Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric car real cost comparision

Re: Electric car real cost comparision

Melville,
    Well said. Cheers to that!
    But I must say that the environmental cost of producing a light beer......
    Kidding.
    Cheers!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stevester 500E For This Useful Post:

8899 (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), Melville (3 Weeks Ago), Trae (3 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Electric car real cost comparision

Someone needs to do something about deaths by Electric & hybrid cars. One narrow example, the Prius.

Be careful out there, jlaa....

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

600Eric (2 Weeks Ago), emerydc8 (2 Weeks Ago), Maui (2 Weeks Ago), nocfn (2 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (2 Weeks Ago), Trae (2 Weeks Ago)

I think there is something to be said for investing into future technologies. I love my Hybrid Toyota Hylander for several reasons other than lifetime cost benefits or green considerations. Fact is, as recently as 15 years ago one could barely justify paying the premium for a household LED light bulb purely for its energy savings. Today however, with prices having come down drastically, selection and quality improvements, I don't think it is prudent to spend for an incandescent bulb that burns hot and consumes 7 times the energy for the same lumens output. The heat output of an incandescent alone will increase power consumption to run an AC system in the home or office. The more people get behind alternative techs the quicker the technology will come. Having said this I love my old cars like the rest of us here; I have 4 of them. I don't think it is an Either Or, but rather an AND. Both camps can exists.
    Last edited by Sam SL; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:43 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sam SL For This Useful Post:

Hakie (2 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

I don't think it is prudent to spend for an incandescent bulb that burns hot and consumes 7 times the energy for the same lumens output.
    Speaking of that, I just stocked up on several dozen incandescent 150 watt bulbs on clearance at Lowes for $1 each because I refuse to pay a ridiculous price for an LED (Obama) bulb that in my experience doesn't last nearly as long and doesn't work nearly as well when installed in a work light or even an interior lamp. Green technology is farcical and has been pushed on us for mostly the wrong reasons. Just my 2 cents.
    Jon D.
    1994 E420
    1995 E420

8. The Following User Says Thank You to emerydc8 For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by emerydc8 View Post
    Speaking of that, I just stocked up on several dozen incandescent 150 watt bulbs on clearance at Lowes for $1 each because I refuse to pay a ridiculous price for an LED (Obama) bulb that in my experience doesn't last nearly as long and doesn't work nearly as well when installed in a work light or even an interior lamp. Green technology is farcical and has been pushed on us for mostly the wrong reasons. Just my 2 cents.
    My experience with LED lighting has been quite the opposite. When I built this house almost 10 years ago, I specced halogen lighting. And so, this house was built with 167 recessed lights -- each one using a 50 Watt Ushio brand MR16 bulb. I am pretty picky when it comes to lighting --- no "crap name" light bulbs for me.

Always, as you can imagine, having 8350 watts of recessed lighting available to me made for a very bright, and very hot house --- but the lighting quality was really fantastic.

Last year I replaced nearly every one of the Ushio halogen bulbs with Hyperikon 7 watt LED MR16 retrofits. The beam pattern isn't quite as focused as a good 36* or 60* MR16 and the light quality has a tiny striations of yellow in it that most normal people wouldn't notice at all (I'm as OCD about lighting as I am about the schmutz on my W124's door hinges) but I'll be damned if the light output on modern day MR16 LED retrofits isn't A LOT brighter than 50W MR16 halogens. I was floored. The light output on these hyperikons are spectacular. And the color (when not trying to be be ultra OCD about it) is nearly indistinguishable from a good halogen.

And instead of making my house an oven with 8350 watts of halogen heat, I'm only consuming 1169 watts at full tilt boogie. And I never do that, because its just too bright. I wear my sunglasses at night.

Anyways, I just wanted to have an opportunity to use that lyric.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I’ve had mixed luck with green bulbs going out prematurely in the past. Of course they contain mercury and so in their disposal are worse for the environment than incandescents too.

My brand new Maryland home has mainly LED bulbs and they seem to be much better, and longer lasting, without the mercury hazard.

When I lived in Texas I bought up as many incandescents as I could when the forced phasing of the Obama-bulbs started coming into play.

