Thread: 400e injector replacement

400e injector replacement

Replacing the injectors on my 1993 400e. When I pulled the old injector about half of the plastic holders that the injector goes into pulled out. The others didn't and are pretty brittle. They also seem to be shoved in the pretty tight. So my plan is to replace the holder/insulators (which term is actually correct?) on all of the cylinders once I get the remaining ones out. Upon pulling them out I keep reading about having to replace an o-ring that goes with the holder? These holders didn't have any o-ring, just a plastic piece that tapers to go into the engine. Am I missing something, or are the O-rings part of the holder itself? My new injectors have both o-rings on them and seem to fit snugly into the holders that popped out, so I'm guessing that's good.

Any help/ideas/photos?

Thanks in advance!

Re: 400e injector replacement

Hi there.

Can you post a photo that illustrates the items you are talking about? The verbal description you have is not translating for me...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

These are what the injectors go into. I think maybe the oring is on the piece.. just faded? Some were pushed pretty deep into the intake, others had their top about.level. When I put it back together it seemed like they were too deep for the injectors to go all the way back in. Even when everything was back in place and bolts exactly where they go. Injectors are identical to old ones. I'm stumped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Dirtleg. Glad you got a response already.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtleg View Post
    These are what the injectors go into. I think maybe the oring is on the piece.. just faded? Some were pushed pretty deep into the intake, others had their top about.level. When I put it back together it seemed like they were too deep for the injectors to go all the way back in. Even when everything was back in place and bolts exactly where they go. Injectors are identical to old ones. I'm stumped.
    Weird. I have no idea what part that is. Was that on the end of the injector that presses into the manifold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it was. I've ordered something that appears to be the same thing. Just haven't seen a lot about them. The fact that the injectors seem to come up short led me to believe that the old "sleeves" were pressed too far in. No idea.

Hrm. What year and specific model are we discussing here?

When I had my 94 E420 apart, the injectors looked like this:

The end is a small black plastic hat. Behind that is a rubber o-ring. Then a small plastic o-ring that you can see in blue. Then its the injector body.

The manifold ports that the injectors pressed into had no other gaskets or rings:

Yes my injectors are like that. Look down in the manifold port. You can see that plastic piece I'm talking about. That top shoulder is the top of that plastic piece. It is tapered and allows the injector to pop in and stay in place. You can kind of see the little depression where the injector o-ring locks in. 1993 400e v8.

I might be forgetting, but Im almost 100% certain that everything youre seeing in that manifold pic is cast Al. Perhaps there was a manufacturing change at some point?

They must have, because about half of them came out with the injectors, the other half I pulled out.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Hi Dirtbag, yes, the nozzle holders that press into the intake manifold IMHO should be replaced when replacing/rebuilding the injectors. They get old and brittle with age, heat and use. Same is true for the M117 engines.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Did you put the holders on the nozzles first and then push them in? It seemed to me like the injectors were almost too short when I tried to reuse the holders that were installed. I know this isn't the case and the fuel rail was positioned right.

Update... injectors replaced. Fired car up and had one injector leaking at the top where it goes into the fuel rail. Took it apart, reseated it and now car won't run. Turns over, fires if I spray a little gas in the intake. Fuel is getting to the fuel rail and obviously has spark. Would a cracked vacuum line keep it from firing all together? I maybe have had some brittle lines that run across the fuel rail that need to be replaced now. Ie. they got broken during the install.