Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 121 to 180 of 211

Thread: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

  1. #121
    Senior Member LWB250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    481

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    So BAT publicly shames a buyer who backed out:

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...slk55-amg-2-2/
    "This is a re-list after the car previously sold on BaT in September 2018 and the winning bidder failed to follow through with his purchase commitment. The sale could not be not completed due to a buyer who disappeared after the auction closed and not due to any fault with the car. That buyer has been banned from any further participation in BaT Auctions and his buyer fee was not refunded."


    Previous auction:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...z-slk55-amg-2/

    Dan

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

    Klink (01-02-2019), TerryA (12-01-2018)

  3. #122
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    172

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    They started this (the text from their site) sometime after Spring/Summer of 2017, maybe later.
    It's actually a good thing, there's more to it than meets the eye. For BAT to get to this point, there is more behind the scenes than is evident. I had a guy who "bought" my car pull a bunch of squirrely/manipulative moves to try to get out of the deal after the auction was over. He was clearly an impulsive and emotional guy, he was from south FLA, and after weeks of back & forth, with BAT getting involved, he realized none of his games to back out were going to work. It was too bad, he got a great deal. They banned him, refunded my listing fee (I didn't care about that, the 3 week hassle of dealing with a guy like that was far more of a headache than the small listing fee). They were reticent to relist my car, as I suspect they did not want potential future sellers to see this kind of stuff happening. As the site became more popular and more of this started to happen, they seem to have come up with an official policy and wording (per above). I believe if you, as a buyer, point out there were material misrepresentations and want to back out, they would not do this. For it to get to the point of them making the above statement, the buyer flew the coop or did something off the wall.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (11-30-2018), TerryA (12-01-2018)

  5. #123
    E500E Guru a777fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    881

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Is ‘no-show’ shaming a BAT rarity? If so, its interesting the seller in this case is Dean.

    Based on my observations, I would assume he (single handedly) has been responsible for a large percentage of their theoretical profit...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (12-01-2018)

  7. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    172

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Is ‘no-show’ shaming a BAT rarity? If so, its interesting the seller in this case is Dean.

    Based on my observations, I would assume he (single handedly) has been responsible for a large percentage of their theoretical profit...



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe no show shaming did not publicly exist on BAT before the 2nd half of 2017. It has now become more frequent as they have gotten bigger. I have seen it increasing more often in the last 6 months than I would have expected.
    There is still a reasonable deterrent for a no show - you lose your entire deposit.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (11-30-2018), gerryvz (11-30-2018), gsxr (11-30-2018)

  9. #125
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    18,342

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    I remember back in the day when there was a stigma attached to being a renegger on eBay. Nowadays they don't care. They only punish sellers.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (11-30-2018), gsxr (11-30-2018), kiev (1 Week Ago), LWB250 (12-01-2018), msq (11-30-2018)

  11. #126
    Senior Member LWB250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    481

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by msq View Post
    They started this (the text from their site) sometime after Spring/Summer of 2017, maybe later.
    It's actually a good thing, there's more to it than meets the eye. For BAT to get to this point, there is more behind the scenes than is evident. I had a guy who "bought" my car pull a bunch of squirrely/manipulative moves to try to get out of the deal after the auction was over. He was clearly an impulsive and emotional guy, he was from south FLA, and after weeks of back & forth, with BAT getting involved, he realized none of his games to back out were going to work. It was too bad, he got a great deal. They banned him, refunded my listing fee (I didn't care about that, the 3 week hassle of dealing with a guy like that was far more of a headache than the small listing fee). They were reticent to relist my car, as I suspect they did not want potential future sellers to see this kind of stuff happening. As the site became more popular and more of this started to happen, they seem to have come up with an official policy and wording (per above). I believe if you, as a buyer, point out there were material misrepresentations and want to back out, they would not do this. For it to get to the point of them making the above statement, the buyer flew the coop or did something off the wall.
    The buyer of my 1982 300D told me that he got shafted by a BAT buyer in a previous auction. The guy went dark after the auction, and despite numerous calls from both the seller and apparently someone at BAT they determined the buyer wasn't going to follow through. This took over a week to resolve, meaning that other potential buyers were moving on. After BAT decided the sale was dead they gave the seller the contact information for the next highest bidder. The seller reached out to them and ultimately made the sale, albeit for less than the buyer had originally bid.

    When I sold a 1990 350SDL on BAT the high bidder was a bit of a flake, and took nearly a week to respond to me. I was getting a bit concerned, at which time the BAT person involved with the auction assured me that if they determined the high bidder wasn't coming through they would put me in touch with the second highest bidder. This seems to be their modus operandi for such situations. The buyer finally did come through, but it took them almost three weeks to collect the car.

    Dan
    Last edited by LWB250; 12-01-2018 at 03:56 PM.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (12-01-2018), msq (12-01-2018), TerryA (12-01-2018)

  13. #127

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    I remember back in the day when there was a stigma attached to being a renegger on eBay. Nowadays they don't care. They only punish sellers.
    I agree. I wonder what Ebay's logic is behind this?
    Is it, "there will always be plenty of sellers and items selling, we need to keep the buyers coming back because they are the one's with the cash."

  14. #128
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevester 500E View Post
    I agree. I wonder what Ebay's logic is behind this?
    Is it, "there will always be plenty of sellers and items selling, we need to keep the buyers coming back because they are the one's with the cash."
    Yes. eBay is like honey badger, they just don't care.

    We could have a whole 'nuther thread on eBay's tactics. I buy & sell a fair amount on eBay, but it helps knowing how to run their gauntlet.


  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    Stevester 500E (12-01-2018), TerryA (12-02-2018)

  16. #129
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    172

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    T...... the BAT person involved with the auction assured me that if they determined the high bidder wasn't coming through they would put me in touch with the second highest bidder. This seems to be their modus operandi for such situations. The buyer finally did come through, but it took them almost three weeks to collect the car.

    Dan
    Yes, they offered to do that for me also, but in my case, since it took 3 weeks to play out, the 2nd highest bidder had already moved on (too bad, he had come to see the car before bidding). BAT was actually pretty good and helpful, but after 3 weeks of games/drama with original BAT "buyer", I just sold it locally. I needed the garage space by then.
    I was happy with BAT and give them credit for permanently bouncing the guy.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (12-01-2018), TerryA (12-02-2018)

  18. #130
    Senior Member LWB250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    481

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by msq View Post
    Yes, they offered to do that for me also, but in my case, since it took 3 weeks to play out, the 2nd highest bidder had already moved on (too bad, he had come to see the car before bidding). BAT was actually pretty good and helpful, but after 3 weeks of games/drama with original BAT "buyer", I just sold it locally. I needed the garage space by then.
    I was happy with BAT and give them credit for permanently bouncing the guy.
    Having sold two cars on BAT I have no complaints, just little detail issues I think they would do better to deal with, that's all. The copywriters don't always know the cars, nor (in my cases) did they include what I felt were important points to highlight in the copy. Not a big deal, as I was able to find ways to get these things out in the comments, so they got said anyway.

    I'm still perplexed as to their selection process, but it is what it is.

    Dan

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (12-01-2018), TerryA (12-02-2018)

  20. #131
    Peanut Gallerist
    Flipper Detective

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    691

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    A listing just came up for a MKIV Supra.
    One of the posters made a spot-on discovery in one of the pics... there's a spray can of something in the passenger seat of the car. The commenter made the call for it being a rattle can of flat black paint. Other posters are dismissing it as glass cleaner.
    If one looks at the undercarriage pics, it is blatantly obvious that the seller has sprayed the ever loving crap out of certain areas to cover over patina/rust.

    I've got my popcorn ready for this one. Seller is brand new to BaT. And there's a lot of passion around this car model. I composed a BaT comment which supports the cover up, but it's likely that it won't see the light of day due to heavy-handed site moderation.

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-toyota-supra-6/


    (And yes, it takes very little to entertain me)


    EDIT: BaT published my comment. Amazing.
    Last edited by ace10; 12-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

    Melville (12-03-2018), msq (12-03-2018)

  22. #132
    Senior Member LWB250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    481

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    I would be interested to know how this one ended up:

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...benz-300sel-6/

    So the seller had a reserve, which is sort of surprising for this car, and it wasn't met. High bidder wants to reach seller, no means of doing so through BAT. Will BAT provide contact information? If so, what's the criteria? How close does the high bid have to be, or is it simply tough beans? If they do give the contact information they won't get their fee, one would presume.

    So now there's a seller who has a potential sale yet they have no way of reaching their potential buyer. Hmm. I've often pondered how one could find a way to establish contact with a commenter, seller or bidder on BAT.... maybe someone could set up a forum for BAT posters where they could identify themselves and make contact. I wonder how BAT would react to that? Poorly, I suspect.

