Thread: Can I get some help ID-ing some oil leaks ?

Can I get some help ID-ing some oil leaks ?

Hey guys, I've got some oil leaks and I was wondering if I could get some help identifying some with the attached pictures. I know its hard to do this by looking at pictures but I figure you all have much more experience than I do so maybe you guys will be able to give some ideas just by looking at the pictures.

The first 3 pictures are looking down at the PS pump and the 4th through 6th are looking up at the bottom of the PS fluid reservoir. It seems like the bottom seal of the reservoir is the culprit of all the oil and not the seal of the pump right ? Also, I will change the reservoir to pump rubber hose as well as the high pressure braided hose coming out of the pump while I'm at it.

The 7th and 8th are looking at the front of the left bank and the 9th and 10th are looking at the front of the right bank. It seems like the oil on the connectors is from the distributor oil seal right ? Not sure what the oil on the front of the engine block could be. Was thinking it might be the valve cover seals but that should be much higher up...

Thanks for everyone's time !
    Attached Images Attached Images

E500E Guru

Re: Can I get some help ID-ing some oil leaks ?

cam magnets are leaking, and you'll have to replace the reservior gasket/hose to get at the driver's side. High-pressure hoses are pretty reliable. There is the PS low pressure one.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

dorifuto.boi (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by dorifuto.boi View Post
    The first 3 pictures are looking down at the PS pump and the 4th through 6th are looking up at the bottom of the PS fluid reservoir. It seems like the bottom seal of the reservoir is the culprit of all the oil and not the seal of the pump right ? Also, I will change the reservoir to pump rubber hose as well as the high pressure braided hose coming out of the pump while I'm at it.
    Looks like you need to do the reseroir re-seal dance... change the hose between reservoir & pump inlet, and change the reservoir base gasket w hile you're in there. I'd also look closely at the S-shaped hose between the engine and frame rail while you have the PS system half empty. The pump itself very rarely leaks PS fluid, when the pump does leak it's usually out the front shaft seal, and it will leak SLS fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by dorifuto.boi View Post
    The 7th and 8th are looking at the front of the left bank and the 9th and 10th are looking at the front of the right bank. It seems like the oil on the connectors is from the distributor oil seal right ? Not sure what the oil on the front of the engine block could be. Was thinking it might be the valve cover seals but that should be much higher up...
    The engine oil leak is probably from the cam solenoids... if you are lucky you only need to remove / reseal them, however based on the oil present at the electrical connector, it looks like the solenoid itself may be leaking out the electrical connector. You can either repair it (click here) or replace. If the valve cover gaskets haven't been replaced yet, you need to pull them to inspect chain rails anyway (and chain stretch), then install new OE gaskets on both valve covers. Don't forget new copper washers for the 18 bolts, and the special hex driver to access the rear/lower bolt without filling the swear jar.

That said... the ONLY way to pinpoint leaks is to clean everything spotless, then drive the car and watch where oil re-appears. Stuffing white paper towels around suspected areas will help.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (3 Weeks Ago), dorifuto.boi (2 Weeks Ago), Hakie (3 Weeks Ago)

Wow thanks for the quick replies !!

I looked into it yesterday and I will change the reservoir cap gasket, filter, bottom gasket, that short hose between the reservoir and pump, as well as the copper washer for the nipple that the hose attaches to on the reservoir side. I will also check out that S shaped hose as well as the low pressure return hose.

Thanks for the link to the solenoid repair ! I will go that route after I get the reservoir removed.

Really appreciate you all sharing the knowledge !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dorifuto.boi For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)