Thread: FS: 1996 Mercedes C36, 41Kmi, Black/Black (Great Falls, VA)

FS: 1996 Mercedes C36, 41Kmi, Black/Black (Great Falls, VA)

I mentioned in this thread (#56) discussing the BaT auction for the 1993 500E in Denver that I would be testing the waters with a C36.

For anyone interested in this car, please PM me. I'm offering this first to anyone on the 500EBoard to see if a new home can be found for it rather to the listing going on BaT. This gives a member a chance first (as well as save themselves the BaT 5% buyers fee) of buying this example.

VIN: WDBHM36E3TF331604

The brief history of the car is that I won the auction on BaT (link). The car was local to me which made it more attractive as I did not have to add transport fees. My reason for selling is by chance I found, inspected (thanks Jlaa!), and purchased a 1995 C36 in Imperial Red (link) soon after which I am now going through the process of restoring.

Things which have been done on this car:

• OEM Ignition coils installed
    • OEM Bilstein shocks (specific to the C36 and carry AMG part numbers) were sourced and installed
    • Sagging headliner was replaced by new OEM headliner
    • Moonroof sliding shade was reupholstered (given original was also sagging and replacement was unavailable from MB) to match both the color (black) and texture (velour) of the material at the edges of the headliner
    • OEM gas cap was sourced
    • I replaced the 4 original exterior B pillar covers with OEM black ones (as the condition of the originals distracted from the condition of the car as a faux carbon fiber design is wearing thin). It also makes the car a bit more subtle like the our 500E/E500 cars (as you have to know what to look for in order to discern it from the other models). The originals B pillar covers are included with the car.
    • Radio card was ordered from Becker Autosound
    • AMG pedals for Emergency Brake, Brake, and Accelerator have been installed (black rubber originals are included with the car)
    • Windshield reservoir has been filled with MB summer fluid mix

Condition:

• Interior. The car is mint - no cracks, rips, tears, or scratches. There is nothing which is needed to be done. The center console storage lid does stick (a known problem in all W202s after use). Fix is a replacement plastic piece which has been ordered. The center console cup holder wood could use a refinishing at Madera.
    • Exterior. Immediately I discovered why in the BaT auction there were no close up shots of the car from the exterior. The reason is that the black (040) finish showed a lot of swirls from improper care when cleaning. The entire car has had professional paint correction from Odds & Ends in Sterling, VA. There are some chips in the paint on the hood (all paint/panels are original). Additionally, there were tiny dents which required and received PDR.

Things which still need to be addressed:

• The driver (left) side rocker panel needs to be repainted/replaced. The seller noted this in the previous BaT sale and it is from someone putting it on a lift improperly which damaged the paint.
    • The valve cover shows signs of the blistering which is common with this magnesium alloy part on all W202s. After so many heat cycles, the paint loses its adhesion to the alloy which may not have received the proper outgassing and prep prior to painting. Dave @ Renewed Finishes can fix this.
    • Car came with 2 keys (1 wireless, 1 valet). The wireless one worked initially and then stopped working (which I suspect is a loose connection from when I replaced the battery)

The car has an updated upper wiring harness (which for this model is specific to the year and costs ~$2K) so no issues others of that era were known to deteriorate and cause CEL illumination.

The CD changer in this car is factory. Not many of these got this option, but this one has it and it works. The interesting thing is that its placement at the center of the trunk prevents the panel which hides the spare to be held open. This was a design oversight by MB.

Also included in the sale is:

• 17” spare tire insert with a tool carrier from a W140. The 16” is included as well but I always liked the fact that Mercedes had a kit which included MB tools and white gloves for handling the tires.
    • MB air compressor

For those of you not as familiar with the C36, it is the first car manufactured by Mercedes post the 1994 purchase of a controlling interest of AMG.

• By Year
      • 1995: 401
      • 1996: 296
      • 1997: 199

• Total production: 896 which equated to 58.6% (so more rare) of the 500E/E500 manufacturing for the U.S. market in a similar production duration of 3 years.

1996BlackC36.jpg1996BlackC36-2.jpg1996BlackC36-3.jpg

I'm happy to share more pictures to show exterior, interior, trunk, and engine bay in greater detail. Whoever gets this car will not be disappointed.

Robert

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

8899 (3 Weeks Ago), a777fan (3 Weeks Ago), ace10 (3 Weeks Ago), ccrelan (3 Weeks Ago), gerryvz (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), Hakie (3 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (6 Days Ago), maw1124 (3 Weeks Ago), Melville (3 Weeks Ago), Stevester 500E (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

Re: FS: 1996 Mercedes C36, 41Kmi, Black/Black (Great Falls, VA)

I miss my 1995 C36...Be careful when thinning the herd.

Your 96' C36 is a nice example.
    Last edited by Stevester 500E; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:42 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevester 500E For This Useful Post:

Ntrepid (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

Woowww. What a gem.

It's such a shame. I've seen so many C36s just trashed over the years because they were cheap. Glad to see them being saved.
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

What are the selling prices for the C36 and the 16-valver?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

C36 is a lot of car for the dough if you can find one not completely used up. Very underrated and fun to drive cars.
    1995 E36 wagon

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccrelan For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (3 Weeks Ago), Ntrepid (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

Nice car, Robert! AMG were so stealthy back then. Well, they either were or they weren't. PSA attached.

GLWS,

maw
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    What are the selling prices for the C36 and the 16-valver?
    So on the 16V, I’d like to get $30K for the car with the 5-speed Getrag manual transmission included. However, going to a good home to a member of the 500EBoard means more to me than just selling it as I know it will be taken care of so I would go $28.5K for both.

As for the C36, I’d like to get at least what I have into it which includes: BaT purchase price, new headliner, reupholstering the moonroof shade, correct C36 shocks (NLA), and proper PC/PDR. I’m happy to share my reserve price via PM given it is going on BaT if not purchased prior.

Happy to field questions on either of them.

Robert
    Last edited by Ntrepid; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:13 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (6 Days Ago), Melville (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Why not put your Valver on BaT as well? Seems a good market for it right now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

I spoke to them about it but they want to use the clapped out valuation of $18K. As I have discussed before, BaT wants every car they post to sell so they compress reserves to guarantee that outcome. They also have language which says they can make the shortfall up in an auction to make the car sell. For that price, I’d rather just hold on to it and have it continue to rise in value.

Robert

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

This morning (during the "golden hour") I took approximately 130 photographs (all between 5-9MB each) of the car from all angles and have now uploaded them to BaT. I just received notice that BaT has accepted the submission and they will begin assembling the listing. I have requested a Monday auction start based on LWB250's recommendation (thanks Dan!). I'm now preparing commentary to go along with the auction to keep watchers engaged.

Fingers crossed.

Robert

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

8899 (3 Weeks Ago), ccrelan (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago)

Ok. We're getting close to the start of the auction. I just approved BaT's auction listing with their verbiage, my edits, and my pictures. I'm now waiting to hear when the auction will start. I have assembled some commentary to add to the discussion as the auction goes on.

I'll post the link to the listing as soon as it is live.

Here is a cold start and walkaround video I put together yesterday. Note it is ~3m long as I had to let the engine warm up before doing any mild revving.

Robert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30G15T4huw8
    Last edited by Ntrepid; 1 Week Ago at 12:41 PM. Reason: Inserted YouTube video link

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

8899 (1 Week Ago), a777fan (1 Week Ago), ace10 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), Jlaa (1 Day Ago), Klink (1 Day Ago), sheward (6 Days Ago)

When's this auction going live? Can't wait to rev up the peanut gallery.

lol. Best of luck with the sale!
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (6 Days Ago)

I approved the auction listing verbiage yesterday and requested that the auction *not* go live on Friday (today) as I did not want to get hit with less eyeballs for when the auction ends in a week with the Memorial Day weekend travel. BaT has been frustratingly slow as they committed last week to have the auction listing ready for preview early this week or before (which I translate to Monday or earlier) and they delivered on Thursday afternoon @ 1P.

If it goes live on Monday, it will be an 8 day auction and end on the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

Thanks and I appreciate the offer to get the peanut gallery all riled up!

Robert

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

8899 (6 Days Ago), a777fan (5 Days Ago), ace10 (6 Days Ago), gerryvz (5 Days Ago), gsxr (6 Days Ago), Klink (1 Day Ago), Melville (3 Days Ago), TerryA (3 Days Ago)

I wish you the best of luck w/ the sale! I’ve owned my ‘95 C36 for over 7 yrs. These cars are so underrated in terms of the value, it makes no sense. Yours is low mileage and very clean!! I really hope you get top dollar for it. I’m definitely keeping an eye on the auction.

Also, I would recommend you stress in the auction it utilizes the robust 4 spd trans and not the questionable 5spd which followed in the final yr of production.

GL,

-Rob
    Last edited by RPB81; 3 Days Ago at 06:12 PM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RPB81 For This Useful Post:

Klink (1 Day Ago), Ntrepid (3 Days Ago), TerryA (3 Days Ago)

The auction is (finally) live.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...enz-c36-amg-4/

Robert

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

8899 (2 Days Ago), a777fan (2 Days Ago), ace10 (2 Days Ago), gsxr (2 Days Ago), TerryA (2 Days Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

FS: 1996 Mercedes C36, 41Kmi, Black/Black (Great Falls, VA)

Let the Peanut Gallery(TM) begin !!!

PeaNutters!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Ntrepid (2 Days Ago), TerryA (2 Days Ago)

Well done. I will be on the lookout for the w140 piece that you have in the spare tire.
    1995 E36 wagon

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ccrelan For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Days Ago)

Cory -

Thank you. i’ve got a 17” insert for you. I can probably source a W140 piece.

Robert

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

ccrelan (1 Day Ago)

Well just a little over 24 hours in to the auction and the price sits at $8500. The commentary on this model and the example I am selling has been very positive (save one guy who treats CarFax as an authority on ownership — thanks GSXR and CCrelan for the assist on this).

I’m hopeful the auction continues to stay active as I plan to add commentary daily. Feel free to ask me questions on the listing.

Robert
    Last edited by Ntrepid; 1 Day Ago at 03:12 PM.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

gsxr (8 Hours Ago), Jlaa (1 Day Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Looks like the discussion is pretty sane so far, with none of the typical ignorant BaT neckbeards making stupid comments.

Would love to see the bidding go higher. Much higher.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Ntrepid (1 Day Ago)

The emblem's you mentioned in your BaT comments are original and were present on models from 92-96. 1997 saw the emblem design change to the individual characters. Not uncommon to see vehicles in this age range with the new style AMG logo, even on my 1995 C36, I replaced the AMG emblem with the 97+ design.
    1993 500E
    http://2phast.com/500e/500e-sig.jpg

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

Ntrepid (12 Hours Ago), TerryA (12 Hours Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrepid View Post
    The auction is (finally) live.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...enz-c36-amg-4/

Robert
    Car presents well, Robert. Good luck,

maw

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

Ntrepid (12 Hours Ago), TerryA (12 Hours Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by 2phast View Post
    The emblem's you mentioned in your BaT comments are original and were present on models from 92-96. 1997 saw the emblem design change to the individual characters. Not uncommon to see vehicles in this age range with the new style AMG logo, even on my 1995 C36, I replaced the AMG emblem with the 97+ design.
    Thanks Rik! Good to know. Great thing I used the phrase “the only model that I know of” since I learned something new today. This part has been superseded in the EPC as I ordered the original part number for my red C36 and got the updated version instead!

Robert
    Last edited by Ntrepid; 20 Hours Ago at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrepid View Post
    Thanks Rik! Good to know. Great thing I used the phrase “the only model that I know of” since I learned something new today. This part has been superseded in the EPC as I ordered the original part number for my red C36 and got the updated version instead!

Robert
    That is quite common for many parts. These "superseded" parts do make it hard if someone desires to restore their vehicle to exactly how it came from the factory. I am sure you could find some NOS on EBay, they pop up from time to time.
    1993 500E
    http://2phast.com/500e/500e-sig.jpg

47. The Following User Says Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (12 Hours Ago)