Thread: Interesting (read: POOR) Interaction with Precision Motorcars (Cincinnati, OH)

Interesting (read: POOR) Interaction with Precision Motorcars (Cincinnati, OH)

So I wanted to share this experience I just had today with Precision Motorcars (www.precisionmotorcars.com) in Cincinnati, OH. I had reached out to them to buy the delete panel for the passenger door handle on my 2.3-16V (basically, it replaces the tumbler so only the driver's side can unlock the door). I spoke to a very nice lady, Ina, who searched their inventory. Unfortunately, they did not have that part. However, she did say that they have the entire door handle assembly but there was no bin number. She said she would email me as a followup.

A little while later, I got an email (BTW, I posted the thread as an attachment and have removed the email addresses) confirming they had them but were not sure where and then wished me "Best of luck in my search." So a bit puzzled, I replied and asked if they were going to look for the part. Their response was no and I had to inquire "Why?"

It is at this point where the next two emails prompted this posting. The owner said that "99.9% of our business is service and repair" (Commentary: the service the owner is referring to is *not* customer service). He then followed it up and said if I wanted to pay him $1000 that they would look for it. To be honest, if he had not made this $1000 offer, this story would have never been shared (except with maybe 8899 and Melville).

Anyway, rather than recap the exchange, I've posted the rest of the exchange for your reading enjoyment (Note: Read from the bottom up) as well as to provide an FYI if you need to get a part from Precision Motors. Reconsideration for only their "service" may be in order.

Robert

Gmail - door handle.pdf
    Last edited by Ntrepid; 1 Week Ago at 04:46 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

8899 (1 Week Ago), ace10 (1 Week Ago), daantjie (1 Week Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), skikrazey (1 Week Ago)

Re: Interesting (read: POOR) Interaction with Precision Motorcars (Cincinnati, OH)

BTW, I’m still searching for this NLA part and would appreciate anyone’s input on where to find them. The part number is 201 766 01 56 (Color: 7C45 or 7007).

Robert
    Last edited by Ntrepid; 1 Week Ago at 05:45 PM.

Re: Interesting (read: POOR) Interaction with Precision Motorcars (Cincinnati, OH)

I mean you are asking for him/his employee to search a seemingly large warehouse for a low value part with no starting point. They gave you an explanation and wished you luck in finding it, plus time is most certainly money and him replying to silly emails no doubt takes time from other projects and customers. I think you may be over reacting a bit, but he didn't help with the $1000 comment and he should realize bickering does nothing for his reputation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to S70/2 For This Useful Post:

Klink (1 Week Ago)

Have you considered bringing this issue to whatever entity is in charge of the individual MB dealerships? I'm sure the owner has to answer to someone above him in the hierarchy. Sadly, this is the same attitude I get from my dealer here in Tucson, which is why I never go there unless it's an absolute last resort. If the parts department doesn't feel like they've sufficiently overcharged you, they're not happy.
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

Quote Originally Posted by S70/2 View Post
    They gave you an explanation and wished you luck in finding it.
    Actually, they wished me luck in finding it first before offering an explanation was provided. Being an entrepreneur myself for 10+ years, I understand the time-value-money-equation very well. Like I said, if he had offered the explanation and left it at that, this would not be a conversation. The fact that he got snarky with the $1000 offer set me off.

Robert

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

8899 (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago)

I've owned a business for over thirty years and there were things I've done for customers that were definitely not profitable. I didn't remind them of this fact, because it was just a part of doing business. We didn't tell the customer to buzz off because we weren't going to make our usual profit from it. That's a horrible business practice and if that's how they're running it, I'd never want to be one of their customers. Has our country deteriorated to the point that this is now acceptable?
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emerydc8 For This Useful Post:

8899 (1 Week Ago), ace10 (1 Week Ago), Ntrepid (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrepid View Post
    Actually, they wished me luck in finding it first before offering an explanation was provided. Being an entrepreneur myself for 10+ years, I understand the time-value-money-equation very well. Like I said, if he had offered the explanation and left it at that, this would not be a conversation. The fact that he got snarky with the $1000 offer set me off.

Robert
    "Sorry,

It's possible the door handles may be in inventory, but without an adequate bin location (which we don't have) it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Best of luck in the search"

Seems like an apology, explanation, and well wishing all in one.

Just playing devils advocate here, I fully understand where you are coming from (and agree) in regards to his unprofessional comments. Clearly he responded to your email from his personal Iphone quickly without thinking it through.
    Last edited by S70/2; 1 Week Ago at 07:05 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70/2 For This Useful Post:

Klink (1 Week Ago), Ntrepid (1 Week Ago)

Robert

Exactly. I don't care what was actually going through his mind during the exchange with you, thats an email he should have written without an addressee, walked away, and then deleted it when he returned to the computer. I've done that several times, and its pretty effective!

