Thread: 245/45r16 on a 6x18 wheel?

245/45r16 on a 6x18 wheel?

Any chance of the tire not rubbing front or back? Diameter is smaller but 245 is pretty wide. I bought the sport bump stops for the front and will machine some donuts to limit the travel. I can massage the liner if needed and the lip is already rolled.

Thanks

87 300TD om606 compound turbo
    94 e420
    85 300tdt

Re: 245/45r16 on a 6x18 wheel?

Am a bit confused at the spec you have indicated for your tyres/wheels. Surely 6 X 18 wheel would use 245/45 r18 tyres? And are you sure they are only 6 wide? This seems very narrow if you are using them on an E500E.

As for any rubbing issues, it would be useful to know what ET your wheels have.

FYI, I am currently running 9 x 18 ET 35 wheels, with 275/35 tyres and have no rubbing issues at all - but I do have to use 15mm spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    Any chance of the tire not rubbing front or back? Diameter is smaller but 245 is pretty wide. I bought the sport bump stops for the front and will machine some donuts to limit the travel. I can massage the liner if needed and the lip is already rolled.

Thanks

94 e420
    85 300tdt
    Without complete info, and assuming you made a dyslexic typo (6x18 but meant 8x16 in reference to stock wheels), they should not rub. I just wounder why you are choosing 245/45r16 tires.

When moving away from stock wheel & tire sizes, the things I consider are;
    1) - Wheels must fit the ET range of the car - NO SPACERS ALLOWED (my personal choice only)
    2) - Wheel width must allow appropriate tire widths for the car
    3) - Wheel diameter no bigger than 18", 17" or 16" preferred for ride quality
    4) - maintain the stock tire outer diameter - or as close as possible
    5) - keep the new sizes within the wheel well non-rubbing ranges

So assuming your using stock E500E wheels, only points 4 & 5 above apply.

So how do you maintain the stock tire diameter?

First thing is to find out what is the stock diameter for your car. Go to this website and find your Mercedes model, then drill down to the stock wheel, and looking closer they show the tire size for the wheel.

https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/me...amak_wheel_715

Then a great tool for comparing wheels and tire sizes can be found at this link;

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

So from checking out alloy wheels direct, I see the stock wheel listed with a stock tire size of 255/55R16.

Next go to the rims n tires site, on the left side, plug in all the appropriate stock wheel and tire sizes, then on the right side plug in the changes you are considering. In some cases different wheels are being considered, which makes this tool so helpful. But in your case you just need to copy the wheels size to the right side, then make your new tire choices.

You will get a comparison analysis of your proposed changes in relationship to the stock wheel/tire sizes.

So I did the comparison of your new size to stock size, see the attachment. The only thing that stands out as not desirable, is that the new diameter is almost 1" less than stock. That helps with tires not rubbing maybe, but your speedometer and odometer will be overstating actual information by 4.3%. OK for not getting a speeding ticket, but not OK for keeping your mileage driven accurate over time.

If you were not altering the stance too much, a better choice would be 245/50r16, as this size is an exact match to stock wheel/tire diameter.

The wheel comparison website is also great for matching tires for staggered wheel sets, to get two different sizes that match in diameter, as close as possible.

Here is some odd tire size trivia that most people don't know. When looking at a tire size, your actually looking at 3 numbers that are on different numbering systems.

225/55R16 is really

1) 255 is the width of the tire in mm, (225mm = 8.9")
    2) 55 the height of the sidewall as a percentage,(%), of the width, (55% of 225mm = 123.75, or 124mm =4.9")
    3) 16 is the rim diameter in inches

How weird that tire sizes are displayed in mm, %, and inches, all in the one number listed.

So this is how overall tire diameter is affected, which equals the basic listed rim diameter, 16", plus 2ea of the side wall measurements.

You can play with the mm width sizes and % sidewall sizes until you get the overall diameter your looking for, or in many cases, as close as possible. Then after you have done all this, you need to consider how hard it may be to actually buy a specific tire in a specific size.

I just put new tires on a R230 staggered wheel set, but fitted to a R129. So I had to go with R129 stock tire measurements, and marry them to the R230 wheels. It ended up with some specific tire makes and models not available in the sizes I needed, so I had to settle for a different brand/model tire.

Anyway, I digress, The wheel wells on a E500E are rather forgiving, as compared to E420E's or other W124's, if you don't lower too much your probably OK.

But I would not choose the 245/45 size because of the significant difference in overall tire diameter, as compared to stock, ( 25.7" stock to 24.6" your choice, 245/50 = 25.7", a better choice if you don't alter the clearance too much.)

Good Luck..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by outrbnks; 6 Days Ago at 02:08 PM.
    04 E500-359 * 00 SL500-040 * 99 SL500-366 * 94 E420-744 * 92 500E-481/498 * 92 500E-199 * 92 300CE-199

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to outrbnks For This Useful Post:

gsxr (6 Days Ago), sheward (6 Days Ago), TerryA (6 Days Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

^^^ Everything outrbnks said. Note that he was discussing the E500E though, not the 400E420.

Since it appears this questions refers to a 124.034 (not 124.036), think you WILL have rubbing issues, unless you roll the hell out of the fender lips all around, and add the fender spacers up front. This partly depends on your ride height (stock or lowered? if lowered, how much?), how hard you corner, and if you ever have rear passengers or luggage. If you never corner hard, rubbing up front will be minimal. Ditto if the rear seat and trunk are always empty.

That said, for a standard 124, why do you want 245's? I'd stick with 225 max on an 8.0 wheel and try to keep the ET in the high 30's if possible.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    ^^^ Everything outrbnks said. Note that he was discussing the E500E though, not the 400E420.

Since it appears this questions refers to a 124.034 (not 124.036), think you WILL have rubbing issues, unless you roll the hell out of the fender lips all around, and add the fender spacers up front. This partly depends on your ride height (stock or lowered? if lowered, how much?), how hard you corner, and if you ever have rear passengers or luggage. If you never corner hard, rubbing up front will be minimal. Ditto if the rear seat and trunk are always empty.

That said, for a standard 124, why do you want 245's? I'd stick with 225 max on an 8.0 wheel and try to keep the ET in the high 30's if possible.
    It's the wagon. It is lowered. Yes the diameter would be 1" less but the question is whether that would compensate for the increased width.

To answer the question it was Jeff responding to my sticky rubber inquiry on the other thread. Bfg rs1-s come in that size and are common on road course cars.

I am trying to keep the car as normal looking as possible. It is matte black with silver 15 hole dinner plates from an r129 so the et is stock. I have 225s on the back now. 1" less diameter might allow for another 1cm of with on both sides of the rim as the camber increases (decreases?) With suspension compression.

I have the firmest bump stop bumper things but not installed yet and will make some donuts from uhmw or nylon on the lathe like the amg ones.

So far on the front right the inner fender liner rubs so I would have to do some modification with a hammer I think. But that seems pretty standard.

94 e420
    85 300tdt