Thread: WTB: Nice condition 500E

WTB: Nice condition 500E

Hello everyone. I just joined and am posting here to hopefully find a nice 500E. It was always a car growing up that I wanted very badly. Now I have the money to put aside for the car. I am looking for a pearl Black or black 500E with 100,000 or less. Black leather interior in good condition. Just looking for a nice serviced books and records kind of car. I know there are a few out there for sale in the $40-50 range, but I believe that to be very expensive. Please let me know if you have something for sale. I look forward to hearing from you guys!
    Anthony

Re: WTB: Nice condition 500E

Anthony,

Rather than describe what you think is "very expensive", how's about giving everyone an idea of your budget? That way you can get some guidance as to what you might be able to expect to get for the amount of money you want to spend, and if your expectations are realistic for the current market.

As someone who has owned high line vehicles of many kinds over a 30 year period, I can tell you from direct experience that the best car is the best car you can buy for the money. That is, the more you can spend to get a really good example is by far less expensive in the long run from buying something at the bottom end and spending the money to bring it up to spec. Everyone here will tell you that a "bargain" 500E will need a good $10,000+ worth of repairs for deferred maintenance.

Dan

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

ace10 (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Sam SL (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (2 Weeks Ago)

I am looking in the $20-40 range. I know thats quite the spread. but what kind of car could i expect in that spectrum?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

There are numerous threads on this forum that discuss the market on an ongoing basis. If you look at the "Cars for Sale" threads of recent vintage, that should also give you some idea as to what you can get for your money.

For $20-25K, you should be able to get a known, nicely maintained car (with $10K of deferred maintenance) with between 125 and 175K miles on it.

For $30-40K, you should be able to get a well-maintained car (with $5K of deferred maintenance) with between 50 and 100K miles on it.

What's most important is to get a car with documentation and paperwork, not miles. I'd MUCH rather have a car with 200K miles on it with full history and documentation, and maintenance along the way, than a 75K mile car with ZERO paperwork or history.

The main thing is to know WHAT you want in terms of condition, mechanics, color combination and price.

The next most important thing is to be ready to jump on that car AS SOON AS it comes up for sale, because nice cars (particularly when well priced) tend to go VERY QUICKLY.

If I had to buy the best, documented and enthusiast/collector maintained car I could and I had 48 hours to do it, I would with no hesitation buy this example. The seller is an upright guy, and if this isn't enough documentation stated up front, I don't know what else is.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12459

P.S.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago)