Thread: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

I’ve had this thread idea for a while now not sure if you guys will find it interesting but here goes!

As a intrepid DIY’er (And there are many such types on here) I invest alot of time on expanding my home tools range and sometimes you buy a tool that earns it’s keep within a few days of saving time & headaches. I thought it might be a good idea for like minded folks to share their best buys & what they might recommend a member to consider in their toolbox.

Here are a few brief thread starters of mine:

20180502_194843.jpg

Top of the list is a plain old Oil extractor. Pick one with a decent capacity so you don’t have to worry about it overflowing. This one comes with lots of tubes for use on brakes etc too. (Not all pictured) It is VERY handy to have around and makes Oil changes an absolute doddle plus this can actually pull more oil in most cases than just dropping a sump plug. Just recently I discovered someone had rounded the drain plug in the gearbox pan of my S280. No Problem! Just slide the thinner tube down the dipstick and draw the old ATF out where before I would have had to drop the pan and get an ATF shower.

20180502_194236.jpg

Second is these nifty Sockets linked below. They are nice thin walled sockets, 6 pointed but with little gripping slots in them to deal with old rusty rounded bolts. And they work an absolute treat – never fail to undo even the oldest crustiest bolts without issue where my regular sockets (Even 6 point impacts) wouldn’t touch em. And they have the odd sizes of 16 + 18mm that MB now employ on many models such as bellhousing or brake calliper bolts.
    http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&produc tid=19840

439318.jpg

Gearless ratchets – brilliant things. Every mm of movement is translated into bolt action. So working in confined areas like bellhousings where you are waiting on the measly 1x or 2x clicks you can muster from a conventional ratchet these are much faster and more accurate. A must have really!

20180502_194352.jpg

Little vice / mole grips: These are get out of jail items. Things like 30 year old rusted brake nuts that will not shift or round clean off with the proper spanner can be rescued with these. Usually at 1am before work the next day in my case. USA made are best!

20180502_194745.jpg

I have a habit of buying big Ebay generic kits...... (more on that later) this is one such item. It’s a universal bush puller set and as the name suggests there is a size for just about any situation and the cost was covered in the first job VS buying a special tool that would only suit one joint. It also doubles as the perfect set of dies for my hydraulic press.

Ideas / thoughts welcome! What tools do you guys swear by? (Or reduce swearing with!)
    Last edited by JC220; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:29 PM.
    1987 w124 200 E36 AMG Project car - ongoing 1990 w124 300E-24 Fully Restored
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project
    2007 w211 E220CDI Avantgarde Daily Driver
    Parted out myself- 95 C36 AMG / 95 E250D / 98 w124 India E220

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

a777fan (3 Weeks Ago), emerydc8 (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), Hakie (3 Weeks Ago), mwaldron (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

I need to think about unique tools that have come in handy, but here's a few off the top of my head. Links are for reference, not necessarily the best price out there.

- Set of metric taps/dies from M3 to M14, for chasing threads (this set is overkill as it goes to M22)
    - Lisle 70500 tap sockets that allow using a ratchet instead of T-handle
    - Mityvac MV4530 Cooling System Pressure Tester (cap adapter sold separately)
    - A bunch of MB-specific suspension/steering tools, i.e. Klann spring compressor, bushing tools, etc.
    - Pressure brake bleeder (thanks, vexed, for the reminder!). I have a SpeediBleed, but the Motive works well too. Get the catch bottles, it's worth the cost.

- A 2-post or 4-post lift, or anything that can get your car in the air with 4 wheels off the ground simultaneously
    - High-torque air ($$) or cordless ($$$) impact wrench capable of removing the front crank bolt, greatly speeds up wheel R&R
    - Star Diagnostic System (SDS) Compact 3 (or 4)

This gem from Extoil is fantastic for late transmissions that have no dipstick tube to pour ATF into. The seven-speed Mercedes 722.9 and many other brands of transmission (ZF, Ford, etc) require the same pump-upward-from-the-bottom fill method. This beats the cheap DIY methods seen on YouTube, but it does cost ~$115 delivered with their 10% off coupon:
    https://www.extoil.us/products/6-lit...ion-fluid-pump

Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (3 Weeks Ago), emerydc8 (3 Weeks Ago), JC220 (3 Weeks Ago)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

JC220 (3 Weeks Ago)

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

For low cost, general purpose use, this LED light from Harbor Freight is fantastic. It has a strong magnetic base, rotates, pivots and has three brightness levels. It comes with a standard 18650 Li-ion battery...I recommend buying a higher quality/capacity battery and charger so it's always ready to use.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lumen-magnetic-slim-bar-folding-led-worklight-63958.html

I recently bought a Milwaukee M18 mid-torque impact wrench to compliment my air-impacts. Being cordless, it's so convenient to use and powerful enough for most jobs on a car. Haven't tried it on a crank bolt though.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2861-20

BTW, Home Depot currently has a great deal on a kit with a 2.0 AH battery and charger:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...21CT/304238558
    Normally, the tool only price is $189.
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glen For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), JC220 (3 Weeks Ago)

The Milwaukee M18 fuel 1/2 impact gun is an absolute must have. It has the power to do everything (it seriously is a monster), is reasonable $$$ wise, and has a killer warranty. I haven't touched my snap on impact gun in years.
    1993 400E on EVO2's

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Raffaelli For This Useful Post:

JC220 (3 Weeks Ago)

I'm going to have to say my lift is the most useful tool in my shop. Next in line has to be the impact wrench. I have electric and air powered impacts.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

38 pin mushroom.
    But after tomorrow's trip to the Home Depot, it will probably be the M18 fuel 1/2 impact gun.

Easy, my max jax lift. Should have gotten it years ago.
    RicardoD
    1990 964 C4 / 1991 964 C2 tip
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

One of the best (hand) tools I have ever purchased was a Hazet "oil service wrench". This wrench embodies every aspect of Hazet's quality and attention to detail in its design. It was the first Hazet tool I ever bought as a mechanic, and it immediately impressed upon me the importance of my Dad's favorite saying, "The right tool for the job". The ergonomics are simply amazing.

https://www.hazet.de/en/products/spe...number=en_2760

Dan

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    One of the best (hand) tools I have ever purchased was a Hazet "oil service wrench". This wrench embodies every aspect of Hazet's quality and attention to detail in its design. It was the first Hazet tool I ever bought as a mechanic, and it immediately impressed upon me the importance of my Dad's favorite saying, "The right tool for the job". The ergonomics are simply amazing.

https://www.hazet.de/en/products/spe...number=en_2760

Dan
    +1 with LWB.

This was the very first MB special tool that I bought, back in 1998. I got it for my 300SEL 6.3 so that I could do oil changes. I still have this wrench and have used it on every MB that I've ever owned. It now has a major new lease on life as a key service wrench for my G-wagen, for the three locking differentials and transfer case, in addition to the "swivel balls" at each front wheel.

Screenshot 2018-05-03 09.18.34.jpg

Another significant MB special tool I purchased very early on was the MB oil filter wrench for my first W124, a beautiful white 1992 300TE that I purchased as a CPO car at the Portland MB dealership back in 1998. This same wrench is used for the M103 and M104 oil filters, and though it is not used for the M119, I continue to use it even today on my G-wagen's M104 engine.

Screenshot 2018-05-03 09.25.16.jpg

These are two of my earliest, most basic and most important MB special tools. For some years, I didn't acquire too many more MB tools, but over the past 10-12 years I've gotten quite a few, and have a nice collection for nearly everything I need to do to maintain my vehicles.

I'll update this post with additional tools, when I have the time.

Cheers,
    Gerry

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaelli View Post
    The Milwaukee M18 fuel 1/2 impact gun is an absolute must have. It has the power to do everything (it seriously is a monster), is reasonable $$$ wise, and has a killer warranty. I haven't touched my snap on impact gun in years.
    Milwaukee has a confusing array of M18 guns & accessories:
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...mpact-Wrenches

Does the mid-torque 1/2" gun have enough power for most everything we'd need on 124 repairs, or is it worth bumping to the high-torque model with double the removal torque?

