Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

Here is another addition to the must have list. I‘ve been meaning to get these for years now. They are strong hooks for installing exhaust rubber hangers and other jobs. Makes what is usually a faf a 2x second job to install the hangers.

20180526_213606.jpg
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

daantjie (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (05-26-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    For low cost, general purpose use, this LED light from Harbor Freight is fantastic. It has a strong magnetic base, rotates, pivots and has three brightness levels. It comes with a standard 18650 Li-ion battery...I recommend buying a higher quality/capacity battery and charger so it's always ready to use. [Admin edit: Regular price $30, can be found on sale with coupon for $20.]

https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lu...ght-63958.html
    Hazard Fraught is running a sale on this light through next weekend, $20 with coupon. Link below, image attached. I picked up one of these recently and have been pretty happy with it. The thin light bar will slip into narrow areas around the powertrain and rear subframe, and the magnet is strong enough to stick to the wheel housing when working on brakes or suspension items. My only gripe is the USB-only charge port, if you don't want to plug it into your computer, you need to get a separate wall-wart USB charger. I haven't used it enough to comment on battery life, but Glen's suggestion about a battery upgrade sounds like a good idea. I haven't looked into sources for battery replacement.

Qpon link (expires July 8):
    http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...b_coupon1.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Anyone try the underhood light bar, or have a recommendation for one like this?

Regular price $40:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/845-Lu...ght-63990.html

On sale through 7/8 for $30:
    http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...e=braun_1.html

Attached Images Attached Images

I went with LED shop lights back when it was strongly encouraged. I have 3 of them and its like daylight in the shop. 2 over the engine bays and one over the bench. TBH, I use my IPhone flashlight often, its better than many lights I have tried. Alas, GSXR doesn't use mobile tech
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), JC220 (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

This is the very best light bar I have ever seen, and I use it extensively now along with my Snap-On unit:

$499 regular price, on sale for $424:

https://www.bigassfans.com/lights/big-ass-light-bar/

Try THIS with your Harbor Fright Light......

My pending Annapolis garage shop will be wholly outfitted with these lights ... and fans....

https://www.bigassfans.com/lights/the-garage-light/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Big-Ass-...0900/205745341

I already outfitted my new home with the Haiku residential fans. Best money can buy.

https://www.bigassfans.com/fans/comm.../ceiling-fans/

IMG_9092.JPG

You Houston guys are in luck! Big Ass Solutions is based in Lexington Kentucky, but their single and only US showroom is in Houston, 1224 N. Post Oak Rd., Houston, 77055. I recommend you visit the showroom ... you'll be blown away and I guarantee you'll buy their product!! They have light bars available for sale there too.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

captruff (2 Weeks Ago), JC220 (2 Weeks Ago), mwaldron (2 Weeks Ago), nocfn (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    you'll be blown away
    So punny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    You Houston guys are in luck! Big Ass Solutions is based in Lexington Kentucky, but their single and only US showroom is in Houston, 1224 N. Post Oak Rd., Houston, 77055. I recommend you visit the showroom ... you'll be blown away and I guarantee you'll buy their product!! They have light bars available for sale there too.

So right, Honch! We installed 5 of those fans when we re-did the Alabama crib a couple years ago. I love them and I'd get them again, but they sure ain't for ballin' on a budget.

I'm sure the lights are absolutely the bomb, too...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (2 Weeks Ago), samiam44 (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Hazard Fraught is running a sale on this light through next weekend, $20 with coupon. Link below, image attached. I picked up one of these recently and have been pretty happy with it. The thin light bar will slip into narrow areas around the powertrain and rear subframe, and the magnet is strong enough to stick to the wheel housing when working on brakes or suspension items. My only gripe is the USB-only charge port, if you don't want to plug it into your computer, you need to get a separate wall-wart USB charger. I haven't used it enough to comment on battery life, but Glen's suggestion about a battery upgrade sounds like a good idea. I haven't looked into sources for battery replacement.

Qpon link (expires July 8):
    http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...b_coupon1.html
    What I found is that the built-in USB charger doesn't charge the battery fully. Plus, if the battery dies while you are using it, you're stuck unless you have another battery ready to go. I have some tactical flashlights that use the same batteries, so having an external charger and extra batteries makes sense for me.

I haven't tried the HF underhood light but it looks promising, maybe. My garage has a pair of 6 tube T5 fixtures so lighting isn't a problem...installed years ago before LED fixtures were generally available.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Glen For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

E500E Guru

I've long been a fan of those under the hood lights. For decades, I've used one in my emergency kit which uses 12v from the car battery. I've got a tactical flash light.. but maybe HF product line seems to be diversifying to having 2 grades of product. The cheapest and a "pro-line". Batteries, I though they just got the ones which test the least milliamps off the line..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

It's funny... my experience with Big Ass and their various brands has been miserable. At best.

And I've promised them on multiple occasions that I would spread my story at every opportunity I was afforded.

So here it goes....

We have a Haiku fan in our MBR. We did a big remodel two years ago. Splurged on the fan to replace a Casablanca which had been spinning nonstop for 15 years. The Haiku goes into fault mode. Randomly. And every time it does, I have to go online to find out the asinine sequence remote control buttons presses to snap it out of its malaise.

Oh, and when it goes into fault mode.... it beeps. And beeps. And beeps. Until you reset it. Seems to always happen overnight.

Then there's the absurdly expensive Haiku ceiling lights we put into our MBR walk in closet. Bought three of the fancy ones. They go beserk all the time. Lose communication with the Haiku hub and one another. Sometimes they blink. Sometimes they don't turn themselves off. Sometimes they refuse to turn on with motion. Sometimes they randomly change settings on their own. Such as light intensity or temperature.
    This is an every week occurrence.
    If you call for support. You will sit on hold for ages. It wasn't unusual (when I still have a damn) to wait for an hour, only for them to tell me to simply reset the power. Or some other reset procedure. Anything but acknowledge that their products were total and complete crap. They do not stand behind their products on any imaginable level.

And please don't try to use the Android version of the control app. It will blow you away with the level of suck. In fact, they once told me that they didn't care about Android, and that I should switch my phone.

Final word on the matter... along with wasting $K's on the aforementioned crap, we also bought one of their lower priced fans for a guest room. When I opened the box, I pretty much laughed out loud. It was garbage. The thinnest, droopy plastic blades. It had that horrible Made in China smell. I sent it back without even fully deboxing. I think the fan was ~$500... to me it was junkier than a no-name $79 fan from the Orange box.

Sorry to be the contrarian. But my experience with Big Ass/Haiku has been total misery.

I will share an awesome garage lighting story tonight. Low cost. Simple. Mega-lumens.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Hakie (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    So right, Honch! We installed 5 of those fans when we re-did the Alabama crib a couple years ago. I love them and I'd get them again, but they sure ain't for ballin' on a budget.

I'm sure the lights are absolutely the bomb, too...
    I was visiting the Pacific Aviation Museum restoration workshops at Pearl Harbor during my vacation back in February, and they had them there, too !!

BaF even did an article on the museum's use of their fans: https://www.bigassfans.com/case-stud...iation-museum/

Here's a photo I happened to take.
    IMG_8470.JPG

As well as at the Honolulu Beer Works microbrewery, owned by a friend of Laura's !
    IMG_8482.JPG IMG_8481.JPG

IMG_8484.JPG IMG_8486.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    It's funny... my experience with Big Ass and their various brands has been miserable. At best.

And I've promised them on multiple occasions that I would spread my story at every opportunity I was afforded.

So here it goes....

We have a Haiku fan in our MBR. We did a big remodel two years ago. Splurged on the fan to replace a Casablanca which had been spinning nonstop for 15 years. The Haiku goes into fault mode. Randomly. And every time it does, I have to go online to find out the asinine sequence remote control buttons presses to snap it out of its malaise.

Oh, and when it goes into fault mode.... it beeps. And beeps. And beeps. Until you reset it. Seems to always happen overnight.

Then there's the absurdly expensive Haiku ceiling lights we put into our MBR walk in closet. Bought three of the fancy ones. They go beserk all the time. Lose communication with the Haiku hub and one another. Sometimes they blink. Sometimes they don't turn themselves off. Sometimes they refuse to turn on with motion. Sometimes they randomly change settings on their own. Such as light intensity or temperature.
    If you call for support. You will sit on hold for ages. It wasn't unusual (when I still have a damn) to wait for an hour, only for them to tell me to simply reset the power. Or some other reset procedure. Anything but acknowledge that their products were total and complete crap. They do not stand behind their products on any imaginable level.

And please don't try to use the Android version of the control app. It will blow you away with the level of suck. In fact, they once told me that they didn't care about Android, and that I should switch my phone.

Final word on the matter... along with wasting $K's on the aforementioned crap, we also bought one of their lower priced fans for a guest room. When I opened the box, I pretty much laughed out loud. It was garbage. The thinnest, droopy plastic blades. It had that horrible Made in China smell. I sent it back without even fully deboxing. I think the fan was ~$500... to me it was junkier than a no-name $79 fan from the Orange box.

Sorry to be the contrarian. But my experience with Big Ass/Haiku has been total misery.
    I'm quite surprised they didn't just send you a new fan. They have proactively called us several times to check on things and to make sure everything is running great. Our Haiku fan in the den has been running non-stop for the past seven months, no issues. I occasionally use the iPhone app to control it (fans come with a remote control too).

Can't argue with their reasoning about Android - I've had one Samsung Galaxy phone a few years back, and it was my last one. Ever.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (2 Weeks Ago)

I love the small LED "magnetic slim bar LED work light". For the sale price it is a great deal. I bought 2 additional "name" batteries instead of the no-name that comes with it and I have not had issues charging it. Because of my good experience with this, I bought the underhood light. Unfortunately, it only rates a "meh" from me. It's OK, but it does not blow me away with how bright it is or how long it lasts. It is better than nothing, and with a 20% coupon it's reasonably priced. I used it recently for the timing belt change on the 2JZ in my old IS300 daily.
    Allgonquin

Objects in closer are mirror than they appear

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Allgonquin For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Low cost, High quality LED lighting.

Yes, the units are made in China. Yes, I absolutely try to avoid buying China. But there simply isn't anything approaching a cost-effective domestic solution.

20180628_213422_zpslqewgshr.JPG

4000K, which I prefer for general/utility space. Not too blue, not too yellow.
    There's about 300,000 lumens in this garage. Fully dimmable via 0-10v combo dimmer units from Legrande Adorne.
    The picture shows the lights at ~50%. I had to use two zones due to load limits on the 15A 110v runs.

Lights are mounted on short 1/2" threaded conduit, rather than the chain mounts which are standard. Ceilings are 12' and then 17' in the high bay.

Sourced from this site.
    https://www.ledlightingwholesaleinc....Bays-s/150.htm

If you call and speak to a Sales Rep they will very likely offer even better pricing.
    Thirteen fixtures were right around $1400 shipped, including the optional drop mount brackets.

I didn't know what to expect with lighting this "cheap." I expected DOA units, inconsistent color, and/or poor dimming.
    The entire order was perfect. I plan to grab some spares and also retrofit my other garage to these same product line, albeit the smaller units.

The ceiling fan is from Minka Air. It's a 72" model.
    https://www.minkagroup.net/f887-72-bn.html

I think it was about $600. Installing it was not something I'd want to do again due to the working height. It if definitely not a commercial-grade unit.

Over the past couple years, I've been a complete lighting junkie/geek. I'm all in on LED. One of the best moves I've done is modifying the fluoro lighting in my machine shed to LED tubes. Instant on. And they work in the cold.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago)

So here it goes....

I will share an awesome garage lighting story tonight. Low cost. Simple. Mega-lumens.
    Wow, sorry to hear about that. Some of my happiness with them may involve my very intentionally NOT getting them with any kind of "automatic" or "app controlled" or "networked" or "wireless" stuff. Any such thing only causes me to visualize the absolute certainty
    of endless trouble that not even the people that design the stuff could ever hope to figure out. There is just FAR too much that can and will go wrong. Just seeing what random phone/app/car incompatibilities can do is enough to make me avoid all that even if it costs more to NOT have it...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

ace10 (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago)

Low cost, High quality LED lighting.

Yes, the units are made in China. Yes, I absolutely try to avoid buying China. But there simply isn't anything approaching a cost-effective domestic solution.

20180628_213422_zpslqewgshr.JPG

4000K, which I prefer for general/utility space. Not too blue, not too yellow.
    There's about 300,000 lumens in this garage. Fully dimmable via 0-10v combo dimmer units from Legrande Adorne.
    The picture shows the lights at ~50%. I had to use two zones due to load limits on the 15A 110v runs.

Lights are mounted on short 1/2" threaded conduit, rather than the chain mounts which are standard. Ceilings are 12' and then 17' in the high bay.

Sourced from this site.
    https://www.ledlightingwholesaleinc....Bays-s/150.htm

If you call and speak to a Sales Rep they will very likely offer even better pricing.
    Thirteen fixtures were right around $1400 shipped, including the optional drop mount brackets.

I didn't know what to expect with lighting this "cheap." I expected DOA units, inconsistent color, and/or poor dimming.
    The entire order was perfect. I plan to grab some spares and also retrofit my other garage to these same product line, albeit the smaller units.

The ceiling fan is from Minka Air. It's a 72" model.
    https://www.minkagroup.net/f887-72-bn.html

I think it was about $600. Installing it was not something I'd want to do again due to the working height. It if definitely not a commercial-grade unit.

Over the past couple years, I've been a complete lighting junkie/geek. I'm all in on LED. One of the best moves I've done is modifying the fluoro lighting in my machine shed to LED tubes. Instant on. And they work in the cold.
    Looks great! Thanks!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

ace10 (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear about that. Some of my happiness with them may involve my very intentionally NOT getting them with any kind of "automatic" or "app controlled" or "networked" or "wireless" stuff. Any such thing only causes me to visualize the absolute certainty
    of endless trouble that not even the people that design the stuff could ever hope to figure out. There is just FAR too much that can and will go wrong. Just seeing what random phone/app/car incompatibilities can do is enough to make me avoid all that even if it costs more to NOT have it...
    ^THIS^

We're having tech problems with the Legrand Adorne smart switches and gateway, as well. Though not nearly to the extent of the Big Ass stuff. The rest of the Adorne products (the "dumb" stuff) have been perfect.

My general opinion is that these "smart" systems simply aren't ready for mass consumption. Yet. They probably work great in the lab and possibly in new construction, but I'm totally unimpressed with it all on the whole.

I mentioned the Adorne combo dimmers (line and low voltage) used in my garage lighting. It's an absolutely perfect solution. Mechanical slide for the dimmer. One gang slot to handle both voltages. Couldn't ask for more.
    https://www.legrand.us/adorne/produc...4fbl3p2w4.aspx
    Priced under $100 isn't even that bad.
    Last edited by ace10; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:34 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

Klink (2 Weeks Ago)

500E Terminus Illuminatus DerFuror's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Anyone try the underhood light bar, or have a recommendation for one like this?
    I have the Braun's predecessor, the Luminar WORK. I've had it a couple years & overall, I like it.

light_bar_01.jpeg

The ends are magnetized and have recessed hooks. The ends also unscrew to add a few more inches of breadth. It nicely fits & attaches underneath the 500E hood.

light_bar_02.jpeg

It has two lighting intensity settings. At times I wish it had a bit more intensity. But the fun in the garage playing rock star singer on the microphone, or light sabre warrior with it more than compensate. Plus, I wouldn't feel a major financial loss if I actually bashed someone with it...it wields nicely.

light_bar_03.jpeg

I bought mine using coupon & discount. I would suggest the same if purchasing.

" Destination ???, It's the ride that takes you there! "
    1993 500E W124.036 040/271
    1965 220b W111.010 Heckflosse

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DerFuror For This Useful Post:

ace10 (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), JC220 (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Today’s addition to the GVZ garage.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

JC220 (2 Weeks Ago), Trae (2 Weeks Ago)