. I spoke at length to the shop's lead mechanic, and he told me that he was good friends with the car's owner and if it ever became available he was going to buy it

But again, my focus is, and should be, on how well the vehicle is maintained rather than mileage. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by captruff View Post
    If you are considering a wagon I have a nice 1994 E320 blk / blk available. Located near John Wayne airport so fly down and drive home

Jeff
    I'm really a sedan or coupe kinds of guy. But please feel free to PM me some photos/info. Perhaps I can be persuaded

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-23-2017), TerryA (12-23-2017)

Jeff
    Jeff - Is this the wagon that you referred to?
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12006

Jeff - Is this the wagon that you referred to?
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12006
    Correct.

Jeff

13. The Following User Says Thank You to captruff For This Useful Post:

stevenstevensteven (12-24-2017)

Just right for you but for how many days drive from SF:

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ct...412621140.html

@~$4K should be a steal...

1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan Ultra Clean 92K Miles - $4295 (Ashland)

Ultra Clean E320 Sedan, with updated Engine Harness that runs and looks beautiful. I bought this for a friend who needed a car when his "beater" blew up 3 years ago... I went to Pennsylvania to get it for him & then he said, "can you take a payment plan?" & couldn't come up with the money & I said, "I'm not a bank" & backed out...

I then offered it to my wife & she decided she wanted a SUV Mercedes that I found for her since her US Postal job required her to be out in every type of weather condition.

I was glad I found her a clean ML350 Florida SUV, and was glad this E320 sedan wouldn't be subjected to winter salt & sand.... as I have had several of these cars since 2002 & know how bulletproof they are. They are a Joy to Drive.... The Leather still smells new... I held on to it and have now finally decided to let it go to a good home only.... These cars are the LAST of the "hand built" Mercedes when a "no expense spared" mindset was normal in Germany until the bean counters got involved.... The Build Quality is truly awesome.

At just 92K miles, this is barely broken in. The hood looks in the picture like its dented.... Its NOT... Just a cloud variation... It wasn't completely closed at the time I took these pictures. The right rear quarter does have a couple deflections from something that was in the trunk, but can easily be fixed with a Dent Wizard service call.

I can answer any questions...., if you know Mercedes, this is a extremely Well Built & SAFE car & gets about 25+ miles per gallon with its straight 6 engine that easily clock 300-400K miles...

Asking $4295.

JP (508) 243-2290
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '92 300CE Black/burgundy Sportlined
    '94 320TE Silver/gray
    '86 BMW 635CSi Black/black 5spd
    '67 Volvo Amazon wagon Green/green 75Kmi time capsule
    '62 Volvo Amazon Black/red 4Dr 65Kmi time capsule

15. The Following User Says Thank You to northNH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by northNH View Post
    Just right for you but for how many days drive from SF
    Thank you very much. Looks very interesting.

I think I'd probably have it trucked here (will have to investigate pricing).

Anyone know a good Indy shop in Boston who can check this vehicle out for me?

Question: I've never bought an out of state (California) car and then brought it in to the state. I'm curious about the smog check. I live in a part of Sonoma County that is exempted from the semi-annual smog check, but I'm not sure if that also applies to new registrations. Does the smog fall upon me to conduct and pass prior to registration? Not that I'm too concerned about getting this vehicle to pass, but curious.

Thank you very much. Looks very interesting.

I think I'd probably have it trucked here (will have to investigate pricing).

Anyone know a good Indy shop in Boston who can check this vehicle out for me?

Question: I've never bought an out of state (California) car and then brought it in to the state. I'm curious about the smog check. I live in a part of Sonoma County that is exempted from the semi-annual smog check, but I'm not sure if that also applies to new registrations. Does the smog fall upon me to conduct and pass prior to registration? Not that I'm too concerned about getting this vehicle to pass, but curious.
    in my experience, in order to register a newly purchased vehicle in CA that you purchasd out of state, you must first get it smogged and bring ther certificate w you before you show up to the dmv.

Also, it is up to you to report the transaction price of the vehicle upon which yearly registration fees as calculated against.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-24-2017), stevenstevensteven (12-24-2017)

An e320 with headlamp wipers? Was that an option? I thought they deleted those on facelift 6 cyls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    An e320 with headlamp wipers? Was that an option? I thought they deleted those on facelift 6 cyls.

