Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EPC Confirmed to be Phased Out with new replacement coming: XPPIS / ISPPI

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: EPC Confirmed to be Phased Out with new replacement coming: XPPIS / ISPPI

I received my login credentials for the new Pee-Pee parts system this morning. The credentials allowed me to log in and create a new password for the system.

I can definitively confirm the new system runs in a modern web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) and DOES work on Macintosh systems.

It looks like the system will force password changes every 90 days, which is a PITA.

Other than that, everything looks good. It is more cumbersome initially when you log in to get to the information that you need, by selecting the specific chassis, model, systems. The old Java-based system was more expedient, in that regard.

I would say that it would be a good idea for those with standalone (eBay, DVD-based) EPC systems to maintain them, particularly if using Windows-based system. If using Mac or Linux, the new system (though cumbersome as it is) is probably the way to go to avoid Virtual Machine overhead.

One nice thing is that the VIN (data card) functionality is modestly expanded over the earlier EPC systems.

Anyway, I'm sure that many others received their credentials today, and impressions will be made subsequently on this thread.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Gerry, what is the current annual charge for this - $75?

Dan

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Yes, it is USD $75. I did renew my (traditional) EPC subscription at the beginning of November. It had expired at the end of August, and I declined to renew it until I knew for sure that I wouldn't lose my $75 in the translation to the Pee-Pee system. Once that assurance was made by Daimler AG, then I renewed.

The old subscription period (expiring November 2019) did carry over to the Pee-Pee subscription, confirmed.

Cheers,
    Gerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

LWB250 (12-14-2018)

Hi folks: OK I'm signed in and I've input my VIN...looks like I'm good to go. Poked around a bit. Seems fine.

Regards,

Peter Weissman

6. The Following User Says Thank You to geraniumtr For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-14-2018)

Just noticed a neat feature---a superceded part number shows up in green, very easy to spot.

Peter Weissman

8. The Following User Says Thank You to geraniumtr For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-14-2018)

new system is pretty nice, for me anyway its not hard if you knew how it worked in the epc. I also like opening up a part that is NLA, and adding a not to it so if I pull it up I know it is NLA.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Indeed, the "data card" functionality of the new "Pee-Pee" system is much better than that of the old EPC system. Not only does it provide the order number as the EPC did, but it also gives the Production number, the production plant number, and the shipment date (if available).

The EPC data cards didn't provide this latter information, though a factory VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry) would provide production data that included the production date, delivery date, invoice dealer and selling dealer.

One other GREAT thing that the new Pee-Pee system's data cards provide are translations of all of the special codes (SA codes). The old EPC provided the codes, but didn't translate them.

The SA codes are different from the standard "option codes" found on the data cards. The EPC provides translation for the option codes, but not for the SA codes.

It also has the windshield wiper and tire manufacturers listed, which the EPC data cards didn't have, and only the in-vehicle data cards did (or the GVZ reproductions did).

Cheers,
    Gerry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-19-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    ... One other GREAT thing that the new Pee-Pee system's data cards provide are translations of all of the special codes (SA codes). The old EPC provided the codes, but didn't translate them.

The SA codes are different from the standard "option codes" found on the data cards. The EPC provides translation for the option codes, but not for the SA codes.
    How accurate are the code descriptions for paint colors and options? In the past, the EPC often had ridiculous translations for some codes. Would be nice if the new setup had this rectified.

On a related note, my dealer just told me MB is now charging a princely sum of $150 for "a datacard from Germany".

I'm not sure if that means all datacards, or only datacards which are unavailable in the EPC / XPISS (i.e., really old stuff from the 1960's or prior).

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I believe the EPC is only good back to around 1981, when the W126 debuted, for data cards. I know for a fact that my old 1977 450SEL 6.9 was not available in the EPC, nor was my former 1969 300SEL 6.3.

It used to be, years ago, that you could get a photocopy of any old (pre-1981) car's data card from MBUSA, and if you were lucky even a copy of the dealership monroney. That's what I did for my former M100 powered motorcars.

I am not sure why a copy of a data card would be needed "from Germany" these days, given that the same information has been available forever in the EPC and now Pee-Pee. And the Pee-Pee data cards are essentially as good now as the VMI stuff.

I've attached the EPC data card, the Pee-Pee data card, and the VMI from my own car, for comparison. Check for yourself !!

The paint and upholstery codes are right on -- best I've seen for an MB system to date. Based on my limited use/sampling of various cars, it appears they have solved this issue. I agree, it was frustrating as H-E-double-toothpicks with the EPC !!

Cheers,
    Gerry

Attached Files Attached Files

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    How accurate are the code descriptions for paint colors and options? In the past, the EPC often had ridiculous translations for some codes. Would be nice if the new setup had this rectified.

On a related note, my dealer just told me MB is now charging a princely sum of $150 for "a datacard from Germany".

I'm not sure if that means all datacards, or only datacards which are unavailable in the EPC / XPISS (i.e., really old stuff from the 1960's or prior).

Not sure about what cars, but I was recently told by the Classic Center that data cards were $150. Thankfully, I have both of mine for the 220SEb.

As for data cards in the EPC, or for that matter, VINs, it’s a crapshoot for anything prior to the late 1980s. This is due to the fact that there can be duplicate “last 8” number sets, so when they enter the number into the EPC, it will pull up multiple cars. Same thing for VMIs, so the systems must share a common database, I’m guessing.

I just had this conversation with my dealer parts person, because a guy told me his 230SL came up in a VMI and I challenged him. If someone brought an older car into a dealer in the mid to late 80s or later, the records would be entered for the car. So theoretically, you could have a Ponton in the VMI system.

Dan

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-19-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    I've attached the EPC data card, the Pee-Pee data card, and the VMI from my own car, for comparison. Check for yourself !!
    Thanks for posting! What color is "METALLICLACK"? Seems to be a fair amount of Germanglish, which is odd. Really like the SA descriptions!

Still, this is better than the old EPC, which showed the paint color on your VIN as "APPLICATION CODE FOR COMPONENT PROCESSING". LOL.

Here is a Data Card quandary I have always wondered about... why do all US Spec (or at least all US spec cars I have ever looked up) include '634 Elimination of First Aid Box' on the build sheet?

All US spec cars came with a First Aid kit AFAIK...?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-19-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Thanks for posting! What color is "METALLICLACK"? Seems to be a fair amount of Germanglish, which is odd. Really like the SA descriptions!

Still, this is better than the old EPC, which showed the paint color on your VIN as "APPLICATION CODE FOR COMPONENT PROCESSING". LOL.

Metalliclack means "Metallic Paint" in German. Lackierung is the long form of the word "paint."

Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Here is a Data Card quandary I have always wondered about... why do all US Spec (or at least all US spec cars I have ever looked up) include '634 Elimination of First Aid Box' on the build sheet?

All US spec cars came with a First Aid kit AFAIK...?
    The first-aid kits used in MBNA/MBUSA cars are made specifically for MBNA/MBUSA, to their spec ... and more importantly to the US DOT spec. It's a different spec than "Yurro" first aid kits.

I believe it may be US law that a DOT-approved first aid kit (when used, obviously not all marques have included FA kits in new cars) for vehicles sold in the United States. A Yurro FA kit is not DOT-approved -- at least all of the kits that I have seen in Yurro cars have not had any US-specific approvals printed on the exterior packaging.

Thus, for decades, Mercedes-Benz motorcars coming to US shores have only included US-spec kits. Back in the old days of the 1970s, the Yurro first-aid kits came in hard-boxes with hinged lids. You see them in grey-market R107s and 116s and the like. The 107s had a small "holder" bracket in the back compartment behind the front seats.

Cheers,
    Gerry

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

a777fan (12-19-2018), gsxr (12-19-2018)

How does one get the new credentials? My old epc login doesn't work.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic
    2018 GLE350 4Matic

if you were a paying user you should have received new credentials in an email. Check junk folder as it may have been years since you got one from them. You should be able to contact them via email letting them know by hitting contact us.
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

You would have received credentials only if your EPC subscription was active. You can contact EPC support via the link on their web site, and they should be able to tell you the status of your account.

I recommend that you either:

- Contact EPC Support and ask them status on your account, and if your EPC subscription was expired, then work with them to renew it with a new Pee-Pee account.

OR

If you go to "http://epc.startekinfo.com" you should see the following page:
    Screenshot 2019-01-12 08.54.39.jpg

When you click on the LOGIN link, it should go to THIS screen. If you have a Pee-Pee account, then you can enter your new credentials. Your old EPC login won't work and is invalid. My browser has my ID and password pre-populated already.
    Screenshot 2019-01-12 08.57.33.jpg

Then, when you log into Pee-Pee, you should see this. Click on the "Parts Information" link and it will bring you into the Pee-Pee EPC.
    Screenshot 2019-01-12 09.04.07.jpg

And this is the main screen of the Pee-Pee EPC:
    Screenshot 2019-01-12 09.06.30.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Is it only me that likes the new system?
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    Is it only me that likes the new system?
    I don't mind it, mainly because it works with a Mac (or any platform) now.

My biggest issue with Pee-Pee is the search function. For example, I used to use ALL THE TIME the ability to enter a part number, and see what chassis/models that part works with or is used on. I can't seem to find out how to do this with Pee-Pee, although I have to admit, I have not done an RTFM for Pee-Pee yet.

Cheers,
    Gerry

27. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

nocfn (01-12-2019)

Okay, I found an email from Daimler in my junk box with sign in info. I was able to change the password, but it appears the portal is down for maintenance this weekend.
    Last edited by Maui; 01-12-2019 at 12:11 PM.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic
    2018 GLE350 4Matic

Gerry: Have you ever clicked on the icon in the lower left corner of the part number box ? It sort of looks like a car battery. It pulls up a 'Model Validity" box showing the applicable models that use that particular part. If the part is specific to the VIN you've entered then the icon doesn't appear.
    Is this what you're talking about ?

Regards,

Peter Weissman

30. The Following User Says Thank You to geraniumtr For This Useful Post:

nocfn (01-12-2019)

My subscription was supposed to last till 04-19.

The article in #58 says that there should be a new one by the end of Jan.

Has a new one opened yet?
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Trae,

The new system has already opened, as of December I believe, here in the US for EPC members.

The post #58 is from, and talking about the Mercedes-Benz Club in the United Kingdom, not the US.

Here in this country, if you had an existing EPC subscription, it should have carried over to the new ISPPI (what I call the "Pee-Pee" system).

You should have received an e-mail with new login credentials and temporary password for Pee-Pee, from MB.

If you didn't get this information, then you need to go to http://epc.startekinfo.com and you will see a link to either renew, or "Contact Us" at the top of the screen to reach out to them with your existing EPC credentials, and ask them to re-send you new credentials for Pee-Pee.

Good luck !

Cheers,
    Gerry