Thread: WTB: Light switch cover (for electric steering column and headlamp range adjustment)

WTB: Light switch cover (for electric steering column and headlamp range adjustment)

I am looking for a cover for the light switch from a car with electric steering column and vacuum-controlled headlamp range adjustment, part nr 124 680 21 65.

Just retrofitted the electric steering column, but found out that I have ordered this part for cars without the adjustable headlamps and the one I need is NLA.

The first picture is the part I need, the second is the part I have...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FreddyJ For This Useful Post:

TerryA (4 Weeks Ago)

Re: Light switch cover (for car with electric steering column)

I have the light switch cover for the electric column, but missing the vacuum switch opening.
    Will keep my eyes open for one for you...

I have been planning to add an electric column to a '94TE, and hope you can share some thoughts about your experience.
    Did you also add memory to the drivers seat; I have little need or interest investing the effort to upgrade the seat.

TIA
    '92 300CE Black/burgundy Sportlined
    '94 320TE Silver/gray
    '86 BMW 635CSi Black/black 5spd
    '67 Volvo Amazon wagon Green/green 75Kmi time capsule
    '62 Volvo Amazon Black/red 4Dr 65Kmi time capsule

You can just take a dremel to the non-electric rosette piece and cut out the required opening to fit the electric steering column. I did the same in my owners thread - you do not need to be very accurate w the cuts and the trim hides everything.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

ace10 (4 Weeks Ago), Klink (4 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    You can just take a dremel to the non-electric rosette piece and cut out the required opening to fit the electric steering column. I did the same in my owners thread - you do not need to be very accurate w the cuts and the trim hides everything.

This is EXACTLY what to do.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (4 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyJ View Post
    I am looking for a cover for the light switch from a car with electric steering column and vacuum-controlled headlamp range adjustment, part nr 124 680 21 65.
    Just retrofitted the electric steering column, but found out that I have ordered this part for cars without the adjustable headlamps and the one I need is NLA.

The first picture is the part I need, the second is the part I have...
    Both items you show in the pictures are for adjustable headlights, one is the early design switch and one if the later model switch. Worse case, just change out the switch. I forget which switch is which, but one has two vacuum inputs and the other has three
    1993 500E
    http://2phast.com/500e/500e-sig.jpg

Re: WTB: Light switch cover (for electric steering column and headlamp range adjustment)

Thank you all! Then I buy the standard cover and use the Dremel

northNH:
    Actually it's very easy to retrofit the electric steering column. But make sure you get the correct steering column, the MOPF2 cars (7/'93+) have longer splines where the steering wheel is mounted because of a different slip ring and the earlier ones won't fit (been there done that). The cover around the steering column is also different (the bolt circle for the three bolts).

If you don't want the memory function the wiring is very easy (but make sure to get the wiring with the column too), just pull a cable out to the fuse box and another to ground. With memory is more complicated (my car already had memory seats), the memory is stored in the memory box below the driver seat. I ended up buying a brand new wiring harness for the driver seat with memory and electric steering column. No problem to fit but it's very expensive for some meters with cables... Actually I ordered the harness before I found out that I got the wrong steering column, and when I found the right column the wiring was included. Not complete as the one I bought but probably just to connect the steering column to the box below the driver seat. The steering column for memory and without memory is by the way the same.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreddyJ For This Useful Post:

northNH (4 Weeks Ago), sheward (4 Weeks Ago)