Thread: OWNER - imdbui

OWNER - imdbui

Hello Everyone!

My name is Duy and I'm been lurking the forums for a bit but have recently acquired my first 500E from Trofim4uk/Andrey (listed in classifieds).

Andrey imported the 92' euro-spec 500E from Japan, where it had been stored away since 2011 (last documented service). From what I've pieced together, is that this Italy delivered 500E was imported to Japan in 2002 by the previous owner (not Trofim4uk) who made a few asthetic changes to the front end (facelift, grill, side marker delete, paint).

The story is, the car sat in this mansion and the previous owner just wanted it sold since it had sat after having issues running. Having traveled to Japan, I've experienced that most Japanese guys can be very private, and not interested in disclosing any personal information or entertaining small talk (unless after hours with collegues and saki). So the 036 was sold with one key and no books/records and hurried off the $3.5M property (which is understandable).

Trofim4uk, who has been importing wheels from Japan, brings back this neglected 71k mile 500E and has some issues keeping it running (documented in his owner thread). He got some flame for "flipping it," but the guy has his hands full with MBs (and two young kids). He's a straight up dude and assisted in getting all the documents together at the DMV as we got it registered. I was stoked to pick up this forgotten beast and get it back on the road.

There's lots of deferred maintenance so there's a laundry list of things to get it road worthy, but first I need to get the fuel situation figured out so I can get it to DEQ.

This forum looks like a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for reading and I plan to update with some more progress as things come along.

Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

a777fan (1 Week Ago), Duh_Vinci (1 Week Ago), Eno (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), Jlaa (1 Week Ago), KoLoS (1 Week Ago), lowman (1 Week Ago), LWB250 (1 Week Ago), outrbnks (1 Week Ago), r44raven (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: OWNER - imdbui

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the forum!

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

imdbui (1 Week Ago)

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

Welcome to the forum..and congratulations.
    They look soooooo good in full silver color.Looking forward seeing more of this one .
    Greetings
    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

Quote Originally Posted by imdbui View Post
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Duy and I'm been lurking the forums for a bit but have recently acquired my first 500E from Trofim4uk/Andrey (listed in classifieds).

There's lots of deferred maintenance so there's a laundry list of things to get it road worthy, but first I need to get the fuel situation figured out so I can get it to DEQ.
    It is very encouraging to hear that your first thoughts are “laundry list of deferred maintenance” as opposed to stereo/cosmetic/wheels/etc.

looking forward to the updates....
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    It is very encouraging to hear that your first thoughts are “laundry list of deferred maintenance” as opposed to stereo/cosmetic/wheels/etc.

looking forward to the updates....
    Thanks Jlaa, I figured this wasn't Honda-tech or e46fanatics so no one here would know how many watts I need to power my 12" JBLs. I'll save that for another post.

I've spent lots of time on clubgwagen and thesamba. Deferred maintenance is pretty much always expected.

Here's the driveway company...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzaFj8F...d=z60xhe7ltrbp

8. The Following User Says Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by imdbui View Post
    Thanks Jlaa, I figured this wasn't Honda-tech or e46fanatics so no one here would know how many watts I need to power my 12" JBLs. I'll save that for another post.
    Hahahahah. Au contraire. Audio is ok as long as it is period correct. Which means Nakamichi/old school Alpine/Soundstream/PPI/ads/MB Quart only.

Just kidding. Kind of. I havent done anything to the audio other than add Bluetooth to the BE1432

love the driveway companions....
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

Quote Originally Posted by lowman View Post
    Welcome to the forum..and congratulations.
    They look soooooo good in full silver color.Looking forward seeing more of this one .
    Greetings
    Thanks lowman!

I had never been into silver much, but with age (wisdom), the silver just starts to accumulate. I guess I prefer it now.

I will probably need to send off the G to support the E, but they would have looked good together.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

lowman (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    Hahahahah. Au contraire. Audio is ok as long as it is period correct. Which means Nakamichi/old school Alpine/Soundstream/PPI/ads/MB Quart only.

Just kidding. Kind of. I havent done anything to the audio other than add Bluetooth to the BE1432

love the driveway companions....
    Oh yeah, all I usually need is Bluetooth. OEM head units would be fine. There's a shop in town (musicarnw.com) that has done some awesome custom installs to keep everything looking OEM but using newest audio components. It'd be pretty difficult to find any Nakamichi that have been deteriorated. And last I've seen, Sears was selling Nakamichi branded Bluetooth portable speakers!?