Thread: How much for 200k mile, good condition 92 500E?

How much for 200k mile, good condition 92 500E?

What is the current market for a high mileage Pearl black/black 92 500E? 2 owner California car, well cared for with good records with wear commensurate with usage and age (ie a good driver). My sense is somewhere in the $15-18k range depending on aesthetic and functional condition. Values on here, BaT, and eBay seem to vary a lot, so while this one seems like a good example, the mileage sets something of a ceiling on its price relative to other examples.

Sorry if this is in the wrong area but I didn't think it belonged in 'off topic' or somewhere else.

Re: How much for 200k mile, good condition 92 500E?

Post a vin and some pics. We may know all about it. But mo matter the price, its goi g to cost 5-10k more to correct deferred mx items most likely.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

This one has had no takers for awhile now at 15k: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12359

(And I didn't know someone loved Dion enough to make it their username.)
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

Thanks, looking at the car tomorrow and will grab as much info as I can - VIN, look thru receipts, etc. If I like the car and it passes the initial sniff test, I'll set up a PPI. I know the line about 'they all need $5k', but how does that usually manifest itself? Sounds like it's a death by 1000 cuts scenario. I'm aware of the major items for a car of this age (SLS system, timing chain, evaporator, fan clutch/cooling system, motor mounts) and my brother had an S124 previously so I have some familiarity with the chassis, but I'd be curious to know what most people need to rectify on these, even well cared for ones.

Lol....loved him on the World Junior team so he became my de facto forum user name. Why change now? doughtydrew just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

Caps wires rotors coils mounts suspension wire harness (2) ETA MAF tires rebuilds of tandem pump brakes rotors transmission.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (4 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    Caps wires rotors coils mounts suspension wire harness (2) ETA MAF tires rebuilds of tandem pump brakes rotors transmission.
    And potentially rusty battery compartment
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

Kip (3 Weeks Ago)

I think your correct in market value for the car as described although it could easily be worth $25k if it has been maintained exceptionally well.. The 5-10K consists of the things you are aware of as well as the regular things always present on a car of this age. Many of these cars just are not maintained, partly due to the way they seem to drive well even when neglected and partly because they were cheap enough not to long ago to end up with owners that really couldn't afford to maintain them. Actual amounts will vary depending on whether the work is performed or paid for. Many of the parts are E500E specific and should only be sourced from acceptable suppliers as well. This adds a layer of cost. I tend to be optimistic about higher mileage cars that don't show to be in a state of neglect.

Some other items commonly needing attention.

Power steering/tandem pump reseal and hoses
    ETA
    front and rear suspension control arms and bushings
    rear struts
    vacuum hoses
    wiring harness, upper and lower

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (4 Weeks Ago)

And what about sagging roof lining, aircon evaporator, heater blower motor and various vacuum pods, non-serviceable rear blind, air cleaner hoses - to name a few more?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r44raven For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (4 Weeks Ago), sheward (4 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Mixing it up a bit... it depends if you just want to keep the car driving nicely with most important items working correctly (i.e. - would you ever really use the rear roller blind, if it's dead?)... or, do you want to restore it to concours condition? If your plan is the former, a clean mid/upper teens car with higher miles would be great. If you want the latter, it may not make sense as the total investment by the time you make everything "perfect" will be awfully high. But if you intend to keep the car for a very long time, that might not be an issue. Very much depends on your intended use, desired condition after fixing it up, and how long you plan to keep it.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (4 Weeks Ago), sheward (4 Weeks Ago)

Took a look at the car this AM with a friend who has owned two and he came away impressed. 225k miles, two owner California car. Most recent owner has had the car since 95, and added most miles until '07...about 10-20k miles since then although has kept up with maintenance and has records since new. Timing chain at 150k miles, a wiring harness receipt for the upper harness (label looked brand new but I neglected to grab the date, receipt was very recent though), need to check the lower, recent motor mounts, etc, etc. We couldn't find any info on a trans replacement, but it looked like PO obeyed religious fluid flush/change intervals and it behaved extremely well - no hesitation at all going into reverse, kicking down, etc. Not sure if this maintenance (and behavior) indicates it's fine to keep running beyond the typical 80-150k life span. Mechanically, three or four issues came up, top of the list were the front shock mounts were cracking at the top (not terrible, but should be replaced) and an oil leak somewhere at the front left (driver side) of the engine. Couldn't tell if it was valve cover or at the head, but it's a decent leak, enough to warrant a PPI. Antenna doesn't go up all the way.

Exterior looks good, could use a detail though. Interior looks solid. Wood looks great for age, drivers seat has been recovered but clearly professionally. Headliner is sagging though, and drivers door card could use some work.

The car is being sold by the daughter of the PO. I'm a car enthusiast like her father, looking to own a great example of one of these cars and would love and care for it, using it as an occasional driver to work and for weekend drives as part of my car club. She was happy to hear all of this. We discussed comps and how while the history is amazing, the mileage sets a bit of a ceiling for the car - another car had sold locally for 25k with 104k miles, and another is being offered in SoCal with 140k miles for 23.5k. The car had been appraised at 19.5k; I thought this was a bit high, so started at 16, thinking we'd do a PPI and end up around 18k. The owner wants more than the appraiser though - 22k - and that's a bit more than I'm willing to spend right now, so we'll see where the negotiation goes as it's a great example of an awesome car.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dionphaneuf For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (4 Weeks Ago), sheward (4 Weeks Ago)

Note that given the PO's overall level of fastidiousness, I was surprised to not see the front strut mount replacement not take place recently when the front struts had been done - they appeared old, and it's a classic 'while you're in there' job that only adds $60 in parts to the job. In any case, it appears that gerryvz has written an excellent document on how to do this that is within my DIY capabilities should I acquire the car so I'm not too concerned, provided I can get the right spring compressor.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dionphaneuf For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (4 Weeks Ago)

Ugh, appraiser my ass. They aren't the ones writing the check.
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by dionphaneuf View Post
    What do you mean?
    People hire appraisers because they have (or think they have) something of worth and want to be justified in thinking this. So the appraiser can shoot on high on it's estimate of value and make the person that is paying them happy. Who wants to hire someone to come and say ''Yeah, I know you think this is worth 20k, but it's only probably worth 12k to a buyer. Here is my bill.'' So the appraisers shoots high, the person is happy and everyone leaves with smiles on their faces.

Unless this appraiser specializes in .036s, then his opinion doesn't mean a whole lot. What means a whole lot is someone coming with a check to buy the thing. Everyone else is just wishes and assumptions.
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

ace10 (4 Weeks Ago), sheward (4 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (4 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If I'm reading correctly, the owner/seller wants more ($22k) than the appraised value ($19.5k). If so, in this case it appears the seller is more of a problem than the appraisal. Based on a few lines of text and zero photos, it does kinda sound like upper teens is a reasonable ballpark.

Strut mounts, fluid leak, and antenna are all negligible items IMO. Not even worth discussing with if you are close on price, at least for DIY repairs. If you are paying a shop then yeah, it could be a $2k+ bill for strut mounts, new Hirschmann, and most likely either a p/s pump+hose replacement or reseal, along with possibly valve cover gaskets or cam advance solenoid reseal/replacement.

Lower-mile cars are almost guaranteed to have similar / equivalent issues, btw, but you feel better because the odometer reading is lower.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

sheward (4 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (4 Weeks Ago)