Thread: OWNER - Inline Sex

OWNER - Inline Sex

Hello! I'm Chris, I live in SoCal. I've always kind of considered myself a BMW guy, but people can change! I've owned a few e30s in the past (hence the username), but i've been without a project to tinker on for a while so.. about a year ago I started getting the itch. Quickly realizing that e30s are now a rich man's game, I started researching other makes. After reading a lot about the bulletproof-edness of this specific era of Mercedes, I found a sputtery little 190e 2.6 with a clean white body and perfect Palomino interior and took it home (pic below). Even through all the worn bushings, mounts, dampers, cut springs, etc, I could feel how solid and well built it was, and how rewarding it would be to bring it back to glory. Having said that.. I'm a pretty big dude, and the 201 is a tiny car. I found myself cruising craigslist JUST LOOKING at 124s annnnnd to keep this intro short and sweet, I jumped on a 93 400e and now own TWO of these fine Mercedes machines, and am in desperate need of a support group (and possibly a second job).

I've been lurking, reading, and bugging Dave in PMs for a couple of months now. I've also been planning, and collecting parts.

The 400e, also in White and Palomino, had a nearly perfect exterior with the exception of some front fender "customization" by the PO (pics attached for your enjoyment). He used some sort of plastic to create a flare when rolling the fenders wasn't enough to fit the 18x8.5 32ET Mandrus Milleniums. I was able to find replacement fenders.. and then learned the hard way that Mercedes changed from Arctic White to Polar White on the 94-95 cars, which is what I pulled the first fenders off of. So if anyone local needs some Polar White fenders, let me know! The interior is clean other than a torn driver seat and sagging headliner. I’m on the lookout for a clean driver’s seat cover in Palomino. Not sure what the best option is for the headliner..

The front suspension is completely toast. Everything is bad. Sourced some good used Koni Sports and Eibach springs from a forum member here that is re-SLSing his 036. Ordered everything else new, just need to dedicate the time now. Rear suspension will probably need a refresh too, but I'm hoping to do that and the rear subframe stuff later on. Also picked up a set of 16x8 chrome 8-holes to replace the baller rimz.

The 4.2 feels strong, but has about 220,000mi on the clock. I’ve only driven the car for about 100 miles so far. Here are some observations.

1. There’s a knock at start-up when the engine is cold, goes away at operating temp.
    2. Had a clicking relay, went and pulled a 92 LH Module, clicking resolved, but now the car wants to die when throttle is applied. I haven’t driven it since swapping the module, just started and let it run in the garage for a bit. Is this something that will work itself out, or an adaptation issue?
    3. Upper harness is a mess, found a good one at the yard with a 1998 tag but haven’t put it in yet. Not sure what lower harness looks like.. What’s the best method to check?
    4. There is a sudden power loss issue that feels electrical. Happens at any speed or rpm, just kind of a hiccup. I’m thinking/hoping this will be resolved by LH module or upper harness.
    5. There is some sort of madness happening with the lights on the dash. They flicker upon startup. The headlight switch also does not seem to activate the intended lights. Maybe related?
    6. Should I scrap this whole plan and just search for an 036 that needs some love? Is this going to be worth it? Is anything worth it? Is this a simulation?

I wasn't planning on buying a motor yet, but I made a bit of a lowball offer on a used M119.972 on ebay, and it was accepted. The seller is a seemingly reputable euro wrecking yard in SoCal. The motor was pulled from a 1993 SL500 with ~125,000 miles. So the plan is to keep the current motor running well enough while prepping the new one for service.

I'll have a lot of questions about the prep and execution of the swap, I'm definitely in way over my head. Let me know if you're selling anything or know of anyone selling anything I may need for the swap (harness, 5.0 lh module, other items i’m unaware of..). I have a 2-3 second delay when shifting into reverse, so I may need to source a good used tranny or consider a rebuild. Does anyone have any insight into what a good rebuild should cost?

Anyway, without a resource like this board and it’s members, the care and ownership of cars like this would be much less pleasant. Pleased to meet you and thanks for having me!
    IMG_20180404_174754.jpgIMG_20180419_160628.jpgIMG_20180421_203019.jpg00Z0Z_1UncpT2YvCs_600x450.jpg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inline Sex For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (06-17-2018), sheward (06-13-2018), skikrazey (06-13-2018), TerryA (06-13-2018)

Re: Owner - Inline Sex

Wow. Two new 400e owner threads in one day?? What is this place coming to??

This is quite the little community here, and we’re glad you found us. Answers to most of your questions would probably be most easily found by trolling the ‘how-to’ section and just reading through. Or alternatively, using the great search feature.

If I were you, I’d get after those harnesses first. The could be causing all sorts of gremlins. The lower harness condition is easy to spot. Just remove the lower insulation panel and look up at the passenger side of the engine. You’ll see the harness running to the alternator, oil pressure sensor and oil level sender. The wire to the pressure sender will be easiest to spot the insulation (or lack thereof) on. Ticking noise on startup might be plastic oiler tubes with a popped cap. Stumbling and power loss might be moisture behind the insulators.

With this site its contents and its members at your disposal, you really can’t go wrong! Tear in and see where it takes ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-13-2018)

Certainly better than horizontally opposed sex

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S70/2 For This Useful Post:

a777fan (06-14-2018), gerryvz (06-14-2018), sheward (06-14-2018)

Search "Sun Valley transmission" & read-up.

You can't go wrong with these guys.

https://mercedesdismantlers.com/1500%20420%20560.htm

Currently $1,750 exchanged, even for 500E and 600SEL. What a bargain!

neil

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Wow,

Now THAT’S a proper Owner thread intro. Congratulations on the purchase(s). Welcome to the MB fold — BMW converts, though somewhat rare, are welcomed and often amazed at the differences in build, engineering and quality between the two Marques during this era.

All of your issues are fixable and likely the answers are here. As was said (and as youve probably areasy spent hours doing) check the HOW-TOS and search.

Also I would get to know member “captruff” who is in the OC not far from John Wayne Airport. He is a master guru on the 124, 201 and 210 cars and a visit to his lair up in the foothills makes for an amazing — almost religious — MB experience.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by S70/2 View Post
    Certainly better than horizontally opposed sex
    People here tend to enjoy vee-sex the best, from what I’ve seen. Unless you’re an M104 aficionado (M104AMG, ccrelan, whippleM104, and yes to some degree even the Honch).

Quote Originally Posted by Inline Sex View Post
    I've been lurking, reading, and bugging Dave in PMs for a couple of months now.
    Welcome to the club....poor Dave....pretty sure everyone around here bugs him at some point or another. We would all be lost without him. In fact, there are at least 5 emojis just for Dave!

Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8899 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-14-2018), Hakie (06-14-2018), JC220 (06-14-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Chris, nice to have you aboard! I'd recommend starting separate threads for each of your issues... you'll get a lot more response with a specific thread that describes the issue in the thread title.

The 5.0L swap should be really sweet. Just need the engine, EZL, and LH module. Put it on an engine stand and do a complete re-seal before installing, check chain stretch/rails, all the usual stuff.

If the transmission is shifting fine other than a slow reverse, you MIGHT be able to get away with replacing the reverse clutch pack and removing 4 or 5 of the 20 piston springs, along with a complete re-seal. Cost will be a fraction of a full rebuild, and you only need to pull the front pump to do this (some special tools recommended, but not required if you're creative). Depends on your budget and your available free time to pull the tranny and play with it!

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by 8899 View Post
    Man, isn't that the truth......

There's actually SIX smilies for GSXR though....you forgot this one, Greg:

A rebuild at Sun Valley is going to run around $1,800-2,000. Generally I've heard (and experienced) good things with them, but I've also heard a few (rare) disappointments. However, far more success stories than bad stuff. They are located up in Van Nuys, so be prepared to face the Valleys if you go up there (it can be daunting...). I encourage you to visit and speak with Marc, the owner. He's a friend of this forum.

Other places, a quality rebuild will still run you around $2,000-$2,500, plus perhaps a bit of labor. You can save the labor of course if you remove and replace the trans yourself, but that depends on how much effort you want to expend on the project.

My recommendation is not to Band-Aid the transmission -- just go for a full rebuild. Not only will it alleviate the shift delay to reverse, but it will also be an external re-seal and rebuilt torque converter, etc. And alleviate any other potential problems (front pump, etc.) down the road. Do it once, be done with it for a long time to come. Also a good opportunity to replace the rear crank seal on the engine, as it's incremental labor. And motor+transmission mounts. And .....

Just make sure the rebuilder uses gen-u-whine Mercedes parts for the rebuild, and is not combining used parts from multiple transmissions into a rebuild to save bucks. You'd be surprised, but a lot of the "rebuilders" out there, including a lot of well-known ones in Mercedes-Benz circles, do EXACTLY that. They take parts from one transmission, take a few from another one (all worn/used parts, but not worn out), throw them into the "rebuild" transmission along with some new/replacement parts, and call it a done rebuild. Much more common than you'd think, and a dirty little secret. So, do your homework carefully.

Cheers,
    Gerry

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

8899 (06-14-2018), Hakie (06-14-2018), Ntrepid (06-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    People here tend to enjoy vee-sex the best, from what I’ve seen. Unless you’re an M104 aficionado (M104AMG, ccrelan, whippleM104, and yes to some degree even the Honch).
    Don't forget the four-bangers.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

welcome, fellow 400E owner!

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Has our most famous 400E owner, Clark Vader, officially welcomed you yet?

Heh. He should have bought my 400E and his headaches would be over....

Dan

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

sheward (06-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    Has our most famous 400E owner, Clark Vader, officially welcomed you yet?

are these the same people....
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-15-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    Heh. He should have bought my 400E and his headaches would be over....
    I totally forgot about that... isn't Clark currently 034-less? And your neighbor? Why DIDN'T he buy it?!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (06-15-2018)

Hey thanks for the warm welcome and all the good info from everyone! I especially enjoyed the engine configuration sex puns, and I can see that we're all going to get along great.

Since we're already on the subject, if I went the rebuilt trans route, can I use the transmission from the SL500 that the motor is from or do I need to specifically use a 400e trans? Will I be able to use the same trans with the 5.0? I wasn't able to find this info by searching.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Ah, the million peso question... and I don't know the answer. The R129 trans has a physically different main housing but it could be something stupidly minor that doesn't matter. It should bolt up no problem, and I'm 99% certain it will work fine. Jono should know for sure.

Also, I believe the small rear tailshaft housing is different, that would need to be swapped from the 124 trans on to the 129. Photos attached of the R129 rear housing.

Attached Images Attached Images