Not in Europe- they were an extra option. Code 600- Headlamp Wiper /Washer

Cars with ‘delete’ panels simply did not have that extra option from the factory. On the subject- It’s odd that so many members appear to ‘delete’ their headlamp wipers..... I think they not only look great but are also quite practical!
    Last edited by JC220; 12-24-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    1987 w124 200 E36 AMG Project car - ongoing 1990 w124 300E-24 Fully Restored
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project
    2007 w211 E220CDI Avantgarde Daily Driver
    Parted out myself- 95 C36 AMG / 95 E250D / 98 w124 India E220

Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    Not in Europe- they were an extra option. Cars with ‘delete’ panels simply did not have that extra option from the factory. On the subject- It’s odd that so many members appear to ‘delete’ their headlamp wipers..... I think they not only look great but are also quite practical!
    Indeed! One of the first things I had to check operation of when I picked up mine.

The Boston car looks like a nice option if it is truly rust free. I’m a sucker for 90’s green too.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

JC220 (12-24-2017)

A long ways away as well but i like this one for the money.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/c...434326583.html

drew

Mercedes E320 - $2650 (Mcdonough)

1995 Mercedes e320 clean inside and out needs nothing. AC and heat work. 147000 miles on it, new tires, brakes, shocks, flex disks( both). Needs new owner.

Danny (770) 856-1219
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

24. The Following User Says Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Some items which had been standard equipment were changed to optional, extra-cost items circa 1993-1994 on some models, notably the memory driver seat with telescopic steering wheel. I forget if the headlamp wipers were standard on the late sedans, but they were definitely optional on the diesel sedans and wagons. You could still get most any option via special order though (except items which MBNA deemed verboten in USA, like fire extinguishers or manual climate control). The Spruce Green E320 above has ASR as well (nice bonus), can't tell if it has heated seats though.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (12-24-2017)

another option

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/6416570999.html

Jeff

1995 Mercedes Benz E320 - 43k original miles - $7800

For sale is my low mileage, pristine E320. Car is located in central NJ. This is the last year this model was build. It has always been garaged and is in absolute perfect condition, given the age and mileage of the vehicle. Current mileage is 43k. I drive this car daily, so the mileage will go up.
    The car comes with a matching car cover. The front seats have been covered with custom covers and the leather seating is as new. Unfortunately, I have no documents from the previous owner. I was told that the car was owned by a retired physician in PA, who babied the car and always kept it covered in the garage. The is absolutely no rust. The car has only minor flaws, such as a small spot on the rear bumper where some of the paint came off (compliments of a shopping cart is my guess), a small scratch on the left side of the front skirt, and one of the wheels has tiny road rash. Everything works perfectly as it should. The wiring harnesses have been changed back in 2011 as per a printout MB Morristown has provided for me during an oil change last week. This is a very very unique car. Please serious buyers only. No - I do not need any help with selling the car. Cash only please.

Email only: p9bfw-6416570999@sale.craigslist.org

Do u work for Boeing? College roommate does flt sim data for them, and I believe he was on the 777 project.

Do u work for Boeing? College roommate does flt sim data for them, and I believe he was on the 777 project.
    Really? Thats what I do... whats his name?

Quote Originally Posted by sheward View Post
    A long ways away as well but i like this one for the money.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/c...434326583.html

drew
    Mercedes E320 - $2650 (Mcdonough)

1995 Mercedes e320 clean inside and out needs nothing. AC and heat work. 147000 miles on it, new tires, brakes, shocks, flex disks( both). Needs new owner.

Danny (770) 856-1219
    Requested pics of engine and interior. Thanks.

Guess I should also request carfax?

Wow!

Really? Thats what I do... whats his name?
    PM'd

The Atlanta car is about 1.5 hrs. from me. If you end up interested i could have a look.
    I never connected the 777 signature. There are quite a few regular contributors here employed in aviation. Some years ago i got to fly the 767 sim down at Delta.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

34. The Following User Says Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

TerryA (12-25-2017)

I never connected the 777 signature. There are quite a few regular contributors here employed in aviation. Some years ago i got to fly the 767 sim down at Delta.

