Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 61 to 117 of 117

Thread: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

  1. #61
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Here is another addition to the must have list. I‘ve been meaning to get these for years now. They are strong hooks for installing exhaust rubber hangers and other jobs. Makes what is usually a faf a 2x second job to install the hangers.

    20180526_213606.jpg
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

    1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

    daantjie (06-28-2018), gsxr (05-26-2018)

  3. #62
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,333

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    For low cost, general purpose use, this LED light from Harbor Freight is fantastic. It has a strong magnetic base, rotates, pivots and has three brightness levels. It comes with a standard 18650 Li-ion battery...I recommend buying a higher quality/capacity battery and charger so it's always ready to use. [Admin edit: Regular price $30, can be found on sale with coupon for $20.]

    https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lu...ght-63958.html
    Hazard Fraught is running a sale on this light through next weekend, $20 with coupon. Link below, image attached. I picked up one of these recently and have been pretty happy with it. The thin light bar will slip into narrow areas around the powertrain and rear subframe, and the magnet is strong enough to stick to the wheel housing when working on brakes or suspension items. My only gripe is the USB-only charge port, if you don't want to plug it into your computer, you need to get a separate wall-wart USB charger. I haven't used it enough to comment on battery life, but Glen's suggestion about a battery upgrade sounds like a good idea. I haven't looked into sources for battery replacement.

    Qpon link (expires July 8):
    http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...b_coupon1.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #63
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,333

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Anyone try the underhood light bar, or have a recommendation for one like this?

    Regular price $40:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/845-Lu...ght-63990.html

    On sale through 7/8 for $30:
    http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...e=braun_1.html

    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #64
    E500E Guru nocfn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kingwood TX
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    I went with LED shop lights back when it was strongly encouraged. I have 3 of them and its like daylight in the shop. 2 over the engine bays and one over the bench. TBH, I use my IPhone flashlight often, its better than many lights I have tried. Alas, GSXR doesn't use mobile tech
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

    1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (06-28-2018), JC220 (06-28-2018)

  7. #65
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    17,678

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    This is the very best light bar I have ever seen, and I use it extensively now along with my Snap-On unit:

    $499 regular price, on sale for $424:

    https://www.bigassfans.com/lights/big-ass-light-bar/




    Try THIS with your Harbor Fright Light......




    My pending Annapolis garage shop will be wholly outfitted with these lights ... and fans....

    https://www.bigassfans.com/lights/the-garage-light/

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Big-Ass-...0900/205745341

    I already outfitted my new home with the Haiku residential fans. Best money can buy.

    https://www.bigassfans.com/fans/comm.../ceiling-fans/

    IMG_9092.JPG


    You Houston guys are in luck! Big Ass Solutions is based in Lexington Kentucky, but their single and only US showroom is in Houston, 1224 N. Post Oak Rd., Houston, 77055. I recommend you visit the showroom ... you'll be blown away and I guarantee you'll buy their product!! They have light bars available for sale there too.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    captruff (06-28-2018), JC220 (06-28-2018), mwaldron (06-28-2018), nocfn (06-28-2018)

  9. #66
    E500E Guru a777fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    740

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    you'll be blown away
    So punny!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (06-28-2018)

  11. #67
    postwhore posterchild Klink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Abstract Plains, USA
    Posts
    4,042

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    You Houston guys are in luck! Big Ass Solutions is based in Lexington Kentucky, but their single and only US showroom is in Houston, 1224 N. Post Oak Rd., Houston, 77055. I recommend you visit the showroom ... you'll be blown away and I guarantee you'll buy their product!! They have light bars available for sale there too.

    So right, Honch! We installed 5 of those fans when we re-did the Alabama crib a couple years ago. I love them and I'd get them again, but they sure ain't for ballin' on a budget.

    I'm sure the lights are absolutely the bomb, too...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

    gerryvz (06-28-2018), samiam44 (06-28-2018)

  13. #68
    Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...
    Glen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA USA
    Posts
    2,751

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Hazard Fraught is running a sale on this light through next weekend, $20 with coupon. Link below, image attached. I picked up one of these recently and have been pretty happy with it. The thin light bar will slip into narrow areas around the powertrain and rear subframe, and the magnet is strong enough to stick to the wheel housing when working on brakes or suspension items. My only gripe is the USB-only charge port, if you don't want to plug it into your computer, you need to get a separate wall-wart USB charger. I haven't used it enough to comment on battery life, but Glen's suggestion about a battery upgrade sounds like a good idea. I haven't looked into sources for battery replacement.

    Qpon link (expires July 8):
    http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...b_coupon1.html
    What I found is that the built-in USB charger doesn't charge the battery fully. Plus, if the battery dies while you are using it, you're stuck unless you have another battery ready to go. I have some tactical flashlights that use the same batteries, so having an external charger and extra batteries makes sense for me.

