Thread: Parts availibility

Parts availibility

Is really ruining "yountimer" ownership.

This was a post from Gerry the other day:

"You have to think of it this way, though. Daimler AG sees that they have hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars, tied up worldwide in spare parts. Some if not much of this stuff will probably never even be used, because there's little demand for it. Other stuff of course there is bigger demand. But the cost of carrying all of that inventory on their books .... if you were a finance guy, you'd be thinking of the opportunity costs of what you could be doing with all of those dollars tied up in parts sitting on shelves, often for multiple decades, not being sold or used. Whereas those bucks (or Euros) could be going toward new product development, or selling existing product.

There's less and less interest by the mother ship in supporting older product. Why should they, when they can sell more new stuff and feed the revenue machine? Keeping old cars on the road just means that new cars are being prevented from being sold.

Also, for newer cars (say after the 210) it's very very very very difficult to even GET spare parts from the aftermarket (i.e. from any source OTHER THAN Mercedes-Benz). That's the beautiful thing about the 126, 124, etc.....there is (still) a robust aftermarket universe of parts available, often from the OEMs who originally made them for MB. Not so with newer cars. Try getting anything for a W212 or a W221 from a source other than MB (service parts like brake discs, oil filter, etc. excepted), and tell me that I'm wrong."

Of course this makes sense, but where does it leave us enthusiasts?

Most of these parts cost the parent company next to nothing to buy in or make..

The cost is in the logistical operations of actually selling the parts to us (storage, packaging, transport, dealer margins etc etc).

I have many 60's-90's Mercedes and I love being able to keep them all in very good clean condition. I want to keep these cars for as long as I can foresee. To be able to do this, I need parts, which has never been a problem until recently.

This is a big issue worldwide and I know the UK Mercedes club are kicking up a fuss about it. Apparently there is focus on restoring parts availibility as much as possible, but I doubt we will be able to order "any part for any model" anymore.
    We cant get critical parts for our cars anymore. Indicator lenses for R129, infra red keys in order to be able to start our cars, window seals, headlamps etc. Yes some parts are available aftermarket but many arent. And aftermarket parts rarely come close on quality.

There has to be more to this issue, as the rate at which things are going NLA doesnt make sense. Is someone buying out entire inventories of used parts? Is this one way of transferring classic parts to classic centre supply only, presumably with a price hike?
    One minute there are hundreds of an item in stock. Check a few weeks later and zero.

It would be nice to get some answers... So far no one seems to know.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaymanek For This Useful Post:

captruff (05-10-2018), Eno (05-10-2018), gsxr (05-10-2018), sheward (05-10-2018)

Re: Parts availibility

There should be a sub-section named .036 NLA parts in the forum IMO.

I couldn’t believe that the E500 LCA’s were also NLA. This is a consumtion and safety part.
    MB should look at the number of youngtimers around the world and make an assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The one item that bothers me is the radiator for the W201-034, 190E 2.3/5 16V is NLA through Mercedes and or Behr

They do have some stock for the euro cars without AC, but the euro cars with AC and the NAM cars (all had AC) in addition to the EVOI/EVOII variants share the same radiator so in the next few years this is going to be an issue. Currently it is NLA, but I certainly hope Mercedes decides to have Behr make another run as I would certainly purchase 2 to have spares.

Jeff
    "Nice Things Cost Money" - Oskar Schindler

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captruff For This Useful Post:

Ntrepid (05-10-2018), skikrazey (05-11-2018)

A/C condensors are mostly NLA now too. I hate that I have a crappy aftermarket part in my 560SEC. I had to bend it to get it to fit, such cheap junk doesnt belong in a Mercedes.

I couldnt get one for the 500TE, so reused the old part which luckily is ok so far.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Eno View Post
    We do have this on the forum, but it's not easy to find... buried in the Wiki. Here's a direct link:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/wik...NLA-Parts-List

That list is not 100% complete, as many parts have gone NLA that we're not yet aware of. Once a part has been confirmed to be PERMANENT NLA from an MB dealer via Paragon / MBCC, it should be added to the list.

Jay, back to your original post... MB is like honey badger.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Eno (05-10-2018), sheward (05-10-2018), skikrazey (05-11-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Eno View Post

I couldn’t believe that the E500 LCA’s were also NLA. This is a consumtion and safety part.
    MB should look at the number of youngtimers around the world and make an assessment.
    There is, and you're welcome to update it:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/wik...NLA-Parts-List

And a list of parts that should be hoarded;

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/wik...Be-Accumulated

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Eno (05-10-2018)

Thank you,
    Actually I have searched for it many times and couldn’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eno For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-10-2018)