    Dan

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (12-09-2018)

  24. #133
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    @ace10 - the Supra is over $50k with another day to go, despite the rattle-can controversy?

    @LWB250 - fingers crossed that when people get all those phat tax returns in springtime, they'll be looking to blow the windfall on cars again.

    I'm sure BaT feels the same as eBay about buyers & sellers sharing contact information. I don't see how they would ever allow this, unless the buyer was willing to pay BaT the comission at the "bid to" price, if not the actual private-sale price. Or they could coordinate a private sale for the 2 parties, which they'd probably prefer as it would tick off a box in the "we sold another car!" column. Strange they don't already have something in place to handle these situations. Can't a buyer just relist the car on Craigslist and then post in the comments to go see the CL ad?


  25. #134
    E500E Guru TerryA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Age
    76
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    A listing just came up for a MKIV Supra.
    One of the posters made a spot-on discovery in one of the pics... there's a spray can of something in the passenger seat of the car. The commenter made the call for it being a rattle can of flat black paint. Other posters are dismissing it as glass cleaner.
    If one looks at the undercarriage pics, it is blatantly obvious that the seller has sprayed the ever loving crap out of certain areas to cover over patina/rust.

    I've got my popcorn ready for this one. Seller is brand new to BaT. And there's a lot of passion around this car model. I composed a BaT comment which supports the cover up, but it's likely that it won't see the light of day due to heavy-handed site moderation.

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-toyota-supra-6/


    (And yes, it takes very little to entertain me)


    EDIT: BaT published my comment. Amazing.
    Ace,

    After reading the commentary and looking at the pics, IMOP, the guy selling this Supra is pretty anal about anybody even touching the car during service. He may have used a rattle can to sharpen the underside up a little but I don’t think he is covering up anything that would make a buyer refuse to take delivery. My only comment on the touch up paint is that I would expect and hope he prepped it so it doesn’t just flake off.

    IMOP, this car is ultra clean and well taken care of and I expect there will be a flurry of last minute bidding. I would expect it to go for top $$$ whatever that might be for these cars. I usually don’t read the fine print is there a reserve?

    lol
    Terry

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

    ace10 (12-09-2018)

  27. #135
    Peanut Gallerist
    Flipper Detective

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    691

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    Ace,

    After reading the commentary and looking at the pics, IMOP, the guy selling this Supra is pretty anal about anybody even touching the car during service. He may have used a rattle can to sharpen the underside up a little but I don’t think he is covering up anything that would make a buyer refuse to take delivery. My only comment on the touch up paint is that I would expect and hope he prepped it so it doesn’t just flake off.

    IMOP, this car is ultra clean and well taken care of and I expect there will be a flurry of last minute bidding. I would expect it to go for top $$$ whatever that might be for these cars. I usually don’t read the fine print is there a reserve?

    lol
    The seller is doing a great job tugging on the heart strings. And the commenters are slurping it up. He's denied doing any such thing.

    There's no question that there was a liberal application of rattle can.

    I'm mean c'mon....

    .1998_toyota_supra_1542606117a9ab50f714c38b121.jpg

    In my best estimation, there was a spraying some time (or times) in the past, and then it was "touched up" just before the pics were taken.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (12-11-2018)

  29. #136
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    I usually don’t read the fine print is there a reserve?
    Every BaT auction has a reserve, unless it says "No Reserve" at the top of the listing. Here's a sample of what a No Reserve listing looks like:

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...enz-420-sel-8/
    Attached Images Attached Images

  30. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    172

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    I would be interested to know how this one ended up:

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...benz-300sel-6/

    So the seller had a reserve, which is sort of surprising for this car, and it wasn't met. High bidder wants to reach seller, no means of doing so through BAT. Will BAT provide contact information? If so, what's the criteria? How close does the high bid have to be, or is it simply tough beans? If they do give the contact information they won't get their fee, one would presume.

    Dan
    I was under the impression on RNM that BAT will connect high bidder and seller and if they strike a deal BAT gets zero (except original listing fee). If that is accurate I think that is pretty good for sellers & buyers. I do know that if a deal falls through with buyer (buyer/high bidder backs out and reserve was met) BAT will connect you will 2nd high bidder and will not collect auction fee.

  31. #138
    Peanut Gallerist
    Flipper Detective

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    691

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    I would be interested to know how this one ended up:

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...benz-300sel-6/

    So the seller had a reserve, which is sort of surprising for this car, and it wasn't met. High bidder wants to reach seller, no means of doing so through BAT. Will BAT provide contact information? If so, what's the criteria? How close does the high bid have to be, or is it simply tough beans? If they do give the contact information they won't get their fee, one would presume.

    So now there's a seller who has a potential sale yet they have no way of reaching their potential buyer. Hmm. I've often pondered how one could find a way to establish contact with a commenter, seller or bidder on BAT.... maybe someone could set up a forum for BAT posters where they could identify themselves and make contact. I wonder how BAT would react to that? Poorly, I suspect.

    Dan
    BaT states that they provide the high (non winning) bidder and seller the contact info for one another.

    I've heard it doesn't always happen, though.

    Yes, they lose their fee.

    If you're interested in a car, it's best to obtain the sellers info via the "Contact Seller" mechanism prior to the hammer.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (12-09-2018), msq (12-09-2018)

  33. #139
    Senior Member LWB250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    481

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post

    If you're interested in a car, it's best to obtain the sellers info via the "Contact Seller" mechanism prior to the hammer.
    Ahh, good point - hadn't thought of that. Best to be proactive on a car you're interested in and get contact information from the seller before the auction closes, I guess...

    Dan

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (12-09-2018)

  35. #140
    E500E Guru TerryA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Age
    76
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    The seller is doing a great job tugging on the heart strings. And the commenters are slurping it up. He's denied doing any such thing.

    There's no question that there was a liberal application of rattle can.

    I'm mean c'mon....

    .1998_toyota_supra_1542606117a9ab50f714c38b121.jpg

    In my best estimation, there was a spraying some time (or times) in the past, and then it was "touched up" just before the pics were taken.
    I happened on the results yesterday. You probably know already but the Supra Turbo went for $66,388.00 plus whatever fees they tack on. Looks like top $$$ to me but I have no idea. I don’t follow these cars.

    The winning bidder was a Tennessee Toyota Dealer. Says he is going to display it on the showroom floor next to another Silver Supra. I would expect to see it again when the Dealer gets tired of looking at them UNLESS he gets a real buyer w/ lots of $$$.
    Terry

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (12-11-2018)

  37. #141
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    357

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Another buyer (or broker) backs out.

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-2002tii-54/
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

  38. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    104

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    I think in general 2019 will be a bumpy ride and in particular for the collector car market.

  39. #143
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    Another buyer (or broker) backs out.

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-2002tii-54/
    Doesn't BaT take bidder's credit card info and charge them the commission/fee even if the sale doesn't consummate...?

    EDIT: From their FAQ's - why can't they link at the TOP of the page?

    Q: Why is there a charge / hold on my card?
    A: When bidding, we place a hold on your card for 5% of your initial bid amount with a minimum hold of $250 and maximum of $5000. Should you win the auction, that hold will be converted to a charge. If not, the hold will be released immediately at auction end. It can sometimes take a few days for your bank to release the funds.


    This looks a bit shilly to me. Winner is a brand new BaT user and allegedly flakes, after driving the price up ~20% from the 3rd highest bidder ($50k vs $40k). If AugustReilly is a shill, he bumped the sale price nearly $10k, if Nchartouni completes the sale.

    $51,000 = AugustReilly (winner who flaked)
    $50,500 = Nchartouni (2nd highest bidder, who lost the bidding war)
    $41,500 = scottyd40 (3rd highest bidder)
    $34,250 = KevinT (4th highest bidder)


  40. #144
    E500E Guru Ntrepid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Great Falls, Virginia
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Yes. When you place a bid, the charge is secured. It is released when you are outbid. If you are not outbid, the charge is confirmed by BaT.

    I think BaT should have a mechanism where the buyer's bid includes the uplift from the previous high bid. So if the winning bidder drove the price up from $40K to $50K, the buyer would be on the hook for $12.5K ($10K + 5% BaT fee). The seller would get the $10K and could then complete the sale with the 2nd highest bidder for $40K (and no Buyer fee to the runner up).


    Robert

  41. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

    8899 (01-03-2019), a777fan (01-02-2019), gsxr (01-02-2019), Klink (01-02-2019), maw1124 (01-03-2019), msq (01-02-2019)

  42. #145
    Senior Member LWB250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    481

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntrepid View Post
    Yes. When you place a bid, the charge is secured. It is released when you are outbid. If you are not outbid, the charge is confirmed by BaT.

    I think BaT should have a mechanism where the buyer's bid includes the uplift from the previous high bid. So if the winning bidder drove the price up from $40K to $50K, the buyer would be on the hook for $12.5K ($10K + 5% BaT fee). The seller would get the $10K and could then complete the sale with the 2nd highest bidder for $40K (and no Buyer fee to the runner up).


    Robert
    I really like this idea, as it’s not only fair, it directly penalizes someone who is a shill or not a serious bidder.

    Dan

  43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (01-02-2019), Klink (01-02-2019), maw1124 (01-03-2019)

  44. #146
    E500E Guru Melville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    873

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    The downside of that system is that a sale might fall through because the seller misrepresented the car. You could say that’s the buyer’s problem for not doing proper diligence before bidding. But realistically for a one week auction there isn’t much time for diligence. So I think the effect would be a significant chill on bidding. And I’m sure BaT has good enough lawyers to avoid getting into decisions about whether the buyer flakes or the seller misrepresented.

    I think the current system is about as good as you can make it. The 5% commission should ensure that most buyers are serious. But you can’t make rules to eliminate all a$&holes and idiots. Besides, as alluded to above, I bet a lot of non sales are a result of shill bidding. At one point I thought it would be good to give the seller the 5% commission if the buyer backs out. But that would mean no consequence for shill bidding.

  45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melville For This Useful Post:

    daantjie (01-03-2019), gsxr (01-03-2019), TerryA (01-04-2019)

  46. #147
    Senior Member LWB250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    481

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    The downside of that system is that a sale might fall through because the seller misrepresented the car. You could say that’s the buyer’s problem for not doing proper diligence before bidding. But realistically for a one week auction there isn’t much time for diligence. So I think the effect would be a significant chill on bidding. And I’m sure BaT has good enough lawyers to avoid getting into decisions about whether the buyer flakes or the seller misrepresented.

    I think the current system is about as good as you can make it. The 5% commission should ensure that most buyers are serious. But you can’t make rules to eliminate all a$&holes and idiots. Besides, as alluded to above, I bet a lot of non sales are a result of shill bidding. At one point I thought it would be good to give the seller the 5% commission if the buyer backs out. But that would mean no consequence for shill bidding.
    Points well taken. I can see where this could potentially backfire, not to mention scare some bidders off. For that matter, you would think the threat of losing 5% of the bid to be a deterrent as well. Apparently not for some....I know of a failed buyer who forfeited their fee and got banned. I think it was in the area of $600-$700, but I guess that's cheaper than following through on a deal you either don't want or can't afford. As for the banning, that would be easy enough to circumvent I would think.

    Dan

  47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (01-03-2019), TerryA (01-04-2019)

  48. #148
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    357

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Check this one out. CL gets called out for being a hunk of junk, seller gets mad, causes trouble for BaT and gets banned. Wow.

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-benz-cl600-5/

    This listing has been withdrawn by BaT because something during this auction was not fair for the buyer and/or the seller. It might be re-listed in a future BaT Auction if this can be corrected and, if so, we will email all watchers of this listing. We apologize for the inconvenience.

    bringatrailer
    After a back and forth with the seller, it has become clear that he intends to take steps that will cause problems for the eventual winner. As a result, we are forced to withdraw this auction, a step we rarely take. This seller will no longer be allowed to bid, sell, or otherwise participate on BaT. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your support of the site.

    -BaT

    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

  49. #149
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    After a back and forth with the seller, it has become clear that he intends to take steps that will cause problems for the eventual winner. As a result, we are forced to withdraw this auction, a step we rarely take. This seller will no longer be allowed to bid, sell, or otherwise participate on BaT. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your support of the site.
    What the heck does this mean? ^^^

    What "steps" would a seller take to cause problems for the buyer?


  50. #150
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    357

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    What the heck does this mean? ^^^

    What "steps" would a seller take to cause problems for the buyer?
    I think there was probably a chance that car wasn't going to sell for very much. So the seller probably wasn't going to sell it for that even though it was a no reserve auction and probably told BaT that.
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

  51. The Following User Says Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (01-03-2019)

  52. #151
    Senior Member LWB250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    481

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    I think there was probably a chance that car wasn't going to sell for very much. So the seller probably wasn't going to sell it for that even though it was a no reserve auction and probably told BaT that.
    So you read some of the last posts about, "So if I bid $10 and that's high bid at closing it's mine for $10?"



