Thread: The Art Of Bartering Is Not Dead Yet, or is it?

The Art Of Bartering Is Not Dead Yet, or is it?

I have read a couple of articles on bartering and it seems some people think the art of bartering is dead and some think it is not.

As a Mercedes enthusiast, I have done a little bit of bartering, but it seems like bartering is declining.

A very simple explanation is:
    With the advent of various ways to sell items on the web and the access to world wide buyers, cash is still king.

If one owns an Inverted Jenny stamp, you don't offer to trade it, correct?
    You sell it for cash and buy other stamps of your liking.

Re: The Art Of Bartering Is Not Dead Yet, or is it?

I wouldn’t say the art of bartering is dead. Perhaps some of our current younger generation couldn’t be bothered but for most people it’s AOK and almost expected to negociate over the price of certain items. Primarily in the purchasing of cars or car parts IMO.

If dealing with any foreign buyers then the use of Paypal is pretty much a must. It has opened up a whole new league of buyers since people can quickly and easily trade between countries with little worry of being ripped off. But there is a major caveat to that. Never, ever send a payment as “to a friend” to avoid the fees as this method means you have zero chance of recourse if something goes wrong. Paypal also lock this funding method to come from your bank (Or maybe paypal balance too im not sure) meaning you could not claw it back via a credit card company either. So be careful out there. Cash IS king for local transactions and I wouldnt have it any other way.

I do occasionally also trade parts for parts but not very often.

Bartering is very much one of my best skills to keep my fleet alive. Just yesterday I saved about $150 USD over a couple of used parts bundle deals I haggled in the local yards. Those little savings add up each month to go towards other purchases.

Last edited by JC220; 06-03-2018 at 05:13 AM.
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-03-2018), Stevester 500E (06-03-2018), TerryA (06-03-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I do not accept PayPal payments where I have to "eat" someone's fee. I refund the payment back to them and make them re-send it. A seller should not have to pay fees.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Ntrepid (06-04-2018)

+eleventybillion

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    I do not accept PayPal payments where I have to "eat" someone's fee. I refund the payment back to them and make them re-send it. A seller should not have to pay fees.
    If you know and 100 percent trust the individual then you can send as friends or family. But in any other circumstance I send a little extra money via the normal option for goods or services to cover their fee’s and protect myself in the process.

As a seller for many items myself I do accept PayPal in the normal manner along with the fee’s as well if I do not know the person as that’s what I would expect myself. For members on here it’s not an issue and as a friend payment method is AOK.

I did get burned once buying an item overseas which did not turn up. I found that when going into my Paypal account there isn’t even an option to flag up or dispute a payment to friends or family. Just a notice pops up to say it is impossible to recall this payment in any way. It is just a polite heads up for people trading online – of course there are exceptions to every rule!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-04-2018)

A prime example is if you were buying something on Ebay orsimilar site and the vendor replies asking you to contact them to make PayPalpayment as a friend as it will be cheaper….. don’t do it! That’s how I wascaught out before and was simply not fully aware that the payment is as good asbye bye when sent that method as Paypal don’t want to know if a problem arises.

I think all members on here know each other enough to trade asa friend and that’s good – I don’t discourage that at all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-04-2018)

Does anyone remember the days when you could trade something for someone's labor?
    Or trade labor for labor?

I guess bartering or trading aren't completely dead.
    I still see car ads, from time time to time, that offer to trade, i.e., "will consider trading for a motor home". I wanted the car he was selling so bad that I went out an motor home. I called the guy back to see if we could trade, and the car was sold !

So, I have a motor home that I would consider trading for an old Ford Pinto....
    Just kidding.
    Last edited by Stevester 500E; 06-04-2018 at 08:09 AM.

I barter when I can. I have a real estate attorney for whom I do IT work for, and when I buy or sell a house I don’t pay a fee. It’s a casual arrangement we’ve had for years, and we’re both pretty comfortable with it.

As for PayPal, if it’s an unknown seller I pay the fees for a standard transaction. I don’t mind and consider it insurance.

As for CYA with PayPal, I do it this way:

Since they require a linked bank account, I have a separate account that is used for nothing but PayPal. It has no overdraft protection and is not linked to any other accounts. When I use PayPal I transfer the necessary funds into the account. If I pull funds from PayPal, I immediately transfer them out.

i do this as the result of a failed eBay transaction from a few years ago where a buyer had buyer’s remorse over a purchase and decided to file a claim against me. PayPal pulled the funds without notifying me, which really disturbed me. I swore that I would never let them do that again, so I set up the arrangement I currently use. This way I’ve got a linked bank account, but as I control the balance, they can try and debit me but will get nothing.

As for the fallback credit card account, the card is expired and I have a notification on file with the CC company blocking any charges from PayPal.

Their policies have morphed into something that favors the buyer to the point where the seller has almost no rights. When I realized this I decided this was the only way I could use them and feel protected.

Dan

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-05-2018), JC220 (06-05-2018), Ntrepid (06-05-2018)

500E Terminus Illuminatus DerFuror's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stevester 500E View Post
    Does anyone remember the days when you could trade something for someone's labor?
    Or trade labor for labor?
    I do it all the time. I recently borrowed a friend's VERY tall extension ladder for a few days so I could frolic about on my 12/12 pitch roof. I sharpened his lawn mower blade in exchange. I'll also trade away unwanted stuff for wanted stuff or to borrow stuff that I don't have to perform work I need to do.

It can be quite fun.

A noticeable segment of the digital generation lack the interpersonal skills that play the essential part of bartering. Living behind a device, many are missing out on developing an important life-skill & are sometimes taken advantage of because of it.
    " Destination ???, It's the ride that takes you there! "
    1993 500E W124.036 040/271
    1965 220b W111.010 Heckflosse

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DerFuror For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-05-2018), JC220 (06-05-2018), sheward (06-05-2018)

Back when I was a kid, my father occasionally needed to borrow a 24' extension ladder from our neighbor.
    The neighbor, a cautious German like my father, would not lend it outright.
    He would sell the ladder, with Bill of Sale, to my father for as long as he needed it, and buy it back for the same $20 when Pop was done and hadn't fallen off...
    '92 300CE Black/burgundy Sportlined
    '94 320TE Silver/gray
    '86 BMW 635CSi Black/black 5spd
    '67 Volvo Amazon wagon Green/green 75Kmi time capsule
    '62 Volvo Amazon Black/red 4Dr 65Kmi time capsule

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to northNH For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-05-2018), JC220 (06-05-2018), LWB250 (06-05-2018)