Thread: Advice needed! Value of low-mile E420

Advice needed! Value of low-mile E420

Hello everyone! I just need some advise. I recently acquired a beautiful black 1994 MB E420 from the original owner with 57000 miles. Its a beautiful vehicle in excellent condition but i have no need for it and need to sell it on. My question is what is it worth / what should I ask for it? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Re: Advice needed!

Eleven dollah.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Need a lot more info. Location? VIN? Options? Colors? Service history? Photos? Etc, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (2 Weeks Ago)

Bought new in Michigan but has lived its whole life in Florida. Owned by retired doctor and garage kept. Its black over gray with black leather interior.
    Options shown on original window sticker include: Heated orthopedic front seats, ASR-ACC slip control, rear axle level control, electric rear window sun shade, and rear reading lights. Car is in exceptional condition. Aftermarket rear parking sonar was added at some point but looks factory Only service records are what I can find on CARFAX report. Owner passed and I bought the car from the daughter who was settling his estate so no service records. Fluids and filters are clean and tires look new. Drives straight down the road and pulls strong. VIN #WDBEA34E7RC135156.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Looks like it has a number of options, same as my '95 E420. Sure sounds nice, but photos would help. E420 values are not particularly high at the moment, but something like this should bring a higher than average number. You could always put it on BaT but you'll need 100+ good photos if you go that route (and, if they'll take it).

There are 5 on my profile, but I can't figure out how to put them on this thread. Technology challenged.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Advice needed! Value of low-mile E420

Got 'em:
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Lewk (2 Weeks Ago)

Without knowing what you paid for it, it’s near impossible to put a price out there, as W124 prices are all over the map these days. Some really nice, well maintained ones have pretty much died on the vine in other forums (Fruitbird and BW, for example) at what I considered really good prices - in the sub $3,000 range.

If it were me, I would roll the dice and put it on BAT. It should bring stupid money there.

Otherwise, I would probably offer you $3500 for it if it was in Florida. Don’t take offense to that offer, it’s just a number I’m tossing out.

Dan

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

ace10 (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

mine is a very similar car 98K miles, paid $4k

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to albdentist For This Useful Post:

ace10 (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), LWB250 (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by albdentist View Post
    mine is a very similar car 98K miles, paid $4k
    Thanks for the validation!

I’m not sure what the problem is, but the market just doesn’t seem to be terribly enamoured of this car. I did my due diligence with mine and struggled to get interest at $4k. Granted, mine had a LOT more miles, but I saw cars far nicer than mine as far as miles and provenance and they struggled to get decent (in my mind) money.

And just to clarify, where exactly is the car located?

Dan
    Last edited by LWB250; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:47 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

2-4k is the going price range on these cars. In general, I am seeing interest declining in these sedans (V6, 4.2 V8).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeym For This Useful Post:

Lewk (2 Weeks Ago), LWB250 (2 Weeks Ago)

Naples,Florida.

Given the mileage, condition, options, 1 owner, etc.... My thoughts were around $5000 but Ive seen similar cars go for far more. A similar car in blue went for $12,000 on BaT.

Here is the best example to try to compare. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Merced....m43663.l44720

Super clean. Not perfect, but better than most. Sold for $5,100. I thought that was fair.
    '00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harv For This Useful Post:

Lewk (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

It is in Florida actually, Naples. Not offended by any means, but not thrilled either. $5000 feels right to me.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Agreed, seems fair.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Sounds like you are ready to create an official "For Sale" thread here:

400E / E420 Cars for Sale
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

28. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Wanna get a few things tidied up on it before I do that.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    Here is the best example to try to compare. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Merced....m43663.l44720

Super clean. Not perfect, but better than most. Sold for $5,100. I thought that was fair.
    Not bad, but it's a pre-facelift car. Not really a fair comparison.

Again, these things are really lousy in the market for what they are. Not sure why...

Dan

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Geeeze! Thats quite an option sheet you got there. Basically an e500e without the fender flares and 5.0.

Do you know if it was special ordered?

Sounds like the guys here already have you pointed in the right direction. If maximizing your profit is what interests you most, BAT is definitely where you want to list. The crack pipe sales prices there definitely favor the sellers. Although as Dave said, you will have to have photos of EVERYTHING. Most importantly photos all the major spots where rust likes to show up on these guys, especially since you mention that you purchased the car in Michigan. You’ll get torn to shreds in the comments otherwise.

If you’d rather sell to a true enthusiast (for less) a well placed ad here might find you a well matched mate. I think you have a winner in your hands. Really well optioned, low miles, cosmetically looks to be all there... these things are really hard to find in good shape. The 400/420s pay the price for not being as collectible as their 500 stablemates. You see them sadly treated as beaters (like the 300/320s... gasp! The horror!) by the masses many times over. The interiors are usually quite trashed, which IMHO, usually kills the appeal, since the interior bits are really hard to source in good shape.

