Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: G spotted

  1. #1
    E500E Guru 036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Flensburg, D.
    Posts
    1,876

    G spotted

    Today....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (140.4 KB, 25 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (92.5 KB, 20 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (75.8 KB, 22 views)
    You can´t treat a car like a human.
    You must love it. (c) Walter Röhrl.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 036 For This Useful Post:

    maw1124 (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

  3. #2
    Senior Member ZombieBranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    222

    Re: G spotted

    Odd looking Bronco
    1971 Porsche 911E
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E
    2007 Porsche GT3

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZombieBranz For This Useful Post:

    a777fan (3 Weeks Ago), ace10 (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

  5. #3
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    607

    Re: G spotted

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieBranz View Post
    Odd looking Bronco

    Proportions are quite similar to a 73 Series Land Cruiser, which are equipped with an FRP top.


    1988-5458-1.jpg


    ^^^^^ JDM front bumper alert
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

  7. #4
    Senior Member ZombieBranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    222

    Re: G spotted

    IMG_4401.jpg


    Ace, see you have a 96 Bronco. I just picked up this clean 95. 5.8L with 3.55 limited slip. Lots of fun, hard on gas. What kind of mileage do these G wagons get??
    1971 Porsche 911E
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E
    2007 Porsche GT3

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZombieBranz For This Useful Post:

    ace10 (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

  9. #5
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    607

    Re: G spotted

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieBranz View Post
    IMG_4401.jpg


    Ace, see you have a 96 Bronco. I just picked up this clean 95. 5.8L with 3.55 limited slip. Lots of fun, hard on gas. What kind of mileage do these G wagons get??
    Nice looking FSB.
    The 351w is the engine of choice, mpg be damned. I think the truck is a hoot to drive. The wheelbase is just right for a little bit of fun with the skinny pedal.

    I am bit scared that the transmission is just waiting to blow up. Because Ford.

    Had to get the rear main seal and oil pan gasket redone. Apparently that's par for the course.


    I don't know anything about the g wagen in the first post. Our old one, a 2013 with the 5.5l M273 was getting 12.5 to 13.5 tank after tank.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

    TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

  11. #6
    Senior Member ZombieBranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    222

    Re: G spotted

    Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    Nice looking FSB.
    The 351w is the engine of choice, mpg be damned. I think the truck is a hoot to drive. The wheelbase is just right for a little bit of fun with the skinny pedal.

    I am bit scared that the transmission is just waiting to blow up. Because Ford.

    Had to get the rear main seal and oil pan gasket redone. Apparently that's par for the course.

    Yup going from my 2016 F-150 into this brings back memories of what trucks used to drive like. Loud and rough! but the fun factor is very high. I've been going thru and doing all the maintenance stuff. New springs/Bilsteins and also put in a Redhead Steering Box to help tighten up the steering. Still in the process of changing all the other fluids as well.

    Funny enough the transmission shifts did seem kind of sloppy when I first got it. Then I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. I could see the MAF element was totally black with soot. It actually made a pretty good difference and the shift points seemed to tighten up and now it shifts a lot crisper. Not sure how that correlates but it im sure the computer and shift points rely on the correct air/fuel ratio. Keep on truckin' Brother!
    1971 Porsche 911E
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E
    2007 Porsche GT3

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZombieBranz For This Useful Post:

    ace10 (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

  13. #7
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    607

    Re: G spotted

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieBranz View Post
    Yup going from my 2016 F-150 into this brings back memories of what trucks used to drive like. Loud and rough! but the fun factor is very high. I've been going thru and doing all the maintenance stuff. New springs/Bilsteins and also put in a Redhead Steering Box to help tighten up the steering. Still in the process of changing all the other fluids as well.

    Funny enough the transmission shifts did seem kind of sloppy when I first got it. Then I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. I could see the MAF element was totally black with soot. It actually made a pretty good difference and the shift points seemed to tighten up and now it shifts a lot crisper. Not sure how that correlates but it im sure the computer and shift points rely on the correct air/fuel ratio. Keep on truckin' Brother!
    How many miles on your FSB?

    Regarding the transmission... I am predisposed to fear (and loathe) Ford transmissions. My wife owned a mid 90s Exploder, which consumed two transmissions during its first 30K miles. The one in her Bronco just feels a bit fragile. The gear shifts aren't terrible for a ~130K mile truck, but I just feel like there's doom lurking.

    One bigger ticket item which we had to deal with right off the bat last year was to replace one of the engine control boxes. The truck wouldn't go into Ready mode for emissions testing, so it was a mandatory repair which was over $1000.

    The hazard flasher module is shot, too. Which is on my to-do list, but first I gotta locate it. lol. Apparently, it may have been installed in any one of several possible locations.

    I see you've got a rear tire carrier. If you don't have a cover, or want to install a nice one, I have a source in Canada who makes them to order for very reasonable money.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  14. #8
    Senior Member ZombieBranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    222

    Re: G spotted

    Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    How many miles on your FSB?

    Regarding the transmission... I am predisposed to fear (and loathe) Ford transmissions. My wife owned a mid 90s Exploder, which consumed two transmissions during its first 30K miles. The one in her Bronco just feels a bit fragile. The gear shifts aren't terrible for a ~130K mile truck, but I just feel like there's doom lurking.

    One bigger ticket item which we had to deal with right off the bat last year was to replace one of the engine control boxes. The truck wouldn't go into Ready mode for emissions testing, so it was a mandatory repair which was over $1000.

    The hazard flasher module is shot, too. Which is on my to-do list, but first I gotta locate it. lol. Apparently, it may have been installed in any one of several possible locations.

    I see you've got a rear tire carrier. If you don't have a cover, or want to install a nice one, I have a source in Canada who makes them to order for very reasonable money.

    Yikes! and I thought Ford parts have been really reasonably priced so far haha! $12 kit fixed the rear window which wasn't rolling up. I should probably keep my eye out for a backup control module.

    Don't have any experience with the E4OD transmission so we'll see how much more I get out of it. So far so good. I just ticked over 150k miles. Previous owner had it since 98 and kept up maintenance pretty good. Doesn't leak any fluid drips. Its a CA clean car for sure. Biggest expense so far has been replacement front seat covers. Interior was in perfect condition except for the driver seat which was worn thru. So a set cost me around $600 plus labor(to do both front seats). But once that is done the interior is all correct. Those Captains chairs with fold down armrest are comfy! just wish the seat could go back more I have long legs. Carpet is even still in really good shape.

    I was worried testing the 4WD the first time because it has the electronic controlled hubs and I figured if something was gonna be broke it would be that. I changed the transfer case fluid first. the dash control worked perfect but then it wouldn't go into 4 LOW....I was like oh great yup here we go...then read the manual and saw I needed to go into Neutral to engage 4 Low button. Once I did that it worked no problems.

    Thanks for the offer on the tire cover but I actually have 2 covers. Do you have the rear carrier or is your spare inside? BTW my Bronco is an XLT.
    1971 Porsche 911E
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E
    2007 Porsche GT3

  15. #9
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    607

    Re: G spotted

    Mine is also an XLT. Portofino blue over blue leather. Interior looks like it would have half of the indicated miles.
    Manual locking hubs are present, but I don't know if they're stock.

    I'd wager that the rear main seal has been done on yours already. My Ford indy mechanic was sure that it was original on mine, and had been dripping for quite some time. The reseal work was right around $1000 for both areas. The Ford dealer wanted $1200 for just the rear.

    We don't have any body rust nor frame rust, despite being an East coast lifer. I intend to keep it that way. Rear swing out tire carrier was cover-less when we got her.

    I do need a few random interior and exterior trim pieces, but haven't had the motivation to seek them out. The rear bumper has a divot from a trailer, and I had located a NOS unit, but the going price was close to $800. Not gonna happen.

    On the engine module, the diagnostic was the difficult part. I took to it to the top shop in the area for electrical repairs, and it still took a few hours to diagnose. He only deals with one refurb shop for ECM-type parts, due to getting burned on bad units. It was a spendy repair, but there were no options since she couldn't pass emissions.

    A Bronco wouldn't be on my list of cars to have in the garage, but the Boss wanted one, and she barely complains about my Land Cruisers and other random stuff.


    Curious... do you find that middle-aged women are the most vocal in complementing the rig? On my other vehicles, it's almost always dudes.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  16. #10
    Senior Member ZombieBranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    222

    Re: G spotted

    oh man Blue over Blue is a great color combo! How long have you had it? Someone took care of that one if it's rust free as well because I hear (and see pics) that the winters and salt do some serious damage.

    Manual Hubs were an option I believe so it's possible yours are factory; especially if your dash is clean and you don't have the two buttons on the right front of the dash for the electric version. The factory Ford repair manuals are quite good and are year specific. I found a set of 95 Bronco manuals on ebay for like $80. Well worth it.

    The one interior piece I want/need is the rare rear cargo cover.....might take a couple years to find one come up on ebay

    I'm a total novice on anything electrical....good luck on that light switch replacement, hopefully it's not buried deep in the dash.

    I don't get many comments on any of my cars here even my GT3 or 911E. I've literally driven both to the local Porsche dealer multiple times for parts and not once has anyone even bothered to come outside and take a look or comment, lol which is fine by me, I don't like cars to gather attention really anyways. The comments on the Bronco are have been from my friends and they consist of "Hey cool OJ Bronco man!"
    1971 Porsche 911E
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E
    2007 Porsche GT3

  17. #11
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    607

    Re: G spotted

    Around here, everyone hides their "good" cars. But I tend to drive them to do ordinary errands, and such. So it's kinda unusual, I guess.

    I consolidated the wife's vehicles into the small attached garage, so here it is jammed into its space. All my stuff is over in the new, detached garage.

    20181025_171301_zpsoyclcgpe.JPG

    It's triple blue, and I suspect it was a special order due to the XLT/Leather combo.
    The front hubs are manual, but it still has the push button control over the transfer case.

    I haven't gotten one OJ comment in the year plus we've owned it. Thankfully.

    When I'm at the Porsche dealer, whichever Land Cruiser I'm driving gets more attention than the typical P-car iron they see every day.
    .
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

    ZombieBranz (3 Weeks Ago)

  19. #12
    E500E Guru sheward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cumming, Georgia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: G spotted

    Growing up in Detroit i'm a self proclaimed expert on automotive rust. These Broncos suffered terribly. I'm sure there are differences from one vehicle to another but the E4OD that is used in the Diesel trucks is very robust. I have just shy of 300,000 on mine and know of others with the same longevity.

    drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

    ZombieBranz (3 Weeks Ago)

  21. #13
    E500E Guru sheward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cumming, Georgia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: G spotted

    This may be of interest ACE10. Seems below market value. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/c...725909138.html

    drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

    ace10 (3 Weeks Ago)

  23. #14
    Senior Member ZombieBranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    222

    Re: G spotted

    Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    Around here, everyone hides their "good" cars. But I tend to drive them to do ordinary errands, and such. So it's kinda unusual, I guess.

    I consolidated the wife's vehicles into the small attached garage, so here it is jammed into its space. All my stuff is over in the new, detached garage.

    20181025_171301_zpsoyclcgpe.JPG

    It's triple blue, and I suspect it was a special order due to the XLT/Leather combo.
    The front hubs are manual, but it still has the push button control over the transfer case.

    I haven't gotten one OJ comment in the year plus we've owned it. Thankfully.

    When I'm at the Porsche dealer, whichever Land Cruiser I'm driving gets more attention than the typical P-car iron they see every day.
    .
    wow that blue is really pretty. Thanks for the pic! I've not seen one like that....I agree had to be a special order color combo to be solid blue outside and then the blue interior. Nice find! paint looks great and panels straight! I think a lot of people switched from the electric hubs to manual so that not too odd. I'm planning just to keep mine stock...it's too original to screw with and these thing are starting to go up in price now! I paid over 10k for mine. But the fun factor and ease of use around town is a 10 all the way!
    1971 Porsche 911E
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E
    2007 Porsche GT3

  24. #15
    E500E Guru sheward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cumming, Georgia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: G spotted

    I would own this if I had more land. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...726573070.html $8000.?

    drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

    ace10 (3 Weeks Ago), ZombieBranz (3 Weeks Ago)

  26. #16
    Senior Member ZombieBranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    222

    Re: G spotted

    Quote Originally Posted by sheward View Post
    Growing up in Detroit i'm a self proclaimed expert on automotive rust. These Broncos suffered terribly. I'm sure there are differences from one vehicle to another but the E4OD that is used in the Diesel trucks is very robust. I have just shy of 300,000 on mine and know of others with the same longevity.

    drew
    Good to know! 300k wow that's legit old school Detroit Iron!
    1971 Porsche 911E
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E
    2007 Porsche GT3

  27. #17
    Senior Member ZombieBranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    222

    Re: G spotted

    Quote Originally Posted by sheward View Post
    I would own this if I had more land. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...726573070.html $8000.?

    drew
    so that work out to about $1 per pound right? lol what a beast!
    1971 Porsche 911E
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E
    2007 Porsche GT3

  28. #18
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    607

    Re: G spotted

    Quote Originally Posted by sheward View Post
    This may be of interest ACE10. Seems below market value. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/c...725909138.html

    drew
    My knowledge of FJ40s is extremely limited. And in terms of plans, it's probably the final model I will add. The 40 market is a bit flooded with south american "restos" which really tend to muddy the pricing data. I know a lot of people looking for 40s but they are casual shoppers who are simply looking because they know it's a cool vehicle. I would probably jump on a pristine FJ55 if one came along. And I'm specifically looking for a 1985 FJ60. Along with an imported FZJ70, which probably won't happen.

    I missed this one a couple of months ago. Didn't know it was on the market. Sold for all the money, but it's a rare beast in terms of condition and importability.

    http://houseofcruisers.com/1993-fzj70-red/

    Venezuela is basically the only source market.

    That red 40 on CL is probably priced not too far off the mark, but it is slathered is black mystery goop on the underside, which will push away most buyers due to the obvious rust concerns on old Japanese iron.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  29. #19
    E500E Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rural NoVA
    Posts
    607

    Re: G spotted

    All that Doka Mog needs is a tip bed. And an RV-sized garage space.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

  30. #20
    E500E Guru sheward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cumming, Georgia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: G spotted

    I restored a 40 in the 70s with a V8. I know little about the newer ones.

    drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

  31. #21
    Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.
    gerryvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    17,813

    G spotted

    “OJ Bronco”

    LoL!

    Forever tarred and feathered as such, fortunately to some with OJ fantasies, unfortunately to others.

    Much like the “drug dealer” / Miami Vice / “rich athlete” stigma that SEC coupe owners had to live with during the 1990s.

    I am still looking for the stashed cocaine that all SECs are supposed to have in them left over from the 1980s. I’ve had the interior completely apart many times & never found it.

    Cheers,
    Gerry

Similar Threads

  1. Spotted E34
    By 036 in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 01:09 PM
  2. Spotted in the wild.
    By jeff0093 in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2016, 07:22 PM
  3. Spotted in Geneva
    By need2speed in forum Member Roadtrips and Project Journals
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM
  4. I was spotted
    By szvook in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM
  5. Spotted San Ramon
    By 500Espot in forum Street and Strip
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •