Thread: Driver seat will not move forward (W203 2002 C32)

Driver seat will not move forward (W203 2002 C32)

My seat will not go forward after moving it all the way back. All the other functions work fine (recline, up/down, steering column). I hear a noise when I push the forward and back button, but no movement. I checked the fuses and they were good. I unplugged the switches underneath the seat w/ no results.

Any ideas as to what might be going on and the next steps to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Rob

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Driver seat will not move forward.

Rob, for grins, try pressing the memory buttons, 1 or 2. See if it moves. If it does move, the switch MAY be bad.

If you hear noises and still no movement, one of the motor cables may have become disconnected underneath... maybe?

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Rob, for grins, try pressing the memory buttons, 1 or 2. See if it moves. If it does move, the switch MAY be bad.

If you hear noises and still no movement, one of the motor cables may have become disconnected underneath... maybe?

Thanks Dave, if I hit the memory buttons the seat moves up/down, reclines, steering wheel adjusts, and outside mirrors. No back/forward movement. A shop that recently serviced the car told me it most likely is the switch or seat module. He said the seat motors rarely fail.

I will reinspect the cables under the seat. Is it possible something got jammed in the rails?

Thanks again.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The motors rarely fail, so yes it is more likely to be either the switch or control module under the seat. It's also possible something is jamming the rails, but in that case, I'd expect to see a tiny bit for forward/reverse movement along with the noise.

The motors rarely fail, so yes it is more likely to be either the switch or control module under the seat. It's also possible something is jamming the rails, but in that case, I'd expect to see a tiny bit for forward/reverse movement along with the noise.
    Thanks Dave. I will take another look at things this weekend before I succumb to the local dealership for a diagnosis. I’m not trying to throw money at unnecessary parts, I am sure their equipment can determine the faulty part or if something is jammed that is not visible to me.
    Last edited by RPB81; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:28 PM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

There's no special equipment available (that I know of) to test this stuff... the dealer would likely throw parts at it too, at full retail + markup, plus labor. I'd be tempted to pick up a known-good switch, used, and swap that out yourself (10 minutes tops). If no change, then at least you're more confident the issue is under the seat itself. The problem with the dealer is, you need a tech that is familiar with 1980's and 90's vintage chassis. Newer techs pretty much only know how to read codes and change parts based on codes, and there were not computerized seat modules until the 210 chassis for the E-class.

There's no special equipment available (that I know of) to test this stuff... the dealer would likely throw parts at it too, at full retail + markup, plus labor. I'd be tempted to pick up a known-good switch, used, and swap that out yourself (10 minutes tops). If no change, then at least you're more confident the issue is under the seat itself. The problem with the dealer is, you need a tech that is familiar with 1980's and 90's vintage chassis. Newer techs pretty much only know how to read codes and change parts based on codes, and there were not computerized seat modules until the 210 chassis for the E-class.

Sorry, I posted in the off topic section because my car is an ‘02 C32. I should of mentioned this in my original post. It’s still prob worth picking up a 2nd hand switch and testing. Most of my prior MBs (210/208) had some type of issue w/ the switch at some point. I think my old 500e and C36 are the only ones which did not. I’m just thankful it got stuck close to the end of the rail and not all the way forward.

Thanks again.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

OH! I assumed this was a W124 - my bad.

So, for a 2002 C32, there will be codes on the seat control computer that may indicate what the problem is. Assuming you don't have an SDS (may be worth the investment, since you own more than one MB), yep, the dealer would be able to assist.

I'll update the thread title, btw.

Re: Driver seat will not move forward (2002 C32)

Thanks again, Dave!

Dave, I stumbled across this UTube clip which demonstrates how to potentially get some life to the seat: https://youtu.be/FYCNRwtUdgo.

I feel it’s worth a shot, but I am not very tech savvy. I was able to locate the motor which controls the forward/backward motion on my seat. There is a red, black, white, and brown cable in the plug for this motor. I’m not really sure which of these I should be connecting to. I’d assume the positive and negative. In the clip he connects to black and white cables which made me scratch my head, if you can offer up any insight it would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by RPB81; 1 Week Ago at 07:15 PM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Rob, if this were a 124 chassis, I might be able to help... but I know nothing about the C32 or the W203. Maybe see if you can find any info on other forums related to the W203 chassis?

Rob, if this were a 124 chassis, I might be able to help... but I know nothing about the C32 or the W203. Maybe see if you can find any info on other forums related to the W203 chassis?

Understood Dave, I will try MBWorld. People on that forum rarely respond back to electrical related questions.

Nothing beats this site. I appreciate all the help!

Rob