I looked for mine for a long long time. It doesn’t have nearly all the options yours does, and it has twice the mileage. Its been generally well cared for by previous owners however, so cosmetically its nice. Not great, but nice. I think what you have there would be an absolute steal at something around 6k. But hey. I’m nuts for these things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

Hakie (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewk View Post
    Given the mileage, condition, options, 1 owner, etc.... My thoughts were around $5000 but Ive seen similar cars go for far more. A similar car in blue went for $12,000 on BaT.
    Having sold on BAT, I can tell you that it's a double edged sword that can really hurt you under certain circumstances. If you don't have provenance on the car, which you don't, and you don't know these cars intimately, the peanut gallery will tear you a new one and dampen a lot of enthusiasm for the sale. That and if you want to go with a reserve, you'll probably find that BAT will either not be interested or will insist on a reserve that's below your number. Understand that you only get one bite at the apple - if you apply to sell the car there and they turn you down, you're done. No opportunity to appeal, and they won't disclose their reasoning for rejection, either. Now that leaves you with places like eBay or the various forums, neither of which will net you the highest price.

BAT sales are outliers, I think, and they're tearing up the market. That and with the economy the way it is, people are spending freely, driving prices to levels that approach insanity. However, that hasn't been demonstrated with the "regular" W124 chassis' cars, especially the 400E/E420s. They seem to languish in some vague zone between "meh" and desirable.

At least that's my take. Looks like many here support some version of that opinion.

Dan

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

ace10 (2 Weeks Ago), albdentist (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), JC220 (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago)

I purchased the car from the daughter of the original owner and she tells me this car was purchased along with 2 other cars on the same day. 2 new cars for their home in Michigan and this car for their Florida home, where it spent it's life. So I doubt it was ordered and she doesn't remember. It really is a very nice example and needs to go to someone who really appreciates them and will care for it. Its not perfect and has a couple of things that need tending to, which I plan on taking care of to make it a real "no excuses" car. I've detailed the car and gone over it thoroughly and have found no rust to speak of. Surprisingly when I removed the wheels and tires to clean them, the wheel wells, suspension and etc... I was surprised how with just some Simple Green and a little elbow grease the springs and stuff look like new. Paint marks and all are clearly visible and bright. I may go ahead and do a full chassis cleaning just to see how it looks. For the record the car was purchased in Michigan, but was shipped to Florida where it lived in a garage and was rarely used.
    Last edited by Lewk; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:15 AM. Reason: Clarification

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

I'll probably steer clear of BaT then. I'm confident I'll find the right buyer and get a fair price. I don't need the car, but I'm also in no hurry to take a loss on it just to move it. It's a great example of the breed and deserves to go to someone who'll appreciate and care for it.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

There aren't too many examples of E420 with such low miles but I have seen quite few with much higher value than 5k at similar mileage. Its hard to find examples but this one went for 12k last year:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...des-benz-e420/

I also remember others going for 8k-10k at similar mileage. I think it all depends on records and maintenance. I mean this one went for 4300 at 177k miles..

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex89 For This Useful Post:

Lewk (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Alex89 View Post
    There aren't too many examples of E420 with such low miles but I have seen quite few with much higher value than 5k at similar mileage. Its hard to find examples but this one went for 12k last year:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...des-benz-e420/
    That one was also a rare color, with most options. Black is the most common color, which doesn't help.

Dan is right about BaT being a 2-edged sword. It can bring a crack-pipe sale price, or you can get destroyed by the peanut gallery. Depends if you're willing to take the gamble, IF they accept the listing, which will likely require either no reserve or very low reserve. If you are not intimately familiar with the inner workings of BaT, be careful.

I know you said you don’t have any service records, but do you know if the engine wiring harness has been replaced? That could be a big ticket item (if you can still even get the part) to fix and is more of a when will it fail, not if it will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Amg280 View Post
    I know you said you don’t have any service records, but do you know if the engine wiring harness has been replaced? That could be a big ticket item (if you can still even get the part) to fix and is more of a when will it fail, not if it will fail.
    The wiring harnesses are not that big of a deal. If you're willing to drop 4-5 grand on a 25 year old car, a new upper and lower harness at ~400 a piece shouldn't be a road block, IMHO. Would I prefer to not have to deal with that issue? Of course... but I wouldn't let it stop me from picking up a nice example.

Last time I checked, the upper harness for the 400/420 was still available. The lower harness is not, but our resident Jono rebuilds them good as new!

Installation is pretty straightforward. Just take lots of pictures before hand so you understand how things are routed, and that's about it. You really can't plug in anything incorrectly once you have the thing routed right.

Hey Lewk! It sounds like a nice car. Not much of a poster here but I lurk a bit. I sent you a PM - let’s get in touch.

a.k.a. "CoalRollerEric" 600Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lewk View Post
    Aftermarket rear parking sonar was added at some point...
    That sonar would come in handy for a local Florida buyer should they decide to search for some ship wrecks in the Gulf.

Just kidding and on a serious note that is a absolute ton of car for the money especially given the recent significant appreciation with the 500E's. So although no value in terms of collectibility it would make a extremely nice daily driver.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 600Eric For This Useful Post:

Lewk (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Replied this morning. E-mail is lukeallen81@yahoo.com if you'd prefer.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Engine harness appears to be original.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

I've driven around a bit and you're right it's a lot of car. Drives, stops, and handles beautifully.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Alex89: I saw that post as well. Hard to believe it brought that kind of money.

56. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Had a friend who's a Benz tech look over the car this weekend and he tells me the upper engine harness has been replaced for sure.

58. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lewk For This Useful Post:

a777fan (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Posted for sale at $7500 with more photos.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13285

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Posted for sale at $7500 with more photos.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13285
    One owner?
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    One owner?
    Well, at least during the time the first owner held title.

62. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (1 Week Ago)