Thanks for sharing your experience. While its humorous to look at after the fact, I get irritated enough at this kind of stuff to cross venders like this off my list permanently.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), Klink (1 Week Ago), Ntrepid (1 Week Ago)

E500E Guru

The way I read this is that he tried to explain why he's not able to sell you the part, even though the computer says that it's on inventory. He then inquired if you would pay him to search for this part after you continued to push so you threatened to trash talk him on the internet which is what you're doing now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

Klink (1 Week Ago)

I too have had awful customer service from these idiots. Bush league for sure. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daantjie For This Useful Post:

8899 (1 Week Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), Ntrepid (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by alabbasi View Post
    The way I read this is that he tried to explain why he's not able to sell you the part, even though the computer says that it's on inventory. He then inquired if you would pay him to search for this part after you continued to push so you threatened to trash talk him on the internet which is what you're doing now.
    Just to be clear, I never threatened to trash talk him. I simply indicated that I would be sharing this experience in its entirety. If this was a MB dealership that was doing this, would you feel like this is different? When he made the ludicrous offer to have me pay $1000 to find a $10 part (which if it took a day to find meant he was paying someone an annualized salary of $200K), I made the decision to not make a purchase regardless. His lack of tact in making that offer changed the conversation.

Let’s be honest, what he should have said is “Sorry, we don’t have this part” and he should remove it from his inventory if he cannot find it (after all, how can he be sure he has it?)

Robert
    Last edited by Ntrepid; 1 Week Ago at 09:54 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ntrepid For This Useful Post:

daantjie (1 Week Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by emerydc8 View Post
    Have you considered bringing this issue to whatever entity is in charge of the individual MB dealerships? I'm sure the owner has to answer to someone above him in the hierarchy. Sadly, this is the same attitude I get from my dealer here in Tucson, which is why I never go there unless it's an absolute last resort. If the parts department doesn't feel like they've sufficiently overcharged you, they're not happy.
    This is not a Benz dealer, Jon, this is an indie repair shop.
    Last edited by Klink; 1 Week Ago at 10:19 PM.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Honestly, it sounds to me like you were both having a bad day, with his behavior a little worse. No offense, we all have bad days. They should’ve simply said “Sorry, we can’t find it” leaving you only disappointed, instead of angry. That said, with what you’ve done here, you have assured that if they DO stumble across them, they are NOT going to call you and say, “Sorry for the delay, but we DID find them and you can have them for (x= cheap price)”
    With his comment, he has eliminated any chance to make a profit off of you, if not on this, then on possibly something else in the future. Things said or done in anger usually take us farther away from what we really want.
    That’s what I have to remind myself, unfortunately frequently...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

bing (1 Week Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), Glen (1 Week Ago), skikrazey (1 Week Ago)

E500E Guru

Just to be clear, I never threatened to trash talk him. I simply indicated that I would be sharing this experience in its entirety.
    Yeah you did, you said "It will be much easier for me to post this thread on the Mercedes forum I am a senior member of and encouragethem to not call for parts on their vintage MB but rather stop in (if any are in the Cincinnati area) for service"

Sounds like veiled threat of using your clout in a Mercedes Benz forum (whatever that means) to direct members in need of parts away from this business.

TBH, the emails provided appear to be at the end of the conversation. I'm not sure where it started, but it just seems that he'd reached the end of his tether when he wrote his second to last note and tried to make it clear that he's not going to spend hours looking for something that he's not going to make money out of.

All this over a $10 part that he was not able to find? Bad sport if you ask me.
    Last edited by alabbasi; 1 Week Ago at 12:14 PM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

Glen (1 Week Ago), Klink (1 Week Ago), S70/2 (6 Days Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    This is not a Benz dealer, Jon, this is an indie repair shop.
    Sorry. I thought Precision Motor Cars was a dealer. Nevertheless, I find it hard to believe they have so much stock that they can't locate this part, or at least give it a try since they advertised that they have it. I can't imagine what the return process might be like at this business, even if it was their mistake. I guess there's no pride anymore with some American business people. $1000? WTF?
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

28. The Following User Says Thank You to emerydc8 For This Useful Post:

Klink (1 Week Ago)

I feel your frustration on this- it happens to me too in a couple of local parts vendors. For example they will have a part listed on eBay that I would like to buy. I text or phone them about it and they tell me - "Sure come on over" I make the trip and only when I arrive do they go looking for the part and come back saying "Don't know where it is.... we have it but can't find it...."

Very shoddy business practice. One place in particular parted out a w140 (very, very rare here) and seemingly lost about 60% of the parts on their shelves. They did offer to allow me to come in and search myself so I will do that some day soon.

That guy offering you a $1000 fee to find what he referred to as a $10 part was clearly an insult and not meant to help. A simple "sorry for the confusion, but we cannot locate your part at the moment but If we come across it we have your details" would have prevented bad blood.
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

daantjie (1 Week Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), Klink (1 Week Ago), Ntrepid (1 Week Ago)

For me it 100% comes down to this yokel's pissy attitude. I have 0 tolerance for that. There is a saying that goes: " A customer will forgive an honest mistake, but never a bad attitude". I always remember this and it holds 100% true. Ebay and amazon are eating these guys' lunch for them and getting better (worse for crappy vendors) by the day, and BS like this is driving the final nail into the coffin. Good riddance to bad vendors I say.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daantjie For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), Jlaa (1 Week Ago), Ntrepid (1 Week Ago)

I think calling himself "Precision" is kind of funny...
    1993 500E Signal Red/Parchment
    1987 300TDT Ivory/Palomino
    1995 E320 Cabrio Black/Parchment
    1969 280SL Silver/Green - 1970 280SL Black/Parchmen
    1987 560SL Signal Red/Palomino

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

daantjie (1 Week Ago), emerydc8 (1 Week Ago), S70/2 (1 Week Ago)