Thread: "Top Side" oil extractor that works?

"Top Side" oil extractor that works?

Cheers all!

I want to start doing oil changes on all cars from the top. Since most you folks here are major DIY enthusiasts, what top side oil extractor can you recommend that actually works and holds up to 8.5 quarts so I can do in on one shot?

Regards,
    D

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Duh_Vinci For This Useful Post:

TerryA (4 Weeks Ago)

Re: "Top Side" oil extractor that works?

I have the item linked below. (A sealey 9.5L one)

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-TP69...r/141362533231

Although you may not get the same brand across the pond im sure harbour fraught would have something similar. There are 2x types- Air operated (from your shop compressor) and manual.

I like the manual pump one since I do not require the air line to operate it. So for example if I want to service a car out on my driveway I can carry it out and not need an air line. The 9l capacity is enough for any MB saloon engine or gearbox oil drain.

Once you get one of these you will never look back trust me! Oil changes are a dream in comparison to jacking up, crawling under and removing the ever growing sized undertrays.
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (4 Weeks Ago)

"Top Side" oil extractor that works?

I have used the topsider for 5 years with great success.

Edit

I have used this on 2014, 1994 and 1991 benz, 2005 Tacoma and 2014 dart. No troubles, metal construction, stout container wont topple over.
    Last edited by nocfn; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:03 PM.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (4 Weeks Ago)

That's just it, if I could effectively evacuate the oil from the top, and all 3 MB cars have oil filters accessible at the top, I could avoid dealing with annoying drip pan removal. Joe, the one in the link is precisely what I'm looking for, hand pump version.

There is just seem so much cheap crap out there, I want to find a solid unit that works well and serviceable if needed.

Regards,
    D

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Duh_Vinci For This Useful Post:

JC220 (4 Weeks Ago)

E500E Guru

I've used one from amazon-

Note that the bushing for the change in line size is a junk and you will get an air leak there. I had to seal those details with some sealant- then it worked great. For some newer cars, it would have been great to have alonger tube to go down in the enigine. OM642 required longer,M112? , OM648 verdict is still out.

I use a Pela model that was purchased for the boat 25 years ago. 6 liter so does require 2 shots for the 119. Manual pump is most versatile. JC220 is right on- best money you can spend. Heat the oil prior to changing to speed the process.
    1993 Mercedes 500E
    2004 Mercedes E55

I'm considering the EWK unit from https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Pneumatic...luid+Evacuator It is both, manual pump and pneumatic optioned in one, and from what I can see, it has the actual seals on the connectors that can be changed in time, along with lockable inlet..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=p_QjEmsAgsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4imbuUBwo

$130, but large capacity...

Regards,
    D

'00 E55 AMG
    '83 240D
    '80 300SD

A friend of mine has the Topsider MVP unit uncle Kent showing, it is excellent, metal construction and efficient. The capacity is the only thing deterring me. But for his cars with under 5quarts it works great.

Regards,
    D

How about this one? It is 9.5L

OEMTOOLS 24397 9.5 Liter Manual Fluid Evacuator, Overflow Shutoff Valve, Dipstick Tube Adapter, Leak Proof Bottom https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BW393E2..._4jVNBbY6HDZX7
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (4 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    How about this one? It is 9.5L

OEMTOOLS 24397 9.5 Liter Manual Fluid Evacuator, Overflow Shutoff Valve, Dipstick Tube Adapter, Leak Proof Bottom https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BW393E2..._4jVNBbY6HDZX7
    I like it, capacity, serviceable, definitely a contender

Regards,
    D

This one extracts and also dispenses .... thus doing away with having to pour 8.8 liters of motor oil out from the top.

Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR7TC..._u0WNBb4KCEREH
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (4 Weeks Ago), gsxr (4 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

The Griot’s Garage extractor has worked quite well for me during the past 18 years or so...

E500E Guru

I've had this for about 7 years and it works well. You'll need a compressor to pull a vacuum and it will require a few pulls to get all the oil out (pull.. wait until more oil drains into pan.. pull again, etc).
    It's built like a steel tank (which is what it is) and allows you to change your oil while wearing a white linen suit.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-...tor-46149.html

21. The Following User Says Thank You to alabbasi For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (4 Weeks Ago)

I have shop air so I bought one that you hook up to an air hose. No manual pumping. Works great so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7300-...luid+extractor
    RicardoD
    1990 964 C4 / 1991 964 C2 tip
    1994 E500
    1991 560SEC
    2014 E350 for wife

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoD For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (4 Weeks Ago)

These are all great suggestions! A very useful tool no matter what type you buy. (Manual or Air powered) Obviously the use for extraction is not just limited to motor oil.
    Ever discovered an overfilled transmission? Just drop a thin tube down the dipstick and draw out excess fluid. Came across a rounded off transmission drain plug when going in to change the filter and ATF? What usually requires an ATF bath from below can be avoided by vacuuming out the ATF from the dipstick tube first.

Brake Fluid changes are easier too – it takes seconds for it to vac out the reservoir dry so you can fill with fresh fluid then start the flush to the callipers beginning with 100% fresh fluid. Power Steering fluid changes etc too. The only fluid I do not use my extractor for is Coolant and all oils are taken for proper recycling in a 25L jug.