    I haven't tried the HF underhood light but it looks promising, maybe. My garage has a pair of 6 tube T5 fixtures so lighting isn't a problem...installed years ago before LED fixtures were generally available.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Glen For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (06-28-2018)

  15. #69
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    2,663

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    I've long been a fan of those under the hood lights. For decades, I've used one in my emergency kit which uses 12v from the car battery. I've got a tactical flash light.. but maybe HF product line seems to be diversifying to having 2 grades of product. The cheapest and a "pro-line". Batteries, I though they just got the ones which test the least milliamps off the line..

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (06-28-2018)

  17. #70
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    519

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    It's funny... my experience with Big Ass and their various brands has been miserable. At best.

    And I've promised them on multiple occasions that I would spread my story at every opportunity I was afforded.

    So here it goes....

    We have a Haiku fan in our MBR. We did a big remodel two years ago. Splurged on the fan to replace a Casablanca which had been spinning nonstop for 15 years. The Haiku goes into fault mode. Randomly. And every time it does, I have to go online to find out the asinine sequence remote control buttons presses to snap it out of its malaise.

    Oh, and when it goes into fault mode.... it beeps. And beeps. And beeps. Until you reset it. Seems to always happen overnight.

    Then there's the absurdly expensive Haiku ceiling lights we put into our MBR walk in closet. Bought three of the fancy ones. They go beserk all the time. Lose communication with the Haiku hub and one another. Sometimes they blink. Sometimes they don't turn themselves off. Sometimes they refuse to turn on with motion. Sometimes they randomly change settings on their own. Such as light intensity or temperature.
    This is an every week occurrence.
    If you call for support. You will sit on hold for ages. It wasn't unusual (when I still have a damn) to wait for an hour, only for them to tell me to simply reset the power. Or some other reset procedure. Anything but acknowledge that their products were total and complete crap. They do not stand behind their products on any imaginable level.

    And please don't try to use the Android version of the control app. It will blow you away with the level of suck. In fact, they once told me that they didn't care about Android, and that I should switch my phone.

    Final word on the matter... along with wasting $K's on the aforementioned crap, we also bought one of their lower priced fans for a guest room. When I opened the box, I pretty much laughed out loud. It was garbage. The thinnest, droopy plastic blades. It had that horrible Made in China smell. I sent it back without even fully deboxing. I think the fan was ~$500... to me it was junkier than a no-name $79 fan from the Orange box.

    Sorry to be the contrarian. But my experience with Big Ass/Haiku has been total misery.

    I will share an awesome garage lighting story tonight. Low cost. Simple. Mega-lumens.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (06-28-2018), Hakie (06-29-2018)

  19. #71
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    17,678

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    So right, Honch! We installed 5 of those fans when we re-did the Alabama crib a couple years ago. I love them and I'd get them again, but they sure ain't for ballin' on a budget.

    I'm sure the lights are absolutely the bomb, too...
    I was visiting the Pacific Aviation Museum restoration workshops at Pearl Harbor during my vacation back in February, and they had them there, too !!

    BaF even did an article on the museum's use of their fans: https://www.bigassfans.com/case-stud...iation-museum/

    Here's a photo I happened to take.
    IMG_8470.JPG


    As well as at the Honolulu Beer Works microbrewery, owned by a friend of Laura's !
    IMG_8482.JPG IMG_8481.JPG

    IMG_8484.JPG IMG_8486.JPG



    Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    It's funny... my experience with Big Ass and their various brands has been miserable. At best.

    And I've promised them on multiple occasions that I would spread my story at every opportunity I was afforded.

    So here it goes....

    We have a Haiku fan in our MBR. We did a big remodel two years ago. Splurged on the fan to replace a Casablanca which had been spinning nonstop for 15 years. The Haiku goes into fault mode. Randomly. And every time it does, I have to go online to find out the asinine sequence remote control buttons presses to snap it out of its malaise.

    Oh, and when it goes into fault mode.... it beeps. And beeps. And beeps. Until you reset it. Seems to always happen overnight.

    Then there's the absurdly expensive Haiku ceiling lights we put into our MBR walk in closet. Bought three of the fancy ones. They go beserk all the time. Lose communication with the Haiku hub and one another. Sometimes they blink. Sometimes they don't turn themselves off. Sometimes they refuse to turn on with motion. Sometimes they randomly change settings on their own. Such as light intensity or temperature.
    This is an every week occurrence.
    If you call for support. You will sit on hold for ages. It wasn't unusual (when I still have a damn) to wait for an hour, only for them to tell me to simply reset the power. Or some other reset procedure. Anything but acknowledge that their products were total and complete crap. They do not stand behind their products on any imaginable level.

    And please don't try to use the Android version of the control app. It will blow you away with the level of suck. In fact, they once told me that they didn't care about Android, and that I should switch my phone.

    Final word on the matter... along with wasting $K's on the aforementioned crap, we also bought one of their lower priced fans for a guest room. When I opened the box, I pretty much laughed out loud. It was garbage. The thinnest, droopy plastic blades. It had that horrible Made in China smell. I sent it back without even fully deboxing. I think the fan was ~$500... to me it was junkier than a no-name $79 fan from the Orange box.

