Thread: Brake Pads

Brake Pads

I currently use Porterfield brake pads and need to replace my rear rotors and pads. The indie I use prefers to use MB pads only. Is there a problem mixing pads?

Thanks

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Brake Pads

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walsh View Post
    I currently use Porterfield brake pads and need to replace my rear rotors and pads. The indie I use prefers to use MB pads only. Is there a problem mixing pads?
    It's best to keep the same compound front & rear, or at least similar. For normal street use you probably wouldn't have any issues.

What's the indy beef with Porterfield? The R4-S is a very good street pad, just expensive.

MB pads are fine of course, but tend to be very dusty / dirty. MB expects us all to have staff that clean the wheels on our fleet at least weekly.

BTW, MB rotors are not expensive and I'd generally recommend OE MB rotors. The aftermarket stuff is becoming more iffy these days.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Thanks Dave, I'll order some Porterfield pads.

My 2 cents.

At the risk of starting another....what brake pad should you use on your MB debate.......have you ever tried Akebono pads? No more dust and dirt on your cars wheels and I'd wager a Benjamin on it. And I think they provide equal stopping power as any MB OEM pad. Checkout FCPEuro.com. They usually have all the various Akebono pads no matter what MB you're driving.

Quote Originally Posted by MB V8 View Post
    My 2 cents.

At the risk of starting another....what brake pad should you use on your MB debate.......have you ever tried Akebono pads? No more dust and dirt on your cars wheels and I'd wager a Benjamin on it. And I think they provide equal stopping power as any MB OEM pad. Checkout FCPEuro.com. They usually have all the various Akebono pads no matter what MB you're driving.
    I use Akebonos on my car and I LOVE THEM. Dust is so minimal. Did I mention I LOVE LOVE LOVE them?
    To be fair ---- My style of driving is quite gentle. I don't do enough repeated hard braking from autobahns to notice any fading with these pads, vs. MB OE pads, if any.
    Initial bite of the pads works well for me, as well.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

gsxr (01-02-2018), TerryA (01-03-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by MB V8 View Post
    My 2 cents.

I started using Akebonos a number of years ago and at first I was pretty happy with them. Reasonable cost, very light dust, decent feel. However, over time I've become less enthusiastic about them. My personal gripes are:

1. Intermittent squealing at low speeds (say, under 3mph) that is difficult or impossible to cure: This is probably my biggest complaint, and it only affects one or two of my cars with 'Bonos, which is odd. Yes, I've tried applying the MB brake grease to all pad/caliper/hardware contact points, but that is a short-term solution if it does anything.
    2. More static drag than other compounds: I noticed on some of my cars, the front wheels would not spin freely when off the ground. I thought perhaps I had some sticking brake caliper pistons. It took me years to figure out that it was the Akebono pads! Swapping pads on the same car made a noticeable difference. This is picking nits of course, although based on my observations I think it causes a reduction in fuel economy of ~1mpg, possibly a bit more, on a W124 chassis.
    3. The Akebonos have quite a long break-in period when new: The first few stops are so poor, IMO they are borderline unsafe until fully bedded. This is the polar opposite of Porterfields which feel like they have 99% normal stopping power even with new pads and new rotors, backing out of the garage after installing. Again, not the end of the world, but pray you don't need a panic stop with new Akebonos fitted. Once bedded they are good, but not great. Compared to Porterfield, I personally think the ceramics feel just slightly wooden. <flame suit on>
    4. Akebonos are not adequate for serious high-performance use: This is generally a non-issue for most people, but reports from the racetrack indicate they can't take repeated abuse. They're not designed for that of course, and most people would not care, but if high-speed use is a concern Akebonos might not be the best choice.

That said, I still haven't quite found the perfect pad. OE are too dirty, Porterfield are quite expensive and still medium dust. I've purchased 2 different used cars with pads that are fantastic (light dust, no noise, great feel, yadda x2) but they have no markings to indicate the brand or model, and of course there were no service records. When I was racing motorcycles (GSX-R750) ~20 years ago, Performance Friction carbon-metallic pads were insanely awesome, but of course PF doesn't make any pads for Mercedes 124/129 applications. I'm still hunting for the elusive Goldilock's Porridge Pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    I use Akebonos on my car and I LOVE THEM. Dust is so minimal. Did I mention I LOVE LOVE LOVE them?
    To be fair ---- My style of driving is quite gentle. I don't do enough repeated hard braking from autobahns to notice any fading with these pads, vs. MB OE pads, if any.
    Initial bite of the pads works well for me, as well.
    Jlaa, for weekend cruising and/or typical city driving... the Akebonos are perfect (if they remain quiet). The super-light dust is definitely a major enticement.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

500AMM (01-03-2018), cole67 (01-03-2018), JC220 (01-03-2018), Jlaa (01-02-2018)

I also am a big fan of the Akebonos....I have run them on a few of my street cars for several years now. Zero issues.

To Dave's counterpoint...I tracked my old built 550 hp RS6; the pads held up just fine in the 2 ton + car...lasted all day long and subsequently I sold the car with them on with plenty of meat left.

...if someone is blowing thru a set of pads on a HPDE track day (non-competition), get some instruction on how to scrub off speed without the heavy foot on the stop pedal. Nothing screams novice more than boiling your brake fluid and melting your pads !
    1992 500E - Spruce Green(249) Cream-biege (275)
    2007 CLK63
    2010 BMW X3
    2001 Audi allroad
    1986 VW Scirocco 16V

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo For This Useful Post:

gsxr (01-03-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I've been running Akebonos on my 560SEC for years and have been extremely happy with them on all counts.

I have sets for the front and rear of my E500, but have not yet had the opportunity (I don't drive the car a ton) to change them out, but they are waiting in the wings.

Can't endorse the Akebonos more. Very little dust, as has been said, and good feel after brief breakin period.

Cheers,
    Gerry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (01-03-2018)

I have the Akebono all around on the C126 as well, the E500 has them up front. They take a break in period but I wont change brands, white dust at a minimum is fantastic. With 3 MB, I am not interested in cleaning wheels every 4-5 days.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (01-03-2018)

Do you guys also find the Akebono ones a bit soft at first?

Yes to soft feel, but it dissipates pretty quick
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

What about Brembo pads? Appears to score good in various pad comparison tests.
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

Jono recommended Porterfield R4-S pads for my stock 1993 500E brake system, still have the alloy front Brembo calipers! I sourced Zimmermann (OE MB supplier if not mistaken) cryo treated rotors and the Porterfield R4-S pads from Chris at http://frozenrotors.com/ Very happy with the enhanced brake performance of the car! Been buying from them for years with great results. Their cryo treatment process is patented and better than the competition. Found that out the hard way.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skikrazey For This Useful Post:

500AMM (01-04-2018), cole67 (01-04-2018), gsxr (01-04-2018)