Thread: Fuel Pressure Calculation Help

Fuel Pressure Calculation Help

Hi all,

When I carried out the 500TE conversion, I used the original "Wagon" fuel pump mounted at the tank which takes the fuel over the rear axle to the standard fuel pump. The Wagon had one pump at the tank and one in the normal place under the rear floor area.

I couldnt use the single wagon pump, cant recall why now, so I transplanted the 500E dual pumps. In effect I had 3 pumps now.
    I thought it would be fine as the system has a pressure regulator up front anyway?!

Well the first time I turned the key, the front fuel lines exploded. In reality I had forgotten about the fuel pump setup that I h ad installed weeks/months before. The fuel pipes were very brittle under the braiding so just put it down to age.
    Pipes NLA from MB so had them rebuilt locally.

This weekend I was under the car and noticed the short rubber hose from fuel filter to metal fuel line was showing some cracking.

I tried to measure fuel pressure with my cheap fuel pressure guage. It shot off the scale at over 10 bar.

So decided to put it back to how the 320 wagon was set up. So in effect I bypassed one of the pumps on the dual setup and disconnected its electrical connections.

Tried again and the fuel pressure is still off the guage. Hmm? Scratchy head?

I cant see what could be wrong. Each fuel pump is supposed to have a working pressure of 4 bar and a flow rate of around 100-120L per min.

I am tempted to just leave it now but worried that I may have more exploding fuel pipes and I have a longish drive next week.

What do you guys think? It seems its less than straight forward to calculate what pressure I should be seeing from two standard Mercedes fuel pumps plumbed in line.

.036 Hooniganô
    E500E Boffin

Re: Fuel Pressure Calculation Help

I'd either use the old-style dual pumps, or the new-style single pump, but not a combination. Really not sure what is going on here, but how old is the FPR on the fuel rail? Makes me wonder if it's stuck closed?

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Is the return line blocked? I can’t see how else you are getting 10+ bar of fuel pressure

4. The Following User Says Thank You to S70/2 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-29-2018)

I am measuring it under the car, just after the fuel pumps. So return etc doesnt come into it?

This is a great how to on measuring the fuel pressure. See the link also in post 1 about testing the function of the FPR.

There is the possibility of a defective FPR or a blocked return line. But in reality the dual pumps or single later pump alone should be more than capable on their own. I'm not sure that they are supposed to be fitted with an additional fuel pump in line like that. Gravity feed only to the back of the pump - at least in the saloon that's how it is.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5455
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-29-2018)

The return through the regulator will get into the overall pressure you see in the line. If the return line is blocked or the regulator is broken your pumps will be essentially pressurizing a closed volume. Youíd still need to have some pretty massive pumps on there to get to 10+ bar though! IIRC, most fuel injection systems have 3-4 bar regulators. Not sure specifically about the 500.

This video isnít the most polished, but it gets the regulator principles across pretty well.

https://youtu.be/OBRyl2Ib-1s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jaymanek View Post
    I am measuring it under the car, just after the fuel pumps. So return etc doesnt come into it?
    I see, well deadheading the pumps is not really going to tell you system pressure. I recommend hooking up a gauge on the fuel rail and running the pump(s) with the car off to see what your operating pressure is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to S70/2 For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (04-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by S70/2 View Post
    I see, well deadheading the pumps is not really going to tell you system pressure. I recommend hooking up a gauge on the fuel rail and running the pump(s) with the car off to see what your operating pressure is.
    Thatís what Iím doing wrong I guess.. Iíll measure at the rail and report back...

The dual pumps from a saloon are set up exactly the same in effect. The outlet from first pump goes into the inlet of second pump which then feeds into the filter.

The reason the pumps are separated on a wagon is due to the tank being low down and the fuel needing to be pumped up and over the rear axle..

Thanks all...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jaymanek For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-29-2018)