    Sorry to be the contrarian. But my experience with Big Ass/Haiku has been total misery.
    I'm quite surprised they didn't just send you a new fan. They have proactively called us several times to check on things and to make sure everything is running great. Our Haiku fan in the den has been running non-stop for the past seven months, no issues. I occasionally use the iPhone app to control it (fans come with a remote control too).

    Can't argue with their reasoning about Android - I've had one Samsung Galaxy phone a few years back, and it was my last one. Ever.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    Klink (07-02-2018)

  21. #72
    Senior Member Allgonquin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    356

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    I love the small LED "magnetic slim bar LED work light". For the sale price it is a great deal. I bought 2 additional "name" batteries instead of the no-name that comes with it and I have not had issues charging it. Because of my good experience with this, I bought the underhood light. Unfortunately, it only rates a "meh" from me. It's OK, but it does not blow me away with how bright it is or how long it lasts. It is better than nothing, and with a 20% coupon it's reasonably priced. I used it recently for the timing belt change on the 2JZ in my old IS300 daily.
    Allgonquin

    Objects in closer are mirror than they appear

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Allgonquin For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (06-28-2018)

  23. #73
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    519

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Low cost, High quality LED lighting.

    Yes, the units are made in China. Yes, I absolutely try to avoid buying China. But there simply isn't anything approaching a cost-effective domestic solution.

    20180628_213422_zpslqewgshr.JPG

    4000K, which I prefer for general/utility space. Not too blue, not too yellow.
    There's about 300,000 lumens in this garage. Fully dimmable via 0-10v combo dimmer units from Legrande Adorne.
    The picture shows the lights at ~50%. I had to use two zones due to load limits on the 15A 110v runs.

    Lights are mounted on short 3/4" threaded conduit, rather than the chain mounts which are standard. Ceilings are 12' and then 17' in the high bay.

    Sourced from this site.
    https://www.ledlightingwholesaleinc....Bays-s/150.htm

    If you call and speak to a Sales Rep they will very likely offer even better pricing.
    Thirteen fixtures were right around $1400 shipped, including the optional drop mount brackets.

    I didn't know what to expect with lighting this "cheap." I expected DOA units, inconsistent color, and/or poor dimming.
    The entire order was perfect. I plan to grab some spares and also retrofit my other garage to these same product line, albeit the smaller units.


    The ceiling fan is from Minka Air. It's a 72" model.
    https://www.minkagroup.net/f887-72-bn.html

    I think it was about $600. Installing it was not something I'd want to do again due to the working height. It is definitely not a commercial-grade unit.

    Over the past couple years, I've become a complete lighting junkie/geek. I'm all in on LED. One of the best moves I've done is modifying the fluoro lighting in my machine shed to LED tubes. Instant on. And they work in the cold.
    Last edited by ace10; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:54 PM.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (06-28-2018), gsxr (06-29-2018), JC220 (4 Weeks Ago), Klink (06-28-2018)

  25. #74
    postwhore posterchild Klink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Abstract Plains, USA
    Posts
    4,042

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    It's funny... my experience with Big Ass and their various brands has been miserable. At best.

    And I've promised them on multiple occasions that I would spread my story at every opportunity I was afforded.

    So here it goes....

    We have a Haiku fan in our MBR. We did a big remodel two years ago. Splurged on the fan to replace a Casablanca which had been spinning nonstop for 15 years. The Haiku goes into fault mode. Randomly. And every time it does, I have to go online to find out the asinine sequence remote control buttons presses to snap it out of its malaise.

    Oh, and when it goes into fault mode.... it beeps. And beeps. And beeps. Until you reset it. Seems to always happen overnight.

    Then there's the absurdly expensive Haiku ceiling lights we put into our MBR walk in closet. Bought three of the fancy ones. They go beserk all the time. Lose communication with the Haiku hub and one another. Sometimes they blink. Sometimes they don't turn themselves off. Sometimes they refuse to turn on with motion. Sometimes they randomly change settings on their own. Such as light intensity or temperature.
    This is an every week occurrence.
    If you call for support. You will sit on hold for ages. It wasn't unusual (when I still have a damn) to wait for an hour, only for them to tell me to simply reset the power. Or some other reset procedure. Anything but acknowledge that their products were total and complete crap. They do not stand behind their products on any imaginable level.

    And please don't try to use the Android version of the control app. It will blow you away with the level of suck. In fact, they once told me that they didn't care about Android, and that I should switch my phone.

    Final word on the matter... along with wasting $K's on the aforementioned crap, we also bought one of their lower priced fans for a guest room. When I opened the box, I pretty much laughed out loud. It was garbage. The thinnest, droopy plastic blades. It had that horrible Made in China smell. I sent it back without even fully deboxing. I think the fan was ~$500... to me it was junkier than a no-name $79 fan from the Orange box.

    Sorry to be the contrarian. But my experience with Big Ass/Haiku has been total misery.