drew
    Neat! Yeah its a fun place to work. The sims are just about the biggest video game you can imagine!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

sheward (12-25-2017)

another option

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/6416570999.html

Jeff
    1995 Mercedes Benz E320 - 43k original miles - $7800

For sale is my low mileage, pristine E320. Car is located in central NJ. This is the last year this model was build. It has always been garaged and is in absolute perfect condition, given the age and mileage of the vehicle. Current mileage is 43k. I drive this car daily, so the mileage will go up.
    The car comes with a matching car cover. The front seats have been covered with custom covers and the leather seating is as new. Unfortunately, I have no documents from the previous owner. I was told that the car was owned by a retired physician in PA, who babied the car and always kept it covered in the garage. The is absolutely no rust. The car has only minor flaws, such as a small spot on the rear bumper where some of the paint came off (compliments of a shopping cart is my guess), a small scratch on the left side of the front skirt, and one of the wheels has tiny road rash. Everything works perfectly as it should. The wiring harnesses have been changed back in 2011 as per a printout MB Morristown has provided for me during an oil change last week. This is a very very unique car. Please serious buyers only. No - I do not need any help with selling the car. Cash only please.

Email only: p9bfw-6416570999@sale.craigslist.org
    FYI, received the following from the owners after emailing him, along with some additional pics.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in my car. Here some additional information on the car, which I consider to be near collector quality. I purchased the car in January of this year from a MB service advisor at MB Mechanicsburg, PA. I was told that the car was previously owned by a retired physician who always kept the car in his garaged and covered. It was only driven during nice weather. The car comes with a customs car cover, custom Weathertech rubber mats and a customs sunshade for the front windshield. The front seats are covered with custom sear covers, and the leather seats underneath are pristine with no sign of any wear or tear.

Unfortunately, the seller did not provide me with any documentation as to the history of the car. I have a print out from MB what they have in their computer which shows some service history and most importantly that the wiring harnesses were changed back in 2011. I will send you a copy under separate email.

The car is in absolute pristine condition with not signs of any damage, rust or scratches. I have only had washed the car and the paint shows the extraordinary car the owner has provided for this car. It is an absolute pleasure to drive and everything works as it should.

Here a few things that are not perfect. The rear bumper has a very small paint chip, compliments of a NJ supermarket parking lot. One of the pictures will show this chip. I opted not to have it fixed, since it may become more obvious then it is now. Furthermore, the radio on/off switch can be temperamental when changing the volume up or down. I intended to have this repaired by Becker Radio in NJ where you can also get a iPhone output retrofitted. Check their website here:

The map pockets in either front door has some of the plastic coming lose. Apparently this is a known problem, but easily fixed with some glue. I have this on my to-do list for Spring. You will not see or notice it unless you look for it.

One of the wheels has a very small scratch. I guess NJ roads are responsible. Not much I can do. The roads over here are just horrible.

Other than that I have no knowledge of any other issue. I can look for a mechanic who can do a pre-purchase inspection. I take all my cars to an authorized dealer only, so I do not really have a house mechanic per se. I ask around and let you know.

Ok, enough for now. Call me if you have further questions.

Pics attached. Let me know what you think.

If anyone has any thoughts, or questions that I should ask, please feel free to chime in. I guess I should request a Carfax report, and a pic of the title, and perhaps copies of any maintenance reports. Any other suggestions?

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG

image4.JPG image5.JPG image6.JPG

The Atlanta car is about 1.5 hrs. from me. If you end up interested i could have a look.

drew
    I emailed the owner yesterday. No response. I'll let u know what happens. Thank you very much for the offer.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

sheward (12-25-2017)

Attached are few more pics on the PA vehicle, and maintenance records... just in case any one has any comments.

And got the VIN: WDBEA32E1SC232975

I also learned that owner also posted this thread back in Feb
    https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-now-what.html

Thanks in advance.
    P1040059.JPG P1040044.JPG P1040042.JPG
    P1040041.JPG P1040039.JPG P1040038.JPG
    P1040037.JPG P1040034.JPG P1040032.JPG
    P1040026.JPG P1040025.JPG P1040024.JPG
    P1040023.JPG P1040048.JPG P1040050.JPG
    P1040051.JPG P1040058.JPG P1040061.JPG
    P1040062.JPG P1040063.JPG P1040064.JPG
    P1040065.JPG P1040067.JPG P1040071.JPG
    P1040068.JPG P1040057.JPG P1040055.JPG
    P1040054.JPG
    Attached Files Attached Files

41. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-26-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Attached are few more pics on the PA vehicle, and maintenance records... just in case any one has any comments.

