Thread: SOLD: FS: First Gear Start Valve Body w/Intermediate Plate, $325 shipped

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

SOLD: FS: First Gear Start Valve Body w/Intermediate Plate, $325 shipped

PHOTOS OF INTERMEDIATE PLATE POSTED BELOW.

PHOTOS OF VALVE BODY POSTED BELOW.

VALVE BODY CONFIRMED TO BE
    124 270 40 15 (early valve body).

I have for sale a late-model valve body and intermediate plate for the E500/500E. The stamped part number on the valve body is 124 270 40 15, and it came from a 400E that was manufactured in April, 1993 (a 1993 model year). The date of manufacture of the valve body appears to be 3/1993.

The VIN of the donor car was WDBEA34E3PB974725, and the car had a 722.366 (early 400E) transmission.

This combination is the best of both worlds:although it has the intermediate plate, the valve body can very likely be installed on an early 500E (722.365) transmission in the 500E with no modifications. For later 500Es and E500s (with the 722.370 transmission), the intermediate plate should be used.

I would think if not needed, the buyer could re-sell the intermediate plate, alone, for well upwards of USD $100 to someone who needs one.

The valve body and intermediate plate completely cleaned and drained of all fluid. The kit will come with both the intermediate plate and the valve body. Optional/included, if needed by the buyer, are the set of mounting bolts.

Condition excellent. The valve body has been stored upright, so that all small plastic pieces are in their correct locations, and none are missing. Cleaning was done ONLY with lint-free polypropylene absorbent towels, as seen in the photos.

Valve body will be shipped in Saran wrap, surrounded by lint-free towels, to keep things complete. Shipping container will be a plastic/Tupperware container inside of a Priority Mail Large Flate Rate Box. Shipping + packaging will cost approximately $25-30 and is included in the price.

Price is USD $350 shipped Priority Mail in the US. This is a good deal for both a valve body + intermediate plate; most sales are for valve body only and are in the $300-350 range plus shipping.

If you've been considering upgrading your car to FGS, here's a great valve body + intermediate plate to do it with.

Cheers,
    Gerry
    Attached Images Attached Images

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: FS: First Gear Start Valve Body w/Intermediate Plate, $350 shipped

Gerry, FYI... a 1993 400E with 722.366 should have a late VB, not early:

Early 400E trans = 722.354
    Late 400E trans = 722.366

The #69 VB will work in the .370 (late) trans on 93-up 500E, but the intermediate plate should be used on early 500E with .365 trans.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Stevester 500E (05-13-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Gerry, FYI... a 1993 400E with 722.366 should have a late VB, not early:

Early 400E trans = 722.354
    Late 400E trans = 722.366

The #69 VB will work in the .370 (late) trans on 93-up 500E, but the intermediate plate should be used on early 500E with .365 trans.
    Dave, I cut and pasted a previous valve body ad I wrote from a late valve body, and I did not change the part number stamped on the valve body when I posted the ad last night to the actual part number. I checked this morning, and indeed it appeared to be a 40 15 (early) valve body. I will clean the valve body today and take photos, and confirm the valve body number. It also has the early style (greenish-yellow, large numbers) number stamping, not the black numbers later style.

I did check the VIN number of the donor car last night, and it did give me a .366 (late) transmission serial number.

Would a late .366 400E transmission automatically mean that it MUST have the late (69 15) valve body? I believe that some late 400E transmissions (.366s) had the early style (40 15) valve body installed on them, and this is the case with this particular valve body.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

WDBEA34E3PB974725 is a very late 1993 USA model year, and yes it would have the late .366 trans. According to the EPC, this SHOULD have a #69 VB.

If the inked number is not readable, there are stamped numbers on one corner of the VB, for upper & lower halves. Lower should be 126-13, upper will be 124-xx depending on if it's early or late. That should help confirm what it is. Remember, transmissions are often exchanged when rebuilt, so unless you captured the serial number, there's no way to know if it was original to the VIN.

EDIT: Ya know, if photos were attached, that would help. No worries, you have 10 more hours to upload per the Honcho's rules (link).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

nocfn (05-14-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

WDBEA34E3PB974725 is a very late 1993 USA model year, and yes it would have the late .366 trans. According to the EPC, this SHOULD have a #69 VB.

If the inked number is not readable, there are stamped numbers on one corner of the VB, for upper & lower halves. Lower should be 126-13, upper will be 124-xx depending on if it's early or late. That should help confirm what it is. Remember, transmissions are often exchanged when rebuilt, so unless you captured the serial number, there's no way to know if it was original to the VIN.

EDIT: Ya know, if photos were attached, that would help. No worries, you have 10 more hours to upload per the Honcho's rules (link).
    The printed number is exceedingly faded and pretty much illegible, but from what I could see, it was indeed the earlier style yellowish-green numbering.

Lower stamped on number is indeed 126-13. Upper number is 124-48. That should denote a late valve body.

Don't worry -- I'll hit the Honcho deadline of 24 hours' uploading for photos.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-14-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

This valve body is confirmed to be an "early" valve body, appropriate for any 500E 722.365 transmission.

It will also work for any 722.370 transmission with the included intermediate plate.

In fact, I would recommend the included/matching intermediate plate be used for installation on ANY 500E/E500 installation.

Photos of the valve body are posted to the initial post. You can clearly see the stamped part number for the valve body.

Since this valve body came from an April, 1993 production 400E (which was supposed to per the data card, have a 722.366 "late" transmission), one of two scenarios is likely:

a) the transmission was replaced somewhere along the way with an "early" 722.354 transmission w/"early"
    valve body; or

b) the transmission is correct for the car, and an early valve body+intermediate plate was used with a late .366 transmission (which I have read may have happened during a certain period of time)

I will do my best to get the ACTUAL transmission number from the donor car, which I should be able to do in the near future. However, given that this valve body comes WITH the intermediate plate, it should work perfectly in ANY 500E and E500 scenario.

Cheers,
    Gerry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-14-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Lower stamped on number is indeed 126-13. Upper number is 124-48. That should denote a late valve body.
    Interesting! I've seen a #40 early VB with the stamped numbers 1 digit different... upper was 124-49. Forgot to take a picture, of course. Wonder what the difference is.

I'm also looking forward to the intermediate plate photos, I've seen 2 different types, unfortunately there is no part number marked on the plates so it's much harder to determine which is which.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I’ll bang out the intermediate plate photos tonight. I’m at the hospital now, Laura is in pre-op for foot surgery.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-14-2018)

It would be nice to see the two intermediate plates side by side.
    What are the odds that the late plate is an upgraded plate that can be used with either the new or late valve body?

Interesting! I've seen a #40 early VB with the stamped numbers 1 digit different... upper was 124-49. Forgot to take a picture, of course. Wonder what the difference is.

I'm also looking forward to the intermediate plate photos, I've seen 2 different types, unfortunately there is no part number marked on the plates so it's much harder to determine which is which.

Last edited by Stevester 500E; 05-14-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Unfortunately I only have the one intermediate plate at this time. The other one I recently shipped, from a late (E420) model.

I probably won’t have another valve body for quite some time into the future.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (05-14-2018), Stevester 500E (05-14-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Intermediate plate photos attached.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Thanks, Gerry! Wow, that is very different than the late intermediate pate, as seen in other VB FS threads.

EDIT: Nevermind... different photo orientations frightened and confused me. The early vs late look quite similar from a quick glance.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I'll take better photos - these were taken in the garage at sundown, with very little light and crude camera flash.

Can we do a thread with detailed photos of the early and late plates? I'd love to know the differences.

In any case, this valve body and plate are cleaned and ready to ship to whomever wants them.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

See if you can get a decent picture of the notches in the VB pate, shown below (edit of your late plate photo on an older thread). I think these are the indicator to tell them apart.

Klink or Jono may be able to elaborate...

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

This valve body is still for sale. $350 SHIPPED, and includes intermediate plate.

Gerry, I am very tempted. Have you installed one yet? Im just wondering if the car starting off in first each time would get annoying after a while?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I have never installed one, because I have the BergWerks switchable First-Gear Start installed on my E500. I don't use it unless I'm in the mood

I have sold a number of valve bodies to folks who have installed them.

One example is here: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7528

Cheers,
    Gerry

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

doolar (05-29-2018), jaymanek (05-30-2018), TerryA (06-09-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I've reduced the price on this to USD $325, shipped. I also have a second one coming up for sale very very shortly, at the same price.

Both valve bodies and intermediate plates come with mounting bolts from removal.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-09-2018)

Re: PRICE REDUCED: FS: First Gear Start Valve Body w/Intermediate Plate, $325 shipped

Hello Gerry,

I cannot see the photos of the item, they do not open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Eno For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by jaymanek View Post
    Gerry, I am very tempted. Have you installed one yet? Im just wondering if the car starting off in first each time would get annoying after a while?
    It's not that bad of job. Not much more than changing the filter. Just be prepared to wear some transmission fluid.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (06-10-2018), gsxr (06-10-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: PRICE REDUCED: FS: First Gear Start Valve Body w/Intermediate Plate, $325 shipped

Quote Originally Posted by Eno View Post
    Hello Gerry,

I cannot see the photos of the item, they do not open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The photos are opening up just fine for me via both desktop computer and Tapatalk. Please make sure you are properly logged into the forum via Tapatalk (log out and then back in again) and using an up to date browser.

If you continue to have trouble please use a desktop computer.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Eno (06-10-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    It's not that bad of job. Not much more than changing the filter. Just be prepared to wear some transmission fluid.
    100% correct. It’s just a matter of removing about 12-15 10mm bolts that hold the plate and valve body to the car.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-10-2018)

Now I can see the photos as I am using my laptop, usually I use my mobile which I still cannot view photos after signing out, updating Tapatalk app, restart etc,
    anyways.
    Gerry, what is the advantage of placing this Valve body from 400E into my 1992 500E? As I read it is a direct fit together with the plate.
    Will the car have quicker start/take off?

thank you,
    Eno

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

The car will always take off in first gear, rather than the standard second gear only start that the 500E has.

Many find this to greatly enhance "off the line" performance. It's an easy and reversible bolt-in, and is best done when the transmission fluid is being changed.

oh ok I see, thank you for the explanation.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

This valve body is still available, including Intermediate Plate, for $325 shipped.

I have a second valve body + intermediate plate for sale, as well.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post

This valve body is still available, including Intermediate Plate, for $325 shipped.

I have a second valve body + intermediate plate for sale, as well.

Bumping this. $325 shipped is an excellent deal for a complete (valve body + intermediate plate) setup, including shipping.

If you want First-Gear Start for your 500E/E500, this is how you get it.

Two are available.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Again.....

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

SOLD.