Thread: FS: First Gear Start Valve Body, $300 shipped

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

FS: First Gear Start Valve Body, $300 shipped

I have for sale a valve body for the E500/500E. The stamped part number on the valve body is 124 270 40 15, and it came from a 1992 400E. The date of manufacture of the valve body is 10/1991.

This is considered one of the "early" valve bodies of the three used on the 400E/E420. As such, it should be a direct bolt-on for any 500E or E500 with a 722.365 (early) transmission, and no intermediate plate should be required.

The valve body is completely cleaned and drained of all fluid, and has been cleaned and is read for installation.

Condition excellent. The valve body has been stored upright, so that all small plastic pieces are in their correct locations, and none are missing. Cleaning was done ONLY with lint-free polypropylene absorbent towels, as seen in the photos.

Valve body will be shipped in Saran wrap, surrounded by lint-free towels, to keep things complete. Shipping container will be a plastic/Tupperware container inside of a Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box. Shipping + packaging will cost approximately $25-30 and is included in the price.

Price is USD $300 shipped Priority Mail in the US. This is a good deal; most valve bodies for sale here are going for the $300-350 range plus shipping.

If you've been considering upgrading your car to FGS, here's a great valve body to do it with.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: FS: First Gear Start Valve Body, $300 shipped

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    This is considered one of the "early" valve bodies of the three used on the 400E/E420. As such, it should be a direct bolt-on for any 500E or E500, and no intermediate plate should be required.
    Gerry, I don't know what happens when an "early" VB is installed on a late trans (722.370 on E500E). The EPC shows the late VB as backwards compatible with the late intermediate plate, when installed together on an early trans. But the opposite was not something MB ever intended. I've always wondered if it works fine, or if there is a side effect, or what.

Anyway - the "early" VB is best suited for a 500E with early trans, 722.365, which should be most all 1992 USA model year. I'm pretty sure the .365 to .370 switch happened with 1993 USA model year, but since some cars have had the transmission replaced, it's always best to look at the trans number stamped into the housing on the passenger side, right above the pan gasket.

Also - there are early & late intermediate plates; which should match the trans + VB combo.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I edited my FS post above. I was of the understanding that an early valve body would work with a late transmission with no intermediate plate required; whereas a late VB with an early transmission would require an intermediate plate.

Fortunately there are a fair number of "early" 500E owners out there with .365 transmissions, so this should still be just fine.

??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Has anyone compared the differences between the early intermediate plate vs a late intermediate plate?
    Is there still a possibility that early and late figs valve bodies will work on either early or late intermediate plates with no adverse effects?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.