Thread: 94 e500 master key does not unlock trunk

94 e500 master key does not unlock trunk

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a 94 e500 that has been sitting for about 4 years. I have the master key, it is a factory square key.

The key will work the locks and ignition however it will not turn in the trunk lock. Need to get into the trunk to replace battery.

I know there is a method to power up the car in the engine bay but I do not know exactly where to connect power. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Re: 94 e500 master key does not unlock trunk

The key does not turn at all in the trunk lock cylinder? If it does turn and the trunk does not open, I have experienced this on W124 cars that have sat for long periods of time as the trunk seal or release mechanism sticks. If the later is the case then I would suggest depressing the button and gently pulling up in the trunk deck lid. However, if the key is not turning at all in the lock cylinder then you have a different issue, perhaps the trunk lock cylinder was changed at some point and thus not keyed the same as the doors.

Jeff
    "Nice Things Cost Money" - Oskar Schindler

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captruff For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (3 Weeks Ago), Kip (3 Weeks Ago)

@captruff

Thank you for your helpful advice!

For some reason the master key does not turn in the trunk lock at all. I will also spray some lubricant around the trunk latch and seal. If worse comes to worse I will see if a locksmith can make a key for the trunk using a mold. I am open to trying to get power to the car via the engine bay method but would hate to fry something.

I bought a new trunk lock for my old 300E a few years ago, when ordering at the dealership you can (maybe it's could - the NLA hammer is strong these days) get a new lock mechanism with the correct lock cylinder matching the original keys.

That won't help you get in the car though... I would lubricate, juggle a bit and so on, but if it is like Captruff says not even Gleitpaste will solve it . Is it perhaps possible to reach out to the PO and ask if the lock's been replaced?
    Thomas
    1994 E420
    1993 500E - (my fathers)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I once experienced a frozen door lock cylinder on a W124 that sat for years. Squirted some lock lube in, pushed the key in & out a couple dozen times, and gently (!) started to turn it back & forth. It only moved a tiny bit at first but then started to move more, and finally regained full range of motion, and worked fine. If you do this, and the key starts coming out with dirt/crud on it, wipe it off each time before re-inserting. Repeat until clean. This lock was so frozen that at first I thought someone had replaced it, and my key wouldn't work... was really happy to find out that wasn't the case.

It's unlikely the rear lock cylinder was replaced with a non-VIN-coded tumbler... but possible.

There is a connection under the hood, behind the CAN box, under a plastic cover, that is the main power distribution and runs back to the battery. If you have time, connect a good trickle charger and let it charge for a few days. If the battery is dead dead, you may need to connect a manual charger for a half day or so before an "automatic" charger will recognize the battery as chargeable. There might be a thread with more details on resurrecting dead batteries.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    I once experienced a frozen door lock cylinder on a W124 that sat for years. Squirted some lock lube in, pushed the key in & out a couple dozen times, and gently (!) started to turn it back & forth. It only moved a tiny bit at first but then started to move more, and finally regained full range of motion, and worked fine. If you do this, and the key starts coming out with dirt/crud on it, wipe it off each time before re-inserting. Repeat until clean. This lock was so frozen that at first I thought someone had replaced it, and my key wouldn't work... was really happy to find out that wasn't the case.
    Must have been a W123.....

Try the houdini lock lube, but it sounds like it was replaced with a non-matching tumbler at some point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Wow guys, thank you so much for all the advice. I will patiently massage the lock in the hopes that it will comeback to life. I will ask the previous owner if the lock has been replaced.

Sadly the car has sat outside in a damp area so it is very plausible that the lock is just stuck.I will post up some photos of the car. It is malachite green. The way prices on these cars are nowadays I was extremely lucky to get this one!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 500eguy For This Useful Post:

sheward (3 Weeks Ago)

Make sure you also compliment its looks and say how important it is to you. Works with the wife.

Robert

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago)

Interesting coincidence...

This afternoon while fiddling around with the '94TE I recently acquired, attending to some audio flakiness I noticed the drivers door lock would not turn.
    Every other part of the central locking and alarm system was functioning normally.

Came inside to consider what to do next, happened to read this, sprayed some lubricant in there, problem solved.
    Took all of 3 minutes, from wondering what to do to problem solved.
    Time here is always well spent for me, just not usually that quickly.

Also interesting...Never was a damp, neglected, or unused vehicle, it's in wonderful shape for it's 140K.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '92 300CE Black/burgundy Sportlined
    '94 320TE Silver/gray
    '86 BMW 635CSi Black/black 5spd
    '67 Volvo Amazon wagon Green/green 75Kmi time capsule
    '62 Volvo Amazon Black/red 4Dr 65Kmi time capsule

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to northNH For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), JC220 (3 Weeks Ago), Klink (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago)

I remember some years back there was an owner on your island with a Malachite 500E who was a member here. It had some mods including 18 or 19 inch wheels (auto couture?) and was very sharp. I'm wondering if it's the same car. BTW... I have a Malachite 92, quite rare. Good luck with the lock.

drew
    Last edited by sheward; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:53 PM.
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

Sheward: that car is no longer on island but it was indeed a very good looking car! Thank you for well wishes ��

Northnh: that is good news that you were able to free the lock up ,your estate looks fantastic! Congrats on that beauty. Your giving me hope I can open the trunk

Ntrepid: haha I will try to tell that to the other half,thankfully she is tolerant of my car problem lol

Hey guys ,just a quick update

I spoke with the previous owner and he said he had thwbteunk open about 9 months ago. He said the master key will work in the trunk lock.

So far i have not had luck yet, car is stored away from me so next time I get to the car I will try the lock again. I will also start draining the tank. Will be posting up a thread about the car shortly

So just wanted to update everyone ,managed to work the lock loose using copious amounts of lubricant .

Thanks everyone for their help! Will post a thread about the reviving of the car soon, much easier with trunk access��

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 500eguy For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)