Thread: EBC Brake Pad opinions: Redstuff vs Greenstuff vs Yellowstuff

EBC Brake Pad opinions: Redstuff vs Greenstuff vs Yellowstuff

I'm looking at possibly buying the EBC REDSTUFF Brake pads and rotors. There is a sale right now and the price is so good for EBC pads and the EBC standard rotors. I think its under 150 for front.

I have always been buying the usual oem stuff for years. Thinking like it may be worth trying these for my E420...

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: REDSTUFF EBC Brake pads opinions?

I've never used EBC on my cars, but I've been tempted. However, the Redstuff is ceramic... unless your top and only priority is zero dust, I'd generally steer away from ceramics. That said: for normal street use (no racing, no autox, nothing remotely high-performance) they might be fine.

For a performance pad, look at Yellowstuff, which I think is available for the .034/.036 variants. (Silver Arrow folks can step up to Orangestuff if they're really aggressive.)

I have used Porterfield R4-S on multiple cars with good results, the primary drawback is the higher cost. EBC isn't cheap either though.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

samm (2 Weeks Ago)

https://thmotorsports.com/9076062-ebc-s12kf1685

thanks for the info Dave.

Im looking for something that will increase braking power. Dust is secondary benefit for me. I have read that these brakes need some warm up time and then they have excellent braking...

I will look at the Yellowstuff. But I think balancing price and benefit the Redstuff combo for 145 is really good!

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Ohhhh. If you want increased friction / braking power... you don't want Redstuff. For EBC, check out Yellowstuff. I think Jono likes this compound. (Jono?)

Porterfield R4-S should also work nicely; and I've heard the R4 compound is streetable if you can live with the high price and possibly reduced pad lifespan. I've never used the R4 compound.

FYI... for brake rotors, I'd highly recommend sticking with OE / Genuine MB discs. They're not that expensive, and I've had issues with some aftermarket rotors, including (sadly) Brembo.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Klink (2 Weeks Ago), samm (2 Weeks Ago)

thats useful info regarding the rotors Dave. I was looking at the EBC combination because maybe EBC put them together for a reason... But if Brembo had issues then I may need to reconsider!

My rotors are not bad, maybe a bit old as they are likely about 7 or 8 years old. I think I may go with Yellowstuff if I can be convinced of the price/benefit. This is my daily driver, and I simply feel that the brakes are not good enough especially with suddden stops at freeway speeds. I read that either the Red or yellow can potentially stop 13 meters earlier from 100mph.

I have Michelin Sport 4s on my car so hopefully those will also help.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samm For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago)

ok so the Yellowstuff (part: DP4927R) is only 33 dollars more than the redstuff (DP3927C) pads. So the price is not really an issue anymore. WIll just think about the dust and the low temp braking. I know the red needs a bit of time to warm up and improve bite and has very little brake dust. Yellow is supposed to have very good cold and better hot braking with medium dust.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samm For This Useful Post:

I use EBC Greenstuff pads on my car, much better than OE for stopping power, less dust, no noise and dust is easier to clean off your wheels. These are street pads though, they don't possess the longevity for track use.
    1993 500E
    http://2phast.com/500e/500e-sig.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

Klink (2 Weeks Ago)

ok so the Yellowstuff (part: DP4927R) is only 33 dollars more than the redstuff (DP3927C) pads. So the price is not really an issue anymore. WIll just think about the dust and the low temp braking. I know the red needs a bit of time to warm up and improve bite and has very little brake dust. Yellow is supposed to have very good cold and better hot braking with medium dust.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to samm For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by 2phast View Post
    I use EBC Greenstuff pads on my car, much better than OE for stopping power, less dust, no noise and dust is easier to clean off your wheels. These are street pads though, they don't possess the longevity for track use.
    I could not find Greenstuff for these cars, only Yellow and Red. Would have been good to have a look at the spec on the Green to compare.

Ive ordered the Yellow EBC pads and lets see how it goes! The reason I went with Yellow over red was the cold performance. Its not very useful to me to have everyday pads that are only very good when warm. Especially when you are crusing on the freeway for a while then suddenly need to stop, but the pads are cold! So you need a longer stopping distance. THat would make it almost a worthless upgrade for me!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samm For This Useful Post:

At Jono’s recommendation, I used for yellows on the 2904 winning S55. Other than a slightly hard stone cold pedal and a little stone cold noise, they were fantastic. There was no lack of grip even in a cold panic application. They generated lots of useful friction and did not fade. I would not hesitate to try them out on a normal DD street car.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), samm (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by samm View Post
    I could not find Greenstuff for these cars, only Yellow and Red. Would have been good to have a look at the spec on the Green to compare.

Ive ordered the Yellow EBC pads and lets see how it goes! The reason I went with Yellow over red was the cold performance. Its not very useful to me to have everyday pads that are only very good when warm. Especially when you are crusing on the freeway for a while then suddenly need to stop, but the pads are cold! So you need a longer stopping distance. THat would make it almost a worthless upgrade for me!
    Google will get you to EBC's site which is the first link, then just select a US dealer, I randomly chose the one in the 2nd link

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/greenstuff-brake-pads/

http://www.shopebcbrakes.com/EBC-Gre...-Brakes/p99669
    1993 500E

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), samm (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Klink View Post
    At Jono’s recommendation, I used for yellows on the 2904 winning S55. Other than a slightly hard stone cold pedal and a little stone cold noise, they were fantastic. There was no lack of grip even in a cold panic application. They generated lots of useful friction and did not fade. I would not hesitate to try them out on a normal DD street car.

Well thanks guys for pointing out that the Yellows have been recommended by Jono before. I was about to buy the red but at the last minute with this info I got the Yellows. I am going to use them on standard rotors and I will let you guys know if I feel a difference after the bedding in period.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to samm For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by 2phast View Post
    Google will get you to EBC's site which is the first link, then just select a US dealer, I randomly chose the one in the 2nd link

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/greenstuff-brake-pads/

http://www.shopebcbrakes.com/EBC-Gre...-Brakes/p99669
    Appreciate the link. I actually went back to check after you mentioned it and realised that Green is available. Do you find a significant difference with the Green? According to EBC the Red and Yellows have better stopping power. But Im thinking you must have first hand experience so what is your opinion?

By the way guys. Today Pepboys have the Redstuff on sale. 67 dollars delivered!!

part no: DP3927C

Quote Originally Posted by samm View Post
    Appreciate the link. I actually went back to check after you mentioned it and realised that Green is available. Do you find a significant difference with the Green? According to EBC the Red and Yellows have better stopping power. But Im thinking you must have first hand experience so what is your opinion?
    The green are a excellent upgrade from stock, the red is a step up with a little bit less dust and better hot friction. Yellow is your choice if you plan on taking your car on the track, the other two are not suitable for track use. The green are semi-metallic and the reds are ceramic. Keep in mind that the yellows don't have much bite when cold, create allot of dust, wear your rotors fast and are noisy. Red's also require some warm up to provide the best bite, no where near as bad as the yellows. Greens don't need to be warmed up to provide the best bite.
    1993 500E

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

Re: EBC Brake Pad opinions: Redstuff vs Greenstuff vs Yellowstuff

thank you for the input on these choices!

Well Yellow it is and lucky for me I do not have brand new rotors, so I will take this use the Yellows I bought to see how everything goes. I certainly hoe the yellows dont need too much warming up!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to samm For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)