    I will share an awesome garage lighting story tonight. Low cost. Simple. Mega-lumens.
    Wow, sorry to hear about that. Some of my happiness with them may involve my very intentionally NOT getting them with any kind of "automatic" or "app controlled" or "networked" or "wireless" stuff. Any such thing only causes me to visualize the absolute certainty
    of endless trouble that not even the people that design the stuff could ever hope to figure out. There is just FAR too much that can and will go wrong. Just seeing what random phone/app/car incompatibilities can do is enough to make me avoid all that even if it costs more to NOT have it...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

    ace10 (06-28-2018), gsxr (06-29-2018), Jlaa (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (06-28-2018)

  27. #75
    postwhore posterchild Klink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Abstract Plains, USA
    Posts
    4,042

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    Low cost, High quality LED lighting.

    Yes, the units are made in China. Yes, I absolutely try to avoid buying China. But there simply isn't anything approaching a cost-effective domestic solution.

    20180628_213422_zpslqewgshr.JPG

    4000K, which I prefer for general/utility space. Not too blue, not too yellow.
    There's about 300,000 lumens in this garage. Fully dimmable via 0-10v combo dimmer units from Legrande Adorne.
    The picture shows the lights at ~50%. I had to use two zones due to load limits on the 15A 110v runs.

    Lights are mounted on short 1/2" threaded conduit, rather than the chain mounts which are standard. Ceilings are 12' and then 17' in the high bay.

    Sourced from this site.
    https://www.ledlightingwholesaleinc....Bays-s/150.htm

    If you call and speak to a Sales Rep they will very likely offer even better pricing.
    Thirteen fixtures were right around $1400 shipped, including the optional drop mount brackets.

    I didn't know what to expect with lighting this "cheap." I expected DOA units, inconsistent color, and/or poor dimming.
    The entire order was perfect. I plan to grab some spares and also retrofit my other garage to these same product line, albeit the smaller units.


    The ceiling fan is from Minka Air. It's a 72" model.
    https://www.minkagroup.net/f887-72-bn.html

    I think it was about $600. Installing it was not something I'd want to do again due to the working height. It if definitely not a commercial-grade unit.

    Over the past couple years, I've been a complete lighting junkie/geek. I'm all in on LED. One of the best moves I've done is modifying the fluoro lighting in my machine shed to LED tubes. Instant on. And they work in the cold.
    Looks great! Thanks!
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

    ace10 (06-29-2018)

  29. #76
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    519

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear about that. Some of my happiness with them may involve my very intentionally NOT getting them with any kind of "automatic" or "app controlled" or "networked" or "wireless" stuff. Any such thing only causes me to visualize the absolute certainty
    of endless trouble that not even the people that design the stuff could ever hope to figure out. There is just FAR too much that can and will go wrong. Just seeing what random phone/app/car incompatibilities can do is enough to make me avoid all that even if it costs more to NOT have it...
    ^THIS^


    We're having tech problems with the Legrand Adorne smart switches and gateway, as well. Though not nearly to the extent of the Big Ass stuff. The rest of the Adorne products (the "dumb" stuff) have been perfect.

    My general opinion is that these "smart" systems simply aren't ready for mass consumption. Yet. They probably work great in the lab and possibly in new construction, but I'm totally unimpressed with it all on the whole.

    I mentioned the Adorne combo dimmers (line and low voltage) used in my garage lighting. It's an absolutely perfect solution. Mechanical slide for the dimmer. One gang slot to handle both voltages. Couldn't ask for more.
    https://www.legrand.us/adorne/produc...4fbl3p2w4.aspx
    Priced under $100 isn't even that bad.
    Last edited by ace10; 06-29-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

    Klink (06-29-2018)

  31. #77
    500E Terminus Illuminatus DerFuror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Anyone try the underhood light bar, or have a recommendation for one like this?
    I have the Braun's predecessor, the Luminar WORK. I've had it a couple years & overall, I like it.

    light_bar_01.jpeg

    The ends are magnetized and have recessed hooks. The ends also unscrew to add a few more inches of breadth. It nicely fits & attaches underneath the 500E hood.

    light_bar_02.jpeg

    It has two lighting intensity settings. At times I wish it had a bit more intensity. But the fun in the garage playing rock star singer on the microphone, or light sabre warrior with it more than compensate. Plus, I wouldn't feel a major financial loss if I actually bashed someone with it...it wields nicely.

    light_bar_03.jpeg

    I bought mine using coupon & discount. I would suggest the same if purchasing.

    " Destination ???, It's the ride that takes you there! "
    1993 500E W124.036 040/271
    1965 220b W111.010 Heckflosse

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DerFuror For This Useful Post:

    ace10 (07-02-2018), gsxr (07-02-2018), JC220 (07-02-2018)

  33. #78
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    17,678

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Today’s addition to the GVZ garage.

    Attached Images Attached Images

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    JC220 (07-02-2018), sheward (4 Weeks Ago), Trae (07-02-2018)

  35. #79
    E500E Guru RicardoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    663

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
    Y'all want a set of these. You're welcome.

    https://www.jbtoolsales.com/mountain...ng-wrench-set/

    https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-MTNR.../dp/B00DDO1DPG

    Mountain (MTNRM6) 5 Piece Metric Double Box Universal Spline Reversible Ratcheting Wrench Set

    Includes sizes: 8mm x 10mm, 12mm x 14mm, 13mm x 15mm, 16mm x 18mm and 17mm x 19mm. This premium quality, patented 90 tooth design provides an extra long and flexible reach for hard to get to fasteners with a built in reverse mechanism. The 5 piece, chrome metric, universal spline set offers a limited lifetime warranty.


    jono
    When Jono talks I listen. I bought these in July and am using them constantly now. Thanks for the tip!
    RicardoD
    1990 964 C4 / 1991 964 C2 tip
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), jhodg5ck (4 Weeks Ago), jonie13 (4 Weeks Ago)

  37. #80
    E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man
    lowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stavanger, NORWAY
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    my most important tool..hoping not to be ONE A tool that is

    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to lowman For This Useful Post:

    sheward (4 Weeks Ago)

  39. #81
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    17,678

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Lowman, you are the ultimate 589!

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    nocfn (4 Weeks Ago)

  41. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    133

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Behold all ye who have ever had to drill stainless steel (or pretty much any other kind): The Viking Ultra Bor super premium thin web 135 degree drill bit.

    https://www.mokeyinternational.com/item/?id=B001EHLS2M

    The 643 UB have a thinner web so the leading edge always cuts below the work hardened part of the chip. They go through stainless like butter with sufficient pressure. Like some kind of magic. Changed my life.

    I think I may have bought these through McMaster, but I do not see them now. It was 10 years ago. Worth every penny. I have both metric and inch sets.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atg For This Useful Post:

    Duh_Vinci (4 Weeks Ago), gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), jhodg5ck (4 Weeks Ago)

  43. #83
    E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man
    lowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stavanger, NORWAY
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Lowman, you are the ultimate 589!
    ? what is the ultimate 589?im Norwegian ..remember
    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

  44. #84
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    17,678

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    589 is a Mercedes thing.

    Yoink NOT accepted.

  45. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    nocfn (4 Weeks Ago)

  46. #85
    E500E Guru nocfn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kingwood TX
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Lol
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

    1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

  47. #86
    E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man
    lowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stavanger, NORWAY
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

  48. #87

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    A slightly less that 1/8" hex for those pesky ignition rotor bolts !

  49. #88
    E500E Guru Rouven036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Middle East / Germany
    Posts
    651

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by lowman View Post
    ? what is the ultimate 589?im Norwegian ..remember
    If I may assist, 589 is a part of the designation and part number of (a) special tool.... So yeah you are a 589 a special tool.

    Goes like this W xxx 589 xx xx xx I think you remember now...
    W123, W124, R129, W163, W201, R230

  50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rouven036 For This Useful Post:

    Hakie (4 Weeks Ago), lowman (4 Weeks Ago)

  51. #89
    E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man
    lowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stavanger, NORWAY
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rouven036 View Post
    If I may assist, 589 is a part of the designation and part number of (a) special tool.... So yeah you are a 589 a special tool.

    Goes like this W xxx 589 xx xx xx I think you remember now...
    Oh yes ,now I remember, thank you mister ,I see a new nick name surfacing
    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

  52. The Following User Says Thank You to lowman For This Useful Post:

    Rouven036 (4 Weeks Ago)

  53. #90
    E500E Guru nocfn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kingwood TX
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    better tool than stool (MUAHAHAHAHAH)
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

    1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

  54. #91
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,333

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    For low cost, general purpose use, this LED light from Harbor Freight is fantastic. It has a strong magnetic base, rotates, pivots and has three brightness levels. It comes with a standard 18650 Li-ion battery...I recommend buying a higher quality/capacity battery and charger so it's always ready to use. [Admin edit: Regular price $30, can be found on sale with coupon for $20.]
    https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lu...ght-63958.html
    I picked up one of these for $20 with coupon a few months ago, and for twenty bucks, I've been pleasantly surprised. The magnetic base, thin profile, and angle features are all very useful. Battery life is decent but with more frequent use, I think Glen's recommendation for a separate battery/charger would be a good supplemental purchase. I'm using this far more than my old corded, 120v flourescent work light (which is NLA from HF). Light output is very good as well.



    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    I recently bought a Milwaukee M18 mid-torque impact wrench to compliment my air-impacts. Being cordless, it's so convenient to use and powerful enough for most jobs on a car. Haven't tried it on a crank bolt though.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2861-20
    Glen also got me to splurge on the mid-torque FUEL. I got the Home Despot deal with 2.0Ah batter. So far, it's been awesome. I mostly use it for wheel swaps but it has enough power for nearly anything you'd do on the car. It's compact enough to access flex disc bolts and zipped the nuts right off. I'm not sure if it would break free a crank bolt, but if not, I could live with that. I pull crank bolts about once every 3 years and can break out the Earthquake air impact if needed. I also wasn't sure about the "small" 2.0Ah battery, but it has had excellent life with general use, and the light weight is a bonus. If using all day long, or if you don't want to risk it dying on a major Pick+Pull raid, then a larger capacity battery might be nice. The "friction ring" socket retention is a PITA, IMO... seems that this may have been replaced with the more common pin-detent design? That's a minor nit to pick though. Click here for the current HD deal with pin-detent version, 5Ah battery, and carry bag for $220.

    Thanks for the recommendations, Glen! Do you have any other ways to lighten my wallet?


  55. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    Glen (4 Weeks Ago), JC220 (4 Weeks Ago), jonie13 (4 Weeks Ago)

  56. #92
    Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...
    Glen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA USA
    Posts
    2,751

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    re: friction ring vs. pin-detent. I find the friction ring easier to use, especially if you change sockets frequently...plus the anvil is a bit stronger.
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

  57. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glen For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), JC220 (4 Weeks Ago)

  58. #93
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,333

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    re: friction ring vs. pin-detent. I find the friction ring easier to use, especially if you change sockets frequently...plus the anvil is a bit stronger.
    Glen, I find the friction ring makes it much harder to get sockets on & off. Never had issues with pin detent. The friction ring may retain the socket more positively though. I could live with either... potato/tomato, lol.

    The current deal at $220 with more than twice the battery capacity looks like an awfully good deal btw, unless prices have dropped on this?


  59. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    JC220 (4 Weeks Ago)

  60. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    132

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    I picked up one of these for $20 with coupon a few months ago, and for twenty bucks, I've been pleasantly surprised. The magnetic base, thin profile, and angle features are all very useful. Battery life is decent but with more frequent use, I think Glen's recommendation for a separate battery/charger would be a good supplemental purchase. I'm using this far more than my old corded, 120v flourescent work light (which is NLA from HF). Light output is very good as well.

    Agree, it is my go to light now. With the hood open in the 90 degree position, the magnetic base attaches well.
    Instead of another charger and battery, I am thinking of just getting another light.....

  61. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeym For This Useful Post:

    Glen (4 Weeks Ago), gsxr (4 Weeks Ago)

  62. #95
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    17,678

    What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Glen also got me to splurge on the mid-torque FUEL. (snip) Thanks for the recommendations, Glen! Do you have any other ways to lighten my wallet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    re: friction ring vs. pin-detent. I find the friction ring easier to use, especially if you change sockets frequently...plus the anvil is a bit stronger.
    Funny, my birthday is coming up, and an early present appeared two nights ago.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  63. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    Glen (4 Weeks Ago), JC220 (4 Weeks Ago), lowman (4 Weeks Ago)

  64. #96
    E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man
    lowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stavanger, NORWAY
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    That is one awesome tool
    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

  65. #97
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,333

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Nice! Gerry, post your review after you have some time to play with it. I was slightly nervous about it being made in China (decades ago, all Milwaukee was still made in USA) but so far it's been fine. Check back with me in 10 years though.


  66. #98
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    OK I capitulated under the pressure!!

    Based on Glen and Dave’s recommendations I went for a M18 Fuel 2861-20 wrench. The funny thing is M18 tool prices here in UK are batsh*t crazy in comparison to the USA prices. I was quoted $550 (£350+VAT) at a Milwaukee store locally today for a lesser nm rated M18 mid range wrench with charger and 2 batts!!

    So I bought a bare 2861-20 wrench from USA for 130 bucks and even with the import duty paid up front + international postage costs this saved me a lot of £££. (I will buy a UK charger and 1x 5.0ah battery separate online in UK)
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

    1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

  67. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

    Glen (4 Weeks Ago), gsxr (4 Weeks Ago)

  68. #99
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    17,678

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Nice! Gerry, post your review after you have some time to play with it. I was slightly nervous about it being made in China (decades ago, all Milwaukee was still made in USA) but so far it's been fine. Check back with me in 10 years though.

    Will do. I should be using it this coming weekend. It feels like a pretty hefty tool, so I'm not too concerned about it being made in China.

    Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    OK I capitulated under the pressure!!

    Based on Glen and Dave’s recommendations I went for a M18 Fuel 2861-20 wrench. The funny thing is M18 tool prices here in UK are batsh*t crazy in comparison to the USA prices. I was quoted $550 (£350+VAT) at a Milwaukee store locally today for a lesser nm rated M18 mid range wrench with charger and 2 batts!!

    So I bought a bare 2861-20 wrench from USA for 130 bucks and even with the import duty paid up front + international postage costs this saved me a lot of £££. (I will buy a UK charger and 1x 5.0ah battery separate online in UK)
    Here in the US, the charger + one battery retails for USD $150+, so that would be a significant part of the price. The second battery would retail for $100+, so about half of the total price would be batteries+charger, leaving the actual tool to run around USD $250. They are $220 here at Home Despot, but do come with one battery (but no charger) as a "freebie" when purchasing the M18 impact wrench. So yes, the prices are somewhat higher, but for what you got, the guano isn't TOO TOO thick.

    I'd say that here in the US, a well-bought setup like you got would be in the $400-450 range, tax included.

  69. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    JC220 (4 Weeks Ago)

  70. #100
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Here in the US, the charger + one battery retails for USD $150+, so that would be a significant part of the price. The second battery would retail for $100+, so about half of the total price would be batteries+charger, leaving the actual tool to run around USD $250. They are $220 here at Home Despot, but do come with one battery (but no charger) as a "freebie" when purchasing the M18 impact wrench. So yes, the prices are somewhat higher, but for what you got, the guano isn't TOO TOO thick.

    I'd say that here in the US, a well-bought setup like you got would be in the $400-450 range, tax included.
    Thanks for the info Gerry – all said & done the impact wrench from USA inc all taxes and shipping was £138. + 1x Milwaukee 5.0 Red lithium battery and Milwaukee UK charger on ebay UK for £88. Total £226 GBP (296USD) which is a saving of £194 GBP (254 USD) compared to the local store bundle price with 2x batteries but a max 610nm wrench although I’m down one battery and case. That’s OK though I think one 5.0 battery will be fine for my use levels and I don’t require the case sitting around taking up garage shelf space
    Last edited by JC220; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:01 AM.
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

    1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

  71. #101
    E500E Guru Jlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Posts
    943

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    I love this tiny little micro ratchet. Load it with a philips bit orsomethig and it is less than 1” in profile .... waaaaaaay better than a stupid regular right angle screwdriver, and perfect for stuff like the CHMSL screws

    VIM Tools HBR3 Bit Ratchet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y05COI/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

  72. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), JC220 (4 Weeks Ago)

  73. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Horseshoe Bay, BC
    Posts
    72

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    My favorite is this T-Bar 3/8" flexible ratchet from Harbor Freight
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1992 500E Euro
    1993 928 GTS

  74. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JCM1 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), JC220 (4 Weeks Ago)

  75. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Aloha Land
    Posts
    184

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    For those of us without air tools a cordless impact wrench is something that you ask "how did I live without this" once you have it. I lent mine (I know shudder) to a my friend who lives up the street who has 2 Alfa including a late 60's guilia. I watched as he used on a bolt on the differential and he came up from under the car with a big smile on his face.

    I wanted to add another tool; a palm or thumb ratchet. Not for high torque jobs but to get a bolt started in a tight space they are great.

  76. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vexed For This Useful Post:

    Glen (4 Weeks Ago), gsxr (4 Weeks Ago)

  77. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    134

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Very pleased by this tools with no regret
    Attached Images Attached Images

  78. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to E500star For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), JC220 (4 Weeks Ago), Stevester 500E (4 Weeks Ago)

  79. #105
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Funny, my birthday is coming up, and an early present appeared two nights ago.....
    What model of wrench is that Gerry? Is it the Mid Torque (M18 Fuel 2861-20*Or similar) or a High Torque model?
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

    1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

  80. #106
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    17,678

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    What model of wrench is that Gerry? Is it the Mid Torque (M18 Fuel 2861-20*Or similar) or a High Torque model?
    Mine is the 2767-20 M18 FUEL (high-torque) model, with ring.

  81. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

    JC220 (4 Weeks Ago)

  82. #107
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,333

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Mine is the 2767-20 M18 FUEL (high-torque) model, with ring.
    Yikes! 1200 1400 lb-ft of Gerry-nut-busting torque? Be careful with that thing, leave it on the medium setting... on max it might snap your lug bolts right off!


  83. #108
    E500E Guru Jlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Posts
    943

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    For low cost, general purpose use, this LED light from Harbor Freight is fantastic. It has a strong magnetic base, rotates, pivots and has three brightness levels. It comes with a standard 18650 Li-ion battery...I recommend buying a higher quality/capacity battery and charger so it's always ready to use. [Admin edit: Regular price $30, can be found on sale with coupon for $20.]
    https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lu...ght-63958.html

    Thanks!

    What's the etiquette with the coupons from Hazard Fraught? Can I just print out the coupon on my printer from the website and give it to the store clerk in person?

    If you click on the coupon page on the website, the coupon actually states "Original Coupon must be Presented." So that makes me think that I cannot print this coupon out.

    Clicking on the coupon however brings me to a discounted product page ---- yet the website will only let me ship the product to myself ---- I cannot pick it up at the store?

    Is there some other unwritten coupon policy, like how Bed Bath & Beyond accepts all expired 20% off coupons?

    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

  84. #109
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Yikes! 1200 lb-ft of Gerry-nut-busting torque? Be careful with that thing, leave it on the medium setting... on max it might snap your lug bolts right off!

    Actually I am trying to update my eBay order but might be too late... trying for a 2767-20 instead. 1400 ft lbs. I think I "need" that torque to break free super rusty w124 rear subframe bolts and the likes

    I actually had a failure to remove a subframe bolt recently with my high powered CP 1/2 air wrench

    EDIT: I did get my order changed to the GVZ mega nut buster
    Last edited by JC220; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:47 AM.
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

    1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

  85. #110
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,333

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    What's the etiquette with the coupons from Hazard Fraught? Can I just print out the coupon on my printer from the website and give it to the store clerk in person? If you click on the coupon page on the website, the coupon actually states "Original Coupon must be Presented." So that makes me think that I cannot print this coupon out.

    Clicking on the coupon however brings me to a discounted product page ---- yet the website will only let me ship the product to myself ---- I cannot pick it up at the store? Is there some other unwritten coupon policy, like how Bed Bath & Beyond accepts all expired 20% off coupons?
    I think it's outdated text. They used to only have print ads, back before the internet, when selling stone chisels and wooden wheels. You should be able to print an electronic-version coupon and bring that to the store. The cashiers usually could not care less, as long as the barcode scans, and it's not expired.


  86. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    Jlaa (4 Weeks Ago)

  87. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    132

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Correct, no need to print. You can show them cell phone as well and they can scan coupons off it.

  88. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeym For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (4 Weeks Ago)

  89. #112
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    132

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    I am going to be in London in couple of weeks. Besides the set of Sealey sockets link in #1, what else is worth getting from Europe that is either available only in EU or expensive to ship?
    Not looking for anything heavy or bulky but good, high quality hand tools.

    Thx

  90. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeym For This Useful Post:

    JC220 (3 Weeks Ago)

  91. #113
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
    I am going to be in London in couple of weeks. Besides the set of Sealey sockets link in #1, what else is worth getting from Europe that is either available only in EU or expensive to ship?
    Not looking for anything heavy or bulky but good, high quality hand tools.

    Thx
    Yep those are excellent sockets and have never let me down! Here is a You Tube video review which demonstrates just how good they are:




    Besides that I can’t think of anything else off hand that you might want to get whilst here.... I really like all of the Sealey premier tools they are high quality and very well priced too. Draper Expert is another UK brand of tools I buy quite alot of. Both of these brands also do a nice range of handheld COB LED worklamps. Ring is a UK brand of lighting and I have their products too. However, the charger plug will differ to USA!

    Gunson are a UK brand of automotive tools. They have quite specialist stuff – it is all detailed on their website so take a look and most decent tool shops here will carry some of their range. For example I have their Trakrite alignment gauge and easibleed


    If you want to upstage GVZ’s grease shelf then this Castrol rubber grease is only available here too
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

    1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

  92. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

    mikeym (3 Weeks Ago)

  93. #114
    Senior Member Allgonquin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    356

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    I was watching a video from the "Reassembler" series by James May (Top Gear) and he uses a socket set from "King Dick" tools. https://www.kingdicktools.co.uk/tool...et-sets-162-18 They look pretty high end.

    Had never heard of them, Mikeym you should check them out on your trip across the pond!
    Allgonquin

    Objects in closer are mirror than they appear

  94. The Following User Says Thank You to Allgonquin For This Useful Post:

    mikeym (3 Weeks Ago)

  95. #115
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    On the subject of M18 Milwaukee tools do any members have an M18 angle grinder or Sawzal?

    I used (another brand) battery powered grinder at a parts yard recently and I was really impressed with it. Just like a corded grinder in terms of speed and power. The m18 grinder also has a brake on the disc which appears like a very good safety addition. So I bought one too - will let you guys know how it performs in a week or two

    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

    1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

  96. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

    gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

  97. #116
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Just got my Fuel m18 grinder today. Still waiting on the impact wrench from USA. Haven’t gave the Grinder a full workout yet. Initial impressions are good. I do like how the blade is braked and it does feel just like any corded grinder in terms of power output and speed. Quick change disc changes also which will save me losing the grinder spanner every 5 mins! It is larger than a corded grinder though when you take into account the battery etc so maybe not so great in tight spaces.

    I intend to put it to use all winter on my C124 resto so let’s see. "Grinding and paint make me the welder I ain't". It will also be ideal for w124 parts hunting as usually I have to lug around my petrol saw – not any more. And being able to use a thin cutting disc I can make much more accurate / sanitary cuts in the field Although it's still fun to run a 2 stroke saw through a car every now and then

    20180927_185559.jpg
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

    1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

  98. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago)

  99. #117
    E500E Guru JC220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    I went for a M18 Fuel 2861-20 wrench
    My high torque impact just arrived from USA today. I’ve already tried it on rear hub nuts and crankshaft bolts. No problems at all it didn’t flinch it – took them right off. It’s a beast of a gun – a bit of a handful. It’s the first time I’ve used an impact wrench and genuinely been afraid a socket might explode in my face!


    I can’t see there ever being a bolt on a w124 this thing won’t undo with ease Tomorrow is 320CE rusty suspension removal time I have impact sockets, swivels and extensions in preperation. Don't use anything not impact rated on these modern high powered wrenches.........
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

    1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

  100. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (1 Week Ago), Glen (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), RicardoD (1 Week Ago)

Similar Threads

  1. Can't start after 3 months in garage.
    By Niko in forum Electrical, CAN and Wiring
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-10-2015, 09:41 AM
  2. 500 SEC and 300 E abandoned in a garage...
    By --CHICHOIS-- in forum AMG & Tuner Cars
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2013, 05:03 AM
  3. Anyone have a lift in their home garage?
    By Jimbo in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-14-2013, 06:25 PM
  4. Garage Van de Failed it !! Belgium
    By 195910 in forum Recommended Repair Resources
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •