Thread: My 500E underside visual inspection video

My 500E underside visual inspection video

Hello all,

Here is my 'warts and all' 500E underside visual inspection video. I hope you enjoy the video (of course you will - it's a 500E!) and of course I welcome everyones suggestions/comments, more particuarly around anything which looks "wrong" - before you do, few points to get out the way:

- Front shocks will be getting replaced soon (still not sure if I will go with OEM Sachs or Koni Sport Adjustables yet)
    - Brake calipers will be getting replaced soon (checking the situation on LCAs first - see below)
    - Lower control arm bushes will all be changed (don't really have the budget for facelift MB LCAs (as $500/each here in Dubai) so I will either change the bushes and keep the existing LCA (pending confirmation on whether the Porsche calipers will clear them) or purchase Lemforder/Febi updated LCAs)
    - Exhaust rubber hangers have now been replaced apart from those for the backbox (minimum order size at MB is 25 here) - i've got some in the UK I will take with me next time
    - Catalyst delete pipes are going to be replaced with Magnaflow catalysts, followed by a Fox Y-pipe (to replace/delete the resonator) and Fox backbox (probably, to replace the Brabus replica backbox)
    - Brake calipers are covered in fluid as the brakes were being bled
    - Coolant leak relates to damaged heater hose on the passenger side (see my other post) - drivers and passengers hoses will get replaced

It would be great to know if anything looks obviously damaged or missing. Also does the transmission mount look quite low? Didn't manage to get that checked in the end properly.

Cheers,
    Bill

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to e500.org For This Useful Post:

Eno (07-28-2018), Hakie (07-28-2018), Taxi Driver (07-28-2018), TerryA (07-28-2018)

Re: My 500E underside visual inspection video

Bill, if I am not mistaken from the fast moving video, I saw a plastic clip from the cable hanging on the ASR bracket missing.
    There are 3 in total and part nr is as below:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eno For This Useful Post:

e500.org (07-28-2018), TerryA (07-28-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Bill,

Your front LCA's need work... bushings are visibly tired, and BJ boots are cracked. You can refurb with new bushings & new BJ's, although as you said these early LCA's don't offer the additional 6mm clearance you get with late LCA's. New OE bushings are not cheap, and Lemforder bushings are no longer reboxed OEM, however last I ch ecked you could still get complete early LCA's from Lemforder that are reboxed OEM at a reasonable price (had been $175-$200 USD each in USA). Keep in mind that for the late LCA's, there are no aftermarket OEM available, and you do not want anything besides OE/Genuine. And, the clearance issue is at the rotor, not the caliper. If you plan to use the CLK63 six-pot calipers with 360x32 rotors, those have similar backspacing as the Silver Arrow rotors, so you either need late LCA's, or will have to significantly grind the early LCA's for clearance.

The SLS hydroleg appears to have some dampness at the bottom, around 0:06 in the video. If those are old / original, I'd replace them. If it's not currently in the budget, at least pull up the dust boot and see if the foam stop buffer is intact. Trans mount looks a bit low, but a new one will look similar after a few months in place, so you'll need to pull it out and evaluate condition. New ones are available OE only, no aftermarket that I know of. Front flex disc bolts have the washers in the wrong location (if present at all), the washer should go against the flex disc, not the flange. I don't see any washers on the front flex disc, but they might all be on the opposite side. Rear has the washer position correct (for what's visible).

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

e500.org (07-28-2018), maw1124 (07-28-2018), TerryA (07-28-2018)

And there we have, in three posts, work that amounts to at least $3k of GVZ’s $5k deferred maintenance guide rule. When you factor in the things that’ll be changed “while you’re in there” and virtually any electronics (LH, EZL, harnesses) and/or virtually any transmission work (seconds long reverse engagement), and you’re probably over $5k. And you haven’t even touched the stereo, which I consider a deferred maintenance item (it just has to go).

This is all a small price to pay for what the car yields in return, IMO. But for people making a “dollar per horsepower” decision, there are likely better candidates out there. But if you’re after a W124 because it’s a W124, but need to just not totally roll over in the performance department, the E5E is for you. And the deferred maintenance makes for a good hobby project. Again, IMO.

maw

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

e500.org (07-28-2018), makemann (07-29-2018), TerryA (07-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Eno View Post
    Bill, if I am not mistaken from the fast moving video, I saw a plastic clip from the cable hanging on the ASR bracket missing.

Thanks Eno! Sorry lack of experience on my part - where do these sit exactly? Cheers, Bill

10. The Following User Says Thank You to e500.org For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Bill,
    Your front LCA's need work... bushings are visibly tired, and BJ boots are cracked. You can refurb with new bushings & new BJ's, although as you said these early LCA's don't offer the additional 6mm clearance you get with late LCA's. New OE bushings are not cheap, and Lemforder bushings are no longer reboxed OEM, however last I ch ecked you could still get complete early LCA's from Lemforder that are reboxed OEM at a reasonable price (had been $175-$200 USD each in USA). Keep in mind that for the late LCA's, there are no aftermarket OEM available, and you do not want anything besides OE/Genuine. And, the clearance issue is at the rotor, not the caliper. If you plan to use the CLK63 six-pot calipers with 360x32 rotors, those have similar backspacing as the Silver Arrow rotors, so you either need late LCA's, or will have to significantly grind the early LCA's for clearance.
    Thanks Dave! Agreed they're knackered. I'm worried about trimming the existing LCA as I think there may be a risk of weakening the arm? I priced up the OEM parts from the main dealer for the existing LCA and they're reasonable, but as you say with a pending brake upgrade in the next 6 months or so it makes sense to fit the updated LCAs now. I heard about TRW LCA's - are they still avaliable to buy? Can't get them from the suppliers I've checked with here.