    Dan

  53. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

    Klink (01-04-2019)

  54. #152
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    I think there was probably a chance that car wasn't going to sell for very much. So the seller probably wasn't going to sell it for that even though it was a no reserve auction and probably told BaT that.
    I think you're on to something here. Also, the seller may have asked to cancel the auction, which is against BaT policy... at which point he may have been cranky.


  55. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    Klink (01-04-2019), LWB250 (01-03-2019)

  56. #153
    E500E Guru a777fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    881

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Oof. Didn’t know the m120s successor was so junky. Im sure theres a great klink story to be had there!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  57. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

    Klink (01-04-2019)

  58. #154
    "Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"
    jhodg5ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Oof. Didn’t know the m120s successor was so junky. Im sure theres a great klink story to be had there!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The 275 w/ turbos sure is Fun...the M137 is just....Blah. It also has a nasty propensity for a leaking oil cooler which it just so happens...requires one to remove a cylinder head. We usually choose the passanger side.

    Couple that with Less power then an M120, lack of personality as a whole/early production. No good reason that I can see...!

    jono
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

  59. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (01-04-2019), daantjie (01-04-2019), gsxr (01-04-2019), Klink (01-04-2019), maw1124 (01-04-2019), msq (01-04-2019)

  60. #155
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Oof. Didn’t know the m120s successor was so junky. Im sure theres a great klink story to be had there!
    There is. I hope he posts it here.


  61. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (01-04-2019), Klink (01-04-2019)

  62. #156
    postwhore posterchild Klink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Abstract Plains, USA
    Posts
    4,094

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Oof. Didn’t know the m120s successor was so junky. Im sure theres a great klink story to be had there!
    Hit me with a reminder email or something over the weekend....
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

  63. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (01-04-2019), gsxr (01-04-2019), Harv (01-04-2019)

  64. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    357

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
    The 275 w/ turbos sure is Fun...the M137 is just....Blah. It also has a nasty propensity for a leaking oil cooler which it just so happens...requires one to remove a cylinder head. We usually choose the passanger side.
    Doesn't the oil leak directly on the TCU? I'm sure that is fun.
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

  65. The Following User Says Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (01-17-2019)

  66. #158
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Another BaT auction fails to consummate. Winner is a brand-new user who drove the bidding up substantially. Shill, or just a flake? There's another large gap to 3rd place, similar to the BMW scenario described back in post #143.

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...des-benz-s600/

    Unfortunately the high bidder, @ScottyMushrooms has backed out of the sale due to personal reasons. The site isn’t interested in listing the vehicle again. Anyone interested in taking this gem home?


    $15,362 - ScottyShroom - winning bidder who backed out... hmm.... (link)
    $15,111 - katbeh - 2nd highest bid (42% above next highest bid! - link)
    $10,600 - ST Little - 3rd highest
    $10,315 - Tommy Kitsmiller - 4th
    $10,065 - Ctibulschii - 5th
    $9,500 - itineris - 6th



  67. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    JC220 (01-16-2019), TerryA (01-17-2019)

  68. #159
    E500E Guru Ntrepid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Great Falls, Virginia
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Another BaT auction fails to consummate. Winner is a brand-new user who drove the bidding up substantially. Shill, or just a flake? There's another large gap to 3rd place, similar to the BMW scenario described back in post #143.

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...des-benz-s600/
    Wow. Drove the price up 66% (from $9,257) and then does not consummate.


    Robert

  69. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (01-16-2019), TerryA (01-17-2019)

  70. #160
    Senior Member LWB250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    481

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    I wonder how long BAT will allow that post to stay, since they’re soliciting buyers after the auction?

    Dan

  71. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (01-16-2019), TerryA (01-17-2019)

  72. #161
    postwhore posterchild Klink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Abstract Plains, USA
    Posts
    4,094

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Another BaT auction fails to consummate. Winner is a brand-new user who drove the bidding up substantially. Shill, or just a flake? There's another large gap to 3rd place, similar to the BMW scenario described back in post #143.

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...des-benz-s600/

    Unfortunately the high bidder, @ScottyMushrooms has backed out of the sale due to personal reasons. The site isn’t interested in listing the vehicle again. Anyone interested in taking this gem home?

    $15,362 - ScottyShroom - winning bidder who backed out... hmm.... (link)
    $15,111 - katbeh - 2nd highest bid (42% above next highest bid! - link)
    $10,600 - ST Little - 3rd highest
    $10,315 - Tommy Kitsmiller - 4th
    $10,065 - Ctibulschii - 5th
    $9,500 - itineris - 6th


    Quote Originally Posted by Ntrepid View Post
    Wow. Drove the price up 66% (from $9,257) and then does not consummate.


    Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    I wonder how long BAT will allow that post to stay, since they’re soliciting buyers after the auction?

    Dan
    Same seller just this week "sold" a '97 SL320 for insane money on BAT. Watch that one flake like dandruff, too...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

  73. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

    nocfn (01-16-2019), TerryA (01-17-2019)

  74. #162
    postwhore posterchild Klink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Abstract Plains, USA
    Posts
    4,094

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Another BaT auction fails to consummate. Winner is a brand-new user who drove the bidding up substantially. Shill, or just a flake? There's another large gap to 3rd place, similar to the BMW scenario described back in post #143.

    $15,362 - ScottyShroom - winning bidder who backed out... hmm.... (link)
    $15,111 - katbeh - 2nd highest bid (42% above next highest bid! - link)
    $10,600 - ST Little - 3rd highest
    $10,315 - Tommy Kitsmiller - 4th
    $10,065 - Ctibulschii - 5th
    $9,500 - itineris - 6th
    One of those bidders in the 10k range is legit. He's a friend, and we were discussing/watching this together this as it went on.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

  75. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (01-16-2019), maw1124 (1 Week Ago), sheward (01-16-2019)

  76. #163
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    One of those bidders in the 10k range is legit. He's a friend, and we were discussing/watching this together this as it went on.
    The cluster of bids around $10k all appear to be legit buyers. The 2 which pulled way out in front make you wonder what was going on. And did the winner just get a case of buyer's remorse, or was it something else? Either way, it casts a shadow on BaT as a platform for selling you vehicle. You get ONE shot, seven days total, and pray the winner ponies up. And that's assuming the reserve is met, if applicable.

    Of course, you have the same hassles with eBay, and eBay also will put you in contact with the 2nd highest bidder if the winner flakes.


  77. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    Klink (01-17-2019), TerryA (01-17-2019)

  78. #164
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    104

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Maybe ebay will straight up buy out BAT...

  79. The Following User Says Thank You to daantjie For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (01-17-2019)

  80. #165
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    357

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Did BAT delete all the comments on that S600? I don't see anything about the buyer running.
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

  81. The Following User Says Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (01-17-2019)

  82. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Posts
    155

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    Did BAT delete all the comments on that S600? I don't see anything about the buyer running.
    They must have.

    On the subject of insane BAT listings the Supra from a few weeks ago is for sale again.

    https://jalopnik.com/the-1994-toyota...g-a-1831800363
    1977 MB 240D 4 speed 141K - Weekend Toy
    1991 MB 300TE 5 speed 270k - Long term project
    2014 Honda CR-V 23k - Wife's DD
    2015 Ford F150 EcoBoost 2k - My DD

  83. The Following User Says Thank You to Gatorblue92 For This Useful Post:

    msq (01-16-2019)

  84. #167
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    Did BAT delete all the comments on that S600? I don't see anything about the buyer running.
    Yup, deleted. Glad I did a copy/paste. See the apparently-verboten comment in post #158 above.


  85. #168
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    172

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorblue92 View Post
    They must have.

    On the subject of insane BAT listings the Supra from a few weeks ago is for sale again.

    https://jalopnik.com/the-1994-toyota...g-a-1831800363
    Let's see, do I want this '94 supra that could have been bought a week ago for a $120K and is now just marked up 380K to $500K or do I want a Singer Porsche customized to my exact specs...not sure, that's a really hard decision

  86. #169
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    The dealer bought the Supra as a marketing gimmick. The $0.5M pricetag is the "we don't want to sell it" price. Lots of publicity, probably some foot traffic from people gawking at the Supra, and they are probably figuring out how to write off the $120k as a marketing expense.

    But yes, I'd take the Singer. Or make a down payment on a Chiron... or Zonda...


  87. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    Benz (01-16-2019), msq (01-16-2019), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

  88. #170
    E500E Guru Benz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    794

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Haha def the Singer

  89. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

    msq (01-16-2019)

  90. #171
    Senior Member LWB250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    481

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Another failed auction and a do-over:

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...l_notification

    Dan

  91. #172
    E500E Guru nocfn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kingwood TX
    Posts
    3,931

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    Another failed auction and a do-over:

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...l_notification

    Dan
    Boy Another Turkey

    Dan - is your msging blocked?
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

    1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

  92. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (1 Week Ago)

  93. #173
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    18,342

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    At least in the comments, the leather color is called out correctly!!


  94. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (1 Week Ago)

  95. #174
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    As noted a few posts back in this thread... this is the same car with the suspicious bidding activity. See post #158 above.

    Klink, let your friend know they have another shot at it.


  96. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (1 Week Ago)

  97. #175
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    18,342

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    New comment from the seller explains what happened:

    WAgroup (The Seller) :
    @Kayemtee - The “buyer” bid on the car through his father’s account. He asked his father for a loan after the fact and was denied. When contacted the father said he wasn’t willing to help his son and he wasn’t worried about being banned from BaT. His son was having “personal problems”.

    Bottom line: the former winner “ScottyShrooms” is an idiot. I hope he never shows up on this forum. Our doorknob will be hitting his ass on the way out the ban-door, big-time.

  98. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    600Eric (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

  99. #176
    E500E Guru TerryA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Age
    76
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Just wondering what happened to Ace10? His last post on his own thread was 2 months ago.

    I miss his commentary.
    Terry

  100. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (1 Week Ago)

  101. #177
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    22,093

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    New comment from the seller explains what happened...
    Yeah, that's what the seller claims anyway. No explanation as to why the second-highest bidder also walked. It's obvious why bidder #3 didn't get a shot, as discussed previously.


  102. #178
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    18,342

    Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Well, the seller didn’t get booted off the site and was able to re-list.

    Would be a good question as to why bidder 2 wasn’t offered the car. Though maybe he was, and declined it.

    It does seem like BaT is developing a problem with deadbeat bidders similar to eBay, and we all know how that ended up. The deadbeats got all the power, and the sellers got penalized.

    What’s always blown me away is how willing people are to bid or make a legal commitment to these things, then back out (for whatever reason).

    No sense of integrity, all hat and no cattle. I guess even a growing number of BaT bidders don’t have the proverbial GVZ “two nickels to rub together.”

  103. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    600Eric (1 Week Ago), captruff (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago)

  104. #179
    E500E Guru Jlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Posts
    1,055

    Re: Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post

    What’s always blown me away is how willing people are to bid or make a legal commitment to these things, then back out (for whatever reason).

    No sense of integrity, all hat and no cattle. I guess even a growing number of BaT bidders don’t have the proverbial GVZ “two nickels to rub together.”
    Our entire [American] society is all hat and no cattle these days. Look at the lies that come from: CEOs, politicians, media personalities, instagram-people, television personalities, etc etc ... The epidemic of fake it until you make it.
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

  105. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

    600Eric (1 Week Ago), a777fan (1 Week Ago), captruff (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

  106. #180
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    18,342

    Bring a Trailer (BaT) Auctions: Worth Listing Your Car or Not?

    Lol. Don’t get me started on social media “personalities” and “influencers”.

    What’s most sad and scary is how the youngsters (of my kids’ generation) follow these online Pied Pipers.

    The Kardashians are the worst. “Famous for being famous.” WTF?!?

    My biggest personal issue with the Kardashians is how they’ve effectively stereotyped and ruined the G-wagen.


  107. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    600Eric (1 Week Ago), 8899 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), Jlaa (1 Week Ago), LWB250 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone with experience/ advice listing on Bring a Trailer?
    By jeff0093 in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2018, 11:09 AM
  2. Seeking recommendation for a shop to bring my 509e to in OC, CA
    By Tmnguuyen in forum Pacific/Western US
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2015, 11:04 AM
  3. Ya gotta love this one. 350Z gets smacked by an E55 pulling a trailer.
    By Allgonquin in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 02:19 PM
  4. FS: E60 957 Car Japan Auctions
    By fudgitive in forum Cars for Sale - 500E / E500 ONLY
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-26-2013, 04:19 PM
  5. ORIS trailer hook
    By 500Espot in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 02:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •