Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

Mercedes Flopper

Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

back on the subject of garage tools. Costco sells some really nice floor jacks. I have this alu steel hybrid jack at the house because it's easier to move around in tight spaces (2 cars, shelves, tools boxes etc) and also have the full steel Arcan 3 ton jack (red one) at the hobby shop. They're both great jacks for the money ($100).

https://www.costco.com/3-Ton-Profess...100222458.html

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by alabbasi View Post
    I bet 98% of forum members have a Chinese-made SDS in their closet and are quite happy about it even though it's somebody else's IP
    I’m sure many do, but it’s probably closer to 5-10% .... and I have not been among them for several years now. Mine is long gone.

back on the subject of garage tools. Costco sells some really nice floor jacks. I have this alu steel hybrid jack at the house because it's easier to move around in tight spaces (2 cars, shelves, tools boxes etc) and also have the full steel Arcan 3 ton jack (red one) at the hobby shop. They're both great jacks for the money.

I have this exact same jack!!! I like it a lot. My only criticism is that it still does not get low enough to lift my P-car while using JackPoint JackStand adapters and the rear jacking points. If only it went 1/2" lower....
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

back on the subject of garage tools. Costco sells some really nice floor jacks. I have this alu steel hybrid jack at the house because it's easier to move around in tight spaces (2 cars, shelves, tools boxes etc) and also have the full steel Arcan 3 ton jack (red one) at the hobby shop. They're both great jacks for the money.

Bought one 3 years ago and been pretty happy with it. I noticed that some minor changes on the new ones and $20 increase in price.

Did anyone get this one for $1000:
    https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5,0...100460313.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    You might as well just say BMW is way better than Mercedes-Benz, and that the w124 is about on par with a 1976 Ford Pinto, I mean an Austin Princess.
    Everything on Shaftesbury / Leicester / Charing Cross / Rubert is about as good as URO.
    This is always the case. Visitors often like a place that locals (or sub-locals) trash. In my trip to London few weeks ago, I though the street food was the best thing. 7 pounds will get you enough food on Brick lane market...Here in Seattle area, $12-$15 is the going price of lunch at a food truck.

Mercedes Flopper

Quote Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
    I think that if i was to spend $1000, I would buy a full on scissor lift if I was going to get something new. I bought a used challenger 12000lbs 4 post lift for about that and it can lift my Ford 1 ton super duty.
    Of course this solution is not for everyone and won't work in a 2 car garage. A scissor lift should work fine.

Last edited by alabbasi; 3 Days Ago at 12:22 AM.

I think that if i was to spend $1000, I would by a full on scissor jack if I was going to get something new. I bought a used challenger 12000lbs 4 post lift for about that and it can lift my Ford 1 ton super duty.
    Don't have much room in my semi-city two car low ceiling garage that also serves as laundry room.
    Anyways, just ordered it and will see how it goes with E320 and Pig.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeym For This Useful Post:

alabbasi (3 Days Ago)

I bet 98% of forum members have a Chinese-made SDS in their closet and are quite happy about it even though it's somebody else's IP
    What's an SDS, and why's it in the closet?

Does the "D" stand for Data, Defense, or Dildo?

Peanut Gallerist
    Flipper Detective

SK Tools is offering 30% off through Dec 17.

"HOLIDAYGEARS30"

It appears to apply to everything and is layered on top of any current markdowns.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

BigWillieStyle (2 Days Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by BigWillieStyle View Post
    What's an SDS, and why's it in the closet?
    Star Diagnostic System: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

BigWillieStyle (2 Days Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    .... and I have not been among them for several years now. Mine [SDS] is long gone.
    Uh, Gerry, what are you using now? A genuine SDS or a crystal ball?

Where did this go? https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (2 Days Ago)

Since my knock off Star died an early death and thanks to member E500star (Yuri)- I am now running a genuine / original C3 Mux
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Days Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Uh, Gerry, what are you using now? A genuine SDS or a crystal ball?

Where did this go? https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

I sold it to a friend in Texas a while back (long before I left the state).

I’ve been using my Trisco PalmScan (for example to get the detailed codes for the NSS replacement).

Gen-u-whine HHT is in the works.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Days Ago)

Thanks gsxr!

This question or rfi is open to anyone, it pertains to electronics and diagnostic tooling.

First Part:

Hardware
    1-SDS
    2-Xentry

Software:
    1-Carsoft - Bootable OS
    2-DAS - Workstation Client OS / Terminal

Server:
    1-Startek - Data Package

Is this correct/right?

Anyone have a list or link with info regarding Mercedes/Others OEMs default Diagnostic Hardware & Software affliations.

If you Google any of this stuff you get thousands of third-party (Licensed OR Unlicensed) trying to sell their OBD shit.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

SDS refers to a hardware & software package. Xentry and DAS are the software components. There is no separate server required. Read the link above discussing the SDS Compact 3, this is what you'd use for all MB's through about 2009 USA model year. If you want full capability on Mercedes, SDS is your only option. Don't waste time investigating anything else.

Carsoft is an aftermarket hardware & software package, you DO NOT want this. It works with many different makes/models but has many limitations when it comes to Mercedes. The early/cheap versions don't work at all on older (pre-OBD-2) MB's.

Gen-u-whine HHT is in the works.
    HHT? As in the old style handheld device which requires a cassette tape for each model? Or C4? I presume not the latter as a used genuine C4 mux is 2$$$ but good for you if so!

For me - an original C3 Mux is the way to go and works well on most all MB models

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Nothing at all wrong with the HHT !!

The HHT (Hand-Held Tester) is the very best way to go for models with the 38-pin connectors. This would be models through around model year 1999/2000 (DITOG could say the exact model year, bit it could vary by a year or two depending on the chassis).

It is MUCH MUCH faster and more direct than the HHT emulation software found on the C3 and C4 SDS models, which has a lot of overhead. The C3/C4 SDS HHT emulation software is fully functional and identical to the HHT in terms of capabilities, but the bootup, setup and such is more tedious/cumbersome than just firing up the HHT, connecting it and making readings straightaway.

For older cars, such as the C126, the blink codes and their exceedingly limited data sufficient just using a home-made blink code reader.

Which reminds me, I never set up the HFMscan software (despite having the cables and such) for my G-wagen. I will prioritise that as a near-term project. Damn it.

The fact that used HHTs are $1,200 at a minimum tells you that they command a premium and are highly valued by mechanics and DIYers, alike.

The last time I visited DITOG's shop in Boise, this past August, I wanted to "nick" his real-deal HHT....would have if I'd have been able to slip it under my shirt or into my sock.

Cheers,
    Gerry

24. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Days Ago)

For those on a budget, don’t dismiss the SnapOn MGT2500, which can be found on eBay for relatively little $$. I have a bootleg SDS that works great, but when I’m looking at a car out in the field for purchase, for example, dragging all of the hardware required and getting power for the SDS can be a PITA.

GSXR turned me on to the SnapOn device, which while it doesn’t provide the same depth of coverage SDS does, goes a long way in hitting the high points and is self powered and extremely portable. Engine systems are covered in detail, and it also does the 722.6 transmission parameters, which are really important in judging the condition of a transmission. It doesn’t do a lot of the interior and climate control stuff.

Nearly everything you’ll see on eBay will have the personality keys, cables and software modules for domestic cars. I bought a complete setup for $175, bought a Mercedes cable, software module and personality keys for another maybe $150, and sold off all of the domestic cables and software modules for over $300, so I figure I got mine for close to free.

I love mine and use it far more than my SDS because it’s so convenient.

P.S. - Gerry, I’m a second generation A-E wearer. I was lucky enough to live in Port Washington for 8 years, so the Shoe Bank and Tent Sale were regular hangouts. I think I’ve got about 10 pairs these days...

Dan

Nothing at all wrong with the HHT !!

The HHT (Hand-Held Tester) is the very best way to go for models with the 38-pin connectors. This would be models through around model year 1999/2000 (DITOG could say the exact model year, bit it could vary by a year or two depending on the chassis).

It is MUCH MUCH faster and more direct than the HHT emulation software found on the C3 and C4 SDS models, which has a lot of overhead. The C3/C4 SDS HHT emulation software is fully functional and identical to the HHT in terms of capabilities, but the bootup, setup and such is more tedious/cumbersome than just firing up the HHT, connecting it and making readings straightaway.

For older cars, such as the C126, the blink codes and their exceedingly limited data sufficient just using a home-made blink code reader.

Which reminds me, I never set up the HFMscan software (despite having the cables and such) for my G-wagen. I will prioritise that as a near-term project. Damn it.

The fact that used HHTs are $1,200 at a minimum tells you that they command a premium and are highly valued by mechanics and DIYers, alike.

The last time I visited DITOG's shop in Boise, this past August, I wanted to "nick" his real-deal HHT....would have if I'd have been able to slip it under my shirt or into my sock.

Cheers,
    Gerry
    I think the main drawback of HHT is that you must have a cartridge for car each model so it will work – is that correct? With such a system locating a full set of cartridges could be difficult now. If the HHT device comes with a w124 cartridge for example well be prepared to only diagnose w124's. That is my understanding anyway - correct me if I'm wrong. I did look into it getting one some months back but went away from the idea when I thought more about it and also discussed it with Yuri who has intimate knowledge of all of these units.

In any case for my varied MB fleet Genuine C3 is the best way to go so I can read newer models on Xentry along with any older DAS model. It’s not particularly time consuming to use either in my experience - with a decent solid state drive it boots up and is ready in no time at all. Having ready & full access to WIS and EPC on the same system whilst diagnosing a vehicle is most beneficial for me.

My HFM software days are over. I cannot understand why it won’t connect to pretty much all cars now except my 3.6 converted 124. Not going to worry about it and will just keep using C3 setup instead moving forwards. It could be a cable issue with the HFM maybe but for the time I’ve wasted already trying to revive it - it’s not worth the hassle for me personally just now unfortunately. Maybe I will re-visit next year and see what's up MikeK was always more than helpful

Mercedes Flopper

I have an AST Retriever which is similar to the Trisco that Gerry uses. I prefer it to the SDS which is my last go to device (AST first then Autel DS708 second). The SDS is too rough around the edges and requires a crash cart to use it.

The AST is really handy as it's compact and can get into every system that I've tried to access using the 38 pin connector. It's only shortcoming so far is for clearing the transmission codes on a 722.6. I was able to read transmission codes on my 98 SL500 and identify that I needed a new conductor plate, but was not able to perform a full reset.

It did turn off the light but the transmission was still in limp home mode until I put the Autel on it which successfully cleared the code.

There was an AST retriever for sale in the Dallas CL a couple of weeks ago for $200. It would have been a heck of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    For those on a budget, don’t dismiss the SnapOn MGT2500
    This is a Snapon MGT2500 user

Last edited by alabbasi; 2 Days Ago at 02:34 PM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    I think the main drawback of HHT is that you must have a cartridge for car each model so it will work – is that correct? With such a system locating a full set of cartridges could be difficult now. If the HHT device comes with a w124 cartridge for example well be prepared to only diagnose w124's. That is my understanding anyway - correct me if I'm wrong.
    Early versions had 1MB cartridges that were chassis-specific, as you described... one cartridge for the 124, another for the 140, etc. These were later replaced / superceded to a pair of 4MB cartridges which covered all models through the 90's. Problem is, locating the correct/late cartridges isn't easy. But if you don't need to work on all models, and you have the early 124-specific cartridge, that's all you need for the 124 / E500E.

Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    In any case for my varied MB fleet Genuine C3 is the best way to go so I can read newer models on Xentry along with any older DAS model. It’s not particularly time consuming to use either in my experience - with a decent solid state drive it boots up and is ready in no time at all. Having ready & full access to WIS and EPC on the same system whilst diagnosing a vehicle is most beneficial for me.
    I suspect a proper SSD makes a big difference in the C3 performance / boot time, and as you said having the EPC+WIS on the same machine can be handy. Given the difficulty in locating HHT's these days, it's far easier to just use the SDS. The SDS runs an HHT emulator called HHT-Win for those old 1990's models that originally used an HHT.

HFMScan had the ability to log data, I believe, which is generally not possible with HHT or SDS. This was the primary advantage of HFMScan, IMO, although not many people need datalogging.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (2 Days Ago)

Mercedes Flopper

A car buddy in Phoenix was telling me that the new (C5??) versions are completely wireless and set up to run on a rugged tablet. I've seen them for sale for about $1500 and they seem like a nice solution.

What - you can't diagnose these cars with your phone?

Has to be one of the few things left in the world like that....
    1993 500E Signal Red/Parchment
    1987 300TDT Ivory/Palomino
    1995 E320 Cabrio Black/Parchment
    1969 280SL Silver/Green - 1970 280SL Black/Parchmen
    1987 560SL Signal Red/Palomino

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Days Ago), sheward (2 Days Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Well, you can, but it requires using a landline to call the top-secret number to reach Klink in the Batcave.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Days Ago), maw1124 (2 Days Ago), sheward (2 Days Ago)

A car buddy in Phoenix was telling me that the new (C5??) versions are completely wireless and set up to run on a rugged tablet. I've seen them for sale for about $1500 and they seem like a nice solution.
    I could be wrong but I believe the C5 Mux is a purely Chinese version that MB never produced. Read into that what you will but – in my experience all china MB muxes are poor quality and should be avoided unless you are ready to buy one each year as they fail. Pretty pointless and wasteful exercise. Buy an original C3 Mux and know that will work for years to come.

Yes China can & do make many great products (Like the I Phone for example) but unfortunately MB diagnostic multiplexers is not a good buy from China. See this thread for more information on how to identify a genuine C3 Mux and what the actual differences are in the 4x videos kindly provided by Yuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    You can diagnose your E500E over the phone yes- if Klink or GSXR is at the other end of the line that is

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Days Ago), maw1124 (2 Days Ago), sheward (2 Days Ago)

GSXR requires a landline. Klink, you can catch if you talk to Mrs. Klink. Jono, you can sometimes catch at the shop, but I'm loathe to ask him to stop making money to phone diagnose.

Jokes.

maw

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Days Ago), sheward (2 Days Ago)

Yes, Hfmscan has been an invaluable tool to me. I did a thorough review, including charts generated from several 30 minutes running through highways, on Benzworld. Of course, it is more like that I presented the reviews to trees because replacing OVP is sufficient there. I also provided some test data on this board in the top end rebuilt thread to confirm the engine performance after the head gasket replacement. A laptop, a cable, and a software (total cost without laptop is about $50). I got live data and live charting. The last version of the engine control module for E320, 1995 is the best because it provides the most data. I have upgraded all my ECM to the last version.

jftu105

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jftu105 For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (2 Days Ago), gsxr (2 Days Ago)