Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: 2.82 Differential Swap

  1. #1
    Senior Member Alex89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    115

    2.82 Differential Swap

    Ok, I got to start one more thread about this topic...Haven't seen one in a while...

    I acquired 2.82 differential from 94' s420 (w/o ASR just like my E420) and now I want to know what do I need to do to put it in.From my understanding and research it should be an easy swap.. I am also thinking about LSD but its pretty expensive and not sure if I should do it on E420 but I can always take it off if I decide to sell the car.

    I know I would need to swap rear cover as they are different, anything else (other than cluster adapter)? I would like to replace all the seals and anything else that I can, I just cant find any DIYs with pictures or similar...Anyone has any ideas?I am sure it cant be too hard to do it.

    Or if I decide to have someone else do it, how much should I expect to pay?

    Any info would help, I am not too familiar with rear differentials as most of my cars were FWD.

    Differential 2.82.jpg
    Last edited by Alex89; 09-15-2018 at 06:14 PM.

  2. #2
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,885

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Just replace the side shaft seals, and re-seal the rear cover with either the black MB sealant, or Right Stuff. Don't touch the input flange seal unless it's visibly leaking. All of that is easy DIY on the workbench.

    LSD is nice, and highly recommended on a car without ASR, but it will cost you a tidy sum. It's advanced DIY so it you're not comfy with internal diff work, have a shop do it that is familiar with MB differentials.

    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

  3. #3
    Senior Member Alex89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    115

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Ok, that should be easy replacing those 2 seals.

    Will I spin tires like crazy without ASR and LSD? How much would it cost to have someone install LSD for me?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    174

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex89 View Post
    Ok, that should be easy replacing those 2 seals.

    Will I spin tires like crazy without ASR and LSD? How much would it cost to have someone install LSD for me?
    If you cane it hard from a stop around a dry corner in low gear it will break the inside free for sure, and maybe both. First gear is really short but it shifts immediately to second unless you put your foot in it.

    With 5 liter power lsd is a must. Not really with 420. Unless you drive on slippery roads a lot.

    You can just put the new diff in and change the fluid.

    You will need new axle bolts. There is a kit.

    Your speedo will be off, so you need to send the cluster to north Hollywood speedo or similar and have them adjust the k factor or whatever it is called. Otherwise I have an abbot signal converter I never used that will convert the speedo signal. I will sell it for less than cost. You can put it under the dash and wire it in.

    Great upgrade. Highly recommend if you are in town mostly. Nobody expects the car to leave the line like that, and it just keeps pulling away as the revs climb.





    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,885

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    As atg said, it depends on the roads where you live, and what tires you have. You could always try it without LSD for a while and then decide if you want to shell out ~$2k for the upgrade.

    I don't know what shops would charge, but I'd wild guess around 5 hours labor if they ONLY install the LSD (ring gear carrier) and do not "fully rebuild" the diff, which would cost a bunch more to pull the pinion out, and then there's the risk of them screwing it up unless they are MB diff specialists. AFAIK there are only a few shops in the country that have the tools & experience to do that, and it's almost never needed. I've never had to touch the pinion or pinion bearings.


  6. #6
    Senior Member Alex89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    115

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    If you cane it hard from a stop around a dry corner in low gear it will break the inside free for sure, and maybe both. First gear is really short but it shifts immediately to second unless you put your foot in it.
    Not sure I am getting what you are saying here?


    Also, is there really that much of a difference between 5.0 and 4.2 ?

    Ok, I will try just a differential without ASR or LSD and see how it goes. I don't do too much driving as it is, let alone highway driving. I drive the car once or twice a week maybe totaling 50-75 miles a week...

    Anyone has the link to axle bolt kit and that MB Sealant? Cant I just re use my current axle bolts?

    Is this the sealant? 003 989 98 20 10?

  7. #7
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,885

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    If you are at a stop, for example leaving a side street and turning on to a main road, and accelerate while turning... the inside rear wheel often spins. It's worse with wet or dirty pavement, and worse as power levels increase. This is where LSD helps significantly for street use.

    Yes, 003 989 98 20 10 is the black sealant. If the tube isn't fresh, it may take days (or weeks) to set, which is fine if you are not in a hurry. Don't fill the diff with gear oil until the sealant has fully cured. I clean the axle bolts with a die to remove the old threadlock, and re-use the bolts with blue threadlocker. And, I clean the flange bolt holes with a tap. New bolts with microencapsulated threadlock are nice, but will have male Torx heads, instead of female XZN heads.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    174

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    It will go great. Unless it rains.

    Bolts: really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex89 View Post
    Not sure I am getting what you are saying here?


    Also, is there really that much of a difference between 5.0 and 4.2 ?

    Ok, I will try just a differential without ASR or LSD and see how it goes. I don't do too much driving as it is, let alone highway driving. I drive the car once or twice a week maybe totaling 50-75 miles a week...

    Anyone has the link to axle bolt kit and that MB Sealant? Cant I just re use my current axle bolts?

    Is this the sealant? 003 989 98 20 10?


    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    174

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    defer to gsxr on pretty much everything but the fsm says replace them.

    Fsm also said replace the ring gear bolts for instance, but they are nla so I reused them.


    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,885

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Yeah, the FSM says to replace them because they have microencapsulated threadlock pre-applied. It's nice, but not required IF you properly clean the old ones, and use threadlock.

    New bolts are 001-990-69-12 at $4.00 MSRP each, 12 total required for the two axle flanges (six each side).

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    500AMM (10-18-2018)

  12. #11
    Senior Member Alex89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    115

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Yea I am in no rush so I will make sure it cures well before filling the oil. But how much sealant do I put, how tick? What about anaerobic sealant, I used to put it on oil pans before...
    Good info on the bolts, I will definitely try clean them before I spend $50 on 12 bolts!

  13. #12
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,885

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex89 View Post
    Yea I am in no rush so I will make sure it cures well before filling the oil. But how much sealant do I put, how tick? What about anaerobic sealant, I used to put it on oil pans before...
    Good info on the bolts, I will definitely try clean them before I spend $50 on 12 bolts!
    You only need a thin bead of the black sealant, around 1/8" diameter. There will be a small amount of squeezeout around the edges. Don't use anaerobic, or Hylomar, for this applicaton.

    (The FSM says to use a rear cover sealant that is blue Hylomar, however when using synthetic gear oil, after 1-2 years it will start leaking. The black sealant won't leak with synthetics.)

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    500AMM (10-18-2018), a777fan (09-18-2018)

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    174

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    You only need a thin bead of the black sealant, around 1/8" diameter. There will be a small amount of squeezeout around the edges. Don't use anaerobic, or Hylomar, for this applicaton.

    (The FSM says to use a rear cover sealant that is blue Hylomar, however when using synthetic gear oil, after 1-2 years it will start leaking. The black sealant won't leak with synthetics.)
    Tom sent me the black stuff without my asking, so they must have changed the recommendation.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  16. #14
    "Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"
    jhodg5ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    2,255

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    Tom sent me the black stuff without my asking, so they must have changed the recommendation.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    The orange stuff for the cam actuators does a Hella good job Ime!

    ..never had any issues w/ hylomar and sythentics though? Try Elring Curil T if you want the Uber Hylomar



    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

    500AMM (10-18-2018)

  18. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    174

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Quote Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
    The orange stuff for the cam actuators does a Hella good job Ime!

    ..never had any issues w/ hylomar and sythentics though? Try Elring Curil T if you want the Uber Hylomar
    :Jono:

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yes I figured any of them would probably work ok.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  19. #16
    Senior Member Alex89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    115

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    I have been little busy so I didn't spend too much time on differential plus I might take little longer trip soon so I want to do it with 2.24 differential.
    I cleaning it little with a brush and some carb cleaner...But it PITA. Can I spray the outside with degreaser and hose it down, or can I damage anything that way?

  20. #17
    "Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"
    jhodg5ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    2,255

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex89 View Post
    I have been little busy so I didn't spend too much time on differential plus I might take little longer trip soon so I want to do it with 2.24 differential.
    I cleaning it little with a brush and some carb cleaner...But it PITA. Can I spray the outside with degreaser and hose it down, or can I damage anything that way?
    You can only do 2.24 in open or clutched LSD.

    You can spray it till will run out of water...

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

  21. #18
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    2,712

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Be heavy handed on the blue loctite. I'd use the orange anerobic sealer as those bolts can weep.

    Power wash, carb cleaner- do what ever needed.

    There are lots of good options for a leak free cover.


    M

  22. #19
    Senior Member Alex89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    115

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Thank you, that is good to hear as it is a PITA to clean it any other way.

    Also, what are these parts?

    One is probably speed sensor, but whats the second pic part?

    20180927_213505.jpg


    20180927_213438.jpg

  23. #20
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,885

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    First pic is the (broken!) pinion speed sensor (non-ASR diffs only).

    Second pic is the vent.


  24. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    Alex89 (09-28-2018)

  25. #21
    Senior Member Alex89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    115

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    I should be able to remove broken sensor and plug in mine, right? Or is this part of the differential and I will need to buy it separate and replace it?

  26. #22
    "Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"
    jhodg5ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    2,255

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex89 View Post
    I should be able to remove broken sensor and plug in mine, right? Or is this part of the differential and I will need to buy it separate and replace it?
    Yes and breather. Make sure it's clean.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

    Alex89 (09-29-2018)

  28. #23
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,885

    Re: 2.82 Differential Swap

    Yup, swap in your good speed sensor at the pinion, should be fine.

    Jono is correct, remove the breather and make sure it's clean. Probably is fine, but that thing is really difficult to access after the diff is in the car.


  29. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    Alex89 (09-29-2018)

Similar Threads

  1. 400E 5.0 swap
    By Jord in forum 400E / E420 Discussions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-29-2017, 04:32 PM
  2. r129 column swap
    By zman in forum Interior Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2015, 06:16 AM
  3. Went to the swap meet and came home with another car
    By Maui in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2014, 09:03 PM
  4. Looking for DIY for Headlight swap
    By Maui in forum Appearance and Detailing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-22-2013, 09:55 AM
  5. Portland Swap Meet
    By 500Espot in forum Events, Meets and Get-Togethers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •