Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: 1994 E320 Sportline/AMG Cabriolet, Signal Red/Red, 75kmi, $65k (Los Angeles, CA)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

FS: 1994 E320 Sportline/AMG Cabriolet, Signal Red/Red, 75kmi, $65k (Los Angeles, CA)

For my 20,000th (!) post, figured I'd share something different. (I really need to get a different hobby, right?) No affiliation, etc:

Some of the text below is questionable IMO, and some is obviously sensational marketing (never offered! unheard of! special! hand built! one-only!). Note the only thing AMG about this car is the body kit, which was factory-ordered and in the datacard. The engine is stock at 3.2L, with 5-speed auto that was offered in Europe, but not in USA. The claim this drivetrain was never offered in any other 124 is incorrect, it was offered outside USA. And while picking nits, the cabrio is an A124. The W124 is the sedan/saloon chassis, S124 is estate/wagon, C124 is coupé. Anyway - here is the listing:

https://mbworld.org/forums/market/705195

VIN = WDB1240661C063388

Datacard: https://www.datamb.com/vin/1eQm3AVPO1oE9GW6N (oddly, shows black velours interior)

1994 Mercedes 320CE Sportline/AMG Cabriolet

This Mercedes-Benz 320CE is a real factory-built Sportline/AMG A124 Cabriolet delivered 18 Nov 1993. It is also the only one specifically ordered to incorporate a rare combination of an S-class 722-5 automatic transmission, coupled with an unheard of 3:69 ratio rear differential, with ASR traction-control. This drive-train was never offered nor ordered for any other W124 chassis save for this one-off, hand-built cabriolet!

Other unique ordered features include a Sportline rally suspension, an AMG aero-affects package, a one-only ordered matching Signal Red Sportline/Recaro leather interior. Also, an S-Klasse infrared-remote locking system with a unique Swiss Anti-theft Deterrent system was added, along with an equally rare, top-of-the-line Becker 'Speciale', AM/FM, Cassette CD audio-receiver with RDS traffic-alert. A discrete digital integration module was added for future convenience.

This stunning Sportline/AMG Cabriolet recently completed a three-plus year remanufacturing, solely under direction of Mercerdes-Benz USA; while in collaboration with Mercedes-Benz Classic Center, Irvine, California USA and Daimler AG, Stuttgart. This beautiful example has remained true to original, with every system and assembly repaired, replaced as-needed in compliance with Mercedes-Benz factory quality assurance. Specifically, with an eye toward acquisition criteria expressed by the curators employed by the Mercedes-Benz Museum, Stuttgart.

This special hand-built, one-of-a-kind cabriolet was imported into the United States in 1997 by the original owner, while she cared for her ailing sister. Purchase price upon delivery was well North of EUR115.000, The car currently records 120415 kph(74,500 original miles). The present owner will consider private offers beginning this May. After which, this rare 'rally' cabriolet will be available by appointment. Located in Southern California, it is convenient to LAX or John Wayne International Airports. Schedule a business or personal visit to Los Angeles and a private viewing can easily be arranged to experience this stunning example of automotive perfection.

Additional sale features include all original accessories, factory-authorized restoration/repair receipts, original build sheet(s), and as well as, all owner sales & operating manuals, wallets(2) and supplements. Also included are all correct and complete tool, first aid and factory emergency kits, plus much more. Sale will include a current transferrable title of remanufactured from Arizona, with accompanying Certificate of compliance from Daimler AG.

Link below has background on the car from 5+ years ago, when it was a Hurricane Sandy victim. It was flooded for sure, and went through insurance auctions, which is why it has a "remanufactured" title. There was some claim it was allegedly salt water flooded; however there is no proof either way. BanzWorld thread with insurance photos, and riveting commentary from the fellow who apparently paid $17k for it from the eBay listing, then found the thread a couple years later during/after it was restored, and wasn't happy about the BW posts:
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...sa-import.html

As noted in post 20 on that thread, the speedo was changed at some point (and then changed back during the restoration), so TMU is a real possibility. Unfortunately there were no photos saved from the eBay auction in 2013. Seems odd that a cost-no-object restoration by the MB Classic Center would miss a two-dollar plastic headlight stiffener in the upper radiator support (missing above the driver side headlight). The MBCC connection seems nebulous to me; I have a feeling it was restored by a dealer, with parts/information sourced from MBCC. I seriously doubt this car was restored by MBCC directly. It would be helpful if the seller would post all the documentation from the restoration, as that would clear up a lot of confusion / questions / skepticism.

$65k asking price has me wondering if someone added up all their receipts.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

8899 (04-25-2018), ace10 (04-24-2018), ccrelan (04-24-2018), Klink (04-24-2018), maw1124 (04-24-2018), sheward (04-24-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: FS: 1994 E320 Sportline/AMG Cabriolet, Signal Red/Red, 75kmi, $65k (Los Angeles, CA)

I remember this car.

Is crack potency paralleling marijuana these days, and getting more pure?

It's the only thing I can think of.

Re: FS: 1994 E320 Sportline/AMG Cabriolet, Signal Red/Red, 75kmi, $65k (Los Angeles, CA)

Due to others here making note, i can now detect the photo enhancing feature used occasionally. I must say though that is a sharp car. I like the body kit on these. Is that really a unique diff ratio?

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by sheward View Post
    Due to others here making note, i can now detect the photo enhancing feature used occasionally. I must say though that is a sharp car. I like the body kit on these. Is that really a unique diff ratio?
    Drew, the 3.69 diff ratio was standard with the 5-speed automatic trans, available in Europe. The entire drivetrain is bone stock for a Euro-spec 124.066, nothing special. The AMG body kit and Sportline package are nice factory options. The custom leather interior is very nice, but not factory.

USA-spec cars only had the 4-speed auto offered, which only came with a 2.65 diff. Europe got a 3.06 ratio with the 4-speed auto. MB was always dissin' us on this side of the pond.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Klink (04-24-2018), maw1124 (04-24-2018), Melville (05-01-2018), sheward (04-24-2018)

There are a few relevant posts in the Cabriolet thread which could be ported over to this thread.

Always willing and able to create more work for others.

2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

"The car currently records 120415 kph"

Man, that thing is FAST!!
    1993 500E Signal Red/Parchment
    1987 300TDT Ivory/Palomino
    1995 E320 Cabrio Black/Parchment
    1969 280SL Silver/Green - 1970 280SL Black/Parchmen
    1987 560SL Signal Red/Palomino

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

ace10 (04-24-2018), chemie400 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (04-24-2018), Klink (04-24-2018)

Cars turned into a "heat check" market probably around the end of 2015. People have been asking all sorts of crazy nonsense prices for all sorts of crazy nonsense cars. Just because the 500E market is through the roof doesn't mean that everything MB made in the 90s is now valuable. This is crack smoking. $30k R129 cars are crack smoking. $30k W124 cabriolet cars are crack smoking. It's all crazy. To me, there's only one 90's MB worth collecting that's not an AMG. It is the 500E.

This one, a saltwater flood rebuild ... keep it. Maybe I'll give you $25k for it, after I've satisfied myself that it was really rebuilt well. And even then, I'll take a BMW E46M for that same format and money, every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's a more fun car to drive, probably more capable, and probably more collectible. And we haven't even mentioned the CLK 63 AMG Cabriolet's that can be had in the low $20k's...as of a year or two ago at least. Maybe they are now $45k cars too. Or maybe not...https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Code1=CLK63AMG

But these days Enthusiast Auto Group will try to charge you $40k for a low mileage E46M. And they're smoking too. See here...http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?f...1D=20&1574_0=1 These were $20k cars when I bought mine, 7 years ago.

My $.02

maw
    Last edited by maw1124; 04-24-2018 at 03:10 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (04-24-2018), gsxr (04-24-2018), Melville (05-01-2018), mercepor (04-24-2018), sheward (04-24-2018)

I see some issues here. The red interior seat pattern does not follow the late model pattern, its more of a mbtex or early leather pattern. Coupled with the fact the data card says black interior, my guess is that the red is not original. A major "tell" is the two tone door panels (ala designo), solid colored interiors were used at this time, not designo themes.
    1993 500E
    http://2phast.com/500e/500e-sig.jpg

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (04-24-2018), maw1124 (04-24-2018), Rouven036 (04-30-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by 2phast View Post
    I see some issues here. The red interior seat pattern does not follow the late model pattern, its more of a mbtex or early leather pattern. Coupled with the fact the data card says black interior, my guess is that the red is not original. A major "tell" is the two tone door panels (ala designo), solid colored interiors were used at this time, not designo themes.
    100% correct, Rik. The interior is definitely not factory. Just don't try to tell the owner that, I don't think he'd be very receptive based on his BW comments a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
    Cars turned into a "heat check" market probably around the end of 2015. People have been asking all sorts of crazy nonsense prices for all sorts of crazy nonsense cars. Just because the 500E market is through the roof doesn't mean that everything MB made in the 90s is now valuable. This is crack smoking. $30k R129 cars are crack smoking. $30k W124 cabriolet cars are crack smoking. It's all crazy. To me, there's only one 90's MB worth collecting that's not an AMG. It is the 500E.

This one, a saltwater flood rebuild ... keep it. Maybe I'll give you $25k for it, after I've satisfied myself that it was really rebuilt well. And even then, I'll take a BMW E46M for that same format and money, every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's a more fun car to drive, probably more capable, and probably more collectible. And we haven't even mentioned the CLK 63 AMG Cabriolet's that can be had in the low $20k's...as of a year or two ago at least. Maybe they are now $45k cars too. Or maybe not...https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Code1=CLK63AMG

But these days Enthusiast Auto Group will try to charge you $40k for a low mileage E46M. And they're smoking too. See here...http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?f...1D=20&1574_0=1 These were $20k cars when I bought mine, 7 years ago.

My $.02

maw
    There are a lot more 90’s benzes that are worth collecting not just 500E. 036 will always be a nice car with special history but its still sedan no matter what. 124 cabs are unique and so are cozzys and 6.0 r129’s
    1993 500E
    1994 E320 cabriolet

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dario For This Useful Post:

sheward (04-30-2018)

This seller is a real jackass. He posted a confidential email from Tom @ MBCC on MBWorld for all to see when it literally says in the email ''lets keep this exchange confidential.''
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

ace10 (04-30-2018), gsxr (04-30-2018), sheward (04-30-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

It's on eBay now as well, with additional creative marketing.

UPDATE: The VIN posted in eBay ( WDBEA66E5RC102820 ) is from a different, USA-spec Cabrio that is white over gray. eBay doesn't recognize Euro VIN's, so the seller apparently found a VIN from another car and used that - and, never listed the actual VIN for the red car. Bad, bad, bad idea.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153002754997

1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sportline/AMG
    1994 Mercedes 320CE Sportline/AMG Cabriolet
    Original Legacy Patron and Stunning!

This 1994 Mercedes-Benz 320CE is a real factory-built Sportline/AMG A124 Cabriolet delivered Zurich Switzerland, November, 1993. It is the only one specifically ordered through Daimler AG with a rare combination of an S-class 722-5 automatic transmission; combined with a post-production modification through, then still independent AMG, Affalterbach, with an unprecedented 3:69 gear ratio ASR differential. This combination was never ordered for any other W124 chassis save for this one-off, hand-built cabriolet!

Other unique specially ordered features include the only one ordered matching Signal Red Recaro/Sportline leather interior, Sportline rally suspension, and AMG 2nd Generation aero-affects. Also ordered was an S-Class-only infrared-remote lock system with an unique Swiss Anti-theft Deterrent system, along with Mercedes's best available, top-of-the-line Becker 'Speciale', AM/FM, Cassette CD audio-receiver with RDS traffic-alert. A discrete digital integration module has been added for future convenience.

This stunning Sportline/AMG Cabriolet recently completed a three-plus year remanufacturing, solely under direction of Mercerdes-Benz USA; in collaboration with Mercedes-Benz Classic Center, Irvine, California USA and Daimler AG, Stuttgart Germany. This rare and stunning example has remained original, with every system and assembly repaired, replaced as-needed toward compliance with Mercedes-Benz factory certification of compliance. Specifically toward acquisition criteria expressed by curators with the Mercedes-Benz Museum, Stuttgart.

This specially commissioned, hand-built, one-of-a-kind cabriolet was imported into the United States in 1997 by the original owner, while she cared for her ailing sister. DOT allowed the vehicle into the U.S. unfederalized under the condition the owner took her car with her when she returned to Europe. The purchase price upon delivery was well North of 115,000. Euros. The car currently records 120415 kph (74,500 original miles). The present owner will consider offers beginning May 1st. After which, this rare 'rally' cabriolet will be available by appointment. Located conveniently near LAX or John Wayne International Airports, a scheduled business or personal visit to Los Angeles can easily accommodate a private viewing to experience this stunning example for your collection.

Additional sale features include all original accessories, factory-authorized restoration/repair receipts, original build sheet(s), and as well as, sales and operating manuals, wallets(2) and all supplements. Also included are all correct and complete tool, fuse, bulb, first aid and emergency kits, plus more. Sale includes Certificate of compliance from Daimler AG with an accompanying current title of remanufactured from Arizona.

NOTE: This unique automobile is offered exactly as delivered to Mme. Irene Dreyfus, at her villa, 18th of November, 1993 by her agent, Daimler-Schweiz AG, Zurich.

This one-of-a-kind cabriolet was conceived early August, 1993, within a period as the 300CE to E320 W124 platform was in transition. It includes a rare combination of early/late manufacturing features. With the inclusion of the newly developed S-Class 722-5 five speed automatic transmission, and highest 3:69 gear-ratio ASR differential available by Mercedes, this cabriolet obviously required no C36 package. The original owner desired only what was needed to transverse the Alps between Switzerland, Austria and the Riviera. Not the German autobahns. Of course, the cost savings did not go unrewarded and Daimler realized the owner desires that her new Mercedes be anything but "Ferrari Red" as she demanded!

Hence, the late three month delivery, which by fate forced this car to be one of the final five cars to leave AMG Affalterbach, where the car awaited the matching signal-red Sportline/Recaro leather interior to be fitted.

Vehicle is located in Los Angeles. World-wide shipping can be easily arranged.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    This seller is a real jackass. He posted a confidential email from Tom @ MBCC on MBWorld for all to see when it literally says in the email ''lets keep this exchange confidential.''
    Attached for posterity. Interesting that MBCC essentially does not confirm any of the claims made by the seller.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

ace10 (04-30-2018), maw1124 (05-03-2018)

"might have been"
    "nobody will know"
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-30-2018)

The car has turned up on the Atlanta craigslist as well.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Canepa should snap it up and re-list at $99,999.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (04-30-2018), jhodg5ck (05-02-2018), Klink (05-03-2018)

No mention of the car's underwater adventure in the listing.

#Shocked

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-30-2018), jhodg5ck (05-02-2018)

I think he should put it on BAT.

And let the fun begin....

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

ace10 (04-30-2018), gsxr (04-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Attached for posterity. Interesting that MBCC essentially does not confirm any of the claims made by the seller.

Even more interesting that someone redacted the author's name but failed to redact their email address?

Dan

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

ace10 (04-30-2018), gerryvz (05-01-2018), gsxr (04-30-2018), KeepIt500 (05-07-2018)

If I was going to have a 124 with a "rally suspension", this would have been my car of choice. I can see it now on the Dakar...following in the footsteps of the 450SLC 5.0. Just imagine the fabulous view of the dunes with the top down.
    David Hendy
    '97 Renntech E60RS - 6 liter M119
    '92 500E 199/275
    '92 400E
    '85 190E 16V

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to david hendy For This Useful Post:

600Eric (05-01-2018), gsxr (05-01-2018), maw1124 (05-03-2018), sheward (05-01-2018)

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-01-2018), Harv (05-01-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    That was a good summary. I agree with them, it's a neat car, but I just don't understand why someone would invest so much into a restoration if they didn't intend to keep it and enjoy it for a long, long time.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (05-01-2018), maw1124 (05-03-2018)

Seller makes Baghdad Bob look humble.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

ace10 (05-01-2018)

Commentor on GCFSB ran the Carfax. Car has been everywhere.
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-01-2018), maw1124 (05-03-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Commentor on GCFSB ran the Carfax. Car has been everywhere.
    Thanks for the tip... also pointed out the VIN in the eBay listing is from a different car, and the seller neglected to put the real VIN on eBay.

Funnily enough, they also shelled out for the AutoCheck report, which pulls up the data from the white US-spec mystery VIN, that shows over 150kmi.

Aye caramba.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (05-03-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Oh, and the seller has a bunch of used cabrio parts listed on eBay as well:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/lylbeck

https://www.ebay.com/sch/lylbeck/m.html

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Car is a total train wreck.

Unfortunately there's a sucker born every minute.

The seller ought to be slapped silly for misrepresentation, braggery and falsification.

The original owner desired only what was needed to transverse the Alps between Switzerland, Austria and the Riviera.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

Oh, and the seller has a bunch of used cabrio parts listed on eBay as well:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/lylbeck

https://www.ebay.com/sch/lylbeck/m.html
    The one photo in the dealer catalog listing:

'00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    The original owner desired only what was needed to transverse the Alps between Switzerland, Austria and the Riviera.

Very exotic and romantic yarn

The seller is having a very public melt down on GCFSB.

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/199...2/#more-135933

It's #TotallyAwesome

RICHARD BALL
    MAY 3, 2018 AT 1:19 PM

Okay, let me clear up some misleading statements and outright assumptions made in this market blitz article.

First, yes it was a flood car from the 2012 storm on Long Island. But to be a journalist one should expect diligence of research before writing any published article. Unlike this writer, I did do the research before arranging restoration on this car.

The owner at the time of the damage was located and contacted. She discussed the car freely with me. She was heartbroken about losing her car, but her Insurance carrier explained to her, that due to the age of the vehicle at that time and despite the damage was minimal, in their estimation the car was not worth more than to repair it, than. In fact, they gave her only $7000. for the loss.

Before the storm, the car was moved from her waterfront home inland by her service mechanic. The fear at the time was about the expected tidal surges would inundate the coastal strip with sea water. Fortunately for this car, so many cars were moved inland that her car was one of the last to be moved. When finally moved, it was parked just outside the lot used, ending up on a wooded knoll nearby. What surprised everyone was not the tidal surge, but the torrential rains that followed. Actually, what was fortunate for this car was because it was late to be moved it wasn’t flooded as deeply as all the hundreds of other cars in the parking lot. It did get water, but only fresh water, and only up to the driver’s side door sill. When retrieved a day later, water was discovered in both of left floor pans and moisture had creeped through the carpet to soak the front passenger side carpet. The major insurance carriers were contending with tens of thousands of cars, so nearly 70% of the affected cars were ever even superficially inspected by adjusters. I obtained photographic evidence taken by the auction company at the time revealling exactly where the waterline had reached on the car. After due research, it was a consensus of opinion that the car was indeed retrievable and easily repairable if enough money was willing to be spent to save it. After contacting the Classic Center in Irvine California and Daimler in Germany, I soon realized the car was exceptional enough to save it. If it had been a simple base cabriolet, I would have never bothered. In fact, for one part alone; what I have come to believe is the achilles heel for all the A124s, I had to buy another A124 simply as a doner car.

My only suggestion to this fool that disparage this vehicle is to due research. I suggest he question the importance of any sort of title with any surviving 280SE 3.5 cabriolets. Or for that matter any W111 convertible from 1961 thru 1970. As Jay Leno said about the salvage title on his Duesenberg; “If an old car’s past scares you, then you shouldn’t be buying one.”

I have complete and thorough documentation from and by Mercedes-Benz USA LLC, the Classic Center in Irvine, California, as well as Daimler AG relating to this unique car’s complete history and remanufacture. It has achieved a rarely granted Certificate of Compliance from Daimler AG itself and all receipts for work performed and NOS parts purchased are directly from and by Mercedes-Benz.

And on a final contention, let me assure all that what the restoration of this vehicle has taught me is that what I spent to save this car and what I am asking for it will pale in comparison five years from now. This is not my first waltz with rare vehicles. For example I picked upo a 70 Dodge Charger Hemi RT/SE with a lost salvage title in 1986 for $12K. The car had a 10 pound bag of sugar dumped in its tank! I ended up letting it sit until 2013 when I decided to sell for $65K. I offered it first to all the local Mopar enthusiasts; the so-called experts, who came out and tried to dissuade me of the rarity by saying in their expert opinions that the car wasn’t that rare nor valuable, offering 20 cents on the dollar of my asking price.

Eventually, after politely refusing the low-ball ignorant insults, a gentleman from Finland visited, looked the car over and immediately paid the full price in cash. Within a matter of days the car was flatbed to Long Beach, stuffed into a container and shipped around the world to Finland. Last year after spending an additional $45k to restore it, he sold it for $245K! Unknown to all the so-called experts, only nine such 1970 RT/SE Hemi Chargers were ever built. They were built only for showroom display at cost for Dodge’s highest volume dealers in the US. Five of the nine were automatics and the rest 4-Speed sticks. Whatever configuration each dealer wanted for his specific he could have, but only as long as it was a top-of-the-line Hemi RT/SE.

The Charger is but one example of cars I have found, restored and sold. I don’t flip cars, I don’t screw people and I care less about nickel and dime bullshit about what condition a car is in when I find it. Hell, if its too much to bare for the market at the time, then, likemy Hemi Charger or my 71 280SE 3.5 Cab, I’ll just let it sit. Every year I can write it off as devalued inventory on my taxes all the while its purcalating wirh appreciation!

What I have gained, though, through experience from all the decades of being in this ‘pursuit’ or hobby, is the ability to easily spot the passionate from the profit in people that associate with it.

As far as any statements or documentation made in my listing that are vague or omitted, please have the commonsense for whatever reasons anyone may have, contact me directly and I will be happy to assist you in realizing your goal to find the truth about any car I set out to sell. Whether on is here for gain or simply for the pursuit of their passion, I have not hidden agenda than to pass along what would have been lost for the future.

Rick Ball
    MAY 3, 2018 AT 2:34 PM
    Check with Classic Center or the MB Museum and they will kindly educate the writer that AMG supplied Kepler-Recaro seats with post-production modifications orders

Rick Ball
    MAY 3, 2018 AT 2:39 PM
    Can’t but laugh with the so-called experts here. Obviously if any response is too complex or beyond simple three short sentence paragraphs or bullet points it is failed to be grasped

Rick Ball
    MAY 3, 2018 AT 2:41 PM
    But as I said “If an old car’s past scares you, then you shouldn’t be buying one” kind of says it all.

RICHARD BALL
    MAY 3, 2018 AT 2:42 PM
    But as I said “If an old car’s past scares you, then you shouldn’t be buying one” kind of says it all.

RICHARD BALL
    MAY 3, 2018 AT 2:53 PM
    What receipts? The VIN is WDB1240661C063388 and is in the ad description. eBay does not allow a foreign VIN to be input. God! What a pain in the ass dealing with millennials who can no longer can have common sense but merely emotionally react as adolescent peasants. All the millions in tuition wasted on empty degrees going nowhere. If Trump only accepted the reality and simply picked up Nero’s fiddle

RICHARD BALL
    MAY 3, 2018 AT 3:00 PM
    Good Lord! Like stumbling into a lesbian bar around 1 am on a Tuesday morning!

Hahahah. What a guy.
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I think the seller is listing it a few years early. Based on the Charger experience, it probably would be better to wait 5-10 years for the cabrios to appreciate further, then re-list. Right now, it's ahead of the market... IMO anyway.

Posting some (preferably all) of the documentation from the restoration, MBCC connection, and "rarely granted Certificate of Compliance" would go a long way to help the sale.

BTW - Honch, was that your unhinged trollin' on GCFSB?

What’s that PT Barnum saying? Oh... right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    . . . there's a sucker born every minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    What’s that PT Barnum saying? Oh... right...
    Something along the lines of the above?!?

BTW - Honch, was that your unhinged trollin' on GCFSB?
    Nope. But if a comment by someone named "Honch" appears in the 'peanut gallery', it could be related to me.....

55. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

a777fan (05-03-2018)

Something along the lines of the above?!?
    Would it be rude to just re-name this thread?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

That’s up to gsxr......

58. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

a777fan (05-03-2018)

We’ll keep this thread confidential. I’m sure you know what I mean...

What a moron. Just break every rule in the book that you didn’t know existed because the car gods wouldn’t show it to you because you don’t know how to read grown man talk anyway while you try to hock your flood resto rebuild whatever it is for a bunch of money no one would ever dare pay because you broke every rule in the book that you didn’t know existed.

There. I said it.

Sorry,

maw

60. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

a777fan (05-03-2018), gsxr (05-04-2018), LWB250 (05-04-2018), nocfn (05-03-2018)

Maw.

PS: Yes, i know I’m making up my own emojiis.

Not to derail this love fest around the highly questionable provenance, authenticity, manufacture, and significance of this car. There is a photo in the eBay gallery which I found interesting -- the warning sign attachment in the trunk. The holders for the feet actually look nicer than the cutouts we have in our trunk liners. Is that a part which came in later models or a part specific to cabrios?

Robert

94e320Trunk.jpg
    Last edited by Ntrepid; 05-04-2018 at 06:03 AM.

63. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-04-2018), maw1124 (05-04-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Robert,

I believe that it is an item that is specific to the "Euro" spec trunks, which are different than the standard W124 trunk lids. The standard 124 lids have the slots for the feet in the metal, and they only need be exposed through rectangular cutouts of the lining in the correct places.

The 124 cabrio lid is different because of the dimensions of the retractable top mechanism, and thus you have the different mounting points for the "Euro" models (the US models don't have the cutouts/shelves for the triangle feet).

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Gerry

65. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (05-04-2018), Ntrepid (05-04-2018)

Thanks Gerry! We now return our viewers to their regularly scheduled programming...parental guidance is suggested.

67. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

8899 (05-04-2018), maw1124 (05-04-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Hopefully the seller will grace us with his presence here to continue the discussion.

If he does, I don't think he knows of the strength of the 500Eboard peanut gallery punditry...

69. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

600Eric (05-05-2018), a777fan (05-04-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: Maui (582)

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    nuttin to get red-assed about...
    The only person I know who is red-assed right now is the seller of that red "Euro" 124 cabrio....

71. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

nocfn (05-04-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

eBay listing was pulled. But it's been posted in other places:

Wrong VIN here too:
    http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/mer...cabriolet.html

Listed overseas:
    https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...55697-216-3531

Incomplete VIN on Atlanta CL:
    https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...575050770.html

Couple pics of the documents attached from the CL ad. Why these were left out of some listings, I don't understand. Note the receipts and work were from MB South Bay, not MBCC.

Note that the receipt on the right is marked 'Paid' but the paper on the left is not (and could just be a quote). On the left page, I noticed the date of order is December 2015 but the parts availability indicates January 2016. I've gotten estimates and invoices for parts from Mercedes in the past -- the invoices always show 'Paid' when I have bought the part(s).

Robert

74. The Following User Says Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-04-2018)

He bought an ad here: https://barnfinds.com/bf-exclusive-1...amg-cabriolet/

Someone already called it on the flood history.
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

76. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

ace10 (05-04-2018), gsxr (05-04-2018), maw1124 (05-04-2018)

BTW, the domain floodfinds.com is still available!

Robert

78. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

ace10 (05-04-2018), gerryvz (05-04-2018), maw1124 (05-04-2018)

Also interesting... the offer to buy for the museum from the ‘conformity’ letter? Huh?!?

This thing is all over the place.

Going full ‘judgy-mc-judgerson’ here... but you would think that the museum offer would be where you’d go first:

This rare and stunning example has remained original, with every system and assembly repaired, replaced as-needed toward compliance with Mercedes-Benz factory certification of compliance. Specifically toward acquisition criteria expressed by curators with the Mercedes-Benz Museum, Stuttgart.
    On the other hand, I could see not wanting to resign a car to a hermetically sealed bag for the rest of its life.

:shrug:

He bought an ad here: https://barnfinds.com/bf-exclusive-1...amg-cabriolet/

Someone already called it on the flood history.

That's probably Carter from GCFSB.

81. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-04-2018)

The only person I know who is red-assed right now is the seller of that red "Euro" 124 cabrio....
    I would rather that car not be mentioned in my owner's thread, but since you are the honcho I'll let it pass.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yoink gladly accepted. post moved to proper thread.

Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Also interesting... the offer to buy for the museum from the ‘conformity’ letter? Huh?!?

Going full ‘judgy-mc-judgerson’ here... but you would think that the museum offer would be where you’d go first:

On the other hand, I could see not wanting to resign a car to a hermetically sealed bag for the rest of its life.
    Pretty sure this is pure BS. The Mercedes Benz Museum already has many W124's in its collection, including some actual rare W124's. The cream of the bunch for cab's would have to be the E36 they have.
    1993 500E
    http://2phast.com/500e/500e-sig.jpg

85. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

a777fan (05-05-2018), gsxr (05-05-2018), maw1124 (05-06-2018), nocfn (05-05-2018), skikrazey (05-05-2018)

LOL:

https://mercedesheritage.com/classified/show-ad?id=553

Need Early History or Pre-History of Lang Designo or Custom Orders Pri...

I recently acquired a 1994 E320 Cabriolet originally delivered to a wealthy owner in Switzerland. The car was ordered and delivered with a matching signal red leather Recaro / Sportline (?) Interior (see photos)

I would like to hear about the early history of Daimler-Benz Lang Designo premium custom paint and interior package designs.
    All I know so far is that the group offered just about everything a S-Class 1995 customer demanded. But I've seen samples of the S and E-Classes in Europe earlier, with immaculate Mercedes-quality interiors in almost every style, color, fabric or leather imaginable.

Does anyone know the story of Lang Designo? Was it an independent studio similar to AMG? Or was it a name that was adopted by an existing Daimler division? I've heard that Mercedes has had a long history of in-house catering for its regular customers or anyone else who has enough money. Here's one that I know precedes the 1995 S-Class by almost a year and a half. Mercedes is in the process of "rebuilding" the car and they can only offer that perhaps Designo was responsible because the quality is excellent. One of the executives who occasionally worked on the car mentioned the Recaro seats from the era. But beyond that nobody in the Classic Center has any idea.

Any memories, references or sources that may lead to me being able to find out more about Mercedes Premium paint and interior offerings before 1996? I am not interested in 1997, unless the info offers a perspective on the early 90s.

Thanks for the help of all.

Contact Information
    Contact Rick Ball
    Phone: 4242100084
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

Wow.

Just...

Wow.

maw

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Fella is working every angle on this car to help prove/embellish his already embellished story, not to mention hawk the thing.

The harder he hawks it, the more suspicious those in the know are going to be.

a.k.a. "CoalRollerEric" 600Eric's Avatar

This is getting better by the day. This seller makes that Audemars guy look like a minor leaguer in the B.S. department.

90. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 600Eric For This Useful Post:

ace10 (2 Weeks Ago), captruff (05-07-2018), gerryvz (05-07-2018), Klink (05-08-2018), Ntrepid (05-07-2018)

It gets better!

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/199...et-2/#comments

Mercedes-Benz Classic Center, Irvine, CAMAY 8, 2018 AT 7:43 PM (EDIT)

For whatever it’s worth, our Classic Center had no involvement with this vehicle beyond the provision of a factory build sheet some time ago. We did NOT restore the car, nor did we oversee the car’s restoration, nor have we ever sold the owner any parts for it.

We appreciate the tactic of throwing good name into the marketing effort, but only when it’s deserved (and true!).
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

92. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

600Eric (05-08-2018), ace10 (05-08-2018), captruff (05-08-2018), gerryvz (05-08-2018), gsxr (05-08-2018), Klink (05-08-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

o_O

Could be a 500Eboard “Mother of All Jelmerian Awards” in the works here ... or the Mother of All Yoinks for an uninformed, unsuspecting buyer.

a.k.a. "CoalRollerEric" 600Eric's Avatar

Man oh man... That seller better crawl under a rock for a while.