The SLS hydroleg appears to have some dampness at the bottom, around 0:06 in the video. If those are old / original, I'd replace them. If it's not currently in the budget, at least pull up the dust boot and see if the foam stop buffer is intact.
    Yes they are slightly damp. I understand they are original or at least have not been changed since the car came to the UAE in the last 8 years. I will pull up the dust boot and check if the buffer is still intact. There is no knocking from these shocks at the moment.

Trans mount looks a bit low, but a new one will look similar after a few months in place, so you'll need to pull it out and evaluate condition. New ones are available OE only, no aftermarket that I know of.
    Yes it does look a little low to me too. The new OEM ones are not too expensive so I may renew this part. I will ask the shop to check it next time it's in.

Front flex disc bolts have the washers in the wrong location (if present at all), the washer should go against the flex disc, not the flange. I don't see any washers on the front flex disc, but they might all be on the opposite side. Rear has the washer position correct (for what's visible).
    Thanks for the eagle eye spot there! I'll check if they're around the other side, if not I'll have to order some (if I can) and get them fitted.

Thanks again for having a look

12. The Following User Says Thank You to e500.org For This Useful Post:

TerryA (07-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
    And there we have, in three posts, work that amounts to at least $3k of GVZ’s $5k deferred maintenance guide rule. When you factor in the things that’ll be changed “while you’re in there” and virtually any electronics (LH, EZL, harnesses) and/or virtually any transmission work (seconds long reverse engagement), and you’re probably over $5k. And you haven’t even touched the stereo, which I consider a deferred maintenance item (it just has to go).

This is all a small price to pay for what the car yields in return, IMO. But for people making a “dollar per horsepower” decision, there are likely better candidates out there. But if you’re after a W124 because it’s a W124, but need to just not totally roll over in the performance department, the E5E is for you. And the deferred maintenance makes for a good hobby project. Again, IMO.

maw
    Thanks Maw for having a look. Not sure I follow your comment about the stereo however? Yes many cars can be bought for similar $ or much cheaper once you're into it (W204 C63, etc.) but unfortunatly they don't have the soul or the feeling the E500E gives you. For me, the E500E is about ownership, not all about driveability.

Certainly some deferred maintence on this one, I would say $5-$7k to get it in very good condition. I paid a reasonable price in the first place however and most of it is routine maintanance items. It is a well looked after example generally and has been reguarly driven since it came to the UAE in 2011. Unfortunatly the PO parked it for 12 months and this is when gremlins start to surface.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e500.org For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (08-17-2018), TerryA (07-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by e500.org View Post
    Thanks Maw for having a look. Not sure I follow your comment about the stereo however? Yes many cars can be bought for similar $ or much cheaper once you're into it (W204 C63, etc.) but unfortunatly they don't have the soul or the feeling the E500E gives you. For me, the E500E is about ownership, not all about driveability.

Certainly some deferred maintence on this one, I would say $5-$7k to get it in very good condition. I paid a reasonable price in the first place however and most of it is routine maintanance items. It is a well looked after example generally and has been reguarly driven since it came to the UAE in 2011. Unfortunatly the PO parked it for 12 months and this is when gremlins start to surface.
    Bill, my stereo comment may have nothing to do with your car. It was about E5Es generally and GVZ’s $5k deferred maintenance guidance. I include the stereo as part of that $5k. Again, general comments using your car as just the latest example. No flame or shade intended on you or your car.

Cheers,

maw

16. The Following User Says Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

e500.org (08-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
    Bill, my stereo comment may have nothing to do with your car. It was about E5Es generally and GVZ’s $5k deferred maintenance guidance. I include the stereo as part of that $5k. Again, general comments using your car as just the latest example. No flame or shade intended on you or your car.

Cheers,

maw
    Thanks maw. No offence taken, the car was actually supplied with the original Becker unit and cabling which I will retain for originality, however I will be fitting an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth functionality etc. I will also change the speakers and wiring at the same time so the sound system is sorted once and for all. I used Rainbow speakers in the past and they seem to fit and work well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to e500.org For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (08-17-2018)

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Eno View Post

Eno ,do you by any chance have this bracket New ,For sale ?
    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

Quote Originally Posted by lowman View Post
    Eno ,do you by any chance have this bracket New ,For sale ?
    Hello Stefan, yes the bracket is new, I purchased it in Japan, I will used it on my Midnight Blue 1992 restoration, sorry.