And got the VIN: WDBEA32E1SC232975
    Datacard: https://www.datamb.com/vin/PGXrlL29nZvAxwoJW

Paint is code 721, the USA name for that color is Moonstone Gray. Elsewhere is was Onyx Gray Metallic. Pretty rare color!

If you want a low-mile, nicely-optioned car, I think you could spend many months searching for something half as nice as this one.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

stevenstevensteven (12-26-2017)

Datacard: https://www.datamb.com/vin/PGXrlL29nZvAxwoJW

Paint is code 721, the USA name for that color is Moonstone Gray. Elsewhere is was Onyx Gray Metallic. Pretty rare color!

If you want a low-mile, nicely-optioned car, I think you could spend many months searching for something half as nice as this one.

Thanks for this.

I'm going to research car carrier companies, transport insurance options, and a local Indy shop in PA (for a pre-sale inspection) next. I was thinking of using www.escrow.com to handle payment, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

That is a stunning color!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

Great color! Test drove a W124 wagon in that color a few years ago in Vancouver, Washington. Should have bought it....

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen_Stephens For This Useful Post:

Okay, quotes from Car transport companies are rolling in. Anywhere from $1500-$3,000. Generally, internal transport is $500 more than external

Now, looking into German Indy shops in the NJ area who can do a pre-sales inspection. Just want to make sure there are not gotchas, since I'm mostly DIY.

Planning to use escrow.com for handling payment, unless anyone has any other ideas.

And finally, still need to talk with CA DMV just to make sure I don't mess up paperwork.

I'll continue to keep everyone up dated on my progress.

50. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

a777fan (12-28-2017), gsxr (12-28-2017), TerryA (12-30-2017)

Not sure if the car is close to this shop, but the owner Phil is the best of the best.

http://www.philseuro.com/
    1995 E36 wagon

52. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccrelan For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-28-2017), stevenstevensteven (12-28-2017), TerryA (12-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ccrelan View Post
    Not sure if the car is close to this shop, but the owner Phil is the best of the best.

This is fantastic. Thank you very much. I've been searching and calling around, trying to find a reputable shop. But it's pretty hard from across the country.

Phil looks to be approx 20miles from the car's location, so certainly close enough for the owner to drive to for an inspection.

I'll reach out to Phil and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-28-2017)

Less than 1500 miles between 2008 and 2013. Seems like it sat for long time. Make sure that PPI is thorough for fluid leaks.
    Otherwise, looks great. I have a 1995 E320 getting close to 250k kms and it is still fun to drive.

I am bit surprised that the seller is selling this car. In the other post, he said that he was selling it because he didn't want to damage the car on New Jersey roads. Did he say now why he was selling?

On a side note, the two other examples from Atlanta and Ashland look in decent condition.

57. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeym For This Useful Post:

TerryA (12-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ccrelan View Post

Spoke to Phil Jr by phone. Great guy. I've asked owner to schedule PPI appt. Thanks again for this.

PS. He said they only have 2 customers with 500e's. I assume you are one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
    Less than 1500 miles between 2008 and 2013. Seems like it sat for long time. Make sure that PPI is thorough for fluid leaks.
    Otherwise, looks great. I have a 1995 E320 getting close to 250k kms and it is still fun to drive.
    Yup, my current W124 is close to 300k.

I agree about leaks. Spoke to Phil Jr about all the places where the m104 commonly leaks, and he's going to be sure to inspect closely. However, i think he was more concerned about body rust than mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
    I am bit surprised that the seller is selling this car. In the other post, he said that he was selling it because he didn't want to damage the car on New Jersey roads. Did he say now why he was selling?

On a side note, the two other examples from Atlanta and Ashland look in decent condition.
    He is trying to buy a 95 320e Coupe. Sounds like he is either single or kids are grown, and never really wanted the sedan. Only got it because it was in such great shape. But he recently found his dream coupe. I gotta admit, I saw pics of the coupe, and it looks unbelieveable. I wish my kids were grown so that I didn't need the back seats

Oh, and the Atlanta & Ashland cars, as well as @captruff's beautiful wagon are all backup if this doesn't work out.
    Last edited by stevenstevensteven; 12-28-2017 at 11:33 AM.

59. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

TerryA (12-28-2017)

I do not own a 500e, but follow Phil on Facebook as he is a friend of a friend. He has a crazy W203 wagon with a very modded M113K engine.
    1995 E36 wagon

61. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccrelan For This Useful Post:

stevenstevensteven (12-28-2017), TerryA (12-28-2017)

PPI at Phils schedule for Tuesday

We'll certainly find out about any gremlins, if they exist, at that time.

Thanks again, everyone.

63. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

a777fan (12-29-2017), ccrelan (12-29-2017), TerryA (12-30-2017)

I was hoping to use Escrow.com vehicle escrow service to handle transfer of funds and title, but seller doesn't have experience with this and is a little hesitant to use. Anyone else have any other suggestions for an intermediary service that can process transaction?

PS. I do realize I can just wire transfer the funds and trust the owner/seller. Always a possibility.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

PS. I do realize I can just wire transfer the funds and trust the owner/seller. Always a possibility.
    Another option is to write up a contract explaining the details of the sale, mail or fax back & forth to get both signatures, and then pay for the car (check, bank transfer, etc). If the seller goes MIA you at least have documentation proving the vehicle is yours. Obviously, this is a bad idea if you don't trust the seller. Other options are to fly out and complete the sale in person, or have a local MB enthusiast act as a broker for you.

66. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

stevenstevensteven (12-30-2017)

Another option is to write up a contract explaining the details of the sale, mail or fax back & forth to get both signatures, and then pay for the car (check, bank transfer, etc). If the seller goes MIA you at least have documentation proving the vehicle is yours. Obviously, this is a bad idea if you don't trust the seller. Other options are to fly out and complete the sale in person, or have a local MB enthusiast act as a broker for you.
    All good ideas. I've just found Escrow.com to be so darn easy in the past, for a variety of transaction types, that I really didn't even give it a second thought.

68. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

TerryA (01-02-2018)

Any recommendations fronm the board on enclosed car carrier companies? Shopping them now, but hard to discern who is most reputable.

70. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

TerryA (01-02-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Any recommendations fronm the board on enclosed car carrier companies? Shopping them now, but hard to discern who is most reputable.
    Cost no object, Passport and InterCity tend to be the popular choices. More details here - note post #32 and #40:
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5940

Warning... there are enclosed carriers, and enclosed carriers. They are not necessarily the same. Passport and similar premium transporters will have hard-sided, totally-sealed trailers. Some places will claim they are "enclosed" when it's really an open carrier with soft sides that keep the sunlight off the car, but don't keep dust/dirt/rain out.

72. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

stevenstevensteven (01-02-2018)

Wanted to thank everyone again for helping me with this purchase. Not sure if I should be mentioning specific names, but what I can say is that members here:

• found the car that met my dream specs
    • found me a great indy shop in NJ who performed the PPI
    • drove the car for me and gave me a personal review over the phone
    • helped me locate a reputable transport company.

Wow, couldn't have done without the help of this great community.

Thanks again.

74. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

8899 (01-03-2018), a777fan (01-03-2018), ccrelan (01-02-2018), doolar (01-11-2018), gsxr (01-03-2018), sheward (01-03-2018), TerryA (01-03-2018)

Congrats on your purchase. That is a nice E320.

Enjoy
    Terry

76. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

gsxr (01-03-2018)

Looks like a very nice car. Post some pictures and thoughts when you can.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

Notes from Phil's review...

VEHICLE IS IN A+ CONDITION WITH SMALL ISSUES AS FOLLOWS.
    1. TIRES HAVE GREAT 9/32 TREAD BUT DATE CODE IS FROM 4417. ALL TIRES MATCH
    2. COMMON OIL LEAK IS PRESENT AT FRONT AND REAR OF CYLINDER HEAD GASKET. (considering having Phil redo the head before putting on transport truck. Thoughts?)
    3. CUSTOM SEAT COVERS INSTALLED AND VISUAL INSPECTION NOT POSSIBLE, BUT WE WERE ABLE TO SQUEEZE OUR HAND BETWEEN THE SEAT COVER AND SEAT LEATHER AND FEEL FOR ANY DEFECTS. NO DEFECTS NOTED.
    4. FRONT BRAKE PADS ARE 1/2 WORN AND ROTORS WILL BE NEEDED AT NEXT BRAKE SERVICE.
    5. NOTES:
    - ALL FILTERS ARE OF GERMAN QUALITY.
    - BATTERY IS NEWER AND OF ORIGINAL MB QUALITY.
    - BRAKE FLUID HAS BEEN CHANGED AND IS IN GREAT CONDITION AS ARE THE REMAINDER OF THE FLUIDS.
    - FIRST AIDE KIT AND TOOL KIT ARE PRESENT AND NOT MISSING COMPONENTS
    - LEFT REAR TIRE HAS DOUBLE WEIGHTS FOR BALANCING

Some misc pics from Phil...

