Thread: Engine not getting any gas.

Engine not getting any gas.

My 400e has been sitting for a couple of years and hasn't been started in that time. I've replaced the lower wiring harness and have done some other work to it like replacing the transmission. I drained the old gas out of the car and put in some new gas in a couple of weeks ago. I hooked the battery back up yesterday and tried starting the car and after doing some troubleshooting realized the engine isn't getting any gas. Any idea of what I should check? I'm thinking of changing out the old gas filter, but I'm also thinking I might have a fuel pump issue also.

Also, I noticed when I had the car jacked up yesterday, that I was getting a little bit of gas leaking of the very rear of the car. Sounds like something on the top of the tank is leaking. I have no idea how to get to the gas tank in this car to check it.

JimT

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Engine not getting any gas.

Jim, can you confirm if the fuel pumps run for 2 seconds when you turn the ignition on? If not, figure out why... the fuel pump relay is located under the passenger rear seat cushion, and gets a signal from the LH module. If you manually trigger the relay and the pumps still don't run, the pumps may be seized. Check the fuse in the relay as well. Better yet, check fuel pressure at the rail if you have a gauge; should be 50-60psi when cranking.

Access the fuel tank by removing the carpet in front of it... held in by 2 plastic 2-piece rivets at the top, and slides into grooves in the side carpets. With that out of the way you can access the fuel tank. About the only place it can leak near the top is the level sending unit, which is unlikely. You'll need to get in there and look for the source.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Hakie (2 Weeks Ago), jgt157 (2 Weeks Ago), neviu (2 Weeks Ago)

Engine not getting any gas.

When you turn the on the ignition you should hear the fuel pumps running for a few seconds.
    Pumps are located under the car, under a plastic cover near the right rear seat.

Same time, Dave.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hakie For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Re: Engine not getting any gas.

Yeah, I had no pressure in the fuel rail at all. I disconnected the fuel line and had my wife crank the motor over and was getting no fuel. So I need to remove the rear seat to get to the fuel pump relay. I was listening and didn't hear any noise coming from the fuel pump. I'll check the fuel relay next. Thanks for the info.

JimT

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jgt157 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)