Thread: OWNER - imdbui

OWNER - imdbui

Hello Everyone!

My name is Duy and I'm been lurking the forums for a bit but have recently acquired my first 500E from Trofim4uk/Andrey (listed in classifieds).

Andrey imported the 92' euro-spec 500E from Japan, where it had been stored away since 2011 (last documented service). From what I've pieced together, is that this Italy delivered 500E was imported to Japan in 2002 by the previous owner (not Trofim4uk) who made a few asthetic changes to the front end (facelift, grill, side marker delete, paint).

The story is, the car sat in this mansion and the previous owner just wanted it sold since it had sat after having issues running. Having traveled to Japan, I've experienced that most Japanese guys can be very private, and not interested in disclosing any personal information or entertaining small talk (unless after hours with collegues and saki). So the 036 was sold with one key and no books/records and hurried off the $3.5M property (which is understandable).

Trofim4uk, who has been importing wheels from Japan, brings back this neglected 71k mile 500E and has some issues keeping it running (documented in his owner thread). He got some flame for "flipping it," but the guy has his hands full with MBs (and two young kids). He's a straight up dude and assisted in getting all the documents together at the DMV as we got it registered. I was stoked to pick up this forgotten beast and get it back on the road.

There's lots of deferred maintenance so there's a laundry list of things to get it road worthy, but first I need to get the fuel situation figured out so I can get it to DEQ.

This forum looks like a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for reading and I plan to update with some more progress as things come along.

Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

a777fan (08-04-2018), Duh_Vinci (08-04-2018), Eno (08-04-2018), gsxr (08-04-2018), Jlaa (08-04-2018), KoLoS (08-10-2018), lowman (08-04-2018), LWB250 (08-04-2018), nocfn (08-26-2018), outrbnks (08-04-2018), r44raven (08-04-2018), sheward (08-04-2018), TerryA (08-04-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: OWNER - imdbui

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the forum!

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

imdbui (08-04-2018)

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

Welcome to the forum..and congratulations.
    They look soooooo good in full silver color.Looking forward seeing more of this one .
    Greetings
    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

Quote Originally Posted by imdbui View Post
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Duy and I'm been lurking the forums for a bit but have recently acquired my first 500E from Trofim4uk/Andrey (listed in classifieds).

There's lots of deferred maintenance so there's a laundry list of things to get it road worthy, but first I need to get the fuel situation figured out so I can get it to DEQ.
    It is very encouraging to hear that your first thoughts are “laundry list of deferred maintenance” as opposed to stereo/cosmetic/wheels/etc.

looking forward to the updates....
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    It is very encouraging to hear that your first thoughts are “laundry list of deferred maintenance” as opposed to stereo/cosmetic/wheels/etc.

looking forward to the updates....
    Thanks Jlaa, I figured this wasn't Honda-tech or e46fanatics so no one here would know how many watts I need to power my 12" JBLs. I'll save that for another post.

I've spent lots of time on clubgwagen and thesamba. Deferred maintenance is pretty much always expected.

Here's the driveway company...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzaFj8F...d=z60xhe7ltrbp

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (08-04-2018), TerryA (08-26-2018)

Thanks Jlaa, I figured this wasn't Honda-tech or e46fanatics so no one here would know how many watts I need to power my 12" JBLs. I'll save that for another post.
    Hahahahah. Au contraire. Audio is ok as long as it is period correct. Which means Nakamichi/old school Alpine/Soundstream/PPI/ads/MB Quart only.

Just kidding. Kind of. I havent done anything to the audio other than add Bluetooth to the BE1432

love the driveway companions....
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by lowman View Post
    Welcome to the forum..and congratulations.
    They look soooooo good in full silver color.Looking forward seeing more of this one .
    Greetings
    Thanks lowman!

I had never been into silver much, but with age (wisdom), the silver just starts to accumulate. I guess I prefer it now.

I will probably need to send off the G to support the E, but they would have looked good together.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

lowman (08-04-2018), TerryA (08-26-2018)

Hahahahah. Au contraire. Audio is ok as long as it is period correct. Which means Nakamichi/old school Alpine/Soundstream/PPI/ads/MB Quart only.

Just kidding. Kind of. I havent done anything to the audio other than add Bluetooth to the BE1432

love the driveway companions....
    Oh yeah, all I usually need is Bluetooth. OEM head units would be fine. There's a shop in town (musicarnw.com) that has done some awesome custom installs to keep everything looking OEM but using newest audio components. It'd be pretty difficult to find any Nakamichi that have been deteriorated. And last I've seen, Sears was selling Nakamichi branded Bluetooth portable speakers!?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-26-2018)

Update. After getting it back to the shop, first thing was to get the fuel tank cleaned out. It was pretty rusty inside and obviously sat for a long time. I'm surprised Trofim4uk was able to drive it.

Pulled the tank and found that the line leading to the pumps where clogged of the black tar goop. New fuel filter and pumps ordered as well as a fuel tank reseal kit.

As maintenance, there was a hydraulic fluid leak at the reservoir. So replaced the leaking hose and also did valve cover gasket, new plugs and belt. Glad to see that much of the underside was pretty clean. A tiny leak at the oil pan gasket, but that won't seem to be a major issue for awhile.

This is my first w124, so I'm not too familiar with what's original and what isn't. But the door lock knobs have been replaced with these blinking red LEDs that are wired to the side mirror defrosters. They cause a parasitic draw. Where can I source OEM ones?

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

Eno (08-26-2018), gsxr (08-26-2018), Jlaa (08-26-2018), TerryA (08-26-2018)

Fuel tank cleaning is mandatory.
    That’s very good that you checked that.
    I plan to do the same in one of mine 500E’s when I start the restoration process.
    What did you use for the tank cleaning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eno For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-26-2018)

Where are you located determines best place for parts.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-26-2018)

Welcome aboard Duy!!!

The Silver/Black is one of my favorite color combos on the E500E. It looks like you jumped in w/ both feet on the deferred maintenance. A wise move IMOP.

Hope to see more pics and commentary in the future.

BYW, Where are you located? It helps us help you to know your location. That sounds good but really we’re just nosy. Ha!

Good Luck w/ your new ride!!
    Terry

Its pretty much a kit like this: https://www.kbs-coatings.com/Auto-Fu...ealer-Kit.html

Quote Originally Posted by Eno View Post
    What did you use for the tank cleaning?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

Eno (08-26-2018)

Thanks TerryA!

The paint and interior looks great. Even the lower cladding repaint looks well done. The interior trim is Bird's Eye Maple. Which I've only heard of being on Limiteds? Being a 92' I'm guessing someone had the wood trim replaced... Or was BEM an option outside of US?

Maintenance is a no brainier for me, I couldn't comfortably drive not knowing the conditions of the car. With this one, I didn't get any service history, and it having sat for so long, these things were a necessity.

I'm in/around Portland, OR. Would love to know if anyone else is nearby!

Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    Welcome aboard Duy!!!

The Silver/Black is one of my favorite color combos on the E500E. It looks like you jumped in w/ both feet on the deferred maintenance. A wise move IMOP.

Hope to see more pics and commentary in the future.

BYW, Where are you located? It helps us help you to know your location. That sounds good but really we’re just nosy. Ha!

Good Luck w/ your new ride!!

Love �� it! Thanks for sharing pictures. Personal opinion - please fit the orig Becker headunit in there. If the wirimg harness for the crazy Becker system is too hacked up to use, and you do not wish to refit the orig wiring harness, then at least fit a period correct aftermarket headunit.
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-28-2018)

Decided to go with R129 SA brake set up since I was going to do brakes anyway. And Jeff (captruff) had a shiny set that would look good behind a set of painted EVOII's I got from Trofim4uk. So those are on now. On the earlier models, the dust shield needed to be trimmed to fit the rotors, so I removed most of the rear shields since it felt like it would have rattled. Not pretty, but it'll never be seen.

EVOII's will be wrapped with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2.

Also replaced the front lower control arms to make sure I had late model version to fit the brakes. New tie rods, steering dampener, and center link.

Not sure about these yellow springs, but ordered some new Bilsteins for the fronts to see how it feels. Only markings on them is X-Springs.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

gsxr (08-26-2018), Jlaa (08-26-2018)

Jlaa! Thanks!

Sounds like we have the same preferences. Where can I find one? I haven't pulled the head unit, but while removing the fuel tank, I noticed the harness to the amp in the trunk has some wires cut. Probably to install aftermarket speakers that are powered by the aftermarket head unit.

Stereo is pretty low on the list, but if it's plug and play, I'd much rather have an OEM look.
    Love �� it! Thanks for sharing pictures. Personal opinion - please fit the orig Becker headunit in there. If the wirimg harness for the crazy Becker system is too hacked up to use, and you do not wish to refit the orig wiring harness, then at least fit a period correct aftermarket headunit.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-28-2018)

After removing the fuel tank and prepping it, I discovered it's in worse shape than expected.

I'm going to need a new tank, preferably the correct 90L tank. What are my options?

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

gsxr (08-26-2018), TerryA (08-28-2018)

Oh this is so nice to see - both feet in and a commitment to maintenance. 90L tank - wrecked E500E or a E300D maybe? http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...swap-pics.html

the other gasser w124s came w 70L tanks. Can Tom Hanson at classic center find one? Or maybe Robert Fenton in Marin?
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-W124...-/202087851534

Found 2 part#'s:

Does anyone know if either would work? TIA

36. The Following User Says Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-28-2018)

Thanks Jlaa!

Looks like E300D part is stocked. 1244700004

I messaged the eBay seller to see what shipping may look like. Could save a few bucks that way.

I guess I should have sourced a new tank to begin with. But didn't think it was in such bad shape. The hole was at the top of the tank and against the back of the trunk, hidden from inspection. I didn't even notice it after pulling it out. At least it'll get a new sending unit now.
    Oh this is so nice to see - both feet in and a commitment to maintenance. 90L tank - wrecked E500E or a E300D maybe? http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...swap-pics.html

the other gasser w124s came w 70L tanks. Can Tom Hanson at classic center find one? Or maybe Robert Fenton in Marin?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-28-2018)

Hopefully you can still buy a new 90L tank and they dont cone back with NLA. Else — Fenton. For Becker 1432 - the nice thing about it is that you can get Bluetooth on it with zero modifications if u are willing to sacrifice the changer in the trunk (which are All broken and not repairable) for an emulator.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/MERCEDES-Beck...ode/1523421088
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-28-2018)

Awesome. Thanks! The changer is non present. I assume a Bluetooth adapter plugs into the changer inputs on the stereo? "Sounds" like that's what I'm gonna do!
    Hopefully you can still buy a new 90L tank and they dont cone back with NLA. Else — Fenton. For Becker 1432 - the nice thing about it is that you can get Bluetooth on it with zero modifications if u are willing to sacrifice the changer in the trunk (which are All broken and not repairable) for an emulator.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/MERCEDES-Beck...ode/1523421088

42. The Following User Says Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-28-2018)

Awesome. Thanks! The changer is non present. I assume a Bluetooth adapter plugs into the changer inputs on the stereo? "Sounds" like that's what I'm gonna do!

In Short, yes. You need to get an MB part MX3192 though. They sometimes popup for sale on ebay. Set your alerts now and when you find one later, you will have already worked through the higher priority mechanical maintenance.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/sho...l=1#post137962
    ---
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

imdbui (08-26-2018), TerryA (08-28-2018)

Mercedes Benz of Portland has a parts website. mbpartspros.com. The pricing tends to be a little better than Naperville and you can pick your parts up at MB of Portland parts counter. If you call the parts department you won't get the mbpartspros.com pricing. I have purchased a lot parts through them and the nice part is that if you accidently order the wrong part they will let you return it for full price. Don't ask me how I know that.

I am also in the Portland area and saw this car right after it was imported. I'm actually just a couple miles from Andrey. Andrey purchased some wheels from me for his E320.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

gsxr (08-26-2018), imdbui (08-26-2018), Jlaa (08-26-2018), Klink (08-28-2018), TerryA (08-28-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

There is a discount dealer in Portland that may allow you to get the online pricing, with local pickup. (EDIT - I see Maui was typing at the same time I was, lol.) Definitely easier than trying to ship a tank, assuming you want to get a new one. Might be able to find a used one from a 1995 E300 diesel (the ONLY donor for USA models).

Make sure to also replace the fuel feed hose from tank to pump inlet, and the high pressure hose from filter outlet to the hard line on the chassis. OE/dealer only on these, do not use aftermarket hoses. Photos and part numbers are in this thread, particularly post #3, #8, and #18:
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8977

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

imdbui (08-26-2018), Klink (08-28-2018), TerryA (08-28-2018)

Thanks Maui/gsxr!

So I've looking to order a new tank as well as the rubber from the thank to pumps and from filter to hardlines.

I'm on mbpartspros.com, I don't see the option to have it picked up at MBZPDX, but I may need to be on desktop browser to do that.
    **Edit: got it ordered and saved a bit on shipping costs! Thanks guys!**

Thanks for the advice! Is there anything I've overlooked?

Last edited by imdbui; 08-26-2018 at 03:04 PM.

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

gsxr (08-26-2018), TerryA (08-28-2018)

Thanks Jlaa, this is now on my list... Which seems to keep growing

Fuel Tank came back as NLA.

Trying to hunt down a salvaged one on cart-part.com.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

TerryA (08-28-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The 500E fuel tank part number is slightly different... 124-470-95-01. AFAIK, the 95 diesel tank should still work if you find a used one; it just won't have the "unleaded fuel only" restriction plate at the inlet... but that is available separately.

MB Classic shows the 90L gasoline tank may be available:
    https://partssearch.mercedes-benz-cl...9501?tt=manual

Price is higher though, ~$790:
    https://www.mbpartspros.com/oem-part...ank-1244709501

55. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

nocfn (08-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    The 500E fuel tank part number is slightly different... 124-470-95-01.

Price is higher though, ~$790:
    https://www.mbpartspros.com/oem-part...ank-1244709501

Thanks gsxr! It may be the best bet to get something on a good timely basis.

I'll give it a try.

New tank and hoses came in. Found a Becker stereo too.

58. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

gsxr (09-04-2018), Rouven036 (09-03-2018)

EVOII's on.

60. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imdbui For This Useful Post:

gsxr (09-04-2018), Jlaa (09-04-2018)