Thread: Looking for a mint low miles E320 wagon

Looking for a mint low miles E320 wagon

Does anyone know of a E320 wagon for sale as mint and low miles as possible for a collection?
    Last edited by iidoshii; 1 Week Ago at 01:40 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to iidoshii For This Useful Post:

TerryA (4 Days Ago)

Re: Looking for a mint low miles 500E wagon

Is this a trick question?

After reading your post, I did a quick search of all your posts, and unless I missed something, I couldn't find a picture of your 500E.

Post a few pic's, I'm wondering if you ever found the 19" wheels you were looking for.

PS: forgot to check your profile, just looked, no pic's there either..
    04 E500-359 * 00 SL500-040 * 99 SL500-366 * 94 E420-744 * 92 500E-481/498 * 92 500E-199 * 92 300CE-199

4. The Following User Says Thank You to outrbnks For This Useful Post:

TerryA (4 Days Ago)

Re: Looking for a mint low miles 500E wagon

Quote Originally Posted by outrbnks View Post
    Is this a trick question?

After reading your post, I did a quick search of all your posts, and unless I missed something, I couldn't find a picture of your 500E.

Post a few pic's, I'm wondering if you ever found the 19" wheels you were looking for.

PS: forgot to check your profile, just looked, no pic's there either..
    Wow! I am sorry about that! I can't believe did that, I came here because I have had good luck finding W124 parts before, and in fact my AMG wheels I BOUGHT HERE were from a guy with a white E320 wagon actually and 500E was on my head coming here. I just edited my post. And to those coming here late after the edit, I accidentally wrote 500E wagon and got crucified.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iidoshii For This Useful Post:

TerryA (4 Days Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: Looking for a mint low miles E320 wagon

Talk to captruff as he always has cool & nicely taken care of wagons around.

I don’t think the OBX was trying to crucify you, just curious and checking to see if you knew/had something we didn’t. No worries!

Cheers
    Gerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (4 Days Ago)

You don't list your location either but this is one of the better ones I've seen lately...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Merced...s/112992078746

BIN = $16k

Mercedes-Benz E320 Wagon - Very Low 59K Miles & Excellent Condition

elling my 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon. This is the last year the 124 chassis cars were produced and they truly don't make them like they used to. This car is pure engineering excellence. It has only 59,XXX miles and it starts, runs and drives as new. The mileage is well documented by Carfax and Autocheck. The transmission shifts properly, at the the proper times and not too hard. All equipment is functioning properly except the outside temperature display, which is blank, and for some reason the key does not turn in the tailgate lock. It still locks and unlocks properly along with everything else. The climate control works correctly. A/C is very cold. Heat is hot. Air blows out the proper vents at the proper times, including the occasional fresh air introduction. These cars are known to have four common issues and they've all been addressed: The head gasket was replaced about one year ago. It's a very common issue on Mercedes long six-cylinder engines. The car now has no leaks of any kind. The main engine wiring harness has been replaced. Mercedes began using biodegradable wiring insulation in the mid 1990s and it didn't last forever in the hottest areas under the hood. The replacement uses conventional insulation and it shouldn't happen again. The throttle actuator was replaced with a rebuilt unit. The A/C evaporator in Mercedes of this era suffers from dissimilar metal corrosion and eventually needs to be replaced. I have not replaced this one, but since the A/C is cold and has worked perfectly for a long time, I strongly suspect it's already been replaced.

The Smoke Silver paint is all original and in excellent condition. There is no cracking/crazing/oxidation/peeling. The plastic body cladding has been repainted due to a crack in the front bumper and rock chips and peeling in other places, but the car has never been in an accident. There is a shallow dent on the hood, the right front fender, and the left rear quarter panel. There is a missing clamp on one of the roof rack cross bars. There is minor damage in other places. I have pictures of all of it that I can send on request.

The car has clearly been kept out of the sun its whole life. It has no cracks in the dash at all. The interior is not dried out or faded. The instrument cluster still has bright orange gauge needles and gauge faces - not faded to yellow like most others. The rubber door seals are all soft though there are a couple of cuts in the hatch seal. There are some cracks in the wood on the center console, but all the wood has a nice shine and is not faded. The owner's manual books will go with the car. It includes the case, owner's manual, radio manual, roadside assistance guide, maintenance book, service and warranty book, car care guide, a service record from 2004 performed at 37,606 miles, and a service record from 2007 performed at 39,526 miles. Records since my ownership will be included as well.

I will assist with getting the car shipped, but this will be the buyer's responsibility. I can also pick up the buyer from the Bakersfield airport or Amtrak station. In my opinion, yes, this car can be driven across the country as is. I understand it can be difficult to buy a car from far away and so, if the winning bidder lives more than 200 miles from the vehicle, shows up to take possession of the car and then decides not to purchase it, this will be ok. However, if the winning bidder does not show up, negative feedback will be left.

A smog test will be completed for California buyers.

List of recent service:

2016 - replaced all four tires
    2016 - passed smog test
    2016 - replaced ignition coil
    2016 - replaced valve cover gasket, replaced upper timing cover seal
    2016 - replaced rear suspension accumulators
    2017 - replaced head gasket
    2017 - 4-wheel alignment
    2017 - replaced window regulator
    2017 - replaced steering shock
    2017 - replaced main engine wiring harness
    2017 - replaced throttle actuator
    2018 - replaced left and right tie rods
    2018 - 4-wheel alignment, replace battery
    2018 - replaced antenna mast

Please feel free to ask any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1993 500E Signal Red/Parchment
    1987 300TDT Ivory/Palomino
    1995 E320 Cabrio Black/Parchment
    1969 280SL Silver/Green - 1970 280SL Black/Parchmen
    1987 560SL Signal Red/Palomino

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

ace10 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (4 Days Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    You don't list your location either but this is one of the better ones I've seen lately...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Merced...5a-NZb&vxp=mtr
    Yup. The ones that come up in search results from the usual places all have big miles.

I don't care for the cheap chinese tires on it, and the underhood pic seems a bit more beat up than the miles would indicate, but the paint and interior look really clean.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    Yup. The ones that come up in search results from the usual places all have big miles.

I don't care for the cheap chinese tires on it, and the underhood pic seems a bit more beat up than the miles would indicate, but the paint and interior look really clean.
    Yeah, underhood looks like triple the odometer reading. Don't like the looks of that coolant expansion tank either. Seems clean on the outside though. And cleaner than most inside, except the carpet stain in the driver's footwell. Not crazy about 11 years in PA, need photos of the undercarriage.

That price though! Wow. (EDIT: Might get near there on BaT. Because crack pipe.)

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Senior Member stevenstevensteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Yes, I recall he had a very nice one to sell when I was looking from my e320 sedan. Had I been seeking a wagon, it would have been perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post

I don’t think the OBX was trying to crucify you, just curious and checking to see if you knew/had something we didn’t. No worries!

Cheers
    Gerry
    At the moment I do not have any extra wagons for sale. First time in a while though.

Jeff
    "Nice Things Cost Money" - Oskar Schindler

Wow, that's nuts. I'm guessing where it's lived for the past years because mine nearing 250K looks leaps and bounds better than that!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kwontumspeed For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

It's only a matter of time until captruff has another wonderful wagon in hand. One cannot keep him away from nice 16V, E500E, W210 6-liter and 124 wagons. Moths to a flame, so they say....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Kip (1 Week Ago)

Thanks for the replies guys. I am in Florida but don't care where or what country the car is in. I saw that one on ebay, the few things it had going against it was the color, the miles and the interior carpet which could be cleaned better. IDEALLY looking for something with not more than 30k miles... But will settle if the car is outstanding. I am be looking for something that does not even exist....

Quote Originally Posted by iidoshii View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am in Florida but don't care where or what country the car is in. I saw that one on ebay, the few things it had going against it was the color, the miles and the interior carpet which could be cleaned better. IDEALLY looking for something with not more than 30k miles... But will settle if the car is outstanding. I am be looking for something that does not even exist....
    I found mine with 62K and it took 1.5 years. It was original, meaning that none of the known issues had been addressed yet(TA, condenser, wiring harness, etc). Be prepared for the same if you're looking for something with this low mileage.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kwontumspeed For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I think you can find what you want, but it will probably take an extensive search, possibly worldwide. And if you are picky about the exact model (gas, diesel, 4/5/6 cylinder, colors, options) it will be harder. As kwontum mentioned, it could take many months or even years to find the right car.

Keep in mind that MBUSA only imported the 124.092 version of the S124 wagon to USA, in base trim with quite a few options stripped (Tex, no headlight wipers, no memory driver seat, etc) which could be ordered at extra cost. Across the pond they had gas, diesel, 4Matics, and multiple engines to choose from.

In USA wagons tended to get heavily used as kid/pet/part haulers, so it's tough to find one in really mint condition. If cost isn't a major concern I'd be hunting for a factory E36 wagon, or at least a Sportline, but that's just me... would also be tempted with a facelift 124.193 turbodiesel which was not offered in USA after 1987. Oh, with manual climate control too!

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

A few years ago the Classic Center had a 1994 or 1995 White on Parchment (leather) wagon with 38k original miles. I think the car was a single owner from Newport Beach, CA.

The car was listed at $39,000 at the Classic Center and it was gone in about 3 weeks, I assume it sold.

That said, if a low mileage wagon appears I would suggest that you move quickly.

Jeff

24. The Following User Says Thank You to captruff For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    In USA wagons tended to get heavily used as kid/pet/part haulers, so it's tough to find one in really mint condition.

This describes mine exactly. Bought our '95 in early 2001 with 67K miles, after 17 years of daily use it's just shy of 360K! It's been a good car for us but it's definitely seen better days and very soon, will be retired.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glen For This Useful Post:

ace10 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...

Quote Originally Posted by captruff View Post
    A few years ago the Classic Center had a 1994 or 1995 White on Parchment (leather) wagon with 38k original miles. I think the car was a single owner from Newport Beach, CA.

The car was listed at $39,000 at the Classic Center and it was gone in about 3 weeks, I assume it sold.

That said, if a low mileage wagon appears I would suggest that you move quickly.

Jeff
    I remember that one...was really nice!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Glen For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    I remember that one...was really nice!
    It was late 2012, screenshot of the ad is in this post:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/sho...ll=1#post34232

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I bought my second E320 wagon, a black 1995 with black Tex and 32,000 miles, in SoCal I think in about 2002. I paid $35,000 for it at that time, but it was a BEAUTIFUL car.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    I think you can find what you want, but it will probably take an extensive search, possibly worldwide. And if you are picky about the exact model (gas, diesel, 4/5/6 cylinder, colors, options) it will be harder. As kwontum mentioned, it could take many months or even years to find the right car.

Keep in mind that MBUSA only imported the 124.092 version of the S124 wagon to USA, in base trim with quite a few options stripped (Tex, no headlight wipers, no memory driver seat, etc) which could be ordered at extra cost. Across the pond they had gas, diesel, 4Matics, and multiple engines to choose from.

In USA wagons tended to get heavily used as kid/pet/part haulers, so it's tough to find one in really mint condition. If cost isn't a major concern I'd be hunting for a factory E36 wagon, or at least a Sportline, but that's just me... would also be tempted with a facelift 124.193 turbodiesel which was not offered in USA after 1987. Oh, with manual climate control too!

I would love to find a E36 wagon! but with the condition and miles I am looking for, how much harder is this going to be than the E320 wagon i been looking for, My guess is much harder!

If there was any one car model where low miles counted for less, it would be a w124.

To me at least....... the beauty of a w124 is that they are infinitely rebuild-able and that a properly maintained examples with 200k can still drive like a new car. Your mileage may vary.
    1995 E36 wagon

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccrelan For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

I previously did not care much for mileage for the opinion that regular maintenance can keep things in good condition. However, comparing my recent 44k mile W140 purchase to my other Mercedes I’ve worked on with much higher miles (100k – 205 is my fleet range otherwise) the difference in condition is unbelievable. Where you come to expect items to be done for by now such as the engine mounts, trans mount and centre prop bearing to name a few they are all still factory fresh looking with zero signs of wear. The underbody is in considerably better condition too with zero rust problems and zinc still bright on most bolts. Where I would usually be spending my time replacing endless parts and repairing rust – this low mile car requires much simpler / less time consuming maintenance tasks to bring it up to scratch.

More recently I am finding that W124’s here in our climate are pretty much done for if over 100k miles in terms of underbody rust. Extensive panel replacement would be required and these parts are simply not available anymore either new, aftermarket or used. There is value in low miles cars – seeing it first hand has changed my outlook quite a bit. Thus personally, I will now be particularly interested in lower miles cars as I think the higher premium in initial purchase price is worth every penny.
    1987 w124 200 E36 AMG Project car - ongoing 1990 w124 300E-24 Fully Restored
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project
    2007 w211 E220CDI Avantgarde Daily Driver
    Parted out myself- 95 C36 AMG / 95 E250D / 98 w124 India E220

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

ace10 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I would love to find a E36 wagon! but with the condition and miles I am looking for, how much harder is this going to be than the E320 wagon i been looking for, My guess is much harder!
    I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect most E36 wagon owners were probably not using them as daily drivers / haulers... so, if you did find one, there's a chance it may be in better overall condition than your typical USA wagon. I'm also not sure how many E36 wagons were produced.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrelan View Post
    If there was any one car model where low miles counted for less, it would be a w124. To me at least....... the beauty of a w124 is that they are infinitely rebuild-able and that a properly maintained examples with 200k can still drive like a new car. Your mileage may vary.
    Agree 110%. If it's rust-free and straight, you can restore to like new... biggest hassle now is locating interior parts as many are NLA new.

Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    More recently I am finding that W124’s here in our climate are pretty much done for if over 100k miles in terms of underbody rust. Extensive panel replacement would be required and these parts are simply not available anymore either new, aftermarket or used. There is value in low miles cars – seeing it first hand has changed my outlook quite a bit. Thus personally, I will now be particularly interested in lower miles cars as I think the higher premium in initial purchase price is worth every penny.
    IMO, this varies by location, and usage. A low-mile car used in a high-rust area can still have terminal cancer, despite the low odometer reading. Of course a low-mile, zero-rust vehicle is the best of both worlds, if you can find one that doesn't break the piggybank. Also, as seen in the wagon back in post #5, low miles does not always guarantee a mint condition vehicle! Low miles is generally a decent indication the car will be in better-than-average condition, but there are high-mile cars in mint condition (just not as common).

37. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by ccrelan View Post
    If there was any one car model where low miles counted for less, it would be a w124.

To me at least....... the beauty of a w124 is that they are infinitely rebuild-able and that a properly maintained examples with 200k can still drive like a new car. Your mileage may vary.
    Right, I can see that side of things and understand everyone had their own requirements. Me personally. I will only use the car occasionally and want it to look and feel as new as possible like the other cars i own. I am very picky, which is not a good thing... I searched and searched for a E60 for a while. Came close to one, but it just wasn't as good as it seemed (sellers are great at taking pics that make a car NOT represent what it really looks like). I need another W124. I fell for the wagon this time. I would still kill to find a mint E60 if there was, but I am getting tired or searching for years on end.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iidoshii For This Useful Post:

ace10 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), Klink (1 Week Ago)

A search for a car with one's own very specific selection parameters can just as easily become a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwontumspeed For This Useful Post:

ccrelan (1 Week Ago), gerryvz (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Merced...s/112992078746

Now on GCFSB

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/199...2/#more-136391
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

Dean Laumbach Consulting has a 1992 300TE with 18K single family ownership from new and it is a California car.

No idea of asking price, but I saw a few images on IG and the car looks clean even by my standards.

Jeff

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captruff For This Useful Post:

ace10 (5 Days Ago), gerryvz (4 Days Ago)

Dean Laumbach Consulting has a 1992 300TE with 18K single family ownership from new and it is a California car.

No idea of asking price, but I saw a few images on IG and the car looks clean even by my standards.

Jeff
    He sends a lot of cars through BaT. OP might want to get cracking on that in case it is destined for that sales channel and the resultant crack-pipe-driven bidding.

$0.02

Jeff
    Where do you see that car? I am not seeing it?

Here is one from the MBCA classified website.

https://www.mbca.org/classified-ad/E...-Wagon-7343778

48. The Following User Says Thank You to skikrazey For This Useful Post:

ace10 (4 Days Ago)