Similar question for battery life, how much run time do you get out of the 2Ah battery vs the 3, 4, 5, 6, or 9Ah batteries? Then, XC or non-XC?
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...s-and-Chargers

19. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (3 Weeks Ago)

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post

Does the mid-torque 1/2" gun have enough power for most everything we'd need on 124 repairs, or is it worth bumping to the high-torque model with double the removal torque?

Similar question for battery life, how much run time do you get out of the 2Ah battery vs the 3, 4, 5, 6, or 9Ah batteries? Then, XC or non-XC?

Dave:
    The mid-torque is rated at 600 ft-lbs of loosening torque and 450 ft-lbs for tightening. Most reviews/tests I've seen corroborate Milwaukee's claim so, is 600 ft-lbs enough? I feel that for most things, yes. I do still have air impacts as backup.

The high torque model is quite a bit larger and heavier so unless you know you need that kind of power, I don't find it as convenient to use. YMMV.

Battery size and run time. Really depends on how much you actually use it. I would suggest that for the average DIY'er, the 2.0 is probably sufficient unless you are working on multiple cars all day long, and even so, I think you could get through the day just fine. One thing to keep in mind though is charge cycles. If you are using the tool frequently, the 2.0 AH battery will require charging more frequently. Batteries have a finite number of charges before they "wear out" and provide less and less power over time. So, a larger battery will generally need fewer recharges over time and may last longer, again, YMMV.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once you buy into a battery platform you will eventually get other tools and batteries and you'll be happy you can use any size battery on any tool in the line. When I bought the mid-torque kit, I got it with 2x 5.0 AH batteries because I have other tools that can use them.
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glen For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), JC220 (3 Weeks Ago)

E500E Guru

General DIY - battery powered ratchet/impact drivers (Porter Cable in my case)

Mercedes specific tool - shifter bushing tool

I bought a Kobalt cordless impact which I use for lug nuts. I also value my trim removal tools, a hook and pick set, small inspection mirror and a long hex socket set. I just got an inexpensive flex head ratchet which I always wanted. I do have an oil evacuator which I use on any car with a dipstick. And a motive brake bleeder although I find using it just for pressure seems to work better. I have a picked up a few of the MB tool kit heyco combo open wrenches, they are perfect for brake jobs on cars that have the a pin where you have to hold one side and turn the other. I also have a set of metric ignition wrenches I bought years ago that come in handy.

Wants: quick jack (no room for a lift) and a set of snap on combo wrenches although my old craftsman set does well.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to vexed For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

Ah yes a lift!.... I’d love one of those but unfortunately It’ll be a year or two yet until I get my own. Partly because I’ll need to extend a section of my garage with a ceiling tall enough for a Benz at the top of a 2 poster. In the interim I recently got a pair of nifty ramps from Germany. Very well priced at £86 including express delivery to Ireland! Bottle jacks included. They came in very handy for my recent w140 transmission extraction. Plenty of space to work under it and raising / lowering the car is a doodle. It’s also way more stable having the car sitting on it’s tyres rather than teetering that high on jack stands.

20180428_202400_1524953518729.jpg 20180429_121703.jpg 20180429_121848.jpg 20180429_121923.jpg

I also "needed" a transmission jack and found the item pictured below - very well made and considerably less cost than a transmission jack (Which lets face it will see use once about every 5 years!) It slots into a standard Jack and should allow me to re-fit the transmission when the time comes with precision on my lonesome

20180503_205513.jpg 20180503_205617.jpg
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), Hakie (2 Weeks Ago)

Second vote for the Harbor Freight Braun LED light. Love mine. I just also bought the Braun 845 lumen underhood shop light last weekend and we'll see how that does. https://www.harborfreight.com/845-lu...ght-63990.html

Love my AC low profile floor jack. Use it all the time and worth the money. Love my set of Blue Point ratcheting combination wrenches. Same for my Snap On flex head torque wrenches, which are the only Snap On tools I have.
    Allgonquin

Objects in closer are mirror than they appear

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Allgonquin For This Useful Post:

Glen (2 Weeks Ago)

I enjoy using my Krikit belt tension gauge. Results are very consistent and it's cool, too.