A good tip for using these is to have the oil hot / warm at least – like you would normally change engine oil anyway. The warmer oil vacuums out much faster. And fully insert until the tube bottoms out then pull up again by 1/8 inch say so it takes the oil quicker and doesn’t suck onto the pan!
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (4 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (4 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Unless you have shop air running all the time, IMHO for something like an oil extraction, it's much easier just to get a manual-pump oil extractor. Same with a bleeder -- much easier to just get one with a manual pump.

Sure you may need to pump the oil extractor a couple of times to get the oil out, but dozen or so up-and-down strokes shouldn't put too much of a strain on one's arm or heart muscles.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Here's some 15-liter extractors:
    https://www.extoil.us/collections/15...oil-extractors

I've never used their extractors, but I have been happy with their transmission filler (required for Mercedes 722.9 and most newer ZF trans that require pumping fluid up through the drain port).
    https://www.extoil.us/products/6-lit...ion-fluid-pump

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    The Griot’s Garage extractor has worked quite well for me during the past 18 years or so...
    I bought the Griots one around 1999 as well! I was quite satisifed with it but then passed it on to my bro-in-law when I moved cross-country to live in a place without a garage for several years. My only criticism was that it was always a pain to pour the oil out of the extractor into empty plastic milk jugs .... opportunity for drips and spills. Thats why the one that extracts and dispenses is intriguing to me.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaa View Post
    I've used this one for almost 10 years. The pump has now failed and it's $65 alone to replace. I'm taking it apart to see if the root cause can be repaired (o-ring?).
    The only complaint are the tubes, the grommets used to reduce the main tube to one fitting the dip stick chamber get loose over the years. Probably a way to McGyver it but I haven't tried. This is more of an OCD thing as it still held a vacuum.

I'm almost leaning towards trying another brand. The OEM Tools tubing connectors seem a lot more robust.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to kwontumspeed For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (3 Weeks Ago)

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-...tor-46149.html

I'm on my 5th one of these in 10 years...but I might use them a bit more then y'all would..

Get a 20% off coupon and y'all will be rocking.

...Does need a compressor to make it work though.

jono
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (4 Weeks Ago), TerryA (4 Weeks Ago)

I’ve toyed with purchasing the HF extractor for a number of reasons, but my space is at a premium, which has held me back.

When my two Topsiders got their pump parts lost during a cross country move, I kept the containers for storage but bought the two gallon version of this:

http://liquivac.com/models/

Basic, simple, small, and enough capacity to hold an M112 or M119 oil change. I can store in it or pour the contents into one of my Topsider cans for future transport to my waste oil place. The Topsider containers deep at the bottom seams, so even as storage containers they’re not great.

Dan

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), TerryA (4 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I use 5-gallon buckets (Chevron DELO 400 buckets work great) for oil storage until I recycle. Never leak a drop. Two of them are perfect and worth a few MB oil changes of storage.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (4 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    I use 5-gallon buckets (Chevron DELO 400 buckets work great) for oil storage until I recycle. Never leak a drop. Two of them are perfect and worth a few MB oil changes of storage.
    Yeah, that would work for me if I had some, but the Topsider cans give me a total of about five gallons of storage, which is way more than I need. My cars' maintenance schedules are staggered pretty well so I rarely bump into a lack of storage capacity. Because they're low profile, the Topsider cans fit under a stainless steel wire shelf I have in the garage. A five gallon bucket (or the HF oil extractor) would take up valuable space in my garage that I don't have right now. I could make room but it's just one more thing to stumble over or have to move around...

Dan

38. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (4 Weeks Ago)

Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

I purchased the mightyvac 7201 earlier this week from Amazon. It is made in Taiwan - which makes me feel much better than buying stuff made in China. Anyways - the short and skinny is —- I like it better than the Griots one I had 20 years ago, primarily because it extracts as well as dispenses. The dispensing action is perfect for putting the used motor oil into the 4.73 L jugs of now-empty-mobil-one-15W-50 that I buy from Walmart.

The pumping mechanism is separate from the oil reservoir, and the black switch - up for dispensing, down for extraction. I was able to extract just over 8L of oil from my car. 10 pumps are all I needed to extract the cold 15W50 - it took about 20 min. The machine is well made with high quality quick fittings where the machine has the tube inserted. There is even a retractable foot stabilizer.
    ---
    Instagram
    1993 MB 500E
    1996 Porsche 993 C2

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jlaa For This Useful Post:

ace10 (3 Weeks Ago), Duh_Vinci (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), JC220 (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago)

Re: What’s your best buy DIY garage tools?

The pump top is of different color than mine - which failed after 10 years. So I wonder if it's an improved unit (you'd hope so after 10 years). This makes me want to go ahead and buy it again instead of replacing pump only on mine.

My guess at root cause is lack of maintenance. I suggest every year or so keep the pump shaft clean and lubed. Seems like my failure was the coating on the shaft started to deteriorated contaminating the internals of the pump.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to kwontumspeed For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (3 Weeks Ago)

I also use the Mityvac as jlaa. The only disadvantage is that one can get too complacent and not pay attention to motor mounts, flex discs and bushings which you would inspect if the car was lifted.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowardK For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (3 Weeks Ago)