Obama-bulbs, Obama-care, Obama-phones.....heh...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

emerydc8 (2 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (2 Weeks Ago), nocfn (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

I have remodeled after the Harvey fiasco (no real damage but took stock and remodeled anyway) and the house was built in 87. Every room had can lights, and I retrofit 30 cans with daylight dimmable LED, and went led with every candelabra style and lamp. I must say we got rid of the heat for sure, and we are light and as bright as we could possibly be without tearing off the roof. Very happy with the led - I think we may have 20 mercury squiggly spares or Obama lights.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (2 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I hate keeping this off topic, but had to share my $0.02:

The original green lights, the pigtailed CFC's, were awful. The PO of our house had installed quite a few and we just lived with them for years. When LED's came out they were better, but priced to the moon (read: unaffordable). Just in the past couple of years the price/performance of LED's has come down to the point where it's worth swapping out dead incandescents with LED. In the past year I've started installing some LED's and in general have been content with the results. My remaining gripes with LED is they do not fully dim like incandescent (major issue for me), require LED-compatible dimmer switches (nuisance/expense), and are not commonly available in as many wattages (at least at the big-box stores, HD/Lowes). Jury is out on lifespan, but assuming they are anywhere near rated hours, at current pricing it's still worth it IMO. This assumes you don't mind the "colors" available, and of course there are few if any decorative / antique-look LED's.

Flourescent-tube style shop light LED's are a separate discussion. They're still relatively expensive, and the light pattern is noticeably different compared to flourescent. And, per my wattmeter they don't save as much energy as the specs make it appear they should. And, retrofitting into existing fixtures is a mild PITA as it's best to bypass the ballast. I've only done a couple of my shop lights so far. I'll do more eventually, but I'm waiting for prices to drop further before I go there. They've already come down noticeably (~20%?) in the last year or so.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (2 Weeks Ago)

I replaced my 4 tube fluorescents with LEDs last year. Had to switch out the ballasts (minor PITA) but really impressed with the increased light output.

I needed lights for my workbench so I got a couple of 4' two tube LED fixtures from Costco for $18 apiece. Wow do they put out the light, almost too much...
    1993 500E Signal Red/Parchment
    1987 300TDT Ivory/Palomino
    1995 E320 Cabrio Black/Parchment
    1969 280SL Silver/Green - 1970 280SL Black/Parchmen
    1987 560SL Signal Red/Palomino

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I see my unhinged trolling has re-invigorated the greenie discussion.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

My sole motivation for anything green is to save money. If it doesn't cost less and save money over the long haul why should I waste my time and money?

On a side note: Having spent most of the summer traveling around the Olympic Pennisula looking for our future home I noticed a high percentage of the liberals in Jefferson County drive Prius'. I have no problem with Prius but I also noticed, on the Pennisula, they also consistantly drive an average of 5 mph below the posted speed limit and about 25% drive ten mph below the speed limit and they brake to about 20 mph on all curves. I make the assumption they are liberals by the high percentage of Hillary bumper stickers. Just drive the damn speed limit!

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Tbh that is my beef - under speed driving. It is usually a D (based on bumper stickers) and typically an electric vee - hickle.
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Wow, this thread is so charged with political undercurrents. Pardon the pun.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam SL For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    I have no problem with Prius but I also noticed, on the Pennisula, they also consistantly drive an average of 5 mph below the posted speed limit and about 25% drive ten mph below the speed limit and they brake to about 20 mph on all curves.
    That shows that the area you are looking at is behind the times.
    Where I'm at, the slow-eco drivers are now driving Leafs and 500es (Fiats) and other electric cars. Palo-Alto-Camry notwithstanding.

Folks driving a Prius go warp speed. This is because:

(a) Its a beater
    (b) its cheap
    (c) go ahead - see if I care if I prang up my Prius. If you want my lane, you're gonna have to hit me to get in the lane. You care about your car more than I care about my Prius.

---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (2 Weeks Ago)

Today, on the drive down from Anaheim to San Diego, I saw about 5 Tesla Model S's. They actually look pretty nice.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Stevester 500E For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Up in smoke.’.’..’
    1994 E500

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

Stevester 500E (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Electric car real cost comparision

Yes, let’s chill on the political generalizations & assumptions.

PeachParts is an EXCELLENT forum if y’all want to debate other Benz owners on some pretty fiery political topics & test those assumptions you may have.

From what I’ve seen, Tesla drivers generally tend to go the speed limit or above. My next door neighbor has a Model 3. Not my cup of tea. I actually don’t know how much longer Tesla is going to be around given the ongoing shenanigans of its founder and CEO. Seems he’s coming fallin' apart at the seams.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

sheward (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)