Admin edit: This tool is not required for W124 chassis, which all use serpentine belts.

Quote Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
    I enjoy using my Krikit belt tension gauge. Results are very consistent and it's cool, too.
    Well that is fun. Can you explain the function? I haven’t seen one before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I enjoy my Krikit too, but it only works on M117 v-belts, not the M103/104/119 serpentine belt. Proper use of a Krikit can get one molested by the ladies, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Allgonquin View Post
    Second vote for the Harbor Freight Braun LED light. Love mine. I just also bought the Braun 845 lumen underhood shop light last weekend and we'll see how that does. https://www.harborfreight.com/845-lu...ght-63990.html

Love my AC low profile floor jack. Use it all the time and worth the money. Love my set of Blue Point ratcheting combination wrenches. Same for my Snap On flex head torque wrenches, which are the only Snap On tools I have.
    I actually put two Hyperion daylight LED lights over my engine bays. Its like working under the sunny Houston sky without the heat. Also, I have central heat/air fan assembly from my neighbor when he replaced one of his 3 hvac systems for his 4,000 sq ft home. I attached a power cord and I get enough airflow in a 2.5 car garage meant for an entire house. Hopefully the sweat will evaporate as fast as it Presents
    Last edited by nocfn; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:11 PM.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    I enjoy my Krikit too, but it only works on M117 v-belts, not the M103/104/119 serpentine belt. Proper use of a Krikit can get one molested by the ladies, too.
    I got some unsolicited attention with mine!
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

I know what a Krikit is and how to use it. I have not noticed any change in marital molestation by the wife.
    RicardoD
    1990 964 C4 / 1991 964 C2 tip
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), nocfn (2 Weeks Ago)

Haha! You guys are cracking me up.

a777fan, there is plenty of info about these but here's one for you to start with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z11wfc-0-hY

E500E Guru

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), nocfn (2 Weeks Ago), Trae (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
    Haha! You guys are cracking me up.

a777fan, there is plenty of info about these but here's one for you to start with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z11wfc-0-hY
    Ah ha! Thx lucky!

I actually haven’t owned a non auto tensioning car before...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although not strictly tools – there are some garage consumables that I love to have around. That is generic self tapper screw / bolt / copper washer kits. That way you’re never stuck for that pesky seal or bolt to get something buttoned up. When you have to buy a seal ring from MB, measure it and order a bag of the same size on ebay. For example I have a bag of 100x copper washers for the w124 fuel pump banjos – very handy to pick from when you need em! For about 3x years now I've had every single copper / aluminium washer I needed from these kits.

IMG_2206.JPG 20180504_072508.jpg

My prized part of these kits is my w124 trim clip box – still filling this up! Some used clips but mostly new aftermarket. MB charges 4x fortunes for these little trim clips so it’s wise to stock up when they are available cheap on ebay......

20180504_072729.jpg

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), Glen (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Hakie (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post

Well like anything, it depends.

For me, I have the 1st version of the 1/2in fuel impact. It's 1100 ft lbs and I have one 5.0 battery for it. Power wise, it'll do 95% of EVERYTHING I can do to a car. (I have a small auto shop). There is a few times where it bounced on really tight stuff and didn't have the power. Honda crank bolts, 5 ton truck lug nuts, and very well seized subframe or lower control arm bolts that go thru big bushings 5+ inches. I can use it for a week or two usually before I have to charge it.

It has broken on me before, I was hitting a bolt at an angle and snapped the anvil inside the gun. Home Depot literally gave me a new one on the spot.

Next time, I want the new 1400 lb model 1/2 in drive fuel and a 9.0 battery. My employee has one, and it rocks. Another Milwaukee tool that's more suitable for mb work is the 3/8s fuel m12 impact gun. It was special order from Home Depot, around $150 for just the tool, but is perfect for all the smaller light duty stuff the big gun is too heavy for.

As far as the 3/8s impact, I'd give the compatible Snap On a slight edge over it. Snap On impact has a slightly better double trigger and a tad more power, but costs 4x as much. But the Milwaukee 3/8s impact is still a very fine and useful tool. The 1/2 impact, Milwaukee is far and above better.
    1993 400E on EVO2's

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raffaelli For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), Glen (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), JC220 (2 Weeks Ago)

This is another piece of equipment I got a couple years back and It’s invaluable to have around. A 20 tonne press – you can get these in most good tool stores for not much money.

SHOPPRESS-JSZHIDA-20TON-RED-KMSWM01.jpg

For restoration work having your own press is vital. Wheel bearing replacement, bushing replacement etc to name a few all becomes quite easy at home. Even for driving in new oil seals I find the press the best way to do it where possible. Rather than hammering a seal into a wheel hub for example use the press to push it home square and gently. It’s getting use again now for my transmission rebuild.

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Want a tool NOT to buy? These hunks of junk from Harbor Freight. I bought them for pulling valve covers and they worked well enough for low torque bolts. Then I tried using them for pulling a waterjacket from a M100 6.9. First turn I used the 6mm it snapped in half. Figured it might of been a bad one. Went and exchanged it for a fresh one. Put it on the bolt. Half turn in and it snapped again! Never again.

'00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

48. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), Trae (2 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Most Hazard Fraught (see pics below) tools should be considered disposable. They are often handy to have in your toolbox at Pick-n-Pull, so you're not worried about losing your $$$ Hazet / Stahwille / Snap-On stuff. But at home... yeah, shell out for the good stuff. It pays for itself the first time you don't break the tool.

I must admit, the 80-piece rotary nose-picking kit has been VERY handy. Ditto for the muppet gloves (Cookie Monster version).

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), daantjie (2 Weeks Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

Not exactly a tool, but I use a headlamp pretty much each and every time I work on my 6.9. Any old brand really, Petzl make good ones but I just buy a cheap Energizer one when the old one gets too nasty
    Last edited by daantjie; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:51 AM.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to daantjie For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    Want a tool NOT to buy? These hunks of junk from Harbor Freight. I bought them for pulling valve covers and they worked well enough for low torque bolts. Then I tried using them for pulling a waterjacket from a M100 6.9. First turn I used the 6mm it snapped in half. Figured it might of been a bad one. Went and exchanged it for a fresh one. Put it on the bolt. Half turn in and it snapped again! Never again.
    Yep – BTDT every torx or spline set like that I have had has slowly broken off ends one by one. The last kit I had faired better than most lasting about 5 years but just recently I noticed I didn’t have a couple of long bits that I needed. Just a couple days ago I got this Sealey Premier kit. All bits are hardened and it’s guaranteed for life. (Except T40 bit) So if any DO break again I’ll be phoning for replacement bits

20180505_132029.jpg 20180505_132042.jpg

54. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), nocfn (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yeah, unfortunately the Pittsburgh stuff is pretty dismal quality, all across the board.

You can do a fair bit better than Harbor Fright if you go to Northern Tool, if you have one near where you are at (in the USA, at least).
    https://www.northerntool.com/

Not Snap-on quality, but if you're going to pay Harbor Fright-level prices, it's a better option.

Craftsman, by the way, is also pretty bad quality, and only a jump above Pittsburgh for most product lines these days.

If you can find OLD-SCHOOL Craftsman or Snap-on at an estate sale or Craigslist or the like, that's the way to go. Any Craftsman up through the 1990s is going to be good stuff. After 2000, it's just not worth it.

56. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Trae (2 Weeks Ago)

Used the Krikit belt tension gauge on both M117s when replacing belts.
    Finally got the hang of it now.
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by Trae View Post
    Used the Krikit belt tension gauge on both M117s when replacing belts.
    Finally got the hang of it now.
    Just used mine on the c126 owners thread.
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

E500E Guru

Yeah, unfortunately the Pittsburgh stuff is pretty dismal quality, all across the board.
    They seem to be getting better, I like their professional ratchet range. It feels very similar to the snapon ratchet that I also own which it's based on. I'm pretty sure that if I break it, I should have used a 1/2 inch ratchet.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Krikit is a DarkCISide tool, at its finest.

I am an unwitting CIS apprentice with my 300E-24. Recently it refused to start. The MAS relay appears dead again - long live HFM!! I have a late 320 HFM M104 motor sitting in standby for the future

I had totally forgotten my Krikit until I had my recent 1982 300D. I replaced belts on it and while gingerly turning the tensioner with the star on the alternator bracket it occurred to me that I had it. Still in the top drawer of my roll around cabinet in the white cardboard box it came in when I bought it at my neighborhood NAPA store when I was in trade school.

Certainly a majikal tool of mysterious means.

63. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (2 Weeks Ago), Trae (1 Week Ago)

Senior Member stevenstevensteven's Avatar

My brain?

65. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenstevensteven For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (2 Weeks Ago)

I'm the best 'tool' in my garage; just ask me wife...
    1992 500E - Spruce Green(249) Cream-biege (275)
    2007 CLK63
    2010 BMW X3
    2001 Audi allroad
    1986 VW Scirocco 16V

67. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimbo For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (2 Weeks Ago), Glen (2 Weeks Ago), Ntrepid (6 Days Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), Trae (1 Week Ago)

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Back on topic...

I wasn't sure I would like this new tool but after using it, I'm hooked. It's Milwaukee's new M12 (12volt) compact inflator. It makes topping up tires a breeze and being cordless it's very convenient. No more firing up the air compressor just to adjust tire pressure!

Check it out:
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...-Tools/2475-20

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...5-20/304768834

Even with only a 2.0 AH battery, I was able to adjust a dozen tires, some needing as much as 12 PSI. Please note, this does not replace a traditional air compressor, instead this would be for quick, impromptu use or travel. It's all about convenience.

69. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glen For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Hakie (1 Week Ago), JC220 (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yep, I've got the equivalent unit from Lowe's .... very similar and perfect for the monthly go-through & normalization of the tire pressure on the fleet + motorcycle...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-V...BoCKYEQAvD_BwE

71. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago)

It's not in my tool box yet, but I just flew with a GE mechanic who had this set of Knipex pliers in his toolbox. Anyone know where I can buy one? Is MAC Tools the only distributor? After all, yesterday was payday.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1...500&artID=2939

[EDIT] Just ordered:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KNIPEX-Heav...0/282872476194

Admin edit: Also offered here:
    https://www.zoro.com/knipex-plier-wr...ba/i/G3172285/
    https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-860318.../dp/B000X4KP1C

Smaller version too:
    https://www.zoro.com/knipex-plier-wr...50/i/G0371384/
    Last edited by emerydc8; 1 Week Ago at 03:05 AM.
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

73. The Following User Says Thank You to emerydc8 For This Useful Post:

stevenstevensteven (1 Week Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yep. I have those. You can get them T any Sears store that has a Craftsman tool store inside.

75. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago)

Maybe I should have waited for the liquidation sale at Sears.
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

Y'all want a set of these. You're welcome.

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/mountain...ng-wrench-set/

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-MTNR.../dp/B00DDO1DPG

Mountain (MTNRM6) 5 Piece Metric Double Box Universal Spline Reversible Ratcheting Wrench Set

Includes sizes: 8mm x 10mm, 12mm x 14mm, 13mm x 15mm, 16mm x 18mm and 17mm x 19mm. This premium quality, patented 90 tooth design provides an extra long and flexible reach for hard to get to fasteners with a built in reverse mechanism. The 5 piece, chrome metric, universal spline set offers a limited lifetime warranty.

jono
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

78. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), Glen (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), stevenstevensteven (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Nice, Jono! Also found a lower-cost similar setup, dunno about the kwality though. Main complaint in the reviews is that the heads get floppy:

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03114A-.../dp/B01KN6ZVK4

Neiko 03114A Flex-Head Double Box End Ratcheting Wrenches, Chrome Vanadium Steel | Extra Long Design | 5-Piece Set | Metric 8mm - 19mm

• Wrenches are constructed from a high strength chrome vanadium steel with corrosion-resistant mirror chrome finish for durability
    • Unique extra long design provides more torque than other similar wrenches in the market
    • Classic 12 point, 72 teeth ratchet gear needs a minimum of 5 degree swing arc that is perfect for restricted, hard to reach work spaces
    • 180 degree rotating flexible heads allow you to apply leverage at any desired angle and get around obstructions
    • Set includes 5 laser etched wrenches packaged in a high density foam tray: 8x10mm, 12x14mm, 13x15mm, 16x18mm, 17x19mm

80. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

Oh...damn, that is cheap...wonder how long the warranty is/can be...!

Either way, i have 3 sets. They rock esp if you don't have power tools

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

82. The Following User Says Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Many many years of utterly reliable service...
    '92 300CE Black/burgundy Sportlined
    '94 320TE Silver/gray
    '86 BMW 635CSi Black/black 5spd
    '67 Volvo Amazon wagon Green/green 75Kmi time capsule
    '62 Volvo Amazon Black/red 4Dr 65Kmi time capsule

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Good call! Any Fluke multimeter is highly recommended over the no-name meters. Have 20+ years on both of my Fluke VOM's, plus a Fluke DC clamp ammeter that is really handy for measuring alternator charging current, and starter current draw.

Quote Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
    Oh...damn, that is cheap...wonder how long the warranty is/can be...!

Either way, i have 3 sets. They rock esp if you don't have power tools

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I bought the set you originally posted, Heavy and really long! I have ratchet set with flex head, they get floppy but the pin is actually a 2mm hex bolt and blue loctite sid the trick.
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by northNH View Post
    Agreed. I have an 88 and have used it extensively over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by northNH View Post
    ...in other areas for other uses as well.
    '92 300CE Black/burgundy Sportlined
    '94 320TE Silver/gray
    '86 BMW 635CSi Black/black 5spd
    '67 Volvo Amazon wagon Green/green 75Kmi time capsule
    '62 Volvo Amazon Black/red 4Dr 65Kmi time capsule

88. The Following User Says Thank You to northNH For This Useful Post:

gsxr (6 Days Ago)

It is amazing how this less than $10 tool can save us all from a lot of cursing.

90. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevester 500E For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (6 Days Ago), JC220 (6 Days Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevester 500E View Post
    It is amazing how this less than $10 tool can save us all from a lot of cursing.
    + eleventybillion.

The single most valuable tool in my collection, hands down.

Yes the pick up tools are essential!! I'd go further and say get a claw grabber pickup tool too. For plastic items and brass etc such as the m104 fuel rail test nut.... don't ask how I know

s-l300.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stevester 500E View Post
    In 1979 I was pulling the head on the 2000 cc OHC four cylinder engine in my hand me down 1970 Ford Pinto to polish and port it. While torquing the head bolts with a hardened steel star driver, I dropped the driver down the oil return hole in the back of the head. Before I freaked out, I drove over to Sears and bought a pick up magnet similar to this. With it I was able to get down into the oil return hole and pick up the driver.

To this day I still have that pick up tool, and I can’t count the number of times “Mr. Magnet” has saved my *ss by recovering a dropped fastener or tool.

Truly the most important tool I have ever owned, and treated with the reverence it deserves.

Dan

94. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

a777fan (5 Days Ago)

BTDT

1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Quote Originally Posted by emerydc8 View Post
    It's not in my tool box yet, but I just flew with a GE mechanic who had this set of Knipex pliers in his toolbox. Anyone know where I can buy one? Is MAC Tools the only distributor? After all, yesterday was payday.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1...500&artID=2939

[EDIT] Just ordered:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KNIPEX-Heav...0/282872476194

Admin edit: Also offered here:
    https://www.zoro.com/knipex-plier-wr...ba/i/G3172285/
    https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-860318.../dp/B000X4KP1C

Smaller version too:
    https://www.zoro.com/knipex-plier-wr...50/i/G0371384/
    I went on Amazon and got these:

Both 8" and 10" for C$72.46. Kobalt Locking Pliers.

All the best,

Joe
    1992 500E Euro
    1993 928 GTS

97. The Following User Says Thank You to JCM1 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (6 Days Ago)