Thread: 1995 S124 wagon - Dash Speaker not working

1995 S124 wagon - Dash Speaker not working

The driverís side dash speaker on my 1994 wagon isnít working. Usually it is totally silent but occasionally it emits some screeching sounds. Is this likely to be a speaker problem or something else? I donít want to buy a new speaker to find the problem is still there.

Another question - did the dash speakers change for 1432 vs 1492 systems? I bought a used speaker but it has a different part number and different connectors than the one in the car.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Dash Speaker not working

Different speakers, yes. I can probably get you one, but perhaps captruff would have one he could sell you from his stock. I wonít be back in town for two weeks to get one for you. If you go to LKQ in Jessup MD there are two 1995 124s there ó a sedan and a wagon. The sedan is fresh and only there for a few days; I saw it and it has both front speakers.

The wagon and E420 are in import row #1; the sedan and a 1987 124 diesel are in row #18.

Re: Dash Speaker not working

I got my 1432-system speaker from Jeff (along with a window regulator) so my guess is he doesn’t have one for 1492 cars.

Good to know about 124s at local yards. I’m only a 20 min drive from Jessup, but unfortunately getting free time to get there will be very difficult for me. What color is the wagon (exterior and interior)? Do you recall if it is non-ASR? I could probably get a ton of stuff from it if I had time. Maybe it’s worth talking a part day off work.

Any thoughts on whether the sound issue is from the speaker?

Also, my assumption is that, after 25 years, the paper cones in W124 speakers are getting tired so a new one will sound noticeably better. If that’s the case, I’m tempted to go for a new one (assuming they’re still available—I found it on Naperville’s site for $57 but as we know just because it’s listed doesn’t mean it’s available).

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

You can find everything about the cars here: https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/loca...p-206/recents/

Type in Mercedes to the blank and it will come up with most of the Benzes in their yard. They keep it up to date.

The wagon is black; but it's been there a few weeks now so it's fairly well picked over. The sedan is new, and pretty complete. Both cars had ASR and both still have their ASR and engine computers. I think both cars have their speakers in the dash. You'll need a flat-blade screwdriver and a Philips head to get them out. I'd remove both cars' speakers and buy them. Then you can sell the spares. Get the rear door speakers from the wagon, if they are still there.

Then there's the E420 that is there, and it's fairly complete still. It has the first-gear start valve body and intermediate plate, if you want that. That should be worth $300+ to sell to someone.

Generally if the speaker cones haven't seen too much sun, they are OK even after a long time. If you are going to bother to replace them, I'd get drop-in replacements like Rainbows, which sound far better and are simple to install. I have Rainbows in my E500 as well as the former 1995 E320 wagon I used to own. I also replaced the rear door speakers in that E320 wagon with new Benz speakers; as I recall they weren't horribly expensive.

My advice is to leave at 8AM and get to the yard when they open at 9AM. Get what you need to, get in and then out again by 10 AM, and then go to work from there. Don't bother going late in the day. You could be back at work by 11AM or noon.

The usual problem with failed old Benz speakers is not tired cones but interupted windings of the voice coil.
    Easy to test for with any old meter, should have uninterrupted electrical continuity from one unconnected speaker terminal to the other.

My '94 wagon came to me with only 2 of 6 working speakers, one dash and one opposite rear door.
    Fortunately it also came with a pair of excellent correct size drop-in Infinity Reference speakers for the dash, and a nice sounding appropriately sized pair of Scosche speakers for the rear doors.
    Now installed, quite pleased, still working on the front door bass speakers...

I have Rainbows in my coupe dash (which were $100/pr cheaper when I bought them than they are now); the Infinity's sound every bit as good.

I would not buy new MBz speakers, they're just not that hot; working and used, at fair money (practiically nothing) would only be worth it to me in a noisy car, and not for the dash.
    Last edited by northNH; 07-15-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    '92 300CE Black/burgundy Sportlined
    '94 320TE Silver/gray
    '86 BMW 635CSi Black/black 5spd
    '67 Volvo Amazon wagon Green/green 75Kmi time capsule
    '62 Volvo Amazon Black/red 4Dr 65Kmi time capsule

.036 Hooniganô
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    The driver’s side dash speaker on my 1994 wagon isn’t working. Usually it is totally silent but occasionally it emits some screeching sounds. Is this likely to be a speaker problem or something else? I don’t want to buy a new speaker to find the problem is still there.
    Screeching sounds are almost certainly not the speaker, but rather the source (head unit, or amplifier). The speaker failures are either no sound at all, or poor sound (cracking / popping / intermittent). For a test, swap your existing dash speakers left to right. Best part is, that's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    Another question - did the dash speakers change for 1432 vs 1492 systems? I bought a used speaker but it has a different part number and different connectors than the one in the car.
    The EPC indicates the speaker part numbers did indeed change for the wagons between 1432 & 1492 systems, however I don't know if they are actually different. Are both marked with the same impedance rating (6 ohm, IIRC)?

The 124.036 shows the same dash speakers for all years, btw (a third, different, part number vs the wagon dash speakers... odd.)

The front door bass speakers in the 320 1492 system are 2 ohm; the other 4 speakers are 4 ohm, unlike the corresponding 6 ohm ones used with the 1432.

True at least for the '94-'95 320's...
    '92 300CE Black/burgundy Sportlined
    '94 320TE Silver/gray
    '86 BMW 635CSi Black/black 5spd
    '67 Volvo Amazon wagon Green/green 75Kmi time capsule
    '62 Volvo Amazon Black/red 4Dr 65Kmi time capsule

8. The Following User Says Thank You to northNH For This Useful Post:

gsxr (07-15-2018)

Captruff helped me out with my flaky right dash speaker in my 1994 E500. He pulled a used one from his stash and no more problems after I installed it.
    RicardoD
    1990 964 C4 / 1991 964 C2 tip
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

Quote Originally Posted by northNH View Post
    The front door bass speakers in the 320 1492 system are 2 ohm; the other 4 speakers are 4 ohm, unlike the corresponding 6 ohm ones used with the 1432.

True at least for the '94-'95 320's...
    That sounds right. The dash speaker is 4 ohm and has part # 124 820 39 02.

.036 Hooniganô
    E500E Boffin

Re: 1995 S124 wagon - Dash Speaker not working

Forgot to mention... all wagons have the "Active Bass" system, with single large amplifier, with either 1432 or 1492 head units.

All USA-spec .034/.036 have the "Sound System" with twin small amplifiers, with either 1432 or 1492 head units.