Thread: Replacing C126 front brake pads for the first time. I know, I'm a virgin and it's pathetic.

Question Replacing C126 front brake pads for the first time. I know, I'm a virgin and it's pathetic.

Yes, I am thinking of replacing the brake pads on my 500 SEC all by myself. It's sad and ridiculous that I have never had hands on something like this, but my entire life has been spent giving my cars to mechanics to charge me sh$$ tons of money. Why the heck should I give a few hundred or more to my local mechanic on this when I just had 4 grand in hurricane damages?! I can't afford it right now.

So my brake pads are low. They just started the warning whistle squeal (the brake censor is not lighting up). Looking at the pads they are clearly too thin. The rotors do not have wear or a lip from what I can see with my amateurish eyes so I should be able to simply jack up my front, remove wheels, swap in new pads and be good to go. For you guys I am sure it'd be easy.

I am only asking if there is anything you experts recommend I look at before trying this. This video is one of many I watched to familiarize myself with the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6UcHR6_yM

I'll have to decide where to order the parts from and to be sure to order the right ones.

This sort of thing really needs to be something I can learn to tackle so that I can step up from there. If I cannot change brake pads than I need a kick in the face and my car stolen.

Thanks all.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: Replacing front brake pads for the first time. I know, I'm a virgin and it's pathetic.

Forget the YouTube and "other" TFTSNBN tutorials. The YouTube video is for a completely different and more modern chassis (W220), anyway.

We have a section on this forum that is specific for 126 HOW-TO articles. There is a specific article on the replacement of the front rotors and brake pads that is located here. You can ignore the portion used for the rotor replacement and focus just on the brake pad removal at the beginning and replacement at the end of the article.

The listing of 126 HOW-TO articles is located here: https://www.500eboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago), RicardoD (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago)

Re: Replacing front brake pads for the first time. I know, I'm a virgin and it's pathetic.

Definitely try this yourself. It's very straight forward especially without the need for rotor removal.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

Hey, that tutorial is fantastic! Thank you for that.

I'll go ahead and tackle this over the weekend, weather permitting. I also need to install my now rebuilt Becker radio with the aux input and a HomeLink auto dimming mirror with compass. lots to do!

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: Replacing C126 front brake pads for the first time. I know, I'm a virgin and it's pathetic.

You will need the following:

Correct pads for your application (get the Akebono pads if possible, MB/Textar/Jurid/Pagid are also fine), new brake pad wear sensors and some brake paste from MB for the backs of the pads.

Should take 45 minutes max per side. Second side should go faster.

Re: Replacing C126 front brake pads for the first time. I know, I'm a virgin and it's pathetic.

Don't forget the brake cleaner and SST brake caliper brush!
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following User Says Thank You to speedy300dturbo For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

I also did this job for the first time following Gerry's "how to".

Go for it.
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

Easy Job just take your time and keep a nice clean area with some cardboard on the floor as there will be plenty of brake dust etc. Also you will need a tool to hammer the pins out of the calipers. All covered in the write up.

The tutorials on this forum are excellent. You can't go wrong

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LTYLER For This Useful Post:

nocfn (1 Week Ago)