I don't konw what the "Fascar Rating System" color is measuring, or what the results mean. Anyone know?

image3.jpeg image10.jpeg image9.jpeg

image8.jpeg image7.jpeg image6.jpeg

image5.jpeg image4.jpeg image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg image11.jpeg

79. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

a777fan (01-03-2018), JC220 (01-03-2018), Melville (01-03-2018), sheward (01-03-2018), skikrazey (01-04-2018), TerryA (01-04-2018)

Notes from Phil's review...

VEHICLE IS IN A+ CONDITION WITH SMALL ISSUES AS FOLLOWS.
    1. TIRES HAVE GREAT 9/32 TREAD BUT DATE CODE IS FROM 4417. ALL TIRES MATCH
    If the tires are 4417 that is no problem at all. 44th week of 2017 manufacture date. Given the time to transfer to the manufacturer to distributor to the tire retailer, they must have been recently purchased.

Jeff

81. The Following User Says Thank You to captruff For This Useful Post:

TerryA (01-04-2018)

If the tires are 4417 that is no problem at all. 44th week of 2017 manufacture date. Given the time to transfer to the manufacturer to distributor to the tire retailer, they must have been recently purchased.

Jeff
    Called Phil Jr. It was a typo. Tire mfg date is actually 4411.

I don't know what the "Fascar Rating System" color is measuring, or what the results mean. Anyone know?

image11.jpeg
    Also, found out that this is the brake fluid test. It shows that there is no water in fluid.

83. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

a777fan (01-03-2018), gsxr (01-03-2018), sheward (01-03-2018), TerryA (01-04-2018)

I wouldn't fret about 6 - 7 year old tires unless you are going to enter her in the Nevada mile. The car looks nice.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

85. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

gsxr (01-03-2018), stevenstevensteven (01-03-2018), TerryA (01-04-2018)

Now, to cross the California DMV Chasm.

Canundrum:

• Current owner must turn-in existing NJ License plates
    • Current owner prefers to remove these plate prior to vehicle leaving on transport
    • CA DMV wants vehicle smogged and VIN inspected (by a human) prior to processing new registration paperwork
    • CA DMV will not grant temporary moving permit to vehicle not previous registered in California.

So, how in the heck am I supposed to drive to get vehicle smogged and VIN inspected without a temporary moving permit, CA DMV registration, or licenses plates (from another state)?

Possible Options

1. Have vehicle transported by car carrier to Smog Center and DMV (for VIN inspection)
    2. Drive vehicle to Smog Center and DMV (for VIN inspection) without plates and run risk of being stopped by police, sheriff or hwy patrol? (do I run the risk of vehicle being impounded, or is this just a simple fix-it ticket?)
    3. Convince current owner to leave NJ plates on vehicle and send them back to him after I complete the CA DMV registratoin process.

Seems like the last option is most feasible. Will need to present to owner. If anyone has any other thoughts, please feel free to share.

I'm so excited about getting the new car that this stuff doesn't even bother me.

87. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

TerryA (01-04-2018)

Now, to cross the California DMV Chasm. ... If anyone has any other thoughts, please feel free to share.

I'm so excited about getting the new car that this stuff doesn't even bother me.
    Just drive the car with any cheap dealer frame in the rear license plate location (meaning no real plates - and no temporary plates) to get it smogged, to the DMV, etc. No biggie. I've done it many times with cars I have purchased from out of state. If you look carefully, you will see many many cars on the roads here in CA without plates --- almost always they are new cars with no plates (yet) or cars newly purchased from out of state.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

89. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

gsxr (01-03-2018), sheward (01-03-2018), stevenstevensteven (01-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    Just drive the car with any cheap dealer frame in the rear license plate location (meaning no real plates - and no temporary plates) to get it smogged, to the DMV, etc. No biggie. I've done it many times with cars I have purchased from out of state. If you look carefully, you will see many many cars on the roads here in CA without plates --- almost always they are new cars with no plates (yet) or cars newly purchased from out of state.
    Brilliant!

