Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with 1994 e420

Need some help with 1994 e420

Hello everyone
    love to read this forum as a lot of work on my car was done through yours tutorials and now needed a little advice here as I didn’t found any info about it. So basically my check engine light turns on and have to admit for the last few months my fuel was running out so fast that it was enormous even for v8( full tank of shell v-power lasts approx 200miles or less, with a lot of highway driving)
    i checked the codes through blinker under the hood and it shows 2,3,6,26.
    now I understand that first two of them should be related straight to oxygen sensor and I’ve already ordered one, but, how many of them do I need? I can’t find info about that, as I know a lot of modern cars can have from 2 to 4 O2 sensors easily.
    And the other two codes?
    Read about 26 like it’s nothing serious but #6 ?

I know here a lot of people who knows everything about those cars and I would be really thankful if you will help me figure out these problems
    P.S.: by the chance anybody have front struts to these e420 as mine just rusted out and broke a little piece

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Need some help with 1994 e420

There is only 1 oxygen sensor, but it can be trick to remove... full details are in this thread:
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824

Your poor fuel economy MIGHT be due to an odometer gear problem, which is not uncommon. Since you drive on the highway a lot, clock the odometer over a long stretch (40-50 miles would be great if possible) and see if the odo is fairly close. If not, you may have some gears missing teeth:
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4721

DM (CEL) error codes 2 and 3 do seem to be related to the O2 sensor, so see if the new sensor helps. Code 26 is related to the cold-upshift delay for catalyst heating, could be a vacuum issue, or a few other bits... however it won't cause poor fuel economy. Code #6 [idle control inoperative] is the one to be concerned about; does the car idle at 500rpm in gear and 650rpm in P or N? I'm guessing your car does not have ASR or you might be in limp mode (ASR light on). Does the cruise control work? You'll need to clear these codes and see which return; ideally you'll also check codes on the LH and E-GAS modules, and everything else while you're in there... hand-held blink code reader required:
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2996

If you want to buy used front struts, post in the classified "Wanted" section here and on other MB forums. However, given the reasonable cost of new aftermarket Bilsteins, I'd go that route from your favorte vendor (FCPEuro, AutohausAZ, Importec, etc). Only get Bilstein / Sachs / Boge, don't fall for cheap KYB's or Monroes.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (03-22-2018), emerydc8 (04-27-2018)

Thanks a lot for your quick reply
    my odometer stop working yaer ago, always trying to find the right gears for that but always afraid to order wrong one.
    also mine has cats deleted in the past due to be clogged and way to expensive(for me) to replace, but idle is perfectly fine, car has ASR and works just fine in winter, also cruise works just fine too.
    for the struts i was thinking to get pair from e320 from local junk yard, missed e420 in pristine condition to get few parts from(.
    Also shock absorbers works fine but struts just rusted out(, when I come home after 3 weeks out of state and test drive it it was clunking on the front, when i jacked it up saw a piece of strut under it

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If the idle, cruise, and ASR are all working... code #6 may be a fluke. See what happens after changing the O2 sensor. I'd also reset the LH module adaptation, but this requires a hand-held blink code reader (or digital scanner / SDS).

E320 struts will work ok, depending on the exact part number you may need to drill out the pinch bolt hole for the 14mm bolt used on the E420, but that's about it. It's likely the strut shaft stop buffers are also shot, ditto for the accordion dust boots, and strut mounts.

I'm not sure what you mean by "saw a piece if strut under it"...? The front struts are the dampers / shock absorbers. Are you referring to something else? Photo attached of a front strut.

Attached Images Attached Images

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (03-22-2018), emerydc8 (04-27-2018)

relly really sorry about disorientation

coil springs)
    both of front springs are cracked. Is there any other mercedes that I can use a pair off?
    BTW photo from your website
    P.S.: 1245421469 odo is the same gears as for 500E?
    Last edited by Neoni; 03-22-2018 at 08:41 PM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Neoni View Post
    relly really sorry about disorientation
    coil springs)
    both of front springs are cracked. Is there any other mercedes that I can use a pair off?
    BTW photo from your website
    P.S.: 1245421469 odo is the same gears as for 500E?
    AH, coil springs, got it. You could use 6-cyl springs but the front end will sit lower than normal. The E420 springs are only used on the 400E420. You'll need a proper Mercedes plate-type spring compressor to safely replace them. Check with captruff on this forum and see if he has any used springs for sale, he has parted out a few E420's.

For the odo gears, see the thread linked in post #2 above, post #29. Same gears as 500E, but Garagistic has sent the wrong E3 gears more than once, so make sure you are ordering the correct tooth count (assuming your odo gears are bad).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (04-27-2018)

Ok there
    so I replaced oxygen sensor, reset codes and now looks like it’s really fast car)
    Also didn’t find coil springs because didn’t find any w124 on my local junk yard, but found w210 e420 that I get springs out, but they are not the same length. Diameter is the same as w124 but w210 has shorter springs. So for now I put them in my and trying to find a proper pair as now I have a sport line suspension)))
    By the chance can somebody provide a proper part number for coil springs 400E420?
    And thanks to everyone for your help, now it’s running much better

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

W124 400E420 front spring part numbers are 124-321-39-04 standard, 124-321-42-04 Sportline. New are $250/pair delivered from Naperville, free ship with code 500EPROMO...

https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...ing-1243213904

For the love of god please be careful when messing with Mercedes springs. Watch these two jokers almost get killed on W210.

'00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

Eno (03-25-2018), gsxr (03-25-2018), sheward (03-25-2018)

Almost forgot to ask:
    My engine is ticking from time to time, just want to determine that is a Oiler tubes(which in my engine are plastic).
    So sometimes when it was staying for two weeks or more on cold when you start it it quite so much that you only can hear air blowing by the fan clutch of the front of the engine, and sometimes it’s ticking so bad that you can hear it from car when you open a window a little, also it’s depends on RPM’s of the engine.
    But the truth is sometimes it’s ticking sometimes not?
    what it can be if not the Oiler tubes?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Almost forgot to ask:
    My engine is ticking from time to time, just want to determine that is a Oiler tubes(which in my engine are plastic).
    So sometimes when it was staying for two weeks or more on cold when you start it it quite so much that you only can hear air blowing by the fan clutch of the front of the engine, and sometimes it’s ticking so bad that you can hear it from car when you open a window a little, also it’s depends on RPM’s of the engine.
    But the truth is sometimes it’s ticking sometimes not?
    what it can be if not the Oiler tubes?
    Very likely to be the oiler tube, but if you find some videos that may help you figured it out. Or, post a video of your ticking noise.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (04-27-2018), Neoni (04-28-2018)

https://youtu.be/ZoPgjctrJbk
    I did a quick video about ticking from the engine,can anyone determine what is making that ticking?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Neoni For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (04-27-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Sounds a lot like an oiler tube (or two). If you can narrow it down to one side of the engine, pull that valve cover for inspection. Easy to determine if a tube is popped, once the v/c is removed.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Sounds a lot like an oiler tube (or two). If you can narrow it down to one side of the engine, pull that valve cover for inspection. Easy to determine if a tube is popped, once the v/c is removed.

Strange that I drove it for two days and engine was quiet, and today after a few miles I start it and his ticking like tractor

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

When my old E420 had a popped oil tube, some days it was silent, other days it sounded like your video. NO idea why it would fluctuate like that, but replacing the bad tube fixed it permanently.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

When my old E420 had a popped oil tube, some days it was silent, other days it sounded like your video. NO idea why it would fluctuate like that, but replacing the bad tube fixed it permanently.

I would order new valve cover gaskets, and all that stuff like tensioner, etc. that was in how to thread, but in my case I have only plastic tubes to change, does they will last a while?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If the valve cover gaskets are only a few years old (or less), they can be re-used. If older, buy new OE (not aftermarket). No need for the tensioner or anything else, but you will need a couple of spare tubes on hand in case you do find some popped. Then it depends if you want to shell out for a set of metal tubes, or just want to change the couple bad ones with good plastics.

While the valve cover(s) are off, also inspect for any chain rail damage, and measure chain stretch if you're feeling energetic. If you have no idea how old the chain rails are, I'd also order a pair of the "fingered" clips for the top/center rails between the sprockets; these almost always break when you touch them if over ~10 years old, and new ones are cheap.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

+1
    You can get a cheap stethoscope from Harbor Freight and narrow down which side it's coming from, but like Dave said, you should have a few new oiler tubes so that when you get the valve cover off you won't have to go in again.

This is a picture of the new tube along with the end plug that usually blows out of the old tube and causes the problem. I found this old plug in my oil pan when I pulled it off a few days ago to change my oil quantity sensor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emerydc8 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-27-2018), Neoni (04-28-2018)

I’ve recently acquire like 20+ oil tubes, but they all are plastic
    Also as I can see you don’t recommend using Victor Reinz gaskets ( they are on sale at AutohausAZ for 24$ each)
    But anyway have to order all that plastic stuff
    p.s.: are the front brakes on e420 and 400e non interchangeable? I have front calipers from 400e and rotors from e420, and when I bolt them on it’s just stuck

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

You can get the OE Genuine MB gasket sets for a few bucks more from mboemparts.com (MB Naperville), free shipping with promo code 500EPROMO. Get the plastic stuff there too. And remember, AHAZ has everything "on sale", all the time... marketing gimmick.

1992 USA 400E front brakes are smaller (thinner), 1993-1995 400E/E420 in USA all use the same size brakes, front & rear. Euro models have different sizes. Your profile doesn't state your location, but since you mention AHAZ (and a CEL) I'm guessing you are in USA.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Neoni (04-28-2018)

I’m in Chicago,IL forgot to add that info
    So I’ve had ordered new pair of front rotors, after realize that my calipers are stuck, change them for a pair from 400e, works ok, but my rear calipers was bad too, which cause front rotors to overheat and bend, now changed rear calipers, front rotors, and front rotors didn’t fit properly, as the caliper have a metal lane in the middle which stuck on rotors from e420. I’m having fun with this car every time I get home from work over the road

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Sounds like you got 1992 400E calipers which are made for 22mm thick rotors, and the 25mm thick 1993-95 rotors won't fit in a 1992 caliper. The casting numbers stamped on the outside of the calipers will indicate if they are the early/small or later/large versions. As you found out, the parts are not interchangeable. The later/thicker setup is preferred, MB upgraded to those due to warping issues with the silly smaller / undersized brakes originally fitted.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Neoni (04-28-2018)

I’ve actually fitted 1994 rotors into 1992 calipers, but was having a long time with hand file, I have to remove some metal from middle of the calipers I know it’s dumb, but it works now

Also what can cause engine to misfire during load, like sometimes I step on the gas and it’s like skyrocket, and sometimes it’s just start to misfire like hell?
    Last edited by Neoni; 04-27-2018 at 05:28 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Neoni For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-27-2018)

So far so good, I’ve recently done a lot of brake job on mine e420, resurfaced my rotors, as they has like thousand miles on them before warped, changed rubber hoses, bleed them and figured that have to route new brake line to rear passenger side( rusted so badly that I don’t even won’t try to unscrew that), last winter had to do new brake line to rear driver side, it just broke due to ASR blockin spinning in Chicago winter.
    But as heat recently get to Illinois now have the problems with climate control, thing is: ac works, but works with heat, changed mono valve once, didn’t help, have one more spare mono valve, will try that too, but is there anything that I can look for? AC recharged, heat works great, blows hot from side and foot vents. Any help appreciate, as my small black Benz will cook me soon

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

But as heat recently get to Illinois now have the problems with climate control, thing is: ac works, but works with heat, changed mono valve once, didn’t help, have one more spare mono valve, will try that too, but is there anything that I can look for? AC recharged, heat works great, blows hot from side and foot vents. Any help appreciate, as my small black Benz will cook me soon
    I'm not understanding exactly what's wrong with your HVAC. Do you mean that you only get hot air (max hot air), all the time, even if the AC compressor is running? If so, try applying 12v directly to the monovalve and listen if it clicks shut. If so, leave the 12v applied and see if the heat stops. That will confirm the monovalve is working, and that the problem is in the controls somewhere. If not... the monovalve is bad (also bad if it doesn't audibly 'thunk' closed each time you apply voltage).

BTW, the monovalve design changed in mid-1994 USA model year production, circa Nov-1993. Details in post #17 here: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8382

Make sure your spare mono valve is the same type; they are not interchangeable.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (05-31-2018), Neoni (05-12-2018)

I'm not understanding exactly what's wrong with your HVAC. Do you mean that you only get hot air (max hot air), all the time, even if the AC compressor is running?
    Well yeah I’m getting hot air all the time, only getting cold when car is still cold.
    in winter it was ok, but even then heat do some strange things like sometimes can’t figure out how strong he needs to blow air, as temp was ok, he quit to blow, and when cooling was needed start to blow more and more with no result.
    Previously I was testing monovalve by applying 12v to it and it clicks, I see it moves inside, now have to check all of them for working order and correct part number.
    Also if the valve would be not my problem what else can cause this
    Car also like to run radiator fans on high from time to time, even when the engine is not in the middle temperature. Like you drove it for some time, temp was ok, then shut off and start after 10-15 min, and it spin fans for a while, then stops
    p.s.: also my monovalve has 4 ports, all of them.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Well yeah I’m getting hot air all the time, only getting cold when car is still cold. in winter it was ok, but even then heat do some strange things like sometimes can’t figure out how strong he needs to blow air, as temp was ok, he quit to blow, and when cooling was needed start to blow more and more with no result. Previously I was testing monovalve by applying 12v to it and it clicks, I see it moves inside, now have to check all of them for working order and correct part number.
    OK, if there is a solid "thunk" when applying 12v - every time - that is a good sign. Next test would be to leave 12V connected and go for a test drive and see if you get cool air.

Also if the valve would be not my problem what else can cause this
    If it's not the valve, it's something with the controls. Pushbutton unit, temp sensor, fuse, etc etc... something electrical inside the car. Again, this assumes the monovalve is good.

p.s.: also my monovalve has 4 ports, all of them.
    Hope you have a good one, as the 4-port version is $$$ new.

Car also like to run radiator fans on high from time to time, even when the engine is not in the middle temperature. Like you drove it for some time, temp was ok, then shut off and start after 10-15 min, and it spin fans for a while, then stops
    Assuming you do NOT have a CoolHarness or similar modification installed, the twin electric fans should not run on high speed until engine temp is 107C. The fans will intermittently run on low speed when the AC is engaged. First thing is to confirm if the fans are running on high or low speed, next check for a CoolHarness (search for info) or equivalent resistor mod, last is to see if the dash temp gauge is showing an accurate temp.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Neoni (05-19-2018)

I’ve checked monovalves, both are good as they ticking when applying 12v directly, but with voltmeter connector shows 0.5 to 0.67 volts on monovalve plug as you change from max cold to max hot, will try to find a spare control unit, but in the meantime any suggestions what can be bad? You said there can be a fuse or relay, etc. Will try to go step by step detecting problem, any info appreciated

Took a look on control unit, it’s baked, gonna find replacement and see how it works

Received odometer gears from Garagistics today, change them but no luck, odo still not working, what else can I check before assuming I need new odo?

Just send it to north hollywood speedometer and have them fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by atg; 07-26-2018 at 08:15 AM. Reason: wrong business name

47. The Following User Says Thank You to atg For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (05-30-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Or Palo Alto Speedometer, also a great vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    Just send it to west hollywood speedometer and have them fix it.

I believe it is North Hollywood Speedometer As Gerry mentioned Palo Alto is also an option as would Gail's Speedometer Service in Costa Mesa CA 949-646-9120 (established 1962)

http://www.gailspeedo.com/

Jeff
    "Nice Things Cost Money" - Oskar Schindler

50. The Following User Says Thank You to captruff For This Useful Post:

skikrazey (05-30-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Received odometer gears from Garagistics today, change them but no luck, odo still not working, what else can I check before assuming I need new odo?
    Are you positive you received the correct tooth count on the gears? I know a couple people received the wrong gears from Garagistic in the past.

See post #29 here:
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4721

Quote Originally Posted by captruff View Post
    I believe it is North Hollywood Speedometer As Gerry mentioned Palo Alto is also an option as would Gail's Speedometer Service in Costa Mesa CA 949-646-9120 (established 1962)

http://www.gailspeedo.com/

Jeff
    Quite right North Hollywood Speedo. Fired that one off a bit too quickly (from West Hollywood).

Are you positive you received the correct tooth count on the gears? I know a couple people received the wrong gears from Garagistic in the past.
    Yes, pretty sure. I’ve got only small gear broken, didn’t change any other, but I guess I’ve put too much pressure somewhere or I’m missing something

Update: tried to pull it out again, and do that one more time, and oh,oh, he’s alive)
    the problem was when I replaced 12 tooth gear I’ve pushed it too far so it was hard for him to turn, so if anyone fixing that make sure it moves freely
    now I have to find a replacement for climate control unit and find out where is a whistl coming from front passenger side, there is also a water leaking from top corner after replacing windshield, but guy who do replacement check and said it’s a sunroof channel or something
    Last edited by Neoni; 05-31-2018 at 03:19 PM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Yes, pretty sure. I’ve got only small gear broken, didn’t change any other, but I guess I’ve put too much pressure somewhere or I’m missing something
    All three of the gears tend to fall apart... if you only changed one, take it apart again and see if teeth are now missing on the other two.

55. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Klink (05-31-2018), Neoni (06-03-2018)

The other two was in decent shape, lubricated and looks like made from silicone? Don’t know but they was like flexible, so I left them alone, make a few test runs, all seems fine

One more about climate control unit: are they are interchangeable with e320 models? A push button unit? My local salvage yard has a few of 300/e320 but no V8’s models, curious if it gonna work with mine?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

One more about climate control unit: are they are interchangeable with e320 models? A push button unit? My local salvage yard has a few of 300/e320 but no V8’s models, curious if it gonna work with mine?
    Yep, all the later HVAC pushbutton units are interchangeable (1990-1995 should be safe). I think the only ones which are slightly different are the 1986-87, due to using a different sensor/switch for the engine temp signal.

59. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Neoni (06-16-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

100% compatible and equal between the inline-six and V-8 models. Plug and play.

61. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Neoni (06-16-2018)

Thanks for reply, will get one tomorrow morning, see how it goes. With excessive heat warning for Chicago it’s pretty hard to drive around in black car whith black leather

Oh my, what a pleasure drive around with fully functioning A/C system, i was chasing it for almost two years now, and finally it works

64. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neoni For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-17-2018), sheward (06-17-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Congrats!!

66. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Neoni (06-18-2018)

Again thanks to everyone for help
    Ordered all the stuff for replacing oiler tubes today from mboemparts, will see how it goes
    Promo code help to save on shipping

68. The Following User Says Thank You to Neoni For This Useful Post:

a777fan (06-19-2018)

Update on my e420:
    Yesterday changed all oler tubes, find a bad one - driver side, last one was without cap.
    Also noticed a little hesitation sometimes at a stop light with D engaged, pulled insulator/distributor caps, oh my, what a mess was there. Caps are perfectly fine but need new distributor caps, both of them, as the driver side still original??? Another side has a mark BREMI on the bottom.
    Also while checking caps find out that my spark plug wires are BS that it just fall off, I mean, completely, so now have to put new wires and distributor caps, jump onto local junk yard as they have just posted mint S420, got all the parts form there, looks like new, will give them a try, at least spark plug wires are Karlyn/Bremi, and distributors are Bosch
    Also on the way home when started a car has no air coming from blower motor, it's not the first time this happening. When car is cold you start it, you drive it, climate works as it should, different blower speed, all stuff like recirculation, windshield, everything as new. But after you drive a bit, after you restart the engine, no air coming out, I can hear a/c works, as when you drive you can feel cold air coming from vents, also you can feel engine get load from a/c but no air flow. I checked fuses, also I've heard about a fuse rated 30Amps, that has two screws in it, near the brake booster, checked it, took it out, looks good, but no luck here.
    I think it might be some kind of a part that stopped work after getting hot, as it happens usually when it's over 85F outside and car is black in color, so gets pretty hot under the hood.
    Any advice will be apreciated, I'll try to post some photos of a bad parts, if anyone needed

New updates and need advises too:
    - Changed spark plug wires, distributor caps, cleaned insulator caps behind them, all looks good, runing nice and strong, no issues with power loss as it was
    - Changed engine oil w/filter, put some 5w40 oil, engine quite, but have a messy oil pressure sensor I guess, at hot temp when idling at stop gauge jumping a little between 1-2 marks, otherwise work correct on cold and acceleration, is there can be a bad sensor or any other known problems???
    - A\C messing with me again. After fixing bad monovalve + pushbutton unit and finally getting some colder air I realized that it works, but not how it's supposed to: ac compressor almost always engaged, and funny fact is with gauge connected to low pressure line it shows 40psi when compressor works, and goes really high when it doesn't. System was filled with PAG 46 oil and R134a freon, it somehow building up pressure, and friend told me that its probably a leak somewhere on high pressure side? my guess that the expansion valve is bad?
    I didn't start to dig it, but would appreciate any thoughts about this.
    Also please point me where to look for a high pressure valve?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

- A\C messing with me again. After fixing bad monovalve + pushbutton unit and finally getting some colder air I realized that it works, but not how it's supposed to: ac compressor almost always engaged, and funny fact is with gauge connected to low pressure line it shows 40psi when compressor works, and goes really high when it doesn't. System was filled with PAG 46 oil and R134a freon, it somehow building up pressure, and friend told me that its probably a leak somewhere on high pressure side? my guess that the expansion valve is bad?
    The AC compressor may run constantly, especially in very high ambient temps. It cycles on & off based on evaporator outlet air temperature; it turns the compressor off for a short time to prevent icing, then back on, and the cycle repeats. This is normal. When the compressor cycles off, the low pressure will increase, then pressure drops when the compressor turns back on. The bigger question is, are you getting cold air out the vents? If so, how cold? If you don't have a digital thermometer to stick into the center vents, pick one up, they are cheap.

Oil pressure sensor is a very common failure, causing inaccurate readings - search the forum for info. Replace with OE/OEM Hella/VDO only. They rarely leak though, oil leaks in that area are probably coming from somewhere else.

The oil level sensor that pokes through the side of the block is a very common leak point.

72. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Neoni (07-11-2018)

Thanks for reply, the air is not cold as you would expect to be, I can tell it’s a few F* lower than outside, and it’s changing from time to time, you can feel difference in temp out of vents, I think it’s not ok
    also I’ve found online that e420/e500 takes 8 ounces of PAG 46 and 33,5 ounces of R134a for a complete system charge
    my question would be: if you trying to completely drain and refill system does those machines with vacuum draining out all these Freon and oil, or it’s just checking if you have a leak somewhere? I guess I have to go somewhere for a complete test, drain and refill process as I was looking through web all night long, and found out a lot about ac fill/refill/overfill. Now my guess that I’ve messed up with correct amount of gas and oil, and to make it work properly I’ll have to go to someone who qualified for ac jobs, pay few $$ and forget about these
    Btw oil pressure sensor and oil level sensor is not leaking, but is it important to change them right away, like in my case it’s just jumping on idle between 1-2 otherwise looks good, or this sensor will play with ECM causing car to misunderstand? Or it’s just a gauge on cluster just for me?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Pulling a vacuum with a vacuum pump only basically evacuates air from the system and tells you whether the system is tight or not, or if there is a leak somewhere. It won't hold vacuum if there's a leak. Vacuum pumps are pretty cheap - you can get them for around $100 at Harbor Fright etc. or for less used on craigslist.

Evacuating the system of refrigerant + oil requires a different machine that has a collection receptacle for the "reclaimed" refrigerant and oil. These machines start at $400 and go up from there, unless you can find a used one.

IMHO it's best to take the car to a professional shop and have them completely evacuate it. This should cost you $75-100 max to do. Then you can refill it with appropriate refrigerant and oil.

However, I would go the vacuum route (and perhaps before that recharge with a bit of refrigerant and/or inject with A/C dye and run the system for a few times while driving the car) so you can determine where the leak is, if a leak exists (sounds like there is a leak somewhere).

If the oil level sensor is leaking, you'll need to remove the bottom of the oilpan to get at the sensor. If you do this job (and they all leak, eventually) we have a HOW-TO on it. It's best to do it when you are changing the oil, and also an IDEAL time to change the rubber pickup for the oil pump, which has changed design since the car was originally made and is a relatively cheap part. Be sure to get a new lower oilpan gasket for this job, as well as the appropriate o-rings for the oil level sender. I believe it comes with 1-2 of the rings, but another one is required.

Oil level sender HOW-TO is here.

Cheers,
    Gerry

75. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Neoni (07-12-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Thanks for reply, the air is not cold as you would expect to be, I can tell it’s a few F* lower than outside, and it’s changing from time to time, you can feel difference in temp out of vents, I think it’s not ok
    also I’ve found online that e420/e500 takes 8 ounces of PAG 46 and 33,5 ounces of R134a for a complete system charge
    You need a thermometer to measure vent temps. Can't say if anything is wrong without numbers. Under $10 will get you a digital unit, like this one for example.

my question would be: if you trying to completely drain and refill system does those machines with vacuum draining out all these Freon and oil, or it’s just checking if you have a leak somewhere?
    I believe the machines only remove the refrigerant, and possibly some oil. You can't remove all the oil without a lot more work, as a good portion of the oil remains in the compressor, and to fully remove the oil you need to pull the compressor out of the car.

I guess I have to go somewhere for a complete test, drain and refill process as I was looking through web all night long, and found out a lot about ac fill/refill/overfill. Now my guess that I’ve messed up with correct amount of gas and oil, and to make it work properly I’ll have to go to someone who qualified for ac jobs, pay few $$ and forget about these
    Evacuating, pulling vacuum, and charging with the correct amount of R-134a would be a good place to start. However, if anyone added oil to the system when it may not have needed it, excess oil could cause some problems. Hopefully that's not an issue.

Btw oil pressure sensor and oil level sensor is not leaking, but is it important to change them right away, like in my case it’s just jumping on idle between 1-2 otherwise looks good, or this sensor will play with ECM causing car to misunderstand? Or it’s just a gauge on cluster just for me?
    Neither is important to change right away, but the oil pressure sensor is nice to update so you can trust the reading on the dash. It should be steady at a given RPM. Neither sensor connects to any computer module, both go only to the instrument cluster gauge and idiot light, respectively.

77. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Neoni (07-12-2018)

A lot of important and good-to-know info for me here, i will try to get to a professional ac shop and drain refill, will see whats happen
    Also now driving with (what it looks like) A/C on I can tell that my transmission shifts hard with A/C on, and smooth with A/C off. Anyone experience that? I mean I can tell that it's shifting harsh 1-2, 2-3, then, without A/C, when climate control swithed to EC(economy) shifts nice as new, strange
    P.S:Also thinking about my windows to tint, when I get inside car seats feels like they'll burn my skin, black on black gets really hot after whole day sitting locked expanded to sun, maybe this also impact A/C above limits, don't know

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Transmission shift firmness is based on the vacuum signal from the engine, to the modulator on the driver side of the trans. Seems like the AC may be loading the engine more than normal, but enough to affect shifting would be really bizarre. In the meantime check for vacuum leaks on the entire engine, including the tube to the tranny.

Window tint is awesome, although some people hate it, I have dark tint on all my cars. Keeps the sun from frying & fading the interior via UV rays, keeps interior cooler, and reduces glare day & night. I like 3M ColorStable tint which is non-metalized, and won't interfere with your GPS or fuzzbuster. It's not cheap, but it's worth it. Pretty much every other less-expensive tint on the market is metalized, including the lower-end 3M tints. Usually is ±$300 for ColorStable installed on all 4 doors, rear glass, and a strip across the top of windshield. Don't attempt to install tint yourself, btw.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716665&rt=rud

I think my ac load engine more than usual, one more question is what would be happening if the expansion valve is bad? Is it going to be not that cold and loading compressor more than usual? Don’t know why but my guess that expansion valve is bad, last year pressure was there and this year still holding, only if the leak occurs by high pressure when working. Anyway will service ac system in shop soon and reply here with results, right now car engine gets hot in traffic with ac on

A defective expansion valve can only LOWER the thermal load on the AC system. It absolutely CAN NOT increase the thermal load on an AC system.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

82. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-12-2018), Neoni (07-12-2018)

Actually, it is extremely common that the transmission shifts become noticeably harder with the air conditioner compressor engaged. Engine load is increased, and vacuum is decreased, so there are two things happening simultaneously that increase shift firmness, those being less vacuum on the modulator/greater modulator pressure, and LESS engine torque at the transmission. If you’re tuned in to it, and you are now, the difference is pretty dramatic.

I usually set up my own old-school cars so that the shifts are about as soft as they can be without slipping with the AC compressor off, and that tends to make them close to the way I like them, or even a little bit too hard with the AC compressor engaged. Similarly, if one adjusts for a soft shift with the AC compressor engaged, it is not uncommon to find that the transmission slips on shifts when the compressor is disengaged. It has always been thus, and it is always amazed me that so few people notice this.

Now, all that being said it is not the same thing as saying that this vehicle is performing correctly. The lower the power of the engine, the more noticeable this phenomenon becomes.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

84. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-12-2018), Neoni (07-12-2018)

So basically it means that car still low on power, not enough to use it with ac on? I'm feeling a huge difference in power between ac on/off

also I found a small window on ac dryer where you can see whats flow in your system and it looks like beige fluid when ac work, or its clear with ac off. Is it too much oil in it so I can see it, or this is how it suppose to be?

Tinted windows today, did 5% on back windshield and doors plus 20% two front doors, doesn’t look to dark for me, will see how this improves heat rejection, btw on the way to tint shop maxed out AC and looks like it’s getting better. They told not to use ac for two days.
    is it ok to wash the car from outside now or better wait few days?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

So basically it means that car still low on power, not enough to use it with ac on? I'm feeling a huge difference in power between ac on/off
    You should not feel a huge power difference with AC on vs off. A small difference, in really hot weather, maybe. If it's huge, something ain't right.

also I found a small window on ac dryer where you can see whats flow in your system and it looks like beige fluid when ac work, or its clear with ac off. Is it too much oil in it so I can see it, or this is how it suppose to be?
    I forget what color it normally is, but the sight glass is kinda useless on R-134a systems. On older R-12 systems, you could tell when they were fully charged with the stream of bubbles was significantly reduced. The R-134a systems don't act the same way. I never even look at the sight glass so I'm not sure what is "normal". Klink would know.

Tinted windows today, did 5% on back windshield and doors plus 20% two front doors, doesn’t look to dark for me, will see how this improves heat rejection, btw on the way to tint shop maxed out AC and looks like it’s getting better. They told not to use ac for two days. is it ok to wash the car from outside now or better wait few days?
    I think you'll like the tint. I put 5% rear / 20% front on cars my wife drives, she doesn't like the 5% all around that I prefer (harder to see at night, but I'm used to it).

Not sure I understand the question about washing the car? Main thing is don't roll down the windows for 2-3 days, longer if possible. I pull the fuses for the power windows for a few days in case I forget.

88. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Neoni (07-14-2018)

I think you'll like the tint. I put 5% rear / 20% front on cars my wife drives, she doesn't like the 5% all around that I prefer (harder to see at night, but I'm used to it).

Not sure I understand the question about washing the car? Main thing is don't roll down the windows for 2-3 days, longer if possible. I pull the fuses for the power windows for a few days in case I forget.

I really like the tint, but all my friends screaming that I would a mognet for police to give me a ticket? Didn't think about it, but checking state law 35% only legal tint