Thats really really odd. Here in Washington, you can purchase a 3 day generic ‘trip permit’, which you can use in any vehicle you choose, regardless of the previous registration or owner. I’ve used this feature many a time to drive cars home/shuttle to and from smog.

Sounds like Jlaa’s got you covered however!

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Unless the ossifer is having a REALLY bad day... if you have a signed title and bill of sale proving ownership and very recent purchase, they will generally not issue a citation. This assumes you are clearly driving between your residence and either DMV or emission testing station. Make sure to have proof of insurance as well.

Unless the ossifer is having a REALLY bad day... if you have a signed title and bill of sale proving ownership and very recent purchase, they will generally not issue a citation. This assumes you are clearly driving between your residence and either DMV or emission testing station. Make sure to have proof of insurance as well.

The possibility of driving without plates reminds me of a very bad experience I had when living in SF. Approx 13yrs ago I was driving my 260E through town trying to get to a morning meeting in Palo Alto, when I was pulled over for an expired registration tag. I had been having problems passing the smog test and was unable to get my car re-registered (I'm sure many here are familiar with the issue on the m103 engine). In any event, my car was impounded on the spot and was towed to the impound lot. I actually had to walk to the nearest car rental place where I got a car for the day.

I didn't know it as the time, but there was a criminal ring running the SF towing services and impound lots for the city. Years later the criminal ring was exposed. But what they would do is let their thugs into the [locked] lot to break into impounded vehicles and steal whatever was valuable. My car must have been targeted, but I had made sure it was locked when they towed it. In any event, when I finally was able to collect the vehicle the next morning, my drivers side and trunk locks had had a screwdriver stuck in them - both were broken and I had to unlock the car from the passenger side door. Also, the two front doors and the sunroof had the paint stripped from the edges where they tried to use some sort of pry bar or slim jim to break in. In any event, the sunroof and lock system have never operated normally since.

To add insult to injury, when I submitted a claim to the SF Police about what had happened to my vehicle while in their lot, they sent me a lawyer letter back denying the claim. They were adamant about no one being able to get into their "secure" and surveilled lot. They were pretty arrogant about it as well. You can only imagine my reaction several years later when the story broke on the evening news that the contractors who had run the lots were being indicted criminally. It immediately all made sense what had happened to my car, and left me questioning why they were so aggressive to impound my car in the first place when my expectation was that I only would receive a fix-it ticket.

94. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

a777fan (01-04-2018), gsxr (01-04-2018), Jlaa (01-04-2018), sheward (01-04-2018)

Most of us probably have plate stories. Went to buy a 500E at the Manheim, PA auto auction in 2001. Had to use a dealer to complete the transaction (not open to the public) and he put a paper plate on the car and left the date blank. Got pulled over on the way home by a statey in upstate VA and he told me that dealers routinely try and leave the temp plate blank so they can reuse and save the $15. The cop went to his cruiser and grabbed a marker and filled out the information and sent me on my way. Good guy!
    1993 Mercedes 500E
    2004 Mercedes E55

96. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cole67 For This Useful Post:

sheward (01-04-2018), stevenstevensteven (01-04-2018)

RE: Insurance

I just modified my current GEICO policy to include the new e320 so that it's covered while at the lot in NJ and during the transit. The GEICO rep was very knowledgeable about older cars, and suggested that I look into a "Stated Value Policy" from an Insurance broker. I'm curious if anyone here has experience with these, and what your thoughts are about them, and if you can recommend a broker who offers them. Essentially, my understanding is that the broker will write a policy premium based upon the value that I believe the vehicle is worth, rather than the KBB value.

As always, thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by stevenstevensteven; 01-09-2018 at 04:39 PM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quite a few E500E owners have agreed-value / stated-value policies. The typical catch is that the car usually cannot be used as a daily driver, but you'll need to check the fine print with each carrier. There are only about 4 big names for this type of policy... Hagerty, Grundy, Condon Skelly, and I think one more I'm forgetting offhand.

Lots more info here: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649

99. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

stevenstevensteven (01-09-2018)

Well, Intercity Transport needs at least another 2wks before it can pick up vehicle in NJ. Guess all transport trucks across all companies are currently taking collectable cars to Scottsdale Arizona, where I guess 3 of the biggest auction houses are having auctions. I guess someday I'll have to checkout one of these infamous auctions.

101. